How has the Coronavirus impacted you directly, to this point?

THREAD_CRITIC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And the armed guards are a panicked response, and has you totally discombobulated.

My entire circle of friends are physicians.

Say it with me:

85% of people infected with covid 19 have mild symptoms and recover within 2 weeks.

Severe cases need ICU treatment usually including intubation.

Covid 19 has probably been here since December 2019.

Our government failed us and a militarized response is the wrong response.

We will continue to be infected well into 2020 and beyond.

Stop being scared and figure out what your intellectual response will be.

You’re in denial, Typical I know everything bgol member I was that person too for years...I don’t really care enough anymore to keep that energy but you keep going by your circle of physician friends....and ill go by what I’m seeing real time....at a hospital.............

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
I work for a cable company and they still have us out here going in houses. I mostly work in businesses, but a lot of those are shut down. So I'm doing a lot of houses this past week. I'm trying to figure out why not only us but AT&T technicians as well are still going in 8 to 9 houses day? I just don't get it. Im off for the next 3 days, but I might call in Sunday if they dont shut this shit down for a few weeks.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I work for a cable company and they still have us out here going in houses. I mostly work in businesses, but a lot of those are shut down. So I'm doing a lot of houses this past week. I'm trying to figure out why not only us but AT&T technicians as well are still going in 8 to 9 houses day? I just don't get it. Im off for the next 3 days, but I might call in Sunday if they dont shut this shit down for a few weeks.
People need to work remote so they have y’all risking your lives

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Metropolitan Opera Is Furloughing Its Orchestra, Chorus, and Trades
By Sarah Jones and Justin Davidson
Nobody’s there. Photo: Jonathan Tishler/Met Opera
The dismantling of America’s cultural infrastructure has begun. The Metropolitan Opera will furlough all its union employees—musicians, chorus members, stagehands, carpenters, and other trades—starting April 1. In internal communications obtained by Vulture, the company told employees that it plans to reopen on schedule in September, and until then union members will receive health insurance but no paychecks. During the months they won’t be paid, the Met will waive the weekly contributions employees otherwise make for healthcare. Non-union staff, including members of management, aren’t being furloughed, but senior staff will take pay cuts. General manager Peter Gelb will give up his salary for the duration of the disruption, the company said.
“As devastating as it is to have to close the Met, this was the rare instance where the show simply couldn’t go on,” Gelb said in a statement. “We send our thanks to our loyal audiences and we’re doing our best to support our employees during this extraordinarily difficult time. We look forward to being reunited in the fall with a new season.”
The Met employs 3,000 people, and most of them belong to Local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians, the American Guild of Musical Artists, and several locals of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. On Wednesday evening, the unions scrambled to reassure members that they would not be left destitute during the furlough.
According to an email sent by Local 802’s Metropolitan Orchestra Committee to union musicians, the Met will continue to provide instrument insurance. Paid sick leave and accrued vacation can’t be used during the furlough, but union members can use it later. Crucially for the union, the committee said that “it is understood” that the terms of the collective bargaining agreements will be reinstated in September when the Met re-opens, and that the settlement setting forth the terms of the furlough period will not establish a precedent for future negotiations. Members of the committee will also meet with Peter Gelb, the Met’s general manager, throughout the month of April, to discuss the company’s fundraising and the closure’s financial impact on workers.

Members of IATSE received a similar email on Thursday morning. In it, James Claffey, the president of IATSE’s Local One, said that further news about the details of the union’s specific agreement with the Met would be forthcoming, but reminded members that the local’s Annuity Hardship Distribution Option could provide up to $30,000 worth of assistance to individuals.
The relationship between the Met and its unions has occasionally turned hostile. Union members accepted significant pay cuts in 2015. The company has been in tough financial straits for years, often struggling to fill the 3,800-seat house and relying ever more heavily on donations rather than box-office income. Gelb sounded alarm bells in 2014 when he said that the Met could go bankrupt within a couple of years. Labor negotiations, the rising costs of producing a hugely expensive art form, and a series of bitter divisions over sexual improprieties by two of its marquee names—former music director James Levine and tenor Plácido Domingo—have all taken a toll. A decade ago, New York City Opera faced a similar but more drastic decline, which ultimately wound up shuttering the company. In recent years, it’s been clear that even a mammoth artistic enterprise like the Met doesn’t have a guaranteed future. “The Met has been financially mismanaged for a decade, and there was always going to be a reckoning,” said one orchestra member. “It’s plausible to me that Peter [Gelb] will use this crisis to declare bankruptcy or get out from under pension obligations. This was always my biggest fear: that the Met was going to be skating on thin ice for years and there was going to be some big shock.”
Today Only! Save 60% on unlimited access to Vulture and everything else New York
LEARN MORE »
While the company is casting this as a temporary measure, reassembling an enormous institution after nearly six months off—assuming conditions have eased even then—will not be easy. Many employees will have few options: the orchestra world is on hold everywhere, and the Met chorus is the only full-time professional ensemble in the country. But as the months drag on, some artists and backstage personnel may drift to other careers and other parts of the country. Meanwhile, the Met will draw on its old glories, offering a free live stream of a different opera every night, while the house stays dark.

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
People need to work remote so they have y’all risking your lives
I figured that much, but fuck them. Dumb asses should have had internet already. The majority of houses I've gone in are people that have minor problems. They're not installs. Such as somebody had a cable box not working in their kids room for months. Now all of a sudden they want it to work cuz the kids are home. I even went in this one person's house who seemed extremely sick. He must of had some kind of cancer because he was ball headed, and in a wheelchair with the respirator. He looked to be around 20 to 25 years old. Dude had just upgraded to 1 gig down speeds with us. Had a technician come out 2 days earlier which could have already compromised him. Then had me come out because he couldn't see gig down speeds on his ipad. I looked at his ass like... what a fool. Risking his life because he wants to see gig down speeds instead of the 50 he was getting on a raggedy ass Ipad over Wi-Fi. This is the shit Im coming across. If these numbers go crazy next few days, Spectrum can kiss my ass.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I figured that much, but fuck them. Dumb asses should have had internet already. The majority of houses I've gone in are people that have minor problems. They're not installs. Such as somebody had a cable box not working in their kids room for months. Now all of a sudden they want it to work cuz the kids are home. I even went in this one person's house who seemed extremely sick. He must of had some kind of cancer because he was ball headed. He was in a wheelchair with the respirator, and looked to be around 20 to 25 years old. He had just upgraded to 1 gig down speeds with us. Had a technician come out 2 days earlier which could have already compromised him. Then had me come out because he couldn't see gig down speeds on his ipad. I looked at his ass like... what a fool. Risking his life because he wants to see gig down speeds instead of the 50 he was getting on a raggedy ass Ipad over Wi-Fi. This is the shit Im coming across. If they numbers go crazy next few days, Spectrum can kiss my ass.

Cable companies are greedy as fuck I hate all them faggits. They fucking all y’all workers while the bosses sit in isolation giving themselves million dollar bonuses.

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
Cable companies are greedy as fuck I hate all them faggits. They fucking all y’all workers while the bosses sit in isolation giving themselves million dollar bonuses.
We only really need our plant guys to stay working. Keeping the lines, signal, nodes, fiber, hub, and headend on point. Outside only where they don't come in contact with anybody. If your stuff goes out, people can answer phones at home and try to walk you through it. If it still doesn't work after that, you just have to wait it out until we return to work. But yes these companies are greedy :smh:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
We only really need our plant guys to stay working. Keeping the lines, signal, nodes, fiber, hub, and headend on point. Outside only where they don't come in contact with anybody. If your stuff goes out, people can answer phones at home and try to walk you through it. If it still doesn't work after that, you just have to wait it out until we return to work. But yes these companies are greedy :smh:

One of my people used to work for Comcast said that was the worst job of his life

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Man, I said when this shit started that A LOT of people were going to be surprised that they been making commutes for nothing other than to appease busy body, old fools. :smh: Make the entire office suffer just because they can't stand to be home or have to 'feel busy'.

I bet all the dinos going crazy trying to figure out the technology so they can hold bullshit virtual meetings.

I refuse to work with dinosaurs. Shit, if client too slow to understand shit through emails and bugs me with wanting phone calls, I'll cut them off.

I don’t disagree and I have the same 45 minute commute each way M-F. I’m enjoying the gas savings (of course it would happen when gas is dirt cheap) but I actually enjoy my commute; I listen to podcasts; get my mind focused for the workday and then the evening; enjoy Sirus; enjoy the sights and sounds; at home I’m too comfortable to work efficiently.

As an extrovert who gets his energy from social engagement, work from home life will require a major mental adjustment. BGOL is a good fill in though.

Last edited:

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
You’re in denial, Typical I know everything bgol member I was that person too for years...I don’t really care enough anymore to keep that energy but you keep going by your circle of physician friends....and ill go by what I’m seeing real time....at a hospital.............
I'm not in denial, you are so damned scared you're mentally ill.

This is exactly the wrong response.

Casca

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
m5z68K7.jpg

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
I honestly feel the total shutdown/panic we are seeing here stateside is due to who is our current Commander in Chief.

If Obama was still in office, the response by the Government AND US citizens would be dramatically different.

Since we all know an idiot is in power, people are "realizing" we're fucked.

We may not be as bad, but I feel the incompetence of this administration, the sensationalism of the media and peoples own ignorance is causing the panic we are seeing.

89991060_1402848646567451_6895335793456316416_o.jpg

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
You once offered bgol members $1000 for my address because I made you upset...online. You want to talk about being mentally ill..bro
please...like I said you’re an Idiot

I’m done with you
No you're not.

This climate has got people anxious and riddled with fear.

Any voice of reason is responded to with anger.

You're scared, offended, illogical and angry.

I'm sitting by a pool IN FLORIDA chillin.

It's okay to be concerned.

It IS NOT okay to spread fear based on your cynicism.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Not directly yet and hopefully not at all but I do live in a tourist hotspot (New Orleans) so my eyes and ears are open but it is stressful and normal spring allergies are causing me to get worried at times.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Here is something that may not cross your mind but, times like this it is a luxury to have a family or at least someone living with you. With uncertainty, anxiety can easily creep in and affect your perspective and mental state. Watching the news and isolation can take a toll pretty quickly.

For those who are single, be safe and try to find a friend for mental support.

Last edited:

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
Here is something that may not cross your mind but, times like this it is a luxury to have a family or at least someone living with you. With uncertainty, anxiety can easily creep in and affect your perspective and mental state. Watching the news and isolation can take a toll pretty quickly.

For those who are single, be safe and try to find a friend for mental support.
Thank you. We need more positive post. There is a faggot running the other thread... posting every 10 mins the number of dead, how unprepared the country is, Italy numbers, how we are ALL fucked...blah blah blah. This shit is bad, but the way some of these dudes are reporting it is like some end of days shit. Not cool. I posted this for his ass in the other thread.

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
Ceo of Charter Spectrum just hit us with an email..

Three extra weeks of paid leave for any cvoid related reason. Still gotta go in these houses though :hmm: He goes on to say our services are essential during times of crisis. Foh :hmm:
Any unused coronavirus time will be paid out at end of year. Basically a free check and a half. But no plan to keep us technicians from entering houses and businesses, potentially catching and or spreading that shit house to house:hmm: Im troubleshooting these fool's services from the door....fuck that.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Netflix to slow down streaming so the internet doesn't break

By James Hibberd
March 19, 2020 at 12:11 PM EDT
SaveFBTweetMore
BETH DUBBER/NETFLIX
UPDATED: In what could be a harbinger of things to come in the United States, Netflix is tapping the breaks on its download speeds in Europe in order to reduce network bandwidth now that millions of people have committed to staying home.
The move is in response to European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who spoke with Netflix CEO Reed Hastings the service reducing its streaming speeds. Breton is encouraging people and companies to switch back to standard definition, instead of high definition (let alone ultra-crisp 4K) in order to keep the bandwidth pipelines flowing to all who need online access during the crisis.
"Following the discussions between Commissioner Thierry Breton and Reed Hastings -- and given the extraordinary challenges raised by the coronavirus -- Netflix has decided to begin reducing bit rates across all our streams in Europe for 30 days," Netflix said in a statement obtained by EW. "We estimate that this will reduce Netflix traffic on European networks by around 25 percent while also ensuring a good quality service for our members."
PAID CONTENT
Marketing matters from day one
We surveyed over 500 small business owners to learn what they would do differently if they could do it all over again. Discover why starting their marketing earlier was near the top of their lists.
From Mailchimp
Previously, Netflix pointed out they use "adaptive streaming" which automatically adjusts picture quality based on a network's capacity. The company has also distributed hubs of its content on servers worldwide so shows can be delivered locally and quickly rather than all steaming from one central source. In other words, Netflix has already taken steps to not be a bandwidth hog. But even with just those existing measures in place we could see streaming quality potentially reduced to standard definition (like 1990s-level picture quality) during the pandemic bandwidth crunch regardless of whether the U.S. likewise asks streamers such as Netflix to scale back.
Here in the U.S., carriers have suspended data caps to help people communicate during the outbreak, but our broadband capability is going to be heavily taxed. According to The New York Times, "internet networks are set to be strained to the hilt" with "serious consequences, not just for the performance of our broadband networks but also for student access to education and the security of corporate data and networks." The U.S. has a strong infrastructure to handle such pressure compared to many other countries, but rural areas, in particular, could experience performance issues.

“We just don’t know” how the infrastructure will fare, said Tom Wheeler, a former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission told the Times. “What is sufficient bandwidth for a couple of home computers for a husband and wife may not be sufficient when you add students who are going to class all day long operating from home.”

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
Netflix to slow down streaming so the internet doesn't break

By James Hibberd
March 19, 2020 at 12:11 PM EDT
SaveFBTweetMore
BETH DUBBER/NETFLIX
UPDATED: In what could be a harbinger of things to come in the United States, Netflix is tapping the breaks on its download speeds in Europe in order to reduce network bandwidth now that millions of people have committed to staying home.
The move is in response to European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who spoke with Netflix CEO Reed Hastings the service reducing its streaming speeds. Breton is encouraging people and companies to switch back to standard definition, instead of high definition (let alone ultra-crisp 4K) in order to keep the bandwidth pipelines flowing to all who need online access during the crisis.
"Following the discussions between Commissioner Thierry Breton and Reed Hastings -- and given the extraordinary challenges raised by the coronavirus -- Netflix has decided to begin reducing bit rates across all our streams in Europe for 30 days," Netflix said in a statement obtained by EW. "We estimate that this will reduce Netflix traffic on European networks by around 25 percent while also ensuring a good quality service for our members."
PAID CONTENT
Marketing matters from day one
We surveyed over 500 small business owners to learn what they would do differently if they could do it all over again. Discover why starting their marketing earlier was near the top of their lists.
From Mailchimp
Previously, Netflix pointed out they use "adaptive streaming" which automatically adjusts picture quality based on a network's capacity. The company has also distributed hubs of its content on servers worldwide so shows can be delivered locally and quickly rather than all steaming from one central source. In other words, Netflix has already taken steps to not be a bandwidth hog. But even with just those existing measures in place we could see streaming quality potentially reduced to standard definition (like 1990s-level picture quality) during the pandemic bandwidth crunch regardless of whether the U.S. likewise asks streamers such as Netflix to scale back.
Here in the U.S., carriers have suspended data caps to help people communicate during the outbreak, but our broadband capability is going to be heavily taxed. According to The New York Times, "internet networks are set to be strained to the hilt" with "serious consequences, not just for the performance of our broadband networks but also for student access to education and the security of corporate data and networks." The U.S. has a strong infrastructure to handle such pressure compared to many other countries, but rural areas, in particular, could experience performance issues.

“We just don’t know” how the infrastructure will fare, said Tom Wheeler, a former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission told the Times. “What is sufficient bandwidth for a couple of home computers for a husband and wife may not be sufficient when you add students who are going to class all day long operating from home.”
I was wondering if they would do this.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of my people used to work for Comcast said that was the worst job of his life

Worst job of my life was collections and appointment setting for Home Depot. I got 2 paychecks...1 for paid training...so I actually lasted 2 weeks on the job and walked out.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
In just 24 hours, US cases soar by more thn 40%

you da man nothing to see here......ass

The problem with this is, people assume it's because of it being spread.

It's really because of testing, and how we barely have test available.

The numbers are going to continue to rise as more test come in.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Man I'm missing my gym workouts! :angry:

I got some nice equipment in my basement

but it ain't like ALL the equipment at the

gym. I pay like 25 dollars a month for the

gym... I'm wondering if gyms will be

obligated to refund us for the time that

we can not come in and workout? :dunno:

Mine is refunding for when they're closed.

I'm hitting up the work gym. Not the same....and no eye candy.

my gym is still open for now, the staff be in there cleaning everything, all day. They’ve even been posting videos on Facebook of them cleaning the gym and the members practicing #SocialDistancing.

Mine closed earlier this week, because of the governor. They tried their best with the cleaning all day. Governor laid down the hammer.

White boys don't believe in social distancing. Just the other day some dude wanted to share machines.

Are they cleaning the air or people carting the virus who don’t know it? Your gym is run by morons. If you have no symptoms you’re walking right in infecting people. No amount of cleaning will save you.

So you're not going out at all? Because you can say the same about the store. You know how many people have touched that cart or item on the shelf.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Mine is refunding for when they're closed.

I'm hitting up the work gym. Not the same....and no eye candy.

Mine closed earlier this week, because of the governor. They tried their best with the cleaning all day. Governor laid down the hammer.

White boys don't believe in social distancing. Just the other day some dude wanted to share machines.

So you're not going out at all? Because you can say the same about the store. You know how many people have touched that cart or item on the shelf.

looking for the governor to issue the non essential closure any minute now for the state. I rest on Fridays so Saturday I guess I’ll be doing a home/ outdoors workout, thats how I started anyway so it’s just back to my gym roots