Afrobeats superstar Burna Boy "Brothers in the US have been stripped of their knowledge of self"

FLoss

“You better learn to work with the illegals nigga”
BGOL Investor
3837.jpg

"The only way we can move forward is if we all know that Africa is our home and make sure our home is a place that is respected
Burna Boy believes there’s something deeper at work when it comes to his popularity in the UK. “Most of the people from the UK, if not all the black people from the UK, and the people of colour – they all know where they’re from,” he says. “They know exactly where their roots are.” This, he says, makes it easier for people to tune into his wavelength. It took longer for his music to find an audience in the US; this, he says, is a consequence of African Americans not having the same close connection with Africa. “Unfortunately, the brothers in the US have been stripped of their whole knowledge of self,” he says. “So it’s a bit harder for them, you know?” When he collaborated with the US rappers YG and Future, he said he was “bringing my brothers home”.

There’s a whole generation of African – and often Nigerian – artists who, along with Burna Boy, have taken the Afrobeats sound global. Davido, Wizkid, Olamide, Naira Marley, Tiwa Savage and Zlatan – all have had success in Europe or the US, but Burna Boy is a slightly different proposition. His aesthetic borrows from hip-hop’s sartorial playbook: thick gold chains adorn his neck, he has a vast collection of rings, and when he smiles he often reveals gold- and jewel-encrusted teeth grills. Tattoos cover most of his upper body, arms and hands. But even here, Africa (and specifically Nigeria) is everywhere. His tattoos include a brick wall with the names of family members written on it, and there’s a portrait of Fela Kuti on his left forearm. The title of his first album, Leaving An Impact For Eternity, has also been inked, and he has the phrase “Omo Naija” – child of Nigeria – above the country’s coat of arms on his shoulder.

When in June this year he won a BET award for best international male, he used the moment to make a point about Africa, colonialism and Black Lives Matter. “I’d like to use this opportunity to say that some time around 1835, there was a mission to turn Africa into a dominated nation,” he said, after being congratulated by Naomi Campbell via video link. “Now is the time to overturn that, and go back to the royalty that we were, because, in order for black lives to matter, Africa must matter.” The year before, he managed to miss picking up his award, but his mum – who is also his manager – stepped in, telling the audience that he’d want to say, “Every black person should please remember that you were Africans before you became anything else.” A sample of her speech appears on African Giant.

Why did he make that point specifically? “I feel like the only way we can move forward is if we all know that this is our home and we make sure our home is a place that is respected,” he says. “Once everybody respects your home, then they have no choice but to respect you.” He says the problem is worse for black people in America, because “you can’t demand respect in the place where they don’t believe that you belong”. When I ask if he supports Black Lives Matter he says: “I’m more of an NFAC kind of guy,” referring to the Not Fucking Around Coalition, the armed African-American group made up of ex-military personnel that has been compared to the Black Panthers. While most stars might dance around a subject like this, and offer a general comment about anti-racism, Burna is happy to jump in with both feet and back a group whose leader has advocated for the state of Texas becoming an independent country for African-Americans. This isn’t safe ground for pop stars, but Burna clearly doesn’t see himself as just that – his goals are much bigger. He’s said previously that his aim is “the eventual unity of Africa”, and to understand his philosophy you need to go back to his childhood.

Born Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu on 2 July 1991 in the oil city of Port Harcourt in south-east Nigeria, Burna Boy says he knew he was going to be a star from the age of two. As a toddler, he would dance and sing when his parents took him to restaurants. When he was a little older, he fell in love with US rappers such as Naughty By Nature, DMX, Big Pun and Busta Rhymes via his uncle, while his father introduced him to the dancehall of Buju Banton. He describes his upbringing as being “not too rich, not poor” but it’s fair to say it was comfortable. His father worked in construction, while his mother was a translator for the West African Chambers of Commerce; she is fluent in French, Italian and German. Meanwhile, his maternal grandfather managed Fela Kuti’s career. What was a typical weekend like in the Burna Boy household when he was growing up? “My grandfather playing Afrobeat, usually Fela, my dad working on the barbecue, and my mum just causing a scene,” he says. “And me trying to find a corner to smoke some weed.”

As a teenager he was rebellious, and not particularly gifted at school. In the early 2010s he came to London to continue his education, but when I ask him whether it was university or college, he won’t engage: “All of that,” he says, dismissively. In the end, he never attended a class, and instead spent his time with friends in Brixton. Like his hero Fela Kuti, he came to the UK for an academic education and got one in music instead, taking back some of the grime and slang he’d heard in south London to Lagos. It was then that he began to make his own music, which at that point was closer to the US R&B he used to watch on MTV. “Only later, when I started finding myself and understanding who I am, did I start appreciating African music and everything my grandad had been trying to put into my hands since I was a kid,” he says."

@Amajorfucup @Soul On Ice @xfactor @VAiz4hustlaz

Dude is basically saying his shit dont sell here cuz we lost and not as cultured as the continent or the UK so we cant appreciate it. :lol:
I find it interesting that in every thread you start that exposes immigrants/transplants for attacking native Black Americans eventually turns into a narrative that YOU are the one creating division amongst black people globally. And this narrative comes primarily from...non-FBA and IMMIGRANTS. :lol:

Kwame Coltrane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bruh didn't Bob Marley admit he was inspired by American soul music...

I remember back in the day..

A Jamaican dude told me if its a hit in

America there is a good chance there will be a reggae version of it.

Curtis Mayfield "People get ready" = Bob Marley "One love"
War "Slipping into Darkness" = Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

Bob loved Curtis Mayfield

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
I've done this several time....
I've created a thread about it.

Black is a status / fiction. Its an illegal/ negative status. Black has no definition in the blacks law dictionary.

Black has no standing per the Dread Scott decision.

There are no laws or rights which obligate any white man to respect or treat a black person like a human being. The constitution does not apply to black people. It eas not drafted with them in mind.

Thank you, bruh!! I don't know what it's going to take to get our folks to understand black??

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
I find it interesting that in every thread you start that exposes immigrants/transplants for attacking native Black Americans eventually turns into a narrative that YOU are the one creating division amongst black people globally. And this narrative comes primarily from...non-FBA and IMMIGRANTS. :lol:

Its a way to keep to keep the "bottom caste" in their place. CACs do the same thing when an ADOS acknowledges white racism. They gang up, pounce, and victim blame rather than address said racism. The ones who do that like that McGuyver dude are racist as hell and look down on Black Americans. He jumps in any immigrant thread and attacks us exclusively then talks that unity bullshit. Its guilt basically. Alot of this shit is settler colonialism they practice in NYC. Majority rule and erasure, then they get online and try deebo us like they do the few ADOS in their enclave. I will always call out coonery foreign or domestic, dont care how these niggas feel about it.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Man reading this thread is fucking sad man......I'm so glad this isn't a true depiction of how reality really is. I'm so glad I don't hang around other black people who's primary focus is to divide and segregate themselves from other black people.

These guys are fucking idiots.

Now they are arguing about who invented what music. At the end of the day white folk made the most money and control that shit, so does that argument really matter?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
These guys are fucking idiots.

Now they are arguing about who invented what music. At the end of the day white folk made the most money and control that shit, so does that argument really matter?
No you funky bitch. We are debunking lies with the truth you ho ass nigga. And yes the truth matters whore.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
No you funky bitch. We are debunking lies with the truth you ho ass nigga. And yes the truth matters whore.

Dude, ain't you like 99yrs old? You ain't debunking shit. You probably forget everything You type as soon as you hit enter. You old prune looking bitch. You depends wearing bitch. Taking a nap 7 times a day bitch. You falling asleep in the middle of the bbq bitch. Mad at the world old bitch. Old enough to had reach retirement 3 times bitch. Eating apple sauce all day bitch.

marcvoi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's up with all these divisive posts where's the unity type of posts?

Find brothers from all walks of life that align with your goals and work build from there.
All that infighting is pointless and no wonder Evangelical Far Right are United consistently.

All this is distraction while Trump and supporters are in one accord. Trump posted series of tweets going at Biden using black faces of convicts and by the way how many Trump supporters are like sister
Maxine Waters? None!

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Dude, ain't you like 99yrs old? You ain't debunking shit. You probably forget everything You type as soon as you hit enter. You old prune looking bitch. You depends wearing bitch. Taking a nap 7 times a day bitch. You falling asleep in the middle of the bbq bitch. Mad at the world old bitch. Old enough to had reach retirement 3 times bitch. Eating apple sauce all day bitch.
Bitch, aint you like 60!? Old jokes from a nigga near male menopause? :confused: Are you fucking kidding me?

@keone , get this nigga off the stage.

mcguyver 70+

but chill yall

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
While i guarantee you you'd get yo monkey ass whupped by a 60 year old you ho ass nigga.

I bet you do wanna beat a nigga. You homo thug ass nigga.

WHOA WHOA WHOA did your masta teach you those words?

You was 60 15yrs ago in that "what's your age" thread bitch, and you was lying then to make yourself seem younger.

You the only faggit in the nursing home that be walking with a walker and switching, wid your old rusty creaking hips.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You the only faggit in the nursing home that be walking with a walker and switching, wid your old rusty creaking hips.
Vivid typed descriptions of niggas switching and they hips.. You sir, are a flaming faggot of the highest order.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
We cannot pretend that Black Americans, traditionally, and in aggregate have harbored the same resentment and attitudes of snobbery and judgement toward our foreign born brothers and sisters as they have toward us. Doing so is simply ahistorical. Period.

This is very true. :dunno:

The credit can def go each way. After giving it some thought, Black Americans do deserve far more credit than we're given when it comes to this subject in particular.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

burna-boy-twice-as-tall.jpeg

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First off.. never use "the coli" as a reference or source of anything in a remotely serious discussion. Secondly, any discussion you overheard at a BLM rally in DC was assuredly a rebuttal and/or continuation of ongoing sentiment native born Blacks have felt/heard from foreign born. Listen bro, If it wasnt, then it was an isolated conversation among a group of individuals. We cannot pretend that Black Americans, traditionally, and in aggregate have harbored the same resentment and attitudes of snobbery and judgement toward our foreign born brothers and sisters as they have toward us. Doing so is simply ahistorical. Period. We literally fought for civil rights and immigration gains which specifically benefited you all. We targeted you and welcomed you into our communities and universities knowing many of you would be refugees from war torn and civil war striken homelands. Nigga you hometeam... Do you think all them water head sunken eyed Ethiopians just so happened to settle in the U street corridor and just so happened to do it in the 60's? :smh:

This is true. A few Caribbean and Various w.african ladies ive dealt clued me in on the conversations they have about “yankees” or “akatas” behind the scenes,particularly between parents and their first gen children.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is true. A few Caribbean and Various w.african ladies ive dealt clued me in on the conversations they have about “yankees” or “akatas” behind the scenes,particularly between parents and their first gen children.
Absolutely. And the reality is the parallel discussion between AA and their children simply does not exist. No ethnic group in this nation has been more embracing and welcoming of outsiders than the Black American. ... To our detriment no less.

We literally died for civil rights gains and immigration reforms which allowed non AA blacks from Africa and the entire diaspora to come here and seek a better existence for themselves. Yet they come here and give us their ass to kiss.

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The AU had a call for reparations back in 93 and it had been drowned out.

The Carribbean nations,lead by jamaica i believe,had been calling for reparations for some time now.
Caricom reparations

This low level contempt that ADOS has received from non Ados Folk,especially within the last 4 years, is telling.

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Absolutely. And the reality is the parallel discussion between AA and their children simply does not exist. No ethnic group in this nation has been more embracing and welcoming of outsiders than the Black American. ... To our detriment no less.

We literally died for civil rights gains and immigration reforms which allowed non AA blacks from Africa and the entire diaspora to come here and seek a better existence for themselves. Yet they come here and give us their ass to kiss.

Alot of them often say they got made fun of as children,my response is,who doesnt? We crack on ourselves and everyone else? Did you think you were special? Above us perhaps,as your parents probably told you?

scullydog

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What? You talking about rap music? Cause that is borrowed from Dancehall/Reggae.
Jamaicans created Rap Music. Go ask Cool Herc about that.
Langston Hughes was rapping over music in the 1950's. African Griots would deliver whole histories over music. It is Africa, and it is in us. However, Africans in America perfected it.

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

There was a carribbean brotha on twitter who talked about this and called out his fellows for being disingenuous.he said he got DMs saying “why are you telling them? Dint say anything.” From a number of folks. Other carribbean folk in his thread agreed with him and talked about how they were trying to change it so its not all immigrants or first gens that think/feel this way.

ADOS is merely calling for the same reparation/adjustment that Caricom and the AU called for,relative to their societies and environments.

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is very true. :dunno:

The credit can def go each way. After giving it some thought, Black Americans do deserve far more credit than we're given when it comes to this subject in particular.

Ive been following the reparations call ffrom various black nations since the 2000s. Logically speaking,black immigrants and first gens would support ADOs completely in their agenda in order to strengthen bonds b/n cultures and take advantage of the Industrial Revolution 4.0. If the call for ADOS reparations gains more steam,the immigrants/first gens can simultaneously bully support for reparations from Britain,Portugal,France,etc. all full court press from all black peoples politically and economically.

The disdain towards the idea of ADOs and reparations from these people presupposes a belief in ADOS inferiority. Its almost as if such a thing is an affront to their hidden beliefs about AAs.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
What? You talking about rap music? Cause that is borrowed from Dancehall/Reggae.
Jamaicans created Rap Music. Go ask Cool Herc about that.
More revisionist and misinformed bullshit. Herc is a pioneer. The foundation sits on Black american soul and funk music. This is not debatable. Rap Music was NOT created by Jamaicans. Further, no one is discounting the contributions to the art form made by blacks born in the carribbean. We are correcting those who discount the creations of ADOS.

I think we are the ones being nice in our rebut. His hatred and ignorance are readily apparent to all.
Cool Herc is Jamaican.
Cool Herc created Rap Music.
Herc was born in Jamaica. Raised and reared in the Bronx..
Herc was a pioneer of the artform which has its foundation in BLACK AMERICAN FUNK and SOUL... made on American soil and in Black american neighborhoods using Black American culture.
Herc being the Father is undeniable.
But I often have to remind Jamaicans that what he did wasn't rooted in Jamaican culture.
Then, they always bring up "toasting."
But the pioneers of "toasting" freely admit that they heard it on New Orleans and Miami radio stations first and copied it. The DJ's was talking that slick shit that Frankie Crocker later would become famous for.
(Coincidentally, the first rappers in NYC like DJ Hollywood and Coke La Rock were really emulating Crocker)
I agree, Herc had alot of to do with the formation of the "culture", but if we are just talking about the musical aspect of the culture (i.e. rap), it came from Black America (by way of Gospel, Blues, Jazz Scat, Negro Spirituals, etc.)
Cause the people you mentioned are later on.
They are after Jamaicans created it.
Black America took their style and ran with it.
Only difference is the accents and type of beats used.
Hispanics did the same shit and called it Reggaeton.
Now Africans are taking it and calling it Afrobeats.

It is all Dancehall.
What?!
Nah fam. You wrong.
:lol:
No more debating this subject. :lol:
This is straight from the horses' mouths.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
America is like the baby momma that tell you ya daddy wasn’t shit. And Africa is the Nicca that came back when they seen you get drafted to the nba

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No more debating this subject. :lol:
This is straight from the horses' mouths.

Man we ended these niggas long ago. Not only did it expose them as idiots.. It also revealed that actual JAMAICAN music was influenced by and spawned from Black Americans and their music as well. :lol:

Notice they scrambled like roaches when the lights came on.