Afrobeats superstar Burna Boy "Brothers in the US have been stripped of their knowledge of self"

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
3837.jpg

"The only way we can move forward is if we all know that Africa is our home and make sure our home is a place that is respected
Burna Boy believes there’s something deeper at work when it comes to his popularity in the UK. “Most of the people from the UK, if not all the black people from the UK, and the people of colour – they all know where they’re from,” he says. “They know exactly where their roots are.” This, he says, makes it easier for people to tune into his wavelength. It took longer for his music to find an audience in the US; this, he says, is a consequence of African Americans not having the same close connection with Africa. “Unfortunately, the brothers in the US have been stripped of their whole knowledge of self,” he says. “So it’s a bit harder for them, you know?” When he collaborated with the US rappers YG and Future, he said he was “bringing my brothers home”.

There’s a whole generation of African – and often Nigerian – artists who, along with Burna Boy, have taken the Afrobeats sound global. Davido, Wizkid, Olamide, Naira Marley, Tiwa Savage and Zlatan – all have had success in Europe or the US, but Burna Boy is a slightly different proposition. His aesthetic borrows from hip-hop’s sartorial playbook: thick gold chains adorn his neck, he has a vast collection of rings, and when he smiles he often reveals gold- and jewel-encrusted teeth grills. Tattoos cover most of his upper body, arms and hands. But even here, Africa (and specifically Nigeria) is everywhere. His tattoos include a brick wall with the names of family members written on it, and there’s a portrait of Fela Kuti on his left forearm. The title of his first album, Leaving An Impact For Eternity, has also been inked, and he has the phrase “Omo Naija” – child of Nigeria – above the country’s coat of arms on his shoulder.

When in June this year he won a BET award for best international male, he used the moment to make a point about Africa, colonialism and Black Lives Matter. “I’d like to use this opportunity to say that some time around 1835, there was a mission to turn Africa into a dominated nation,” he said, after being congratulated by Naomi Campbell via video link. “Now is the time to overturn that, and go back to the royalty that we were, because, in order for black lives to matter, Africa must matter.” The year before, he managed to miss picking up his award, but his mum – who is also his manager – stepped in, telling the audience that he’d want to say, “Every black person should please remember that you were Africans before you became anything else.” A sample of her speech appears on African Giant.

Why did he make that point specifically? “I feel like the only way we can move forward is if we all know that this is our home and we make sure our home is a place that is respected,” he says. “Once everybody respects your home, then they have no choice but to respect you.” He says the problem is worse for black people in America, because “you can’t demand respect in the place where they don’t believe that you belong”. When I ask if he supports Black Lives Matter he says: “I’m more of an NFAC kind of guy,” referring to the Not Fucking Around Coalition, the armed African-American group made up of ex-military personnel that has been compared to the Black Panthers. While most stars might dance around a subject like this, and offer a general comment about anti-racism, Burna is happy to jump in with both feet and back a group whose leader has advocated for the state of Texas becoming an independent country for African-Americans. This isn’t safe ground for pop stars, but Burna clearly doesn’t see himself as just that – his goals are much bigger. He’s said previously that his aim is “the eventual unity of Africa”, and to understand his philosophy you need to go back to his childhood.

Born Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu on 2 July 1991 in the oil city of Port Harcourt in south-east Nigeria, Burna Boy says he knew he was going to be a star from the age of two. As a toddler, he would dance and sing when his parents took him to restaurants. When he was a little older, he fell in love with US rappers such as Naughty By Nature, DMX, Big Pun and Busta Rhymes via his uncle, while his father introduced him to the dancehall of Buju Banton. He describes his upbringing as being “not too rich, not poor” but it’s fair to say it was comfortable. His father worked in construction, while his mother was a translator for the West African Chambers of Commerce; she is fluent in French, Italian and German. Meanwhile, his maternal grandfather managed Fela Kuti’s career. What was a typical weekend like in the Burna Boy household when he was growing up? “My grandfather playing Afrobeat, usually Fela, my dad working on the barbecue, and my mum just causing a scene,” he says. “And me trying to find a corner to smoke some weed.”

As a teenager he was rebellious, and not particularly gifted at school. In the early 2010s he came to London to continue his education, but when I ask him whether it was university or college, he won’t engage: “All of that,” he says, dismissively. In the end, he never attended a class, and instead spent his time with friends in Brixton. Like his hero Fela Kuti, he came to the UK for an academic education and got one in music instead, taking back some of the grime and slang he’d heard in south London to Lagos. It was then that he began to make his own music, which at that point was closer to the US R&B he used to watch on MTV. “Only later, when I started finding myself and understanding who I am, did I start appreciating African music and everything my grandad had been trying to put into my hands since I was a kid,” he says."

@Amajorfucup @Soul On Ice @xfactor @VAiz4hustlaz

Dude is basically saying his shit dont sell here cuz we lost and not as cultured as the continent or the UK so we cant appreciate it. :lol:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Guy makes a living off an artform that "borrows" heavily from all American Black music, but finds a way to shit on Black American culture in the process. Sounds like your typical ingrate immigrant to me. Bragging about the view while standing on our shoulders. :lol:

Last edited:

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I rock with him, as he is talented, but his music is a rip from a mix of Hip Hop and Reggae voice patterns, on top of some dope ass multi layered drum production coming out of Africa, right now. I have followed his career for awhile and his sound pre "outside" is significantly different, and dare I say not as entertaining.

I get his point, but the tone of the article, certainly smells of Nigerian elitism.

I firmly believe that Pan Africanism works best for all Africans....but he needs to stop with this type angle without recognizing, that we got tribalism problems and identify issues in America, but shiiiiit so do they.

Make a Bridge between us, but in a better way, not by trying soft criticize. This aint it. Also stop with the n...a shit throughout his songs. I ain't playing that shit at the multi generational BBQ.

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
Guy makes a living off an artform that "borrows" heavily from all American black music, but finds a way to shit on black American culture in the process. Sounds like your typical ingrate immigrant to me. Bragging about the view while standing on our shoulders. :lol:
So old, yet so ignorant. Smfh.

‘Rap has developed in the motherland by storytellers of wisdom
No wonder we're best-sellers’

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
However misguided his understanding of his recent success, he did call Blacks in the diaspora “Brothers,” secondly, he said he was going to “bring his brothers home.” Lastly, he said he identifies with the NFAC a more militant movement, which is interesting because he could’ve said, “I don’t relate.”

IMO Afrobeats success has more to do with the many markets available to stream and promote the music. If a kid does a TikTok dance to an Afrobeat song it can reach millions in days. Old town roads success was due to it’s popularity on TikTok and other platforms.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So old, yet so ignorant. Smfh.

‘Rap has developed in the motherland by storytellers of wisdom
No wonder we're best-sellers’
Shut up you uneducated funky bitch. His premise is that Black americans are less cultured and less in tune with their roots. Which is not only patently ahistorical, its also flat out hypocritical coming from a black nigerian/limey using Black american culture to make a living... Further, their entire black power and african identity movement was BIRTHED in the US by American born blacks who literally taught them how to love themselves and organize for black liberation.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
However misguided his understanding of his recent success, he did call Blacks in the diaspora “Brothers,” secondly, he said he was going to “bring his brothers home.” Lastly, he said he identifies with the NFAC a more militant movement, which is interesting because he could’ve said, “I don’t relate.”

IMO Afrobeats success has more to do with the many markets available to stream and promote the music. If a kid does a TikTok dance to an Afrobeat song it can reach millions in days. Old town roads success was due to it’s popularity on TikTok and other platforms.

Thats why we not calling him a coon. Just very ignorant to the ADOS culture he's influenced by. I dont doubt he's a militant Pan African, but Pan Africanism allowing him to hold these sentiments is a problem. ADOS musical artists dont make statements like this when it comes to the continent.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Shut up you uneducated funky bitch. His premise is that Black americans are less cultured and less in tune with their roots. Which is not only patently ahistorical, its also flat out hypocritical coming from a black nigerian/limey using Black american culture to make a living... Further, their entire black power and african identity movement was BIRTHED in the US by American born blacks who literally taught them how to love themselves and organize for black liberation.

Now all these people tell us we're the biggest coons and they are the militant fighters against WS. :lol:

I know for a fact some of the leaders of the Liberian coup in the 80s went to HBCUs. Alot of African leaders done came over here for schooling then went back and got empowered, not the other way around. We need to teach our brothers in the diaspora about the Mississippi River. The true Nile the last 200 years. So much greatness has emerged from the Black Belt, the Delta, the Piedmont that has shaped the world. Burna Boy needs to study his lessons, he's behind.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now all these people tell us we're the biggest coons and they are the militant fighters against WS. :lol:

I know for a fact some of the leaders of the Liberian coup in the 80s went to HBCUs. Alot of African leaders done came over here for schooling then went back and got empowered, not the other way around. We need to teach our brothers in the diaspora about the Mississippi River. The true Nile the last 200 years. So much greatness has emerged from the Black Belt, the Delta, the Piedmont that has shaped the world. Burna Boy needs to study his lessons, he's behind.

Hold On now bruh,

You talkin about the mighty Holy Mississippi river being the TRUE NILE....

you sure that bruh from England is ready for the next level of information??

He think he ahead on info, he dont know he running on shit we were talking about

in the sixties.... he is like fifty years behind.. LOL but I do like his spunk,

its just madly misguided, you can tell he doesnt deal with americans, except for the likes of future..

so I can see where he makes his generalizations...

not mad at him at all.. I just know his mind will be blown if he came and really talked to some brothers here..

brothers on futures level, came into money and never really developed a sense of self...before hittign the big stage,

they are actually the worst people we want traveling around the world repping us... but its all by design....

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thats why we not calling him a coon. Just very ignorant to the ADOS culture he's influenced by. I dont doubt he's a militant Pan African, but Pan Africanism allowing him to hold these sentiments is a problem. ADOS musical artists dont make statements like this when it comes to the continent.

I wouldn’t ascribe those statements to the Pan African Movement. It sounds more like he’s been YouTubing Farrakhan or Malcolm X.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What? You talking about rap music? Cause that is borrowed from Dancehall/Reggae.
Jamaicans created Rap Music. Go ask Cool Herc about that.

Guy makes a living off an artform that "borrows" heavily from all American Black music, but finds a way to shit on Black American culture in the process. Sounds like your typical ingrate immigrant to me. Bragging about the view while standing on our shoulders. :lol:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Burna Boy just being as nice as he is for tv.
Truth is, he hates American Blacks.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What? You talking about rap music? Cause that is borrowed from Dancehall/Reggae.
More revisionist and misinformed bullshit. Herc is a pioneer. The foundation sits on Black american soul and funk music. This is not debatable. Rap Music was NOT created by Jamaicans. Further, no one is discounting the contributions to the art form made by blacks born in the carribbean. We are correcting those who discount the creations of ADOS.
Burna Boy just being as nice as he is for tv.
Truth is, he hates American Blacks.
I think we are the ones being nice in our rebut. His hatred and ignorance are readily apparent to all.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cool Herc is Jamaican.
Cool Herc created Rap Music.

More revisionist and misinformed bullshit. Herc is a pioneer. The foundation sits on Black american soul and funk music. This is not debatable. Rap Music was NOT created by Jamaicans. Further, no one is discounting the contributions to the art form made by blacks born in the carribbean. We are correcting those who discount the creations of ADOS.

I think we are the ones being nice in our rebut. His hatred and ignorance are readily apparent to all.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
Kool who?....
Rap didnt come from the Garrisons of Jamaica and/or Jamaican immigrants........It came from the "Killing fields of the "American South"
Herc being the Father is undeniable.
But I often have to remind Jamaicans that what he did wasn't rooted in Jamaican culture.
Then, they always bring up "toasting."
But the pioneers of "toasting" freely admit that they heard it on New Orleans and Miami radio stations first and copied it. The DJ's was talking that slick shit that Frankie Crocker later would become famous for.
(Coincidentally, the first rappers in NYC like DJ Hollywood and Coke La Rock were really emulating Crocker)

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
But I often have to remind Jamaicans that what he did wasn't rooted in Jamaican culture.
But the pioneers of "toasting" freely admit that they heard it on New Orleans and Miami radio stations first. The DJ's was talking that slick shit that Frankie Crocker later would become famous for.
(Coincidentally, the first rappers in NYC like DJ Hollywood and Coke La Rock were really emulating Crocker)

I agree, Herc had alot of to do with the formation of the "culture", but if we are just talking about the musical aspect of the culture (i.e. rap), it came from Black America (by way of Gospel, Blues, Jazz Scat, Negro Spirituals, etc.)

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That is true.

Things were great until the white colonists started to arrive.

the African culture vulture is no better than the Neanderthals that he looks up to.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No rapper alive has ever been influenced by these people. Stop with your bullshit.

Kool who?....

Rap didnt come from the Garrisons of Jamaica and/or Jamaican immigrants........It came from the "Killing fields of the American South"

The Jubilaires been doing it since the 30s-40s

....and Pigmeat Markham made this in the 60s

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Herc wasn't listening to no american funk and soul. He was listening to dancehall and reggae.
Even battling is taken from sound clashes.
Fuck outta here boy.

Herc was born in Jamaica. Raised and reared in the Bronx..
Herc was a pioneer of the artform which has its foundation in BLACK AMERICAN FUNK and SOUL... made on American soil and in Black american neighborhoods using Black American culture.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lies.
Shout out to Frankie Crocker though. He was influential LATER ON.

But the pioneers of "toasting" freely admit that they heard it on New Orleans and Miami radio stations first and copied it. The DJ's was talking that slick shit that Frankie Crocker later would become famous for.

Kwame Coltrane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They were Americanized Jamaicans. People always bring this shit up. Like old school rap was rhyming over Peter Tosh. The set up mimicked a sound clash, but the elements were all black. James Brown and break beats, break dancing, graffiti were not Jamaican.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why did you say "black" like that? What does "black" mean to you?

Why did you mention "break dancing and graffiti"?

Herc created rap music.

"Americanized Jamaicans". Hmmm. Nice try.

I am not going to jump to conclusions so I am asking questions first.

They were Americanized Jamaicans. People always bring this shit up. Like old school rap was rhyming over Peter Tosh. The set up mimicked a sound clash, but the elements were all black. James Brown and break beats, break dancing, graffiti were not Jamaican.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cause the people you mentioned are later on.
They are after Jamaicans created it.
Black America took their style and ran with it.
Only difference is the accents and type of beats used.
Hispanics did the same shit and called it Reggaeton.
Now Africans are taking it and calling it Afrobeats.

It is all Dancehall.

How?
It's fact that Hollywood and Coke La Rock were the first "rappers."
BOTH of them note Frankie Crocker as their influence.
How can the beginning be later on?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Herc is Jamaican right?
Did he create rap music or not?

Yea.. im done here. You sincerely dont have a fucking clue what you're talking about my man. Go educate yourself, then come back and apologize. Either that or just stfu and lurk. You're making a fool of yourself.