Triple header tonight

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
His offense has always been beautiful but he's got serious holes in his defense and a young, prime guy like a Timothy Bradley will make him work and work and work and I think he would wilt at this point.

The Bradley/Alexander winner would be a good fight for JMM. I was looking forward to him mashing Ricky Hatton but that's not going to happen.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
As much as I LOVE Marquez as a fighter, I think at this point, Manny is not a good matchup for him. Dude has been fighting cats coming into the ring at 160 plus, and Marquez genuinely had issues with Floyd at 47, and Floyd is not as big a puncher overall as Manny is. I know styles make fights, but I would have Manny as a serious favorite if they fought again, which I think they will, because Roach isn't gonna put Manny in the ring with a potentially bigger man who has the skills to beat him. Oh, by the way, Marquez looked real good tonight... One of the most complete boxers of this generation.... Kudos!!!

I see your point but if Marquez wants and he has earned it with everything he has done.... The only hold up is Manny.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Hey, maybe you were right. Maybe he should be considered a gatekeeping bum like Emmanuel Augustus. One of those guys where if you can't beat this lousy piece of shit you better quit boxing.

That was my point the whole time. I even said it just like that (without using Augustus, good example).

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
A barely a welterweight/natural jr welterweight. I'm a stranger to having an opinion or point of view without some type of guiding principle. Agree or disagree, I'm consistent with my arguments.

JMM looked awesome with a good fighter. Bring on Manny, if he can find his balls. Jim stopped that "fighting for his brother" shit.

One other thing
I find it funny that Jim Lampley referred to Demarcus Corley as a "gatekeeper", something I caught flack for when I did it last week.

Lol, consistent. I rather you look at the situation and make an opinion on the facts before you. not on what you might have said about a situation that resembled what we are discussing now.

JMM looked good. He needed to win in order to have people talk about him fighting Manny. But this fight shows me if anything he does want to see Manny again. Manny is not going down to 140 when he is fighting close to 150 now. It doesn't make sense to me.

Lampley should get smacked for calling chopchop a gatekeeper.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
The Bradley/Alexander winner would be a good fight for JMM. I was looking forward to him mashing Ricky Hatton but that's not going to happen.

I've been waiting for a lot of people to get their shine on with overrated Hatton, but he was smart enough to work his way into two big paydays to get those ass whoopings.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Lol, consistent. I rather you look at the situation and make an opinion on the facts before you. not on what you might have said about a situation that resembled what we are discussing now.

JMM looked good. He needed to win in order to have people talk about him fighting Manny. But this fight shows me if anything he does want to see Manny again. Manny is not going down to 140 when he is fighting close to 150 now. It doesn't make sense to me.

Lampley should get smacked for calling chopchop a gatekeeper.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

That's how you end up arguing against yourself. That type of thinking is just bizarre to me because it comes off as borderline juvenile.

HOw come the defenders of Manny's catchweights aren't throwing that out to make the fight with JMM? I'm not a fan but 144 would be a very easy weight for both guys without either ballooning up too big or draining themselves. That sounds reasonable.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

I agree. Lol, that is what I said he needs to do if he wants a chance at Manny. He needs to get a belt. JMM doesnt have any leverage in getting a 3rd fight. So he needs to get some. And at least a belt at 140 would help. But more importantly it would allow him to work with a heavier amount of weight on him before a third fight with Manny.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I agree. Lol, that is what I said he needs to do if he wants a chance at Manny. He needs to get a belt. JMM doesnt have any leverage in getting a 3rd fight. So he needs to get some. And at least a belt at 140 would help. But more importantly it would allow him to work with a heavier amount of weight on him before a third fight with Manny.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Beating niggas asses and their previous fights isn't leverage but a meaningless belt is.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: comedy.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
That's how you end up arguing against yourself. That type of thinking is just bizarre to me because it comes off as borderline juvenile.

HOw come the defenders of Manny's catchweights aren't throwing that out to make the fight with JMM? I'm not a fan but 144 would be a very easy weight for both guys without either ballooning up too big or draining themselves. That sounds reasonable.

Catchweights are lame. But if a fighter agrees to it they know what they are getting into. But would you want to see JMM jump up 9 pounds again just to get mauled to death? The JMM that fought PBF was horrible. Jmm needs to work up slowly.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

144 probably would be a useless catchweight for those two. If the fight was made at 147, both dudes might end up weighing 144 anyway. Regardless, I think it's obvious this is the next fight for Pacquiao. You guys know my opinions on southpaws and I think Berto should never fight Pacquiao no matter how green or ripe he gets unless he wants to be spectacularly kayoed. Keep Berto in with righties and he will continue to look devastating. I've never seen Berto look less than spectacular against a righty.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Catchweights are lame. But if a fighter agrees to it they know what they are getting into. But would you want to see JMM jump up 9 pounds again just to get mauled to death? The JMM that fought PBF was horrible. Jmm needs to work up slowly.

Agreed. PBF had no business letting that fight go 12 IMO. He should have at least dropped JMM a couple more times.

merce77

Star
Registered
Alex Ariza, the strength and conditioning coach of Manny Pacquiao, would still like his boxer to face Juan Manuel Marquez in a trilogy battle. The frontrunners to fight Pacquiao in May are Floyd Mayweather Jr., Shane Mosley and Andre Berto. Ariza and Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach are pushing for Marquez, while Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz, and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, prefer Mosley as the "Mayweather alternative."

"There are some interesting fights out there. I still like Marquez, and I will always say that. I think they still have unfinished business," Ariza told BoxingScene.com.

Marquez will defend his WBA/WBO lightweight titles against Michael Katsidis this Saturday in Las Vegas. Should he win, Marquez wants to move to 140-pounds. According to Ariza, Pacquiao can easily make 140-pounds. Pacquiao weighed 144.6 for his "junior middleweight" bout with Antonio Margarito two weeks ago. Ariza doesn't see a problem with Pacquiao facing Marquez at 140, but Roach had previously said that Marquez would have to come up to welterweight for the bout.

Games, again, Manny and Freddie wanting to come in with every advantage in speed, this time making a guy balloon so he'll be slower, I can't respect that shit, if you're gonna fight, fuck a catchweight. You just won the 140lb title LAST YEAR, now you refuse to fight at that weight? Bullshit. Btw, that article was from 3 days ago.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Beating niggas asses and their previous fights isn't leverage but a meaningless belt is.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: comedy.

Fights are marketed by them being championship fights. Right now JMM has nothing but a draw and a lost to Manny. if he can get two of the belts at 140 that would allow him to have something worthwhile to market since there fight will have been three years ago by the time he could get the winner of the bradley alexander fight.

merce77

Star
Registered
Fights are marketed by them being championship fights. Right now JMM has nothing but a draw and a lost to Manny. if he can get two of the belts at 140 that would allow him to have something worthwhile to market since there fight will have been three years ago by the time he could get the winner of the bradley alexander fight.

Didn't Pac beat Hatton for the lineal title last year, isn't Pac the emiritus champion right now. I swear dude, you are just reaching for any argument to not get this fight made. I don't hear anyone but you making these bullshit arguments too. Even the Manny fans I talk to want this fight.:smh:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

First the opinion is that it would still be a close match up until they are in the ring and we see something different, but you believe what you want. I want the fight and Manny can force these bums to do catch weights so he can meet Marquez.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I think JMM's only real leverage is that there's no one else out there for Pacquiao to make really big money with. Other than that, I don't see any big leverage possessed by JMM.

On second thought, although the fight doesn't interest me much, I think another fight with Cotto under the right circumstances could be a tremendous money fight for Pac. Actually, the Cotto fight might be more interesting...shit this is getting confusing. Fuck it, I just want to see somebody fight.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Didn't Pac beat Hatton for the lineal title last year, isn't Pac the emiritus champion right now. I swear dude, you are just reaching for any argument to not get this fight made. I don't hear anyone but you making these bullshit arguments too. Even the Manny fans I talk to want this fight.:smh:

I am not interested in seeing manny fight at 140. I like him to either fight at 147 or 154. I hope that is consistent enough for yall, lol. Does anyone think Manny is going to go down in weight to fight a guy he has already beaten?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Except Manny and PBF are bigger then the belts... They don't need anything to market their fights.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I think JMM's only real leverage is that there's no one else out there for Pacquiao to make really big money with. Other than that, I don't see any big leverage possessed by JMM.

On second thought, although the fight doesn't interest me much, I think another fight with Cotto under the right circumstances could be a tremendous money fight for Pac. Actually, the Cotto fight might be more interesting...shit this is getting confusing. Fuck it, I just want to see somebody fight.

That is what I am saying. Cotto comes in at 154 and manny at 148 and they get it on. To me that is a good fight. At least Cotto can try to redeem himself. It is a win win. Cotto fights at his weight class and Manny does. No catchweights and it is a title unification match.

Or maybe PBF steps up and makes the fight people really want to see.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Is Pac even rated at 140 anymore? Regardless, JMM is the one chasing redemption trying to reverse those losses so they should just have the damn fight at Pac's current weight class if he wants Pac so bad. If they want to cap it at 144lbs, who cares? Fuck it, both of those guys would probably end up weighing 144 anyway without the cap.

Also, JMM should get into that hot mix at 140. He's closer to Bradley, Khan, Maidana, and all those dudes. Shit, that's a young man's division right there. If JMM has truly still got it, he should get a title off of one of those guys and a fight against Pac would be even more spectacular.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I am not interested in seeing manny fight at 140. I like him to either fight at 147 or 154. I hope that is consistent enough for yall, lol. Does anyone think Manny is going to go down in weight to fight a guy he has already beaten?

That's true. That would have been like asking a 2001 Roy Jones to go back to 160 or 168 just to give Hopkins a second chance. The onus was really on Hopkins to go get it if he wanted redemption and that's exactly what he did once he realized Jones was a walking cadaver, lol.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

This is the first year that he has fought at 147 and he hasn't even reach 150 so what is the problem?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Except Manny and PBF are bigger then the belts... They don't need anything to market their fights.

I am talking more on JMM's end. He has to give Manny a reason to fight a guy for a third time that has not beaten him once. That seems to me to be a hard sell. But you never know.

merce77

Star
Registered
Agreed. PBF had no business letting that fight go 12 IMO. He should have at least dropped JMM a couple more times.

To do that, he had to open up and put himself in danger of getting countered by MArquez. By forcing Marquez to come to him he could just lay back and do what he does best, defense and counterpunching, something Manny could learn if he wants to beat MArquez convincingly.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
As much as I am a Manny Fan, Dude has been shitting on the boxing public for his last few fights. The reason he won't fight Marquez is clear, Marquez will go into the fight trying to win, not just to make a good account of himself like the past few fights, who were ARUM FIGHTERS with a lot to lose by not following the script. Marquez is in his late 30s, has a few good fights left, and is pissed for the two close decisions he's lost to Manny. These Dude's will make it just as hard for Marquez to get this fight as the PBF negotiations or lack of. They want no parts of him, even though I see Manny clearly beating him, because I don't think Marquez is big enough to hurt Manny enough at this point. He does deserve another big payday though, and before Manny starts down Murders Row, outside of PBF he needs to get his ass in the ring with Marquez and add some finality to this shit!!

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
That's true. That would have been like asking a 2001 Roy Jones to go back to 160 or 168 just to give Hopkins a second chance. The onus was really on Hopkins to go get it if he wanted redemption and that's exactly what he did once he realized Jones was a walking cadaver, lol.

True. Roy was loud and clear about it. He kicked bhop's ass with one arm. He wasnt going down in weight to fight a guy he already had the win over. Bhop should have hunted his ass down like tarver was doing. But bhop had other plans.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I am talking more on JMM's end. He has to give Manny a reason to fight a guy for a third time that has not beaten him once. That seems to me to be a hard sell. But you never know.

But why does Manny need to fight for a belt? Clottey didn't have a belt or any good wins under his belt.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
To do that, he had to open up and put himself in danger of getting countered by MArquez. By forcing Marquez to come to him he could just lay back and do what he does best, defense and counterpunching, something Manny could learn if he wants to beat MArquez convincingly.

Of course, everyone knows that Mayweather could just lay on the outside and peck and counterpunc at Marquez the whole fight for a stinker. The point is, Mayweather didn't HAVE to do that just because he could. Mayweather definitely had the talent to turn it up. Mayweather had the hand and foot speed to bust off combinations consistently and be out of there a la a prime ROy Jones. However, he chose to stick to mainly two punch combinations and bore the fans from the outside against an opponent that he outsized and outweighed and outsped and out everything.

Yes, Manny could also do this to make the fight more boring. Ironically, PBF's safety first attitude against a guy he had so many advantages against made his victory less convincing to me just as his horrible points win over DLH.

merce77

Star
Registered
As much as I am a Manny Fan, Dude has been shitting on the boxing public for his last few fights. The reason he won't fight Marquez is clear, Marquez will go into the fight trying to win, not just to make a good account of himself like the past few fights, who were ARUM FIGHTERS with a lot to lose by not following the script. Marquez is in his late 30s, has a few good fights left, and is pissed for the two close decisions he's lost to Manny. These Dude's will make it just as hard for Marquez to get this fight as the PBF negotiations or lack of. They want no parts of him, even though I see Manny clearly beating him, because I don't think Marquez is big enough to hurt Manny enough at this point. He does deserve another big payday though, and before Manny starts down Murders Row, outside of PBF he needs to get his ass in the ring with Marquez and add some finality to this shit!!

I don't think he really hurt Manny in the first two fights Manny, is ironed chinned, Marquez was landing cleanly and often and knocking Manny off balance around the ring because Manny is an unorthodox dude, he doesn't have normal footwork and gets away with it against much slower footed non-boxing IQ opponents. Marquez is as textbook as they come and is always in position to land a perfect 3 or 4 punch combo. When a dude opens up on Manny, Manny gets hit. I mean Clottey threw like 30 punches a round and landed like 150 punches on Manny - he has little defense. Manny looked like he'd been in a FOTY war after that fight, his whole head was bandaged up. Marquez could land over 50% of his punches on Manny still just as easily as he did it to Katsidis. Marquez is also a more aggressive offensive fighter now and a harder puncher as he's moved up. He lets it hang out there, he got knocked down and came back and ate Katsidis food in that round. So he's faced the top 4 lightweight guys out there and owns a record of 4-0 with 3 ko's.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
JMM should be trying to even up his fight with PBF. Lol, just kidding. Good win and let him snack on lightweights. He deserves easier fights than a matchup against Manny.

merce77

Star
Registered
If Berto won't fight Collazo and can't get Manny or Floyd, who should he fight?

I saw Berto at the weigh in and he looked starched, dude didn't couldn't even break a sweat before the fight, he was dehydrated. I think he should be thinking about moving up, a fight with Cotto who's still a big name could be good for him. But then again, Berto doesn't have great power, I don't care what you saw tonight, dude was a crash test dummy that he was fighting. He looked unhealthy physically though, he looked smaller and less muscular. Then again he might have taken dude lightly and not trained well and had to drop weight quick. I know one thing Caballero looked like utter SHIT!!! Dude is not a world class fighter just like I've been saying, nowhere near, he'd been beating little guys that's all. He's sloppy as fuck with his punches, he throws from wide angles - he looked horrible. Arum will be dying to get Juanma or Gamboa in the ring with Caballero now. Dude would get KTFO against either.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
JMM should be trying to even up his fight with PBF. Lol, just kidding. Good win and let him snack on lightweights. He deserves easier fights than a matchup against Manny.

Marquez is 37. The time for easy fights is gone. He wants money and he wants to sure up his legacy. Manny has no reason not to fight Marquez even based on your best arguments and the laughable ones can go unmentioned. Marquez deserves a chance to avenge what he thinks was an unfair loss. If Manny beats the breaks off Marquez, it's boxing.... Marquez knew what he signed up for.