Afrobeats superstar Burna Boy "Brothers in the US have been stripped of their knowledge of self"

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Richer and better than anything Nigerians could copy from black America.
Teach, don't leach....

Ogene music from Nigeria

1. Only real musicians can produce a 20-minute song; and I defy anyone
to show me anywhere outside Africa where this has been done

2. The polyrhythmic percussion- only Africans can play polyrhythms, other
people do not know how, and cannot do it.

3. The varied and complicated vocal patterns...

4. Multi tempo music- again, all the other people start and stay at one
tempo. They do not and cannot shift tempo mid song

From Nigeria

Last edited:

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Interesting where this thread went, i.e., who created RAP.

It's well settled that Kool Herc is Jamaican and played a part in the advent of the genre.

However, where it originated from is accccctually a bit more complicated than one might realized.

"Mento" begat "Ska" begat "Rock Steady" begat Reggae....

So how does this tie into hip-hop. It's all about the influences. It's not a secret that a lot of the early Jamaican artists were influenced by the American R&B of the 60's. This is just my opinion, and I've simplified it immensely, but it seems there was a bit of "cross-influencing" going on.

This is one of those discussions that could go on for a while. But just my. 02 cents
Grandwizard Theodore broke it down once at a DMC competition back in the day and said that, “the records we was cutting up had no bounds. Most of em came from our parents collections and what they were listening to which was a mix of Caribbean styles and American soul.”

There was a wealth of cross mixing influences occurring at that time. All the so called pioneers took styles from their native lands and integrated them into the musical scene here. Bambaataa, Herc, Grandmaster Flash are all Caribbean by origin. Even the Latino origins of hip hop and what they contributed goes understated most of the time. Shoutout DJ Charlie Chase of Cold Crush Bros.

Long story short, I find it slightly disingenuous for any ONE single group to claims the rights to hip hop. Whether it’s Caribbean’s, Latinos, or Black Americans, alotta groups had their hands in its inception.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Grandwizard Theodore broke it down once at a DMC competition back in the day and said that, “the records we was cutting up had no bounds. Most of em came from our parents collections and what they were listening to which was a mix of Caribbean styles and American soul.”

There was a wealth of cross mixing influences occurring at that time. All the so called pioneers took styles from their native lands and integrated them into the musical scene here. Bambaataa, Herc, Grandmaster Flash are all Caribbean by origin. Even the Latino origins of hip hop and what they contributed goes understated most of the time. Shoutout DJ Charlie Chase of Cold Crush Bros.

Long story short, I find it slightly disingenuous for any ONE single group to claims the rights to hip hop. Whether it’s Caribbean’s, Latinos, or Black Americans, alotta groups had their hands in its inception.

Nobody denies other groups had their hands in the culture, but rap music is a Black American artform largely crafted and constructed by Black Americans. The most sampled hip hop artist of all time is a Black American born in South Carolina named James Brown. Who are these Caribbean and Latino artist that the music is based off of? Im not talking bout a loop here or there, Im talkin whole catalog jacked like JB? All the parties in the South and NYC in the 60s and 70s that formulated the culture played his music.

Its also disingenuous to imply all the pioneers were immigrants. Most of the early pioneers were and are Black American. Hell Disco King Mario is from North Carolina, leader of the Black Spades, he HEAVILY influenced and mentored Bambaataa.

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
he is a goofy ass niggaah! All black people dnt originate from africa, black is not a race or ethnicity nor is african american. ADOS niggahz want to be able to identify with a place outside of here so bad & they have no place but here!

Right on, write on, bruh!! I've been sharing with the board, Africa isn't the only place that produced dark skinned people!! Out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in those islands are full of people that look like copper color people of this colony!! Anyway, good reply brotha and thanks for pointing out BLACK again!!! Next time blow it up so people can really understand it!! Again, thanks bruh!!!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
“Most of the people from the UK, if not all the black people from the UK, and the people of colour – they all know where they’re from,” he says. “They know exactly where their roots are.” This, he says, makes it easier for people to tune into his wavelength. It took longer for his music to find an audience in the US; this, he says, is a consequence of African Americans not having the same close connection with Africa. “Unfortunately, the brothers in the US have been stripped of their whole knowledge of self,” he says. “So it’s a bit harder for them, you know?” When he collaborated with the US rappers YG and Future, he said he was “bringing my brothers home”.

Looking at the parts you highlighted I see nothing wrong with what he said. Black Americans have absolutely been stripped of our connection to Africa. When Malcolm x said this were yall mad? Knowledge of Self is what seperates the concious black man from the ******. Are you debating that house negro, slave, coon and a black person who has seeked his roots are the same and therefore burna boy is wrong?

He said he supports NFAC over BLM. Yall are mad at that?

Im not seeing the beef. He stated what his influences were and how he himself eventually started loving African music after loving hip hop and dancehall. Are yall about to cancel Burna boy now lol?

"Dude is basically saying his shit dont sell here cuz we lost and not as cultured as the continent or the UK so we cant appreciate it." :lol:

Wait wait. So in your mind you think you are as cultured as a UK person? Your not even as cultured as a Toronto person. Nyers, Miami, Chicago and LA might be the only places in America that have more than 10 different cultures living in it. But even then red lining/segregated schooling has prevented the blacks from experiencing those cultures. Everything he said was just the truth. AFrican Americans we got a long long long way to go before we catch up to the UK on being globally cultured.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
he is a goofy ass niggaah! All black people dnt originate from africa, black is not a race or ethnicity nor is african american. ADOS niggahz want to be able to identify with a place outside of here so bad & they have no place but here!

Actually, I think that it’s opposite. ADOS is claiming to be Native American, which is true.

If anything different, somebody can correct me.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Brothas putting their nationality first and I respect that.

So there should be nothing wrong with Native Americans doing the same.

What's funny about his comments, many of the blacks in the UK come from the islands and derive from slavery and colonization. They have no clue of their African tribal origin. Yet he dont call them lost like us. Interesting to say the least.

Wait wait. So in your mind you think you are as cultured as a UK person? Your not even as cultured as a Toronto person. Nyers, Miami, Chicago and LA might be the only places in America that have more than 10 different cultures living in it. But even then red lining/segregated schooling has prevented the blacks from experiencing those cultures. Everything he said was just the truth. AFrican Americans we got a long long long way to go before we catch up to the UK on being globally cultured.

Spoken like an immigrant or somebody typing from London. :lol:

So the UK is the tastemakers of the World now? Toronto? Miami? Chicago, and LA aint nothing but ADOS blacks with Southern roots. The Black Belt is more influential than any of them immigrant enclaves you listed. Just because you cant survive in the US outside of those cities does not make them cultural epicenters. :lol:

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's funny about his comments, many of the blacks in the UK come from the islands and derive from slavery and colonization. They have no clue of their African tribal origin. Yet he dont call them lost like us. Interesting to say the least.

Spoken like an immigrant or somebody typing from London. :lol:

So the UK is the tastemakers of the World now? Toronto? Miami? Chicago, and LA aint nothing but ADOS blacks with Southern roots. The Black Belt is more influential than any of them immigrant enclaves you listed. Just because you cant survive in the US outside of those cities does not make them cultural epicenters. :lol:

JIt, it says florida in my got dam display smh.

And what you said makes no sense.

1. Tastemakers is not the topic. Being cultured is.

2. The black Belt is more influential than a big city? More influential than NY? NY, the worlds capital has not had more influences than the black belt? this is just stupid

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
The black Belt is more influential than a big city? More influential than NY? NY, the worlds capital has not had more influences than the black belt? this is just stupid

The black belt influences NY. Always has brother. Do you listen to jazz music? At one point jazz was the preeminent culture of society and the world at large loooooooooong before hip hop. Even though they migrated to NYC to record and take advantage of mass media based there, guess where all the greatest jazz artists are from?

The Harlem Renaissance is literally filled with blacks who were transplants to NYC. :lol:

Yall immigrant narratives be hilarious.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
"Afro beat" tries to make Hip hop using contemporary using comtemporary
African rythms, and drum signatures, much of it deriving from Congo music.
The practitioners should have kept quiet and enjoyed what money they were
making from a practise in which their own original contribution was miniscule.
The day when they would be cut down to earth was coming, and I am not sorry
that it did ....

The original Afro-beat by Feli Anikulapo Kuti was different from this current
bullshit.

This idiot ran his mouth, and was immediately cut down to size............

This careless speak is manifest on both sides, and I for one one am gonna
get popcorn and sit it out

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Other people spend their time trying be like someone else as much as possible

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
Brothas putting their nationality first and I respect that.

So there should be nothing wrong with Native Americans doing the same.
I said that when he tried to pivot from the facts being discussed. He implied that we were saying what we saying only because Black Americans want to claim Hip Hop.
Kwame Coultrane said "Nigga I'm Jamaican too. Stop it."
I said "And iza Trini."
In order to negate his goal post moving.
Black first. Always.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Nobody denies other groups had their hands in the culture, but rap music is a Black American artform largely crafted and constructed by Black Americans. The most sampled hip hop artist of all time is a Black American born in South Carolina named James Brown. Who are these Caribbean and Latino artist that the music is based off of? Im not talking bout a loop here or there, Im talkin whole catalog jacked like JB? All the parties in the South and NYC in the 60s and 70s that formulated the culture played his music.

Its also disingenuous to imply all the pioneers were immigrants. Most of the early pioneers were and are Black American. Hell Disco King Mario is from North Carolina, leader of the Black Spades, he HEAVILY influenced and mentored Bambaataa.
Many Black Americans I’ve come across have denied Latinos and Caribbeans in hip hop’s role. This happens on a daily basis.

Look at this thread lol.. I digress

Sampling specific genres of music, doesn’t mean much pertaining to the conversation of hip hop being from one place or another. Dr Dre, DJ Premier, Swizz Beats and countless producers have sampled from Latin artists, European artists, African artists etc... this is the Apple logic of “hey don’t use my product for anything other than specified..” yet the adverse is in fact true. If I buy an Apple phone, it’s mine. I can do with it as I please.

When all these producers and labels, from RCA to Atlantic to Sony, Universal, etc all compensate the artists they’re sampling for clearance, any works used thereafter are no longer owned by the original artist. Big reason why Prince fought so hard to get out of the control of the American music industry. Big reason why many are trying to break away from it today and find their own lanes. Try and post a YouTube video with a popular artists music and see how fast you get hit with a copyright claim.

One can sample all the James Brown, Temptations, Motown, Delta Blues, Jazz in the world and so long as it’s paid for in advance and cleared, it’s all fair game. That has little to no bearing on where music comes from.

That being said, it was never mentioned that ALL Caribbean’s and Latino’s invented hip hop. Nothing in my statement at least, stated such. I mentioned there was a wealth of cross mixing between all cultures in NYC in the 60’s and 70’s, which INCLUDES Caribbean’s, Latinos and Black Americans.

Again, this thread seems to insinuate otherwise but I’m not going down that road. I’m just sticking to my main point that to deny everyone else involved in hip hop’s inception is highly disingenuous.

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The black belt influences NY. Always has brother. Do you listen to jazz music? At one point jazz was the preeminent culture of society and the world at large loooooooooong before hip hop. Even though they migrated to NYC to record and take advantage of mass media based there, guess where all the greatest jazz artists are from?

The Harlem Renaissance is literally filled with blacks who were transplants to NYC. :lol:

Yall immigrant narratives be hilarious.

Dawg, you just used the word migrated to talk about music coming from the south to ny. Dont u even understand your own words? Immigrants migrate. Southern people migrate. And NY became the capital of the world because of this global migration. So yes the Black Belt influenced NY as did the world. And thats what made NY great, not one regions influence, the global influence.

I worked on a jazz station at Clark Atlanta for yearsssss and guess what Jazz is... a merger of African and European cultures. bro your uneducated. Nothing started anywhere without the influence of somewhere else. The world keeps spinning people keep traveling and your stuck.[/QUOTE]

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Many Black Americans I’ve come across have denied Latinos and Caribbeans in hip hop’s role. This happens on a daily basis.

Look at this thread lol.. I digress
Who in this thread is guilty of that tho? Not one person has denied contributions made by islander brothers and sisters.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Who in this thread is guilty of that tho? Not one person has denied contributions made by islander brothers and sisters.
In regards to this thread in particular, there’s a slight insinuation here but prolly not enough to warrant that, so fair point to you.

That being said, I've heard this EXACT sentiment spewed in everyday life and on other forums. Overheard this very notion at a BLM rally in DC just a few weeks back. TheColi has multiple pages dedicated to the erasure of Caribbean’s and Latino’s from hip hop’s inception as if they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don’t mind sharing credit, as well it should be if you were nominal from jump. You deserve that light and it shouldn’t be stolen just to fit a narrative.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In regards to this thread in particular, there’s a slight insinuation here but prolly not enough to warrant that, so fair point to you.

That being said, I've heard this EXACT sentiment spewed in everyday life and on other forums. Overheard this very notion at a BLM rally in DC just a few weeks back. TheColi has multiple pages dedicated to the erasure of Caribbean’s and Latino’s from hip hop’s inception as if they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don’t mind sharing credit, as well it should be if you were nominal from jump. You deserve that light and it shouldn’t be stolen just to fit a narrative.
First off.. never use "the coli" as a reference or source of anything in a remotely serious discussion. Secondly, any discussion you overheard at a BLM rally in DC was assuredly a rebuttal and/or continuation of ongoing sentiment native born Blacks have felt/heard from foreign born. Listen bro, If it wasnt, then it was an isolated conversation among a group of individuals. We cannot pretend that Black Americans, traditionally, and in aggregate have harbored the same resentment and attitudes of snobbery and judgement toward our foreign born brothers and sisters as they have toward us. Doing so is simply ahistorical. Period. We literally fought for civil rights and immigration gains which specifically benefited you all. We targeted you and welcomed you into our communities and universities knowing many of you would be refugees from war torn and civil war striken homelands. Nigga you hometeam... Do you think all them water head sunken eyed Ethiopians just so happened to settle in the U street corridor and just so happened to do it in the 60's? :smh:

Last edited:

roots69

Rising Star
Registered

Brotha, can you do me a favor?? Can you break down "BLACK", for the board?? If not that's kool.. I'll try to do it..

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:smh: @ this thread. No wonder we as a people can't get anywhere. The world has color barriers between us and them. While some of us are working hard at breaking down the color barriers, we got our own amongst us building border barriers.

Man reading this thread is fucking sad man......I'm so glad this isn't a true depiction of how reality really is. I'm so glad I don't hang around other black people who's primary focus is to divide and segregate themselves from other black people.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Herc is Jamaican right?
Did he create rap music or not?

He didn't create rap.

Rap/Hip Hop was going to come from some Black neighborhood in some city at some point.

New York City just had a the perfect storm of events to create hip hop.

Post Civil Rights era, rise of disco, poverty, crime and the black out of 77.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Brotha, can you do me a favor?? Can you break down "BLACK", for the board?? If not that's kool.. I'll try to do it..
I've done this several time....
I've created a thread about it.

Black is a status / fiction. Its an illegal/ negative status. Black has no definition in the blacks law dictionary.

Black has no standing per the Dread Scott decision.

There are no laws or rights which obligate any white man to respect or treat a black person like a human being. The constitution does not apply to black people. It eas not drafted with them in mind.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kool who?....

Rap didnt come from the Garrisons of Jamaica and/or Jamaican immigrants........It came from the "Killing fields of the American South"

The Jubilaires been doing it since the 30s-40s

....and Pigmeat Markham made this in the 60s

Wow never heard this. Nice.