Afrobeats superstar Burna Boy "Brothers in the US have been stripped of their knowledge of self"

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok. Whatever.
I know as a Jamaican youth Cool Herc wasn't sitting around thinking about the African drum, James Brown or Fat Domino or nothing you mentioned.

Rap was modeled after Dancehall. Direct and closet musical influence.

Y'all Black Americans want everything! I swear to God.

No bitch. He is a pioneer. You saying the same dumb shit over and over wont make it any less wrong.

Nigga is a complete idiot.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I know as a Jamaican youth Cool Herc wasn't sitting around thinking about the African drum, James Brown or Fat Domino or nothing you mentioned.
But thats the point. He was.. You fucking idiot. :lol:
Y'all Black Americans want everything! I swear to God.
We dont want anything but whats owed. And here, whats owed is honesty and acknowledgement.
The audacity of you to even utter that nonsense as you sit your fat ass on a Black American message board all day, soaking up resources provided to you by Black Americans.. :smh:

Kwame Coltrane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why did you say "black" like that? What does "black" mean to you?

Why did you mention "break dancing and graffiti"?

Herc created rap music.

"Americanized Jamaicans". Hmmm. Nice try.

I am not going to jump to conclusions so I am asking questions first.

Nigga im Jamaican too. Stop

Brothers in America have been doing some form of rap music since the 30's

This shit has more in common than dancehall and rap. If anything Herc helped pioneer a facet of hip hop which is djing. But he didn't invent rap

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
No rapper alive has ever been influenced by these people. Stop with your bullshit.

If you cant hear the correlation between the cadence of their lyrics and the cadence of some rappers than you must be a cac.

Herc's own words:

One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."

Sorry, but it dont get no more Black American than James Brown

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok. Is Cool Herc Jamaican?

If you cant hear the correlation between the cadence of their lyrics and the cadence of some rappers than you must be a cac.

Herc's own words:

One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."

dugington

Rising Star
Registered

Herc's own words:

Welp. That ends that.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Herc like most early Jamaicans in hip hop was heavily influenced by the Southern blacks who had migrated up to NYC.That's how he knew which obscure soul and funk records to play at his parties. He was spinning James Brown records. If he claims to now be an innovator or creator that would make him a culture vulture. The culture was taught to his immigrant ass! Not the other way around or else hip hop wouldve popped off in Kingston.

All Jamaican music is influenced by ADOS soul and jazz, all the early reggae and ska artists covered Motown and doo wop, but we dont try to deebo their shit. :lol: They have to try claim our shit because the shit they actually have created just isnt cool enough to them. Jamaicans care more about hip hop than ska and dancehall.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No.

That isn't my argument. I am not making correlations.

If I was, I would say rap started in Africa.

All music does come from Africa. I will def say that.

I am just saying Jamaicans created rap music.

That was the first thing I said.

Cool Herc is Jamaican.

Aight, so boom.....

Dancehall from Reggae.
Reggae from Rocksteady.
Rocksteady from Ska.
Ska from Mento.
Mento from Calypso.
Calypso is from Trinidad.

So Hip Hop started in Trinidad? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
No.

That isn't my argument. I am not making correlations.

If I was, I would say rap started in Africa.

All music does come from Africa. I will def say that.

I am just saying Jamaicans created rap music.

That was the first thing I said.

Cool Herc is Jamaican.
I'm just joking with you.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All good. I am trolling tonight.

I do believe what I am saying but I really dont care that much.

Jamaicans created rap music. Me knowing Herc is Jamaican is all I need.

These black americans be tight. They wanna bring up James Brown and Chuck Berry and yada yada.

I'm just joking with you.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ok. Whatever.
But thats the point. He was.. You fucking idiot. :lol:
Herc's own words:
Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."
What do you want me to say Jesus?
No you bastard.. We want you to say "Im sorry". You ignorant muthafucka.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Herc's own words:

Bruh didn't Bob Marley admit he was inspired by American soul music...

I remember back in the day..

A Jamaican dude told me if its a hit in

America there is a good chance there will be a reggae version of it.

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All good. I am trolling tonight.

I do believe what I am saying but I really dont care that much.

Jamaicans created rap music. Me knowing Herc is Jamaican is all I need.

These black americans be tight. They wanna bring up James Brown and Chuck Berry and yada yada.

like burna boy,your statements are entertaining but incorrect.Rapping is an old AA thing, from the old souther gospel preachers to the jubalaires to guys on the block in the 60s-70s who would rap to women or battle other
men (later adopted by some pimps).
Herc added in toasting and elements of sound clashes which were gladly accepted and he is one of the pioneering DJs,but invent rapping he did not.
The link above discusses how alot of ska,rocksteady and reggae had heavy early influences from men like Curtis Mayfield and if you know any old school musicians, Sam cooke as well.
But you wont see african
Americans claiming ownership over ska,rocksteady and reggae.

Bounty Killah

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting where this thread went, i.e., who created RAP.

It's well settled that Kool Herc is Jamaican and played a part in the advent of the genre.

However, where it originated from is accccctually a bit more complicated than one might realized.

"Mento" begat "Ska" begat "Rock Steady" begat Reggae....

So how does this tie into hip-hop. It's all about the influences. It's not a secret that a lot of the early Jamaican artists were influenced by the American R&B of the 60's. This is just my opinion, and I've simplified it immensely, but it seems there was a bit of "cross-influencing" going on.

This is one of those discussions that could go on for a while. But just my. 02 cents

True Real Info

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It's well settled that Kool Herc is Jamaican and played a part in the advent of the genre.

However, where it originated from is accccctually a bit more complicated than one might realized.

So how does this tie into hip-hop. It's all about the influences. It's not a secret that a lot of the early Jamaican artists were influenced by the American R&B of the 60's. This is just my opinion, and I've simplified it immensely, but it seems there was a bit of "cross-influencing" going on.

This is one of those discussions that could go on for a while. But just my. 02 cents

you are exactly right. Ithink the reason that this discussion went left is the subtle attempt at establishing dominance/superiority,disguised as sympathy,by Burna Boy and those who think like him. It went further left went Herc was thrown in the convo as trump card,when herc himself was influenced cross culturally by his own admittance.

either way,until black folk worlwide own at least 1 nation with nuclear weapons, elite level soldiers on par with SEALS or Spetnaz, and a GDP to rival todays superpowers...these discussions are immaterial distractions...salve to a collective ego wound...

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
:smh: @ this thread. No wonder we as a people can't get anywhere. The world has color barriers between us and them. While some of us are working hard at breaking down the color barriers, we got our own amongst us building border barriers.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered

Good post. Now something like this is cool.
It's just that some Jamaicans really running with Herc's legacy as if what he did was inherently Jamaican when it wasn't.

I often wonder:
Why Kool Herc never had ONE recorded song?
Not ONE production credit?
Not ONE mention of ever actually scratching a break? (Also because he didn't invent scratching. That was Grandwizard Theodore)

A lot of people talk about him starting it, but don't know what he actually did.

Big speakers aren't native to Jamaica.
Throwing parties aren't native to Jamaica.
Having two turntables for DJ's aren't native to Jamaica.

He was throwing parties with big sound systems and going back to back with two turntables on breakbeats before anybody else. That's it.
He was the funkiest muthafuka on the 1 and 2's making funk and soul songs extend on beat and that's all that mattered at the time.
Jamaican selectors WERE NOT going back to back before Herc did it in The Bronx. In fact, it's still disputed if other DJs in NYC like Flowers or Pete DJ Jones did it first.
Shit, for that matter, Jamaican selectors STILL aint going "back to back" on turntables. Ironically, the very thing that birthed Hip Hop is the opposite in Dancehall: Don't extend the beat. Stop it. Rewind it and start over.

To act as if Hip Hop is born of Jamaican culture because a Jamaican laid the foundation is just not true.

Respect to DJ Kool Herc

Last edited:

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
To act as if Hip Hop is born of Jamaican culture because a Jamaican laid the foundation is just not true.

The whole "participation=domination/I am the creator" is taught to them by whites. That is their MO to take credit for shit cuz 1 person was involved amongst many.

Johnny Nash is a Black American that sold millions of records and recorded as a reggae artist in Kingston in the 70s. Just because he participated in the culture, doesnt make reggae Black American or Johnny Nash the creator of reggae.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
3837.jpg

"The only way we can move forward is if we all know that Africa is our home and make sure our home is a place that is respected
Burna Boy believes there’s something deeper at work when it comes to his popularity in the UK. “Most of the people from the UK, if not all the black people from the UK, and the people of colour – they all know where they’re from,” he says. “They know exactly where their roots are.” This, he says, makes it easier for people to tune into his wavelength. It took longer for his music to find an audience in the US; this, he says, is a consequence of African Americans not having the same close connection with Africa. “Unfortunately, the brothers in the US have been stripped of their whole knowledge of self,” he says. “So it’s a bit harder for them, you know?” When he collaborated with the US rappers YG and Future, he said he was “bringing my brothers home”.

There’s a whole generation of African – and often Nigerian – artists who, along with Burna Boy, have taken the Afrobeats sound global. Davido, Wizkid, Olamide, Naira Marley, Tiwa Savage and Zlatan – all have had success in Europe or the US, but Burna Boy is a slightly different proposition. His aesthetic borrows from hip-hop’s sartorial playbook: thick gold chains adorn his neck, he has a vast collection of rings, and when he smiles he often reveals gold- and jewel-encrusted teeth grills. Tattoos cover most of his upper body, arms and hands. But even here, Africa (and specifically Nigeria) is everywhere. His tattoos include a brick wall with the names of family members written on it, and there’s a portrait of Fela Kuti on his left forearm. The title of his first album, Leaving An Impact For Eternity, has also been inked, and he has the phrase “Omo Naija” – child of Nigeria – above the country’s coat of arms on his shoulder.

When in June this year he won a BET award for best international male, he used the moment to make a point about Africa, colonialism and Black Lives Matter. “I’d like to use this opportunity to say that some time around 1835, there was a mission to turn Africa into a dominated nation,” he said, after being congratulated by Naomi Campbell via video link. “Now is the time to overturn that, and go back to the royalty that we were, because, in order for black lives to matter, Africa must matter.” The year before, he managed to miss picking up his award, but his mum – who is also his manager – stepped in, telling the audience that he’d want to say, “Every black person should please remember that you were Africans before you became anything else.” A sample of her speech appears on African Giant.

Why did he make that point specifically? “I feel like the only way we can move forward is if we all know that this is our home and we make sure our home is a place that is respected,” he says. “Once everybody respects your home, then they have no choice but to respect you.” He says the problem is worse for black people in America, because “you can’t demand respect in the place where they don’t believe that you belong”. When I ask if he supports Black Lives Matter he says: “I’m more of an NFAC kind of guy,” referring to the Not Fucking Around Coalition, the armed African-American group made up of ex-military personnel that has been compared to the Black Panthers. While most stars might dance around a subject like this, and offer a general comment about anti-racism, Burna is happy to jump in with both feet and back a group whose leader has advocated for the state of Texas becoming an independent country for African-Americans. This isn’t safe ground for pop stars, but Burna clearly doesn’t see himself as just that – his goals are much bigger. He’s said previously that his aim is “the eventual unity of Africa”, and to understand his philosophy you need to go back to his childhood.

Born Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu on 2 July 1991 in the oil city of Port Harcourt in south-east Nigeria, Burna Boy says he knew he was going to be a star from the age of two. As a toddler, he would dance and sing when his parents took him to restaurants. When he was a little older, he fell in love with US rappers such as Naughty By Nature, DMX, Big Pun and Busta Rhymes via his uncle, while his father introduced him to the dancehall of Buju Banton. He describes his upbringing as being “not too rich, not poor” but it’s fair to say it was comfortable. His father worked in construction, while his mother was a translator for the West African Chambers of Commerce; she is fluent in French, Italian and German. Meanwhile, his maternal grandfather managed Fela Kuti’s career. What was a typical weekend like in the Burna Boy household when he was growing up? “My grandfather playing Afrobeat, usually Fela, my dad working on the barbecue, and my mum just causing a scene,” he says. “And me trying to find a corner to smoke some weed.”

As a teenager he was rebellious, and not particularly gifted at school. In the early 2010s he came to London to continue his education, but when I ask him whether it was university or college, he won’t engage: “All of that,” he says, dismissively. In the end, he never attended a class, and instead spent his time with friends in Brixton. Like his hero Fela Kuti, he came to the UK for an academic education and got one in music instead, taking back some of the grime and slang he’d heard in south London to Lagos. It was then that he began to make his own music, which at that point was closer to the US R&B he used to watch on MTV. “Only later, when I started finding myself and understanding who I am, did I start appreciating African music and everything my grandad had been trying to put into my hands since I was a kid,” he says."

@Amajorfucup @Soul On Ice @xfactor @VAiz4hustlaz

Dude is basically saying his shit dont sell here cuz we lost and not as cultured as the continent or the UK so we cant appreciate it. :lol:
he is a goofy ass niggaah! All black people dnt originate from africa, black is not a race or ethnicity nor is african american. ADOS niggahz want to be able to identify with a place outside of here so bad & they have no place but here!

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
he is a goofy ass niggaah! All black people dnt originate from africa, black is not a race or ethnicity nor is african american. ADOS niggahz want to be able to identify with a place outside of here so bad & they have no place but here!

That dude is Nigerian and he says you niggas are lost cuz you originate from him. You are African, not Costa Rican.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
a. I have heard worse said about Africans on this forum in the last 8 weeks

b. Hehehehehehe.. that so-called "African" - "Afro-beats" bullshit music...