Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
That’s why I leave my pennies alone when they tank. Sometimes you never know and with the PPP some of these companies will be profitable. This will have a big sell off because of the profit taking (which you have to up 1,400%) but can eventually hit $1. Thats the magic number for the pink sheet, Penny stocks. congrats on the hit!

Thanks man.
$1 makes me a millionaire several times over.
Let's get it.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
$VDRM shot out of the gate @APOPHIS. In and out in 15 mins for 100%

Holding strong. The word is getting out and some individuals and institutions are tweeting about the news. I expect a pullback come tomorrow, but the long term outlook is ver y promising. I will hold 1/2 of my shares for the next few months.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$TSM up 50%+ since I bought in. I need to get on these quicker plays you guys are doing.
@Madrox called it out about me already. I got eyes and ears everywhere so I turn down more plays now than I make but as long as I make 15% ROI a month, I’m good. So far this month it has been a daily double which isn’t realistic. There are no emotions in this game. January effect and small cap runners are GOLD.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
$TSM up 50%+ since I bought in. I need to get on these quicker plays you guys are doing.
@Madrox called it out about me already. I got eyes and ears everywhere so I turn down more plays now than I make but as long as I make 15% ROI a month, I’m good. So far this month it has been a daily double which isn’t realistic. There are no emotions in this game. January effect and small cap runners are GOLD.

Good thing is, it's like so many plays so little time. There seems to always be a next play to be made, based on any situation and money amount you're working with.

The last few weeks I've actually been liquidating some holds in my trading account and building up some buying power. I may limit my plays to a few bigger swings here and there or long term call options and trade less frequent. At least for the time being. Longer term plays suit me better..

Funny thing is I've more than doubled my measly account without even noticing. $50 profit here, $75 profit there..

be trying to hit doubles like Edgar Martinez.
SnappyHollowBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Poshmark filed for an IPO. My wife is an Ambassador on the platform, so she was offered a pre-launch stock buy in. Let's see how it goes.

Poshmark opens at $97.50. My wife bought in at $42, but the lockout period is 90 day (I believe). Lets see what happens.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do you manage losing positions?

1) Do you cut your losses on the losing positions when a winning positions equals out the loss? Thus a net 0 gain?
2) Do you just hold on to them(weeks, months, years) if they're general stocks until/hopefully they make gains?
3) Do you out right take the loss once they hit 10%,20% etc?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

1) Do you cut your losses on the losing positions when a winning positions equals out the loss? Thus a net 0 gain?
2) Do you just hold on to them(weeks, months, years) if they're general stocks until/hopefully they make gains?
i often sell if it breaks support level.....that way my loses are always minimal.
most people that dont watch the charts have no idea what the support level is....and so they end up holding onto stocks longer than they have to.....hoping it will go back up.
since i day trade....i really dont have to sit and guess since im always watching the charts and knowing when to sell or swing a trade into the next day.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i often sell if it breaks support level.....that way my loses are always minimal.
most people that dont watch the charts have no idea what the support level is....and so they end up holding onto stocks longer than they have to.....hoping it will go back up.
since i day trade....i really dont have to sit and guess since im always watching the charts and knowing when to sell or swing a trade into the next day.

I think part of the challenge with daytrading for some, like myself, is having accounts under 21K and PTD. You can only do so many day trades. Thus you're limited to holding positions that break support in the example you give.

Cash accounts limits the trades you can make due to 2-3 days settle rules.

I won't even get into options.

Bottomline some positions and strategies for many i suspect are limited to your account size.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think part of the challenge with daytrading for some, like myself, is having accounts under 21K and PTD. You can only do so many day trades. Thus you're limited to holding positions that break support in the example you give.

Cash accounts limits the trades you can make due to 2-3 days settle rules.

I won't even get into options.

Bottomline some positions and strategies for many i suspect are limited to your account size.
yeah thats why i use TS, RH, Webull, and Merrill Edge......i can utilize those 8 trades and swing 4.
but with Webull its a little different tho.....cuz as long as i have settled cash, i can continue to trade all day everyday.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor

1) I always cut my losses. I set an initial stop of say -7%. If it gets hit, I'm out.

2) If the stock is running up, I let it go. But, I have target alerts of say, +10%, +15%, and +20%. If it reaches these targets, I watch it more closely. But, I make a point to never give profits back. If I hit a 10% target, then the price starts to turn and drop, I close the position. I'd rather walk away with say +8% than to wait for a stock price to run back up that high after dropping. I can take that money and place it in another more profitable trade.

3) I can't see myself losing 10%... That's just crazy. I'll close the position way before then.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1) I always cut my losses. I set an initial stop of say -7%. If it gets hit, I'm out.

2) If the stock is running up, I let it go. But, I have target alerts of say, +10%, +15%, and +20%. If it reaches these targets, I watch it more closely. But, I make a point to never give profits back. If I hit a 10% target, then the price starts to turn and drop, I close the position. I'd rather walk away with say +8% than to wait for a stock price to run back up that high after dropping. I can take that money and place it in another more profitable trade.

3) I can't see myself losing 10%... That's just crazy. I'll close the position way before then.

Good general rules! But if you own stocks in volatile stocks like Tesla then a piss in the wind and your down 10%+ and within a second you back up 10%. Also not to mention it's based on position side. If you have a large position size then it takes a significant drop to lose 10%. But if you have only 2 shares in say $ZM then it doesn't take much.

One thing i wish we talked about A LOT more in this thread is money management, risk assesment skills, investing psychology etc. It's great some people are killing it. But odds are most are struggling and worst some in this very thread, have some really good investing system in place, but aren't willing to contribute it to the board. One of the most fucked up things i've ever seen.

I was reading something recently that talk about if you invested 1%-5% vs up to 50% of you account on the same number of winners and losers(lets say 60 winners and 40 losers) over a x amount of trades. Then at the end of the exercise the 1%-5% of investement ended with a higher gain and less loss overall than the 50% or more. I can't tell you how profound that is for those of use that trade somewhat regularly.

Anyway i'm rambling..

Last edited:

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Good general rules! But if you own stocks in volatile stocks like Tesla then a piss in the wind and your down 10%+ and within a second you back up 10%. Also not to mention it's based on position side. If you have a large position size then it takes a significant drop to lose 10%. But if you have only 2 shares in say $ZM then it doesn't take much.

One thing i wish we talked about A LOT more in this thread is money management, risk assesment skills, investing psychology etc. It's great some people are killing it. But odds are most are struggling and worst some in this very thread have some really good investing system in place, but aren't willing to contribute it to the board. One of the most fucked up things i've ever seen.

I was reading something recently that talk about if you invested 1%-5% vs up to 50% of you account on the same number of winners and losers(lets say 60 winners and 40 losers) over a x amount of trades. Then at the end of the exercise the 1%-5% of investement ended with a higher gain and less loss overall than the 50% or more. I can't tell you how profound that is for those of use that trade somewhat regularly.

Anyway i'm rambling..

I don't really have a certain strategy but I know I like to invest in a mix of blue chip and growth stocks for the long term. I try to check out the financials and the competitors financials. Dollar cost averaging is a must b/c it feels impossible to time the market (unless there's a known event: hurricane, earthquake, brexit, 'rona).

I'm thinking of pivoting more towards dividend oriented stocks this year and trying to diversify my tech heavy portfolio. One tsunami hits taiwan, and I'm taking a hit...

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor

One thing i wish we talked about A LOT more in this thread is money management, risk assesment skills, investing psychology etc. It's great some people are killing it. But odds are most are struggling and worst some in this very thread, have some really good investing system in place, but aren't willing to contribute it to the board. One of the most fucked up things i've ever seen.

Anyway i'm rambling..

I understand what you're saying. I can only speak for myself. I'm still learning the game. I've done a lot of studying though, so right now, I'm refining my system.

I'm doing good in the market now, better than I've ever done. I want to get into options, that's where I'm weak: for now.

But, it doesn't hurt anyone to share information. There's probably hundreds of billions of dollars floating through the markets everyday, so it won't hurt none of us in the pocket if we share info... That's why, if I can answer a question, I will.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't really have a certain strategy but I know I like to invest in a mix of blue chip and growth stocks for the long term. I try to check out the financials and the competitors financials. Dollar cost averaging is a must b/c it feels impossible to time the market (unless there's a known event: hurricane, earthquake, brexit, 'rona).

I'm thinking of pivoting more towards dividend oriented stocks this year and trying to diversify my tech heavy portfolio. One tsunami hits taiwan, and I'm taking a hit...

Investing Psychology
The dollar cost averaging hits on two important points, imo! One has to do with investing psychology and two reaffirming your research. As for the investing psychology, I think it's important to acknowldge and understand it's perfectly understandable and reasonable to be gun shy when the stock in your portfolio is in the
red. That shit hurts and who the hell wants to pour more money into a stock when it shows -x,y,z and you're down x% which translates into 100s and/or 1000s of dollars? That goes against what most of us know inherently! Throw more money into something that's currently losing you money? Fuck that! Interestly in stocks that's almost EXACTLY what you should do assuming you did the research.

Trusting your research
Understanding how the market works and more critically trusting your research on x,y,z company is absolutely essential to long term success. Taking an example of say $NIO, more recently $PLUG, and for a deep cut $GEVO as examples i'll show you how not trusting my research cost me big time. I had almost $4,000 invested in $GEVO when it was around 0.70c that's about 5,700 shares. I had about 100 shares of $NIO and 100 shares of $Plug. $GEVO was on some really innovated stuff and were getting contract with airline industries etc. Same goes with $NIO and $PLUG. If i trusted my research, had a better understanding of investing psychology, and the ebb and flows of the market with my initial investment of around $5,000 I'd be sitting on:

$GEVO 5,700 shares x $6.80 (current price) = $38,760
$NIO 100 share x $60.87 (current price) = $6,087
$PLUG 100 shares x $66.54 (current price) = $6,654

Total = $51,501

In less than 6 MONTHS

Ofcourse these types of companies aren't necessarily the norm interms of growth. But tech and specifically EV/Green energy etc is it's own beast.

Anyway, I hope we can have more dialogues about these critical things in this thread to help guide each other.

For the record, i've never been a fan of the ":money::money::money:" post if it doesn't follow with a "Here's what i did and you can possibly do too."

Last edited: