Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Efkie

International
International Member
Yo! Some of us are recurring posters. Let's consider standardizing some shit. First off, what platform are you trading on and why?

I'm currently on the Ameritrade think or swim platform. I learned last year Rohinhood wasn't the move but I appreciate
their platform reintroducing me to the trading world. I am indebted to them but that where it ends.

After I graduate from Ameritrade I will advance to Tastyworks since think or swim is actually antiquated (compared to
tastyworks). But they have plenty of resources to further me in the field plus it seems common.

I'm steeped in equities with options and soon to be oriented into futures with options.
I realized reading books and watching youtube videos is barely starting the journey after conversing
with a retired stockbroker around when "options" was exotic in the 70s. I was born in the seventies, y'all.

I recommend having an experienced fellow chin check you even if you have to pay instead of wasting time thinking
you're on the right course. I've listened to folks I'd pay money to dictate their fuck ups on paper. ijs.

Antiquated ?, what did I miss ?

To answer your question I trade at

Tastyworks, because Thinkorswim did not accept European accounts.
And they have the best option interface IMO after ThinkorSwim.

DEGIRO because the broker which has very cheap commisions here in Holland.
Lately the platform is performing bad, so I mostly use them for longterm NL and EU Stockpositions.

Lynx / ( Interactive Brokers introducing broker )
Well, everywhere I look on the internet everbody said the same. "Did you look at Interactive Brokers ?"
I investigated them. Platform looks horrible ( old ass Lotus 1-2-3 interface)
@tical, where you at ?
Anton said the trading platform is for execution only. Remember ? :lol:

SO why IB?

They got a lot of good stuff going on
- more asset classes then you need ( stocks, bonds, futures, options CFD's, warrants etc)
- a lot of International Exchanges
- low commissions
- low loan margin rate
- no fee for options exercise
- choice of execution
Still I hate how the platform looks.
Hard to get started but thanks her and especially him I'm doing better.

CONs
Customer service can be a thing.
Charting is not the best
inactivity fee if you don't generate at least 20$ of commissions per month
data fees (Waived if you generate a certain amount of commissions)
More stuff

The 20$ commisions a month don't bother me since I partake in at least 3 spx expirations per week.

There are better brokers that then IB in each specific category's but there are not a lot of brokers who offer such a complete package to retail traders.

Last edited:

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
My trades today, $NIO put, $CCL call, $FUBO put, $NNOX put (still in this one - might regret not selling.).

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
These were scalps, in and out during it's drop this morning. I am bullish on NIO overall, I own shares and I want to see it hit $45 next week.
Yea I added more nio...elon gave it a boost at the end of the day...I have 6 65c leaps now...want like 12 lol

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Palantir: Ark Is Buying, I Am Buying, New Contracts Have Wet Ink And 2 New Sectors Could Be On The Horizon
Apr. 09, 2021 9:00 AM ETPalantir Technologies Inc. (PLTR)154 Comments83 Likes
Summary
  • Palantir continues to expand their relationship with the U.S. government as several new contracts have been signed under the Biden Administration.
  • Palantir has invested in Sarcos and Lilium which could be the future of aviation and robotics. Doors may be opening for Palantir to create software infrastructure for two new industries.
  • ARK Invest and Cathie Wood continue to add aggressively to their position in Palantir.
  • I continue adding to my position in PLTR as this has the potential to become one of the best opportunities in the 2020s.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Stocks To Watch: Coinbase Debuts And Big Banks Lead Out Earnings Season

Apr. 10, 2021 8:00 AM ETAAPL, ALKT...17 Comments23 Likes

Welcome to Seeking Alpha's Stocks to Watch - a preview of key events scheduled for the next week. Follow this account and turn the e-mail alert on to receive this article in your inbox every Saturday morning. A podcast of Stocks to Watch is also available on Sundays on Seeking Alpha, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify (click the highlighted links).

The earnings season starts off with major banks reporting next week along with PepsiCo (NASDAQ:PEP) and Delta Air Lines. Analysts expect profits for the first quarter to be up 24.2%, led by huge gains in the consumer discretionary sector against the pandemic comparable a year ago. Last quarter, about 80% of companies beat earnings estimates in Q4, but only 42% saw a share price increase on earnings day. The week ahead will be busy on the economic front as well, with the Fed's Beige Book, the Empire State Manufacturing Index report, industrial production data and the retail sales report all due in. Meanwhile, the IPO market heats up with self-driving truck startup TuSimple (TSP) and digital banking platform Alkami Technology (ALKT) both expected to start trading. In the crypto world, all eyes will be watching closely how the direct listing of Coinbase (COIN) on April 14 goes down with investors.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wsup Fam. Need some Roth IRA advice
I converted a 401K into a Roth IRA at my part time job. How do I change the fund where my money is going into. I have the Roth with Fidelity.

thanks

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Wsup Fam. Need some Roth IRA advice
I converted a 401K into a Roth IRA at my part time job. How do I change the fund where my money is going into. I have the Roth with Fidelity.

thanks

Are you trying to redistribute money within the IRA to new funds, OR are you talking about future contributions/money going forward in the IRA? If you're talking future contributions, then you can either set up automatic investments or you can pick/trade for the stocks/funds manually when the money is credited in your account.

***** Edit. Rebalance is the word I'm looking for. I have fidelity Roth/Traditional IRAs, but haven't rebalanced anything just yet. Once I hit 40, I'll take a look, but here's a video on rebalancing with fidelity:

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are you trying to redistribute money within the IRA to new funds, OR are you talking about future contributions/money going forward in the IRA? If you're talking future contributions, then you can either set up automatic investments or you can pick/trade for the stocks/funds manually when the money is credited in your account.

***** Edit. Rebalance is the word I'm looking for. I have fidelity Roth/Traditional IRAs, but haven't rebalanced anything just yet. Once I hit 40, I'll take a look, but here's a video on rebalancing with fidelity:

Thanks for your response and the video. I’m trying to rebalance my funds and start contributing. Right now it’s set up as a SPAXX and I’m trying to see if I can put the funds I already have in it into something else.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Thanks for your response and the video. I’m trying to rebalance my funds and start contributing. Right now it’s set up as a SPAXX and I’m trying to see if I can put the funds I already have in it into something else.

Ok, I think I got it. So SPAXX is just the money market fund your contributions are stored in. This is your 'core' position and will be amount that you'll trade from in your IRA. A couple of ways you can go about this
  • If all your money is in SPAXX, then you can just manually trade for various stocks/funds you want in your IRA (up to the SPAXX balance amount). Hit the Trade button (top left on the desktop site), select your Roth account and have at it.
  • If you have other funds/stock in the IRA other than SPAXX, then you'll have to manually sell the 'old' funds/stock and purchase the 'new' funds/stock to rebalance. Not as simple as the 401(k)/403(b) because you'll have to calculate the %'s/$amounts you want to rebalance to for each fund.
    • Be sure to be careful w/ selling mutual funds w/ no-load (upfront) fees since in order to not be charge a fee, you have to hold on to the mutual fund for 'X' number of years. These are called B Share mutual funds not to be confused w/ Fidelity's Zero Fee funds, which are truly no fee funds.
  • To set-up future auto contributions for your IRA, you'll need to navigate to 'Accounts & Trade' (top left of screen on desktop) to the 'Account Features'. Then 'Payments & Transfers' to 'Automatic Transfers and Investments'. Right now, I have my Roth setup to pull from my bank account $X dollars and invest in 5 different mutual funds/index funds per month. Again, it's a bit more manual than the 401(k)/403(b).
Looking at this, it makes me wonder if other brokages (Merrill, Vanguard, etc.) have an easier way of doing this.

Last edited:

L_SON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who's long in $CCIV? I keep seeing Licid Air commercials, YouTube vids, and shit all on the internet. I don't think it will be a Tesla killer, but do you think it could be a runner against them?

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Who's long in $CCIV? I keep seeing Licid Air commercials, YouTube vids, and shit all on the internet. I don't think it will be a Tesla killer, but do you think it could be a runner against them?

I was crazy about their potential, but their delays soured me a bit and the botched merger didn't help. I'm waiting for them to start production to decide what's next for me.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok, I think I got it. So SPAXX is just the money market fund your contributions are stored in. This is your 'core' position and will be amount that you'll trade from in your IRA. A couple of ways you can go about this
  • If all your money is in SPAXX, then you can just manually trade for various stocks/funds you want in your IRA (up to the SPAXX balance amount). Hit the Trade button (top left on the desktop site), select your Roth account and have at it.
  • If you have other funds/stock in the IRA other than SPAXX, then you'll have to manually sell the 'old' funds/stock and purchase the 'new' funds/stock to rebalance. Not as simple as the 401(k)/403(b) because you'll have to calculate the %'s/$amounts you want to rebalance to for each fund.
    • Be sure to be careful w/ selling mutual funds w/ no-load (upfront) fees since in order to not be charge a fee, you have to hold on to the mutual fund for 'X' number of years. These are called B Share mutual funds not to be confused w/ Fidelity's Zero Fee funds, which are truly no fee funds.
  • To set-up future auto contributions for your IRA, you'll need to navigate to 'Accounts & Trade' (top left of screen on desktop) to the 'Account Features'. Then 'Payments & Transfers' to 'Automatic Transfers and Investments'. Right now, I have my Roth setup to pull from my bank account $X dollars and invest in 5 different mutual funds/index funds per month. Again, it's a bit more manual than the 401(k)/403(b).
Looking at this, it makes me wonder if other brokages (Merrill, Vanguard, etc.) have an easier way of doing this.
Thanks brother.

L_SON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was crazy about their potential, but their delays soured me a bit and the botched merger didn't help. I'm waiting for them to start production to decide what's next for me.
Yeah, I saw that they missed production due to covid, and they should get something going by the end of this year.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Yeah, I saw that they missed production due to covid, and they should get something going by the end of this year.
They missed production times because the CEO was going to put out an unfinished/unrefined product. He had to be reigned in and told by PIPE investors to wait.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
15 stocks is already a bad idea to grow a small account.
Spreading yourself thin and how does a retail investor find the time to do a thorough research on 15 companies to invest in?

I think her results and commentary agree with what you're saying. She's giving an update on where she is vs where she started out and how she got there (how many holdings she started with/ has and how they've panned out so far).

It's not necessarily about following her lead, but about learning from other folks good and bad experiences.

I will say that the way M1 works, with self made pie allocations and fractional shares, when you choose your companies you're essentially making your own ETF. Instead of simply buying VTI or VOO. Which some ppl prefer.

I also think there is a space above novice noob and below expert where a lot of retail investors sit these days.... and do thoroughly research a ton of companies (myself included).

Last edited:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
15 stocks is already a bad idea to grow a small account.
Spreading yourself thin and how does a retail investor find the time to do a thorough research on 15 companies to invest in?

in the past 20 years if you were invested in apple, amazon, tesla only you would have beaten the market.

Sure 15 is on the low side of being diversified but it is not bad. There is no set in stone rule for investing.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

long for now

330 shares at around 32

june 30th is the merger date
might run up to 60 by then
if thats the case ill take profits

otherwise i'll keep averaging down
I expect it might drop lower than 20 before it rises