► ONGOING Food / Health / Fitness thread - information / links / pics / podcasts / articles / recipes = a shitload of stuff 2 read / watch / reference

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Here Are 21 Healthy Fall Soups To Stock Your Freezer

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindsayhunt/21-healthy-fall-soups-to-make-ahead-and-freeze#.fy5K9ndomr

enhanced-buzz-25922-1446070093-12.jpg

enhanced-5780-1446062465-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-32381-1446063357-7.jpg

enhanced-4529-1446063806-9.jpg

enhanced-buzz-12222-1446063928-8.jpg

DaddyDiesel

Rising Star
OG Investor
Props on the thread. Can someone give me a tasty healthy salad dressing recipe instead of buying these b.s. ones out of the store with 10 chemical ingredients on the label. Something with Olive oil, garlic, honey, lemon for example or whatever yall might be mixing up. I can't just mess the greens alone at this point gotta have something on my salads. Thanks. :cool:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Props on the thread. Can someone give me a tasty healthy salad dressing recipe instead of buying these b.s. ones out of the store with 10 chemical ingredients on the label. Something with Olive oil, garlic, honey, lemon for example or whatever yall might be mixing up. I can't just mess the greens alone at this point gotta have something on my salads. Thanks. :cool:

Thanks, fam. I don't know the names/recipes ... but I recall being young & mom would make up some homemade vinaigrettes. Might try Googling up how-to's for vinaigrette dressing (and maybe doctoring it up with other ingredients). Another great way to make salads better ... toast up some pecans and slivered almonds (in toaster oven or regular oven). She'd do that too & add them.

DaddyDiesel

Rising Star
OG Investor
Thanks, fam. I don't know the names/recipes ... but I recall being young & mom would make up some homemade vinaigrettes. Might try Googling up how-to's for vinaigrette dressing (and maybe doctoring it up with other ingredients). Another great way to make salads better ... toast up some pecans and slivered almonds (in toaster oven or regular oven). She'd do that too & add them.

No doubt. Cool, I'll see what I can find on the net with the ingredients I listed. Hopefully they'll turn out ok and produce enough.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
No doubt. Cool, I'll see what I can find on the net with the ingredients I listed. Hopefully they'll turn out ok and produce enough.

No doubt. Keep us posted. You're smart to go the DIY route and try it out for a healthier version of what's out there in stores.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/36549/honey-garlic-vinaigrette/?internalSource=staff%20pick&referringId=2598&referringContentType=recipe%20hub
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

In a container, combine oil, vinegar, honey, and garlic. Cover, and shake until blended. Set aside for 45 minutes, to allow flavors to combine. Shake again before serving.

(note: i add 1 tbsp of black pepper and sub evoo for veg oil)

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
What's everyone cooking of late? Any key go-to meals?

A lot of seafood Salmon, crabs and shrimp, clam chowder.

This is the time of year I make a lot of soups and stews.

Just did some Angalatus snow crab. Bought them already seasoned.

Legs tall as my forearm.

Tonight I'm baking salmon with cabbage, kale, chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, using coconut oil.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Puttin' in work, fam'. Props! Got a coworker who's a fisherman. Makes some of the meanest chowders. Food of the Gods ...

A lot of seafood Salmon, crabs and shrimp, clam chowder.

This is the time of year I make a lot of soups and stews.

Just did some Angalatus snow crab. Bought them already seasoned.

Legs tall as my forearm.

Tonight I'm baking salmon with cabbage, kale, chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, using coconut oil.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Anybody got a chili recipe without meat? Or with chicken or turkey

Chili

2 bay leaf
2 can large kidney beans
1 large onion, finely diced
1/2 cup minced garlic
2 minced scotch bonnet pepper (HOT if you dont remove seeds)
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1.5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Zest of one orange
Zest of one lime
1/2 tablespoon ground allspice
1/2 tablespoon dried leaf thyme
3/4 tablespoon cayanne pepper
3/4 tablespoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice of two oranges
Juice of one lime
32 ounces crushed tomatoes
2-3 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Make the spice mix. Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt, black pepper, allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, sage, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Turn on a medium sized slow cooker and set to high. Add the diced onions, scotch bonnet, and garlic to the slow cooker. If you are choosing to cook on the stove top, cook 5-10 minutes in 1/4 c of olive oil.
*Note: peppers are very spicy. Please take care to use gloves when mincing. Removal of seeds will help attenuate the heat. Add the spice mix to the slow cooker.
Zest the orange and the lime and add. Juice the oranges and lime and add. Stir to incorporate.

add bay leaves

Add the beans, crushed tomatoes, water, and chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, 3-4 hours on high (or 7-8 hours on low). Check liquid levels and adjust with more water if necessary. When chili has cooked 3-4 hours, remove the chicken breasts and shred before returning to chili. Serve over rice if desired.

(if I cook with dark meat, leave the bones in, I start out like stew chicken, melt the sugar then add chicken and onions and then the normal order)
(if you have it, or can get it- 4 drops Angostura Bitters)

Last edited:

DaddyDiesel

Rising Star
OG Investor
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/36549/honey-garlic-vinaigrette/?internalSource=staff%20pick&referringId=2598&referringContentType=recipe%20hub
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

In a container, combine oil, vinegar, honey, and garlic. Cover, and shake until blended. Set aside for 45 minutes, to allow flavors to combine. Shake again before serving.

(note: i add 1 tbsp of black pepper and sub evoo for veg oil)

Preciate it. Gonna sub vegetable oil with extra virgin olive oil and follow the rest. :cool:
Good drop on the chili recipe too, see a lot of ingredients I wasn't using in mine which may take it over the top now. :yes:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Preciate it. Gonna sub vegetable oil with extra virgin olive oil and follow the rest. :cool:
Good drop on the chili recipe too, see a lot of ingredients I wasn't using in mine which may take it over the top now. :yes:

Agreed re: chili. Always good to see what others are making it with. Don't think I've ever had a bad bowl of chili before.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Yea I've been on baking for this whole year. Everything.

Steamed stuff as well.

Veggies.. I just like veggies I don't need mine cooked. I don't need salad dressing either just a little pepper and I'm good to go.

Meat is baked or roasted or steamed all year and I never get tired of it

and I make sure I eat my yams :yes: