Discussion: ESPN The Last Dance 10-Part Michael Jordan Documentary Series UPDATE: Early release due to coronavirus!

TrippCiti

Rising Star
Registered
Me and my father went to the early Jordan years games. Attendance his rookie year was so bad; we‘d get walk up tickets 10 minutes before tipoff AND there was a concert after that. Saw all the Motown acts. Good seats all over Chicago Stadium. After that year the only tickets you could get walk up were standing room only and you needed to get THOSE earlier in the day. The Chicago Stadium had no elevators so you have to walk upstairs all the way to the top of that bitch. And the temperature was completely dependent on what time of year it was. And then you couldn’t even get those at the box office walk up. LOL. Good times.

Yeah, I remember games at the old barn...Had some good times with the crew, but that building definitely showed its age... Tight-ass seating, suspect plumbing, shady mugs outside...But I guess that was part of that whole gritty Chicago thing...Went to the United Center the first year it opened, and it was a totally different atmosphere...Crowd was still loud, but the vibe was a lot more corporate and sterile.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
jan-2002-a-washington-wizards-fan-holds-a-sign-directed-at-the-bulls-picture-id1411244

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
The thing is there will be a group online that will take this and run with it. You are correct btw! I agree.

Glad you didn't think my rant was directed at you, it was whoever tweeted that

The difference is, Jordan was making much more money off endorsements. If I I remember correctly, Pippen had a much smaller endorsement deal with Nike, and the only other endorsement was from Ginsana supplements. Remember "Feel your Ginsana"? :smh:

But he earned that with Nike and Gatorade from what he did for them.

How much money did he make the Bulls and NBA? The Bulls were a shit organization prior, how much do you think they went up in value? Do you think people bought Chicago Bulls jerseys prior?

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody know where I can watch this? I don’t have cable anymore and my ESPN stream on Modbro was offline last night so I missed out, been searching YouTube but I don’t see it anywhere

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah this gonna be interesting

And to be fair both can be true

He was a legend executive

And an insecure asshole who undermined the greatest sports dynasties of all time

And if he was Black?

he would be forever remembered for the latter

And all black execs after him too

Is he really a good executive? Or did he get lucky?

he’s like Dame Dash. You get Jay-Z/ by chance and it’s easy to build a roster around him.

you get mike from Rod all you have to do is fill in some pieces.After Mike they have been no where close to the finals.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

he’s like Dame Dash. You get Jay-Z/ by chance and it’s easy to build a roster around him.

you get mike from Rod all you have to do is fill in some pieces.After Mike they have been no where close to the finals.

Very true

shamone

Rising Star
OG Investor

when dame had jay no label wanted to sign him. they work their asses off to become the jay-z brand we know now.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Nah as much as he was an ass...

We can't rewrite history like that

I aint saying there will be another jordan situation

But to just act like the surrounding pieces were just THERE to be gotten by ANYONE is just wrong.

That Pippen trade, getting ron harper, even the Kucoc obsession...

Hate to admit it but even the horrible Pippen contract

You gotta respect it.

Cause we got MANY superstars many many

Who never got to the promised land solely because of bad management

I don't believe organizations win championships alone

But they certainly can LOSE them.

Solid organization will provide the stability and support to build championships

AROUND the essential star players

Krause was a DAMN good gm

He also made perhaps the WORST series of decisions in sports after insane success

Red Auerbach
Pat Riley
Pop & Company
Jerry West

Would NEVER EVER make that mistake.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pippen's rookie contract was worth a combined $5 million, while the base salary of the deal he signed in 1993 was worth an average of $3 million a season for the last two years alone.
Tellingly, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf suggested a long-term deal would not be in Pippen's best interest.
"I told him when he was getting ready to sign this deal that 'halfway through it you're going to think you're underpaid, especially since we front-loaded it,'" Reinsdorf told The Chicago Tribune in 1995.
"His answer was, 'You'll never hear from me.' I told him I didn't believe it, but he promised that would be the case.
"I know he's underpaid. Sometimes I make good deals and sometimes I make bad deals."
Reinsdorf touched on the same topic in the documentary.
"I don't recall the terms of the deal," he explained.
"But I do recall that it was a longer contract than I thought was smart for him. [...] I said to Scottie the same thing I said to Michael: 'You might be selling yourself short.'"
By 1995 the contract no longer looked a smart decision and Pippen, who never made over $4 million a year during the Bulls' six title runs, told TNT Sports during a court side interview he wanted to be traded.

https://www.newsweek.com/scottie-pippen-salary-net-worth-michael-jordan-comparison-1498906

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

She should look at the reason Scottie made more. :dunno:

After the 98 season, MJ retired and played another two years a couple of years later for the Wizards. He gave the Wizards a break and played for 1 million dollars a year.

Scottie went on to play another 7 yeas and made 87.4 million dollars.

I’m happy for Scottie for getting his money!

But tell the whole story.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Like the OKC exec that got KD, Westbrook and Harden all in the top 5 and rode that shit to fame. What are the odds you get 3 top 5 picks in a row??? Hell, should you have even gotten 3 years considering you're in the lottery 3 years in a row???

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Pippen's rookie contract was worth a combined $5 million, while the base salary of the deal he signed in 1993 was worth an average of $3 million a season for the last two years alone.
Tellingly, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf suggested a long-term deal would not be in Pippen's best interest.
"I told him when he was getting ready to sign this deal that 'halfway through it you're going to think you're underpaid, especially since we front-loaded it,'" Reinsdorf told The Chicago Tribune in 1995.
"His answer was, 'You'll never hear from me.' I told him I didn't believe it, but he promised that would be the case.
"I know he's underpaid. Sometimes I make good deals and sometimes I make bad deals."
Reinsdorf touched on the same topic in the documentary.
"I don't recall the terms of the deal," he explained.
"But I do recall that it was a longer contract than I thought was smart for him. [...] I said to Scottie the same thing I said to Michael: 'You might be selling yourself short.'"
By 1995 the contract no longer looked a smart decision and Pippen, who never made over $4 million a year during the Bulls' six title runs, told TNT Sports during a court side interview he wanted to be traded.

https://www.newsweek.com/scottie-pippen-salary-net-worth-michael-jordan-comparison-1498906

Wow

Still insincere and disingenuous as hell

But if the man said that?

And Pippen didn't dispute it?

Well then its done.

But that also doesn't absolve Scottie horrible agent

His rookie contract was trash too

And in fact the Bulls COULD have renegotiated the last year of Pippen contract

Again bad agent.

And bad owner to let all that happen and destroy a dynasty.

Last edited:

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody know where I can watch this? I don’t have cable anymore and my ESPN stream on Modbro was offline last night so I missed out, been searching YouTube but I don’t see it anywhere

Sign up for YoutubeTV hommie they have a 6 free trial that should let you catch the rerun.

But its only $50 bones a month plus you can have up to 6 devices streaming at once, meaning you can split the $50 with somebody else like folks do NetFlix.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Like the OKC exec that got KD, Westbrook and Harden all in the top 5 and rode that shit to fame. What are the odds you get 3 top 5 picks in a row??? Hell, should you have even gotten 3 years considering you're in the lottery 3 years in a row???

Fair point.

But we seen execs GET top 5 picks and STILL f*ck up

Ummmm i feel like naming one in particular right now kinda undermines the man of the hour