best rapper-turned-actor?

I Am Legend had a lot of problems (the ending) but Will's acting was underrated, no awards or anything.
 
I Am Legend had a lot of problems (the ending) but Will's acting was underrated, no awards or anything.


You didn't like the ending?

Agreed. Dude should have gotten a slew of nominations, at least, for carrying 85-90% of a 2 hour movie alone successfully.
 
You didn't like the ending?

Agreed. Dude should have gotten a slew of nominations, at least, for carrying 85-90% of a 2 hour movie alone successfully.

Cast_away.jpg
 
will, latifah, LL, cube

common is getting better. although his part was short, he was good in Street Kings. and Luda is ok to.

Didnt Mark Walhberg used to rap.
 
will, latifah, LL, cube

common is getting better. although his part was short, he was good in Street Kings. and Luda is ok to.

Didnt Mark Walhberg used to rap.

I got Luda over LL and way over Cube. L's turned out to be a decent actor but he's got to expand his range. I've only seen him step outside of his regular stance once, in "In Too Deep".

I think Snoop is slept on. He's not a great or even very good actor but he has a definite presence and onscreen charisma.
 
Will Smith reigns supreme over anyone. Let's just get that straight.

Mark Wahlberg comes next.


Mos Def is good too but he doesn't have a bevvy of work for me to say he's an all around dope actor. He is however one of my favorite mcs.

Ice T
Pac
.....Latifah...
that's about it, y'all.

I'm waiting for Common and Andre to catch up.

Shame on yall for even mentioning Ja Rule, Dmx etc. :angry:
 
:cool: The thing about this convo that kills me, is when everybody gives Will the knod for best rapper/actor they forget Gettin Jiggy Wit it, Wild Wild West, his last 3 albums and all the wack rap stuff he did.

:dance: Granted, we will always love him for being the Fresh Prince and dude is a dopeass actor, but his music is way less consistent. I defy u 2 listen to Will for a week str8 like u could Cube, Pac, Mos, etc. Summertime, So Fresh, Just cruisin and a very few classic old school joints aside...

:yes: 2Pac's music and acting was pretty consistent, from Poetic Justice to Gridlock'd (made u empathize w/him/his character), to Gang Related/Juice (he made you hate him). And his music was very diverse, hitting on different topics from almost every side/angle (Brenda's Got A baby/Wonda Why they call u bitch/Get Around/Skandalouz, Never b peace/Hitemup/Holla at me/If my homie calls,etc) which hinted at the talent he had, versatility, and scratched the surface of diff. roles he could have played and potential he had

:confused: Mos was a good actor, I actually liked 16 Blocks, but mayb that's just a NY thing n me hatin NYPD, and that movie where he played a surgeon/doctor (first black DR. to do a heart surgery/transplant, sorry its been awhile....), was powerful stuff too.

:yes: Cube makes great movies, he can do the family thing, do Barbershop/Friday/comedy joints, but his action movies suck, so I can't really give him as much props. His music has continued to get better tho', and I respect dat, for him being in it for so damn long....

:yes: Ice T, is a rap pioneer, although I am honestly not very familiar with his music, old or new school. I can say I respect his handle on the acting tip, Law & Order, back to New jack City playin a cop?!! LOL

:smh: LL, terrible actor, corny roles, corny lines, he's from my hood (Hollis), so I don't want to hate him, but his music has consistently gotten worse, more watered down, more of a reach for a younger, female audience.

:smh: Sticky Fingaz, same thing, too inconsistent on both fronts.

:yes: DMX was actually ok on both sides, his music being better, but still room for improvement lyrically and with subject matter (more life issues, and religious, more mature topics could make him a better artist), his roles are pretty much all the same as well. But Never Die Alone was kinda dope and he wasn't as corny in Belly as Nas, it doesn't help that Steven Seagal's wackass was in almost all his shit either....

:yes: Common, fnckin dope on both genres. Guilty confession, even saw that chick flick movie wit Latifah w/a homegirl, not bad, seems like he got some potential there... He was kinda awkward in that Angelina flick tho', but his music is amazing....

:smh: Cam' needs to quit acting and leaveit alone, the most acting he should do is in the booth, not even in a music video, LEAVE IT ALONE KILLA!!!! Be thankful, people still wana hear u rock...

:yes: Meth, should do more acting and rapping, stop being away smokin L's in Redman's basement... He's gotten decent, from being in Oz to The Wire, and movies here and there in between. I think he has to stay focused tho and sharp, not being absent and inconsistent.

:yes: Big Boi and TI were both pretty good actors, which surprised the hell out of me. Guess I was sleepin on u southern cats. Can't sleep on em on the mic..

:smh: 50, idk, he's too much of a big name to me, his image and rep and ego kinda would overshadow whatever character he plays, like I could only see him in certain roles,but u never know... We'll hafta see where he takes it...

:yes: Q-Tip played the hell outta that role in Prison Song. Idk y he hasn't gotten more leads, but idk how consistent dude is, cuz his music is kinda spotty after leavin Tribe.

:smh: Gravy should quit, he's playin BIG in real life, but couldn't even play duke on the silver screen, and his music is wack, although I won't front he got a spit game (pause)...



The only request I have of rappers turning actors is to stop takin corny roles, stop playin a drug dealer, u already play one in damn near 3/4s ur album and 2 of ur videos. So take it somewhere else like Tip or Cube or Mos or Pac do, b/c it's clear that's the only way to get that Will Smith money and the closest to playin a gangsta he's come is Mike in Bad Boys II....
 
Last edited:
You're a nigga and you're a white bitch. So no, incorrect.

You're black and you're a man, so you're a "ni**er," right?? Why can't you accept that identification the way you accept "bitch" for women?? You should encourage white people to describe you that way.
 
Whenever someone asks me "Who is the best________?" I always have to ask "Based on what criteria?" So I will ask it now. Are we using
Boxoffice
Acting ability
Choice of roles

What are we using to determine the best?
 
You didn't like the ending?

Agreed. Dude should have gotten a slew of nominations, at least, for carrying 85-90% of a 2 hour movie alone successfully.
First of all-- if they blew the bridges off of Manhattan island, how did that girl meet Will's character, and how was she able to take a car to that survivor colony?

Other than that, I thought the original ending was too quick, and Will's character didn't change or learn anything. The alternate ending wasnt't the best but it's better for flipping the whole movie around (Will is the monster that hunts and kills people that the mutants care about)

EDIT: (15 day'ers can't embed flash) alternate ending vid: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/i-am-legend-alternative/185731

Either way, yeah, Will's acting killed in this movie
 
Last edited:
First of all-- if they blew the bridges off of Manhattan island, how did that girl meet Will's character, and how was she able to take a car to that survivor colony?

I can see that but it doesn't say she drove onto or off Manhattan Island. The time of his death and when she actually found the survivor colony could have months in between.

Other than that, I thought the original ending was too quick, and Will's character didn't change or learn anything. The alternate ending wasnt't the best but it's better for flipping the whole movie around (Will is the monster, not the mutants)
I don't see where he had to change. The time he met the new people to when he died was just hours, not a lot of time for change or learning. He was sullen and lonely and after his sole companion died, suicidal.
But, it's whatever. Different people see different things.:cool:


EDIT: (15 day'ers can't embed flash) alternate ending vid: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/i-am-legend-alternative/185731

Either way, yeah, Will's acting killed in this movie

:yes:
 
:cool: The thing about this convo that kills me, is when everybody gives Will the knod for best rapper/actor they forget Gettin Jiggy Wit it, Wild Wild West, his last 3 albums and all the wack rap stuff he did.

:


It seems like the thread is geared toward what they've done when the rappers in question started acting.
We're not giving a pass to will with "Wild, Wild West" but the good in his movie career far, far exceeds the bad.


Whenever someone asks me "Who is the best________?" I always have to ask "Based on what criteria?" So I will ask it now. Are we using
Boxoffice
Acting ability
Choice of roles

What are we using to determine the best?


All three, though I think the choice of roles is dictated by an artists' ability.
Smith gets the nod because he's shown to be staggeringly huge box office and exceedingly talented. He gets his choice of roles by being an A-lister and by owning his own production company.
 
Come on now, this isn,t even fucking close

Will Smith

Mos/Walberg/Latifah come in a far second. Pac would have been damn good.
 
I can see that but it doesn't say she drove onto or off Manhattan Island. The time of his death and when she actually found the survivor colony could have months in between.
True, fair enough
I don't see where he had to change. The time he met the new people to when he died was just hours, not a lot of time for change or learning. He was sullen and lonely and after his sole companion died, suicidal.
But, it's whatever. Different people see different things.:cool:
Showing how a character's state of mind is affected by a movie's course of events is a general measure of quality character development, as well as writing/editing.

In the original ending, the mutants are monsters, and Will is cynical and obsessed-- same as the beginning. In the alternate, the mutants show their humanity and it changes Will's outlook. It's definitely not perfect, but it complements the rest of the story better.

That's just what I saw, not saying anybody's wrong for liking the original.
 
I would say Mos Def but he was a actor before a rapper. I'd probably go with Will Smith. David Banner is new but if he keeps working he'll be a decent actor too.
 
Showing how a character's state of mind is affected by a movie's course of events is a general measure of quality character development, as well as writing/editing.

In the original ending, the mutants are monsters, and Will is cynical and obsessed-- same as the beginning. In the alternate, the mutants show their humanity and it changes Will's outlook. It's definitely not perfect, but it complements the rest of the story better.

Oh, okay. I'm not sure if I like the idea of the mutants having "human" side. I might have to check out the alternate ending to see it for myself.

That's just what I saw, not saying anybody's wrong for liking the original.


We're straight. Didn't come off like you were saying that at all. You gave me a new perspective on the ending.
Thread hijacking over.
 
Gotta go with Mos Def. All the serious movie shit aside, dude had me laughing my ass off on the Chappelle Show when he did Black Bush and the Gang Wars skit.


Black%20Bush%5B(003386)23-13-28%5D.JPG



Don't Drop That Shit!!!
:lol::lol::lol:
 
I vowed never see another Mos def movie after seeing 16 blocks and that space adventure movie he was in

- then you're missing out. and actually Mos started out as an actor really. rhyming is his side gig.....

Lackawanna Blues
Something the Lord Made
didnt see this...Cadillac Records

??

- stop it man.....

2pac
mos def
#3 will smith...or sumin like that...
 
Back
Top