TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Watched the first 2 episodes of this series yesterday & also listened to the 1st episode of the popular podcast of the same name (had been meaning to do that previously). Enjoying it thus far. Joshua Jackson is good in the lead role (smug, sociopathic), Hubert Point-Du Jour as "Josh" is also very effective as the circulating nurse. Good to see Christian Slater in a supporting role as well. Fan of his work back in the 90s, but I haven't really checked out his projects the past 20 years. Going to keep watching & then listen to the rest of the podcast episodes afterward. The full season (8 eps) are now available.

Dr. Death is an American crime drama miniseries created by Patrick Macmanus based on the podcast of the same name that was released on Peacock on July 15, 2021.[1] The series consists of eight episodes.

Christopher Daniel Duntsch (born April 3, 1971)[1] is a former neurosurgeon who has been nicknamed Dr. D. and Dr. Death[2] for gross malpractice resulting in the maiming of several patients and killing two of them while working at hospitals in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.[3]
Duntsch was accused of injuring 33 out of 38 patients in less than two years before his license was revoked by the Texas Medical Board.[4] In 2017, he was convicted of maiming one of his patients and sentenced to life imprisonment.[5]

Oh I been waiting to see this!

That's the guy from Dawson creek and the affair always liked his work

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Oh I been waiting to see this!

That's the guy from Dawson creek and the affair always liked his work

Yeah - good actor (Joshua Jackson). Just listened to the TV's Top 5 podcast (from Hollywood Reporter) and the co-host Dan gave it a positive review at the end of the show. Said its the best dramatic offering from the Peacock platform thus far. One of Jackson's better roles. He said it was a bit long at 8 eps, and could have been condensed. Gonna check out the season & circle back to the podcast (from a few years ago) and listen to that in full afterward. Don't want to spoil too much re: the incidents that occurred.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahaitian

Here's the aggregate reviews and scores thus far -

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahaitian

Regarding Hacks - if you stick with it - keep an eye out for how they round out the characters. Found they did a pretty good job fleshing out the characters and giving them backstory. More about the relationship between mother and daughter. A very serious incident in Las Vegas for Ava. Marcus thinking twice about being fully invested in his professional work life. They've been renewed for a 2nd season. Should be good.

As for Mr. Inbetween - definitely give it a watch. Added a few links in my previous reply (and in the next reply). It's an easy series to get through with the shorter running times. You can check out 3 episodes in just over an hour (without ads). 1st season was 6 eps, 2nd season was 11, and recently-finished 3rd season was 9 eps.

We're at the midway point of season 2 now. Checked out 3 eps earlier this week.

Damn it.

They got me I watch like 4 episodes in a row

I'm hooked.

Still think it was a little over hyped as the best new series. Like I said earlier it's REALLY good.

But it took a minute for me to get comfortable and for them to get a rhythm and now I see what hooked folk.

Sidebar...

@Helico-pterFunk

did you know some folk actually did NOT LIKE JEAN SMART in Mare???

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah - good actor (Joshua Jackson). Just listened to the TV's Top 5 podcast (from Hollywood Reporter) and the co-host Dan gave it a positive review at the end of the show. Said its the best dramatic offering from the Peacock platform thus far. One of Jackson's better roles. He said it was a bit long at 8 eps, and could have been condensed. Gonna check out the season & circle back to the podcast (from a few years ago) and listen to that in full afterward. Don't want to spoil too much re: the incidents that occurred.

Sadly the last big trailer they dropped pretty much told the WHOLE STORY.

If I ever had the time money and talent to do a documentary?

I would do one on the history of trailers.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn it.

They got me I watch like 4 episodes in a row

I'm hooked.

Still think it was a little over hyped as the best new series. Like I said earlier it's REALLY good.

But it took a minute for me to get comfortable and for them to get a rhythm and now I see what hooked folk.

Sidebar...

@Helico-pterFunk

did you know some folk actually did NOT LIKE JEAN SMART in Mare???

Right on. Glad you're enjoying it more. I understand what you mean about the overhyped takes on it. At times the writing (being serious and sarcastic) takes a bit to warm up to. But like you said - once you're familiar with the rhythm of the show it's more enjoyable. That's interesting re: people not liking her as the mom on Mare. She's so widely considered a great talent, and well-liked. Man ... she was GREAT on season 2 of Fargo. Might go back and rewatch that season (in a few years). It's still fresh on my mind though, so I wouldn't enjoy it as much. But that season was great ... Mike Milligan, Hanzee Dent, and many more!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Sadly the last big trailer they dropped pretty much told the WHOLE STORY.

If I ever had the time money and talent to do a documentary?

I would do one on the history of trailers.

Agreed. Trailers really do say & show too much.

My dad usually glances at trailers UNTIL they show too much, and then shuts them off (Youtube).

Know some friends & movie critics who say they don't mind skipping them when going to the movie theater. Too many trailers.

Interesting re: documentary idea about trailers' history.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Right on. Glad you're enjoying it more. I understand what you mean about the overhyped takes on it. At times the writing (being serious and sarcastic) takes a bit to warm up to. But like you said - once you're familiar with the rhythm of the show it's more enjoyable. That's interesting re: people not liking her as the mom on Mare. She's so widely considered a great talent, and well-liked. Man ... she was GREAT on season 2 of Fargo. Might go back and rewatch that season (in a few years). It's still fresh on my mind though, so I wouldn't enjoy it as much. But that season was great ... Mike Milligan, Hanzee Dent, and many more!

The jokes got MUCH better as the series progressed

The effects in the throwback videos were very well done

Took me awhile to realize her daughter DJ was from always sunny in Philadelphia, Outstanding role and happy she gets to showcase her acting.

The Asian friend is incredibly hot... wow and a great actress she brings an unexpected depth.

The black guy is just OK so far.

The lead actress? It took 4 episodes for me to realize just how challenging that role is and her acting and line delivery was challenging and unforgiving

And she pulls it off.

That's a tightrope

Cause I REALLY did not like her at all

At all.

But something quirky weird familiar about her that kinda sucks you in and seeing her at the birthday party and in her drawers gave her a sexy I never would have expected

She is able to somehow make that character relatable over time it's crazy

Shout out to her mom... you might get a damn Emmy nomination off of only phone calls.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The jokes got MUCH better as the series progressed

The effects in the throwback videos were very well done

Took me awhile to realize her daughter DJ was from always sunny in Philadelphia, Outstanding role and happy she gets to showcase her acting.

The Asian friend is incredibly hot... wow and a great actress she brings an unexpected depth.

The black guy is just OK so far.

The lead actress? It took 4 episodes for me to realize just how challenging that role is and her acting and line delivery was challenging and unforgiving

And she pulls it off.

That's a tightrope

Cause I REALLY did not like her at all

At all.

But something quirky weird familiar about her that kinda sucks you in and seeing her at the birthday party and in her drawers gave her a sexy I never would have expected

She is able to somehow make that character relatable over time it's crazy

Shout out to her mom... you might get a damn Emmy nomination off of only phone calls.

Indeed - the friend is hot (and cool). Yes - good to see Kaitlin Olson picking up roles. Really happy for everyone involved on It's Always Sunny ... what a wild ride for them. Just think about those contracts they have now, plus the money in syndication / residuals. Watch for the stuff with Ava and her family later in the season. Serious. Yes - challenging role for her early in her acting career (across from Jean Smart). Marcus' character ark improves. Hope we get to see more of his mom later in the series. Funny side note - the guy who plays DJ's boyfriend is Paul Felder (recently retired UFC fighter and current commentator). He's got an acting background. I think Kaitlin Olson may have helped land him the gig. He guested once or twice on It's Always Sunny ... and is friends with those guys. Good fighter - known for his action fights & Hellbows.

It's Always Sunny -

The series' fourteenth season concluded in November 2019. The series was renewed for a fifteenth season in May 2020, making it the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history, replacing The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, which ran for 14 seasons between 1952 to 1966.[4] In December 2020, the series was renewed for a total of four additional seasons, bringing it to season 18.[5]

Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton, and Rob McElhenney met each other while struggling to find acting gigs in Los Angeles. The show came out of a short film idea written by McElhenney and Howerton "where a friend came over to another friend’s house to get sugar, and the friend tells him he has cancer, and all the guy can think about is getting his sugar and getting out of there."[8] This was then developed into a pilot called It's Always Sunny on TV and was shot on a digital camcorder[9] and filmed in the actors' own apartments.[10] They expanded the central cast to four people living in Los Angeles, "a group of best friends who care so little for each other," Howerton said.[8]

It was believed the pilot was shot with a budget of just $200, but Day would later comment, "We shot it for nothing...I don't know where this $200 came from...We were a bunch of kids with cameras running around shooting each other and [the] next thing you know, we're eleven years in and we're still doing the show."[11] This pilot was shopped by the actors around various studios, their pitch being simply showing the DVD of the pilot to executives.[9] After viewing the pilot, FX Network ordered the first season. The show was budgeted at $450,000 an episode, less than a third of a network standard, using Panasonic's DVX100 MiniDV prosumer video camera.[9] The original concept had "the gang" being out-of-work actors with the theme song being a cha-cha version of "Hooray for Hollywood,"[12] however there were too many shows at the time with a similar premise.[8] "The network came to us and said, 'We don’t want a show about actors,' and we said, 'Fine, let’s put it somewhere else,'" McElhenney explained. "I'm from Philly, let's put it in Philly, and we'll make it about a bar, because that's a job where you can have lots of free time and still have income that could explain how these people can sustain themselves."[8] Prior to Kaitlin Olson joining the show, the character Sweet Dee was originally played by Jordan Reid, who at the time was the girlfriend of McElhenney, but was recast after they broke up.[13]

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Indeed - the friend is hot (and cool). Yes - good to see Kaitlin Olson picking up roles. Really happy for everyone involved on It's Always Sunny ... what a wild ride for them. Just think about those contracts they have now, plus the money in syndication / residuals. Watch for the stuff with Ava and her family later in the season. Serious. Yes - challenging role for her early in her acting career (across from Jean Smart). Marcus' character ark improves. Hope we get to see more of his mom later in the series. Funny side note - the guy who plays DJ's boyfriend is Paul Felder (recently retired UFC fighter and current commentator). He's got an acting background. I think Kaitlin Olson may have helped land him the gig. He guested once or twice on It's Always Sunny ... and is friends with those guys. Good fighter - known for his action fights & Hellbows.

It's Always Sunny -

The series' fourteenth season concluded in November 2019. The series was renewed for a fifteenth season in May 2020, making it the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history, replacing The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, which ran for 14 seasons between 1952 to 1966.[4] In December 2020, the series was renewed for a total of four additional seasons, bringing it to season 18.[5]

Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton, and Rob McElhenney met each other while struggling to find acting gigs in Los Angeles. The show came out of a short film idea written by McElhenney and Howerton "where a friend came over to another friend’s house to get sugar, and the friend tells him he has cancer, and all the guy can think about is getting his sugar and getting out of there."[8] This was then developed into a pilot called It's Always Sunny on TV and was shot on a digital camcorder[9] and filmed in the actors' own apartments.[10] They expanded the central cast to four people living in Los Angeles, "a group of best friends who care so little for each other," Howerton said.[8]

It was believed the pilot was shot with a budget of just $200, but Day would later comment, "We shot it for nothing...I don't know where this $200 came from...We were a bunch of kids with cameras running around shooting each other and [the] next thing you know, we're eleven years in and we're still doing the show."[11] This pilot was shopped by the actors around various studios, their pitch being simply showing the DVD of the pilot to executives.[9] After viewing the pilot, FX Network ordered the first season. The show was budgeted at $450,000 an episode, less than a third of a network standard, using Panasonic's DVX100 MiniDV prosumer video camera.[9] The original concept had "the gang" being out-of-work actors with the theme song being a cha-cha version of "Hooray for Hollywood,"[12] however there were too many shows at the time with a similar premise.[8] "The network came to us and said, 'We don’t want a show about actors,' and we said, 'Fine, let’s put it somewhere else,'" McElhenney explained. "I'm from Philly, let's put it in Philly, and we'll make it about a bar, because that's a job where you can have lots of free time and still have income that could explain how these people can sustain themselves."[8] Prior to Kaitlin Olson joining the show, the character Sweet Dee was originally played by Jordan Reid, who at the time was the girlfriend of McElhenney, but was recast after they broke up.[13]

I remember when Always Sunny dropped and some one wrote it was the Seinfeld of its generation...

And you know what?

It probably is

And actually those 4 might have had a BETTER run off that show than THAT 4

Not talking money

But in comedy TV and movies.

Seinfeld and Larry David legends and near billionaires aside.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahait
I remember when Always Sunny dropped and some one wrote it was the Seinfeld of its generation...

And you know what?

It probably is

And actually those 4 might have had a BETTER run off that show than THAT 4

Seinfeld and Larry David legends and near billionaires aside.

Gonna check out the series in full at some point. I caught the first few seasons, missed a number of them, and caught some eps from recent years. Have only seen about 1/3 of the show altogether. My brother said it's definitely worth it. It's definitely the little show that could.

What's really great about the long-running success for shows is that the talent's taken more seriously with future projects and showrunning ideas and pitches.

They have to take them seriously given their track record.

That's got to be a good feeling as a writer-actor. Kind of like being an in-demand singer-songwriter (when other big names require your songwriting).

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahait

Gonna check out the series in full at some point. I caught the first few seasons, missed a number of them, and caught some eps from recent years. Have only seen about 1/3 of the show altogether. My brother said it's definitely worth it. It's definitely the little show that could.

What's really great about the long-running success for shows is that the talent's taken more seriously with future projects and showrunning ideas and pitches.

They have to take them seriously given their track record.

That's got to be a good feeling as a writer-actor. Kind of like being an in-demand singer-songwriter (when other big names require your songwriting).
^^^^

All this.

But you gotta give it to FX having faith and trust in a show that may have not been able to survive anywhere else.

That subject matter?

Essentially all unknowns?

And those long breaks in between seasons?

I stopped watching when they got put on FXX, it just got lost to me same with Archer.

I gotta go back one day on both those shows.

It's just too much content!!!

And worse these movies and shows keep moving and switching platforms!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
^^^^

All this.

But you gotta give it to FX having faith and trust in a show that may have not been able to survive anywhere else.

That subject matter?

Essentially all unknowns?

And those long breaks in between seasons?

I stopped watching when they got put on FXX, it just got lost to me same with Archer.

I gotta go back one day on both those shows.

It's just too much content!!!

And worse these movies and shows keep moving and switching platforms!

Agreed. Those long gaps between seasons. They must have a similar deal to Larry David with HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've heard that he's got no set schedule wherein seasons need to be released. Hence the breaks between seasons.

Totally agree re: too much content.

It's like a smorgasbord / cereal aisle at this point.

Can't keep track of what's out there. Have to jot down series titles & plan out what to watch when.

Hell ... I follow pop culture / entertainment ... and I haven't heard of the MAJORITY of the stuff when I look over the streaming sites, news articles, On Demand sections, and so on.

And funnily enough ... lots of it looks worthwhile, but you'll never get around to it.

I think that's why we've been tackling the shorter series, or shows with shorter running times. We know we can finish them & move on to something else.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed. Those long gaps between seasons. They must have a similar deal to Larry David with HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've heard that he's got no set schedule wherein seasons need to be released. Hence the breaks between seasons.

Totally agree re: too much content.

It's like a smorgasbord / cereal aisle at this point.

Can't keep track of what's out there. Have to jot down series titles & plan out what to watch when.

Hell ... I follow pop culture / entertainment ... and I haven't heard of the MAJORITY of the stuff when I look over the streaming sites, news articles, On Demand sections, and so on.

And funnily enough ... lots of it looks worthwhile, but you'll never get around to it.

I think that's why we've been tackling the shorter series, or shows with shorter running times. We know we can finish them & move on to something else.

^^^^

Exactly right on shorter series

Many times just off run time I give up on a series

I can't commit especially an unproven series.

I want to watch the crown but it's a huge commitment

Worse is when you start on a series and it's wack but you already 4 hours to a 8/10 hour season.

I knocked out 8 episodes of Hacks back to back

But I couldn't watch the 2 final episodes of the irregulars.

I just lost interest.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahaitian

Perfect example of our viewing habits ...

The Kings docuseries - 4 episodes

Mare of Easttown - 7 episodes

Mr. Inbetween - episodes run shorter than 30 mins

Black Summer - episodes run shorter than 45 mins

Physical - 27 - 34 mins, per Wikipedia

City on a Hill - 8 eps

Godfather of Harlem - gonna be 10 eps total once it resumes in August

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahaitian

Perfect example of our viewing habits ...

The Kings docuseries - 4 episodes

Mare of Easttown - 7 episodes

Mr. Inbetween - episodes run shorter than 30 mins

Black Summer - episodes run shorter than 45 mins

Physical - 27 - 34 mins, per Wikipedia

City on a Hill - 8 eps

Godfather of Harlem - gonna be 10 eps total once it resumes in August

Bro?

I feel there are some major corporations in entertainment that would compensate you very well for your ability to understand translate and categorize media quickly like you do

Seriously.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
^^^^

Exactly right on shorter series

Many times just off run time I give up on a series

Good point re: The Crown. Big time investment.

Regarding running times ... seems like the old model of 20 - 24 episodes of sitcoms & network dramas is passe.

They wear out their welcome over time, or eventually jump the shark.

On a similar note re: shorter seasons. Looking forward to Peaky Blinders' eventual final season. They mapped out their show right. 5 seasons so far - 6 episodes per season. We tackled that one from the fall of 2020 - spring of 2021.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good point re: The Crown. Big time investment.

Regarding running times ... seems like the old model of 20 - 24 episodes of sitcoms & network dramas is passe.

They wear out their welcome over time, or eventually jump the shark.

On a similar note re: shorter seasons. Looking forward to Peaky Blinders' eventual final season. They mapped out their show right. 5 seasons so far - 6 episodes per season. We tackled that one from the fall of 2020 - spring of 2021.

I remember when Americans complained about bbc shows short runs

Now it's not only the norm it's the winning formula

Same with how Disney and Amazon started the weekly release instead of the entire season drop invented by Netflix.

People complained....

But they still watched.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
But I gotta watch Evil the minute it drops @Helico-pterFunk

Which show do you have to watch IMMEDIATELY once it drops?

Good stuff re: Evil. You've given positive feedback for the series & I've heard critics co-sign your takes of late.

As for me ... I usually check out sports & reality shows later that evening or a day or two later (off the DVR).

As for the shows we're routinely watching ... many of them have tended to fall on Sunday evenings (HBO, Showtime, AMC ones) so we'll usually check them out later in the week. Saved to flashdrive. Usually on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Bro?

I feel there some corporations in entertainment that would compensate you very well for ability to understand translate and categorize media quickly like you do

Seriously.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Combination of reading articles & listening to podcasts. Trying to understand what the media insiders & reviewers/critics are saying. Watching more of the stuff they're watching or recommending.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good stuff re: Evil. You've given positive feedback for the series & I've heard critics co-sign your takes of late.

As for me ... I usually check out sports & reality shows later that evening or a day or two later (off the DVR).

As for the shows we're routinely watching ... many of them have tended to fall on Sunday evenings (HBO, Showtime, AMC ones) so we'll usually check them out later in the week. Saved to flashdrive. Usually on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Combination of reading articles & listening to podcasts. Trying to understand what the media insiders & reviewers/critics are saying. Watching more of the stuff they're watching or recommending.

Don't sell yourself short

Your not just aggregating

Your giving YOUR unique spin opinion and analysis too

You got a knack for that a gift

What you do with this stuff ain't easy or common.

You could do the same damn thing and better with this entertainment news and review stuff that these podcasts and sites are doing bro

Just need the money time resources and support.

F*ck that, Actually you just need to do that when you fell like it.

You DOING IT ALREADY

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I remember when Americans complained about bbc shows short runs

Now it's not only the norm it's the winning formula

Same with how Disney and Amazon started the weekly release instead of the entire season drop invented by Netflix.

People complained....

But they still watched.

Agreed. The limited series are much more appealing now with a massive TV landscape. Hell ... like hiphop in the 90s ... feels like TV's "golden era" at the moment. Quality left and right.

One of the podcasts I was listening to recently mentioned the Amazon / Disney weekly releases like you said. They noted it was a very smart move. People were getting so used to "the new shit" arriving and then forgetting about it days later. Whereas The Mandalorian, Wandavision, Falcon & TWS, Loki & more have hitten their groove now.

Think about a massive international hit like Stranger Things. They have big gaps between seasons, and are always well-received. Imagine how much buzz they would generate if they released the 10 episodes over the course of 2.5 months ... they'd have additional buzz. Especially with their summertime or fall release schedules. Glancing at Wiki - season 1 was mid-July 2016. Season 2 was late-October 2017. Season 3 was July 4th, 2019.

They'd be smart to do a July to mid-September release. Just my $0.02.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Don't sell yourself short

Your not just aggregating

Your giving YOUR unique spin opinion and analysis too

You got a knack for that a gift

What you do with this stuff ain't easy or common.

You could do the same damn thing and better with this entertainment news and review stuff that these podcasts and sites are doing bro

Just need the money time resources and support.

F*ck that, Actually you just need to do that when you fell like it.

You DOING IT ALREADY

Funny side note ... I always got shitty grades in English courses - high school and college. Can't formulate my writing for shit. Got a shitload of C and C+ grades, lol.

:cheers:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Gonna probably check out this series in the near future ... just started a few days ago. Trailer reminders me a little bit of season 1 of The Terror from a few years ago.

The North Water is an upcoming BBC Two five-part television serial, based on Ian McGuire's novel of the same name. It will premiere on AMC+ in the United States on July 15, 2021.[1]

"Farrell plays Henry Drax in the drama, a harpooner and brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world, who will set sail on a whaling expedition to the Arctic with Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as the ship’s doctor. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland."[2]

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
@Quek9 @playahaitian

Good shit

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Funny side note ... I always got shitty grades in English courses - high school and college. Can't formulate my writing for shit. Got a shitload of C and C+ grades, lol.

:cheers:

Cause THAT form of writing is NOT your forte

its not your VOICE

You have an outstanding conversational style in your writing. in fact its actually very instructional.

Your tone and voice is very consistent, warm and informative.

Your writing voice is very distinct.

Writing is difficult thing to teach beyond technical.

You can be taught structure, grammar etc

But you have the STYLE down pat, bro.

I commend you cause you must have independently decided to develop and work on that.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed. The limited series are much more appealing now with a massive TV landscape. Hell ... like hiphop in the 90s ... feels like TV's "golden era" at the moment. Quality left and right.

One of the podcasts I was listening to recently mentioned the Amazon / Disney weekly releases like you said. They noted it was a very smart move. People were getting so used to "the new shit" arriving and then forgetting about it days later. Whereas The Mandalorian, Wandavision, Falcon & TWS, Loki & more have hitten their groove now.

Think about a massive international hit like Stranger Things. They have big gaps between seasons, and are always well-received. Imagine how much buzz they would generate if they released the 10 episodes over the course of 2.5 months ... they'd have additional buzz. Especially with their summertime or fall release schedules. Glancing at Wiki - season 1 was mid-July 2016. Season 2 was late-October 2017. Season 3 was July 4th, 2019.

They'd be smart to do a July to mid-September release. Just my $0.02.

Agreed

But I think there IS a downside

I don't know how major it is or could be

I watched Hacks back to back

I don't know if after that 1st episode if it would have been APPOINTMENT viewing

You don't want a bunch of shows doing that because it would make the existing playing field even MORE crowded

And also 2 bad episodes in a row?

many viewers outside loyal Disney fans gonna bail.

I think its a show by show basis.

Evil works Law & Order works... because at its heart its still network TV shows.

Disney shows I think a LOT of it was pandemic related

We WANTED and NEEDED normalcy AND a distraction

and appointment FAMILY viewing.

The Last Dance was that

Mandalorian was that.

some shows are MADE to binge

EVEN if its 1 hour episodes

I think Mare is that (it probably works BOTH ways)

But I think some shows are just made to be watched back to back

I can;t DEFINE what the criteria is or should be

but it just IS

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahaitian

Thanks - I really appreciate that. That's one of the best thngs about online forums. The opportunity to develop more of a conversational style. Especially over the course of 20+ years. You're right about technical structure. I was never able to fully grasp that. Essays, term papers, etc. Following certain specific formats. Took a few years of psych, sociology, and philosophy in college. Stressful at times with some of the writing. As for the English courses ... always a bit of a headscratcher. I'd turn in assignments in HS and college ... get them back with ALL TYPES of shit crossed out & red ink everywhere from the prof'. Left me thinking - "Was it really that bad?" - thought I'd turned in something decent.

Good point about the release schedule being weekly versus binge format all at once.

One of the positives about full season drops is you can quickly check out a few eps and come to the realization something isn't for you. Then you'll know whether to invest more time. The week-to-back can be frustrating as you just want to know if something's fully got your time and interest. It's a tricky thing. Even when reviewers are saying - "First few episodes are so-so ... but stick around to ep 3 or 4 when they actually improve ..."

Wandavision was interesting at the start of the year. Episodes 1 and 2 left a number of viewers wondering where they were going with it ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Agreed. Appointment and family viewing.

NBC was very smart with their Thursday evening comedies.

Fox with their Sunday evening line-ups.

ABC with their Friday evening comedies.

I remember being in grade school and the watercooler talk when kids would return to class on Monday were the Friday & Sunday shows. Step-by-Step, Family Matters, The Simpsons, In Living Color, etc.

Remember being in class and the assorted Simpsons costumes kids sported at Halloween that 1st season. Little did I know the show would still be on the air 30 or more years later!!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed. Appointment and family viewing.

NBC was very smart with their Thursday evening comedies.

Fox with their Sunday evening line-ups.

ABC with their Friday evening comedies.

I remember being in grade school and the watercooler talk when kids would return to class on Monday were the Friday & Sunday shows. Step-by-Step, Family Matters, The Simpsons, In Living Color, etc.

Remember being in class and the assorted Simpsons costumes kids sported at Halloween that 1st season. Little did I know the show would still be on the air 30 or more years later!!!!

I think family viewing is a really undervalued TV market

excuse me

GOOD family viewing viewing

I notice during pandemic

the family would watch a LOT of those reality shows I mean the competition ones like baking, cooking, making jewelry etc

Just something we could watch TOGETHER

no violence sex etc.

Finding Dion to me was perfect family adventure TV

Mandalorian, Vision. Loki same thing.

I think if I had an opportunity and a good concept THAT is the lane I would go down and try to dominate

even in podcasting

something FAMILY can listen to and enjoy.

I think its an under valued demographic and market that is only going to GROW.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I think family viewing is a really undervalued TV market

excuse me

GOOD family viewing viewing

I notice during pandemic

the family would watch a LOT of those reality shows I mean the competition ones like baking, cooking, making jewelry etc

Just something we could watch TOGETHER

no violence sex etc.

Finding Dion to me was perfect family adventure TV

Mandalorian, Vision. Loki same thing.

I think if I had an opportunity and a good concept THAT is the lane I would go down and try to dominate

even in podcasting

something FAMILY can listen to and enjoy.

I think its an under valued demographic and market that is only going to GROW.

Well said. Yeah - things definitely have to appeal to wider audiences. Some of the media insiders have been saying in recent years the reason why we see so many sequels and reboots is because studios & financial backers just aren't willing to take a risk on new ideas and concepts. They want to go with something which is tried and true. Even if no one was asking for yet another sequel, or a reboot from 20 - 30 years ago. So when they're made, they need to be done well.

The studios are banking on the built-in audience of us now liking the stuff when we were kids or teens - i.e. Saved by the Bell, Cruella, Mulan, Halloween franchise, and countless more.

Also ... they are looking to cash in on merchandising opportunities too, as kids these days will want to own the clothing & stuff from the kid-themed stuff, or the physical media (blu-ray). An interesting juggling act during the pandemic of 2020 / 2021 ... in that so many movies were pushed back, or the various streaming options. Those VOD ones which were $20 - 30 or more. Or wait 1 - 3 months and it'll be available on the platform like Disney+ or Paramount+ .... meanwhile everyone else is scrambling to locate the streamers, lol.