Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I had my cuz mention it to me could have been at that time i dunno.. nicca really couldnt explain it to me thats when i knew he didnt set it up.. proly his wife. I wish i would have as well..but sometimes even in this case better late than never!

For sure. That's def been my mentality: I started late but it's ALL about buying my time back little by little and see what options my little snowball can provide me going forward.

What's interesting, I was talking to my barber who is 23 about a Roth yesterday at the barbershop....Mentoring has always been apart of my DNA and even though I am not mentoring high school kids anymore (15 years while working a full time and part time job) will put a toll on you, I still try to give game to the youngins out here..Tried to explain to him how he could be setting good in 20 years if he starts investing strategically right now at his age....

Told him about the power of a ROTH and told him to google Peter Thiel...lol

But you both right, I set up my Roth about 2 years ago and man I wish I did it sooner, but it's still better than later....I think less than 10% of Americans have one...

If that less than 10% number is accurate, that's crazy to me. But kind of along the same lines, I can understand. On the one hand, I think (hope) that a lot of folks view their 401K as "enough" and don't really see the value in "wasting more money" on a 2nd retirement account when they're tryna eat. When I look at it like that, I can see how folks might view it as a luxury, in a way.

But, something I've been guilty of too: they don't realize the value of being able to invest, compound and having that all be tax free in a Roth.

Also, I know when I was in my 20s, 40 seemed old and mad far away. Almost like it was so far in the future it wasn't real lol. It takes a lot for someone at that age to REALLY have the foresight unless they get spoken to directly by someone at that older age who has done what they are trying to convince them to do. They need to see it to believe it (I think that would have impacted me in hindsight).

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

This is big

..damn the last split seems like just yesterday to me!

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For sure. That's def been my mentality: I started late but it's ALL about buying my time back little by little and see what options my little snowball can provide me going forward.

If that less than 10% number is accurate, that's crazy to me. But kind of along the same lines, I can understand. On the one hand, I think (hope) that a lot of folks view their 401K as "enough" and don't really see the value in "wasting more money" on a 2nd retirement account when they're tryna eat. When I look at it like that, I can see how folks might view it as a luxury, in a way.

But, something I've been guilty of too: they don't realize the value of being able to invest, compound and having that all be tax free in a Roth.

Also, I know when I was in my 20s, 40 seemed old and mad far away. Almost like it was so far in the future it wasn't real lol. It takes a lot for someone at that age to REALLY have the foresight unless they get spoken to directly by someone at that older age who has done what they are trying to convince them to do. They need to see it to believe it (I think that would have impacted me in hindsight).
Yeah my bad...It's 25% of Americans with a ROTH...
I hate giving out inaccurate information, so I had to google it....lol

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
they don't realize the value of being able to invest, compound and having that all be tax free in a Roth.

Also, I know when I was in my 20s, 40 seemed old and mad far away. Almost like it was so far in the future it wasn't real lol. It takes a lot for someone at that age to REALLY have the foresight unless they get spoken to directly by someone at that older age who has done what they are trying to convince them to do. They need to see it to believe it (I think that would have impacted me in hindsight
I know i felt the same way...someone would have to had really shown me for me to get it and do it! & Tax free that shit is a beast!

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Did he say not to invest??

The only person on EYL that gives out good information is Troy
He said he would invest because some china shit that was going on.(but the company is ok)..im like whatever with this dude! Then facebook and many other companies he has been wrong about and i have been right about myself just doing simple homework on many companies! Just glad i know how to do work myself instead of depending on someone elses work! O yeah and troy info usually is always solid!!

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He said he would invest because some china shit that was going on.(but the company is ok)..im like whatever with this dude! Then facebook and many other companies he has been wrong about and i have been right about myself just doing simple homework on many companies! Just glad i know how to do work myself instead of depending on someone elses work!
Yeah I think I saw the show he mentioned Meta was trash or something like that.

Yeah it’s best to do your own research.

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He said he would invest because some china shit that was going on.(but the company is ok)..im like whatever with this dude! Then facebook and many other companies he has been wrong about and i have been right about myself just doing simple homework on many companies! Just glad i know how to do work myself instead of depending on someone elses work! O yeah and troy info usually is always solid!!
he have said so many companies were dead and they werent.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i read an article suggesting that this wouldnt be a good idea because the US lacks skilled chip workers. i think it also said it's already been tried, as in there is a factory already in the states that manufactures chips but for the same reason as i mentioned, it hasn't been operating to its fullest potential
Yeh I know it’s a lot of money in the CHIPS Act for STEM training and workforce development.

The CHIPS and Science Act will establish a technology, innovation, and partnerships directorate at the National Science Foundation (NSF) to focus on fields like semiconductors and advanced computing, advanced communications technology, advanced energy technologies, quantum information technologies, and biotechnology. It will strengthen commercialization of research and technology, ensuring that what is invented in America is made in America. The Act will also reauthorize and expand fundamental and use-inspired research at the Department of Energy Office of Science and the National Institute of Standards and Technology to sustain U.S. leadership in the sciences and engineering as the engine for American innovation.

• Catalyze regional economic growth and development. The CHIPS and Science Act authorizes $10 billion to invest in regional innovation and technology hubs across the country, bringing together state and local governments, institutes of higher education, labor unions, businesses, and community-based organizations to create regional partnerships to develop technology, innovation, and manufacturing sectors.

These hubs will create jobs, spur regional economic development, and position communities throughout the country to lead in high-growth, high-wage sectors such as artificial intelligence, advanced manufacturing, and clean energy technology. It also authorizes a $1 billion RECOMPETE pilot program at the Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration (EDA) to alleviate persistent economic distress and support long-term comprehensive economic development and job creation in the most distressed communities.
  • Provide STEM opportunities to more of America to participate in good-paying skilled jobs. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education and workforce development activities are critical to developing skills needed for taking on the highly-skilled jobs of the emerging industries built on technologies of the future. To ensure more people from all backgrounds and all regions and communities around the country, especially people from marginalized, under-served, and under-resourced communities, can benefit from and participate in STEM education and training opportunities, the CHIPS and Science Act authorizes new and expanded investments in STEM education and training from K-12 to community college, undergraduate and graduate education.

• Drive opportunity and equity for all of America in STEM and innovation. The legislation authorizes investments to expand the geographic and institutional diversity of research institutions and the students and researchers they serve, including new initiatives to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other minority-serving institutions, and other academic institutions providing opportunities to historically-underserved students and communities, primarily through the National Science Foundation (NSF). The CHIPS and Science Act also broadens the geographic diversity of research and innovation funding to leverage the talent and ideas found all across America. The legislation also gives agencies and institutions the mission and the tools to combat sexual and gender-based harassment in the sciences, a demonstrated barrier to participation in STEM for too many Americans. Through these investments and initiatives, the bill would support learners, educators, and researchers at minority-serving and emerging research institutions and in rural communities, as well as broaden participation to include people of all backgrounds and experiences, driving the creation of a STEM ecosystem that looks like and benefits all of America.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

Mar 9, 2024

The Shiller PE ratio or the CAPE PE ratio (cyclically adjusted price to earnings ratio) that uses 10 year average earnings to calculate the price to earnings ratio. The Shiller PE ratio is used to smoothen short term impacts like recession and other earnings issues. For example, during the 2007/2009 great financial crisis, the PE ratio went above 100 due to low earnings but the CAPE ratio went down to indicate the cheapness of the market. Low Shiller PE ratio leads to higher returns and a high usually leads to lower returns. We show regression analyses to confirm the thesis.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

Mar 9, 2024

When we think of US stocks we think of mega-cap tech stocks with huge profit growth and low dividends. Some of the most colossal tech giants in the US are now opening their cash vaults to pay dividends. This unexpected twist begs the question: Is this the beginning of a new era where growth stocks deliver less growth? In this video I take a look at why things are changing, what this means for investors and whether this really is an end to the era of high growth.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Need to make my RRSP and TFSA contributions in the near future.

The RRSP amount isn't too much though as pension plan contributions cut too much into that available amount. The TFSA (tax-free savings account) max' allowable for 2024 is $7000 - and the good thing about that is you can invest it anywhere you want. Savings, GIC, mutual funds, ETF, whatever. The TFSA has been in place since 2009. The lowest annual contribution space being $5000, and the highest-ever was $10,000. Primarily in the 5000 - 6500 range though.

I wish I had more RRSP (registered retirement savings) space though (to lower taxable income) as investment income bumps my taxable earnings up too much.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Have a bunch of stuff maturing between April 2024 - April 2025.

I need to weigh out the options (pros / cons) as I don't want to make my taxable income too high.

The TFSA / RRSP stuff is for retirement and I don't need to touch it for another 20+ years.

The other regular GICs I don't mind re-investing or just moving around.

50,000 GIC matures April 20th

6500 TFSA GIC matures April 20th

2000 RRSP GIC matures April 21st

100,000 GIC matures May 4th

51,000 GIC matures Sept. 5th

90,172 TFSA GIC matures Oct. 31st

145,705 RRSP GIC matures Jan. 18th

110,000 GIC matures April 11th

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk