Kobe's Parents at the Memorial: do you feel they were treated with respect?

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor

I don’t know if it’s true, but that’s what it looks like. Kobe scores over a thousand on sat’s, goes from high school to the pro’s, becomes a great player(better than dad), a champion, a multimillionaire. Etc...

SIDESHOW

Uncle Juice
BGOL Investor
0*a1xyQ1M0zAcDFbpg.jpg

Kobe uncle on his mama side played for the Bullets 1 year. So dude was a 2nd generation NBA player on both sides. Kobe Bean comes from a basketball lineage. ADOS.
Good genes
Yo is that his real name? Pause
@Amajorfucup

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Because it was already bigger. They were also piss poor fucking immigrant spics with no blood relation and who played zero part in raising and rearing the young man.

And whats this have to do with him freezing out his sisters?????

You niggas trying way too hard.

co signing I'll be damn to have my in laws living better than my immediate family....no matter what transpired Kobe got there reared by his parents...he learned basketball from his dad to go off and marry this girl months after meeting her then spending bread on HER family and treating his day one's as lesser was fucked up....I would have felt slighted all the way...now ppl realize why they never attended any of his ceremonies

unknownsoldier

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don’t know what the problem was between Kobe and his parents specifically. But I’ll tell you what it looks like. I believe Kobe’s dad was jealous of him. :dunno:

Nah, the story is more so that Kobe was obsessed to be better than him because Joe was considered a fuck up. They hated being overseas & resented him for allowing drugs & lifestyle force him out the league. probably felt lots of regret and wishing he was a better dad.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yet his mexican in-laws were living in mansions and driving luxury vehicles all on his dime. :lol:

Yall need to stop romanticizing this nigga and call it what it is.
Man, the stans have gotten even worse. They are about to put him on MLK Jr level soon. Acting like his parents and sisters were the blood sucking leeches when it was his wife and her family.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don’t know what the problem was between Kobe and his parents specifically. But I’ll tell you what it looks like. I believe Kobe’s dad was jealous of him. :dunno:

:confused: why would he be jealous? He never sabotaged or held him back and did all he could to put his son in a position to succeed. Out of all the top 4 sports, genetics plays the biggest role in basketball. He wouldn’t even have made it to the NBA without his father’s (and mother’s) genes and connections.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man, the stans have gotten even worse. They are about to put him on MLK Jr level soon. Acting like his parents and sisters were the blood sucking leeches when it was his wife and her family.
Yes. The rewriting of history has begun. Sad display of personal ethics, elder respect and family values all up and down this wack ass thread.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah, the story is more so that Kobe was obsessed to be better than him because Joe was considered a fuck up. They hated being overseas & resented him for allowing drugs & lifestyle force him out the league. probably felt lots of regret and wishing he was a better dad.
Nah, he was obsessed with luciferianism and being a serpent which is why this thread (and the other one stickied) exists.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes. The rewriting of history has begun. Sad display of personal ethics, elder respect and family values all up and down this wack ass thread.

People grow and change but i was around to see how things were during his playing days.

no need to disrespect his blood family because his wife cut them out to have more money for herself and her own. Did the chick even shed any real tears at the memorial?

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered

Didn’t you get pissed when Gayle asked the question?

Last edited:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doubt it or he would’ve never been an NBA player.
Shit I’m talking about when the millions cAme. When the millions came and when Vanessa came in the picture how did they treat him? Who was trying to sell his high school memorabilia?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
78b09cd2-kobe-bryant-ltmys-social-card.jpg

Dear 17-year-old self,
When your Laker dream comes true tomorrow, you need to figure out a way to invest in the future of your family and friends. This sounds simple, and you may think it’s a no-brainer, but take some time to think on it further.
I said INVEST.
I did not say GIVE.
Let me explain.
Purely giving material things to your siblings and friends may appear to be the right decision. You love them, and they were always there for you growing up, so it’s only right that they should share in your success and all that comes with it. So you buy them a car, a big house, pay all of their bills. You want them to live a beautiful, comfortable life, right?
But the day will come when you realize that as much as you believed you were doing the right thing, you were actually holding them back.
You will come to understand that you were taking care of them because it made YOU feel good, it made YOU happy to see them smiling and without a care in the world — and that was extremely selfish of you. While you were feeling satisfied with yourself, you were slowly eating away at their own dreams and ambitions. You were adding material things to their lives, but subtracting the most precious gifts of all: independence and growth.
Understand that you are about to be the leader of the family, and this involves making tough choices, even if your siblings and friends do not understand them at the time.
Invest in their future, don’t just give.
Use your success, wealth and influence to put them in the best position to realize their own dreams and find their true purpose. Put them through school, set them up with job interviews and help them become leaders in their own right. Hold them to the same level of hard work and dedication that it took for you to get to where you are now, and where you will eventually go.
Advertisement

I’m writing you now so that you can begin this process immediately, and so that you don’t have to deal with the hurt and struggle of weaning them off of the addiction that you facilitated. That addiction only leads to anger, resentment and jealousy from everybody involved, including yourself.
As time goes on, you will see them grow independently and have their own ambitions and their own lives, and your relationship with all of them will be much better as a result.
There’s plenty more I could write to you, but at 17, I know you don’t have the attention span to sit through 2,000 words.
The next time I write to you, I may touch on the challenges of mixing blood with business. The most important advice I can give to you is to make sure your parents remain PARENTS and not managers.
Before you sign that first contract, figure out the right budget for your parents — one that will allow them to live beautifully while also growing your business and setting people up for long-term success. That way, your children’s kids and their kids will be able to invest in their own futures when the time comes.
Your life is about to change, and things are about to come at you very fast. But just let this sink in a bit when you lay down at night after another nine-hour training day.
Trust me, setting things up right from the beginning will avoid a ton of tears and heartache, some of which remains to this day.
Much love,
Kobe

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kobe-bryant-letter-to-my-younger-self

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yet his mexican in-laws were living in mansions and driving luxury vehicles all on his dime. :lol:

Yall need to stop romanticizing this nigga and call it what it is.

I have actually read about Kobe's mom selling his memorabilia.
I have actually read where Kobe wrote about offering to buy his parents a home, but it wasn't good enough.
I have actually read about Kobe's parents refusing to attend their son's marriage.
I have not read that his in-laws were living in mansions and driving luxury cars...I am not saying they weren't; but I am not privy to that.
Please drop the link so I can read that as well so I know both sides of the argument.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have actually read where Kobe wrote about offering to buy his parents a home, but it wasn't good enough.
I have actually read about Kobe's parents refusing to attend their son's marriage.
I have not read that his in-laws were living in mansions and driving luxury cars...I am not saying they weren't; but I am not privy to that.
Please drop the link so I can read that as well so I know both sides of the argument.

I found this that gives a good synopsis of their history.

Vanessa Bryant’s Mother Sofia Laine Is Her Supportive Rock – Heavy.com
After nearly 13 years of marriage, Vanessa’s mother and stepfather split. It was a tumultuous time in Vanessa’s life as Kobe was going through his very public rape trial in 2003. Sofia Laine continued to have her daughter’s back. She told reporters “We keep to ourselves, and those who want to talk can talk,” said Sofia Urbieta Laine. “The people who say negative things, God will take care of them.”
When Vanessa and Kobe were headed toward divorce in 2011, her ex-stepfather had some choice words for his now-estranged stepdaughter. Laine told TMZ, “Her mother taught her well to wait for the 10-year mark [before divorcing]. In California, it’s considered a long term marriage and then she gets paid for life or until she remarries… just like her mother is doing to me. I have to pay her mom $1,800 every month and clearly, they don’t need it” – referring to how rich Vanessa and her mother would be if the divorce with Kobe proceeded.
Laine, who has since started a new family said, “I have a six-year-old daughter and that money could be used toward her college fund or something… you’d think she’d care… but no, she’s spiteful.”
Sofia Laine Delivered Major Family Support During Kobe’s Last NBA Game

While Pam and Joe Bryant were not invited to see Bryant’s final NBA game, his mother-in-law was not only in attendance, her son-in-law enveloped her in a huge emotional hug afterward. Sitting alongside Vanessa, and their two children at the time, Natalia and Gianna, Sofia looked on with pride as Kobe ended his historic career with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Sofia is also a grandmother to Vanessa and Kobe’s youngest daughters, Bianka, 3, and Capri, who’s 7 months.
Sofia Laine Attended Kobe’s Jersey Number Retirement Ceremony While Kobe’s Parents Were Not Invited

The Lakers retired both of Black Mamba’s career numbers, 8 and 24, in December 2017. Kobe attended with his wife Vanessa and daughters Natalia, Gianna and Bianka. While noticeably absent were Kobe’s mother and father, his mother-in-law, Sofia, was there to cheer him on while holding her grandbaby Bianka courtside.
During Kobe’s emotional speech, he did not mention or thank either Pam or Joe Bryant. The former NBA star thanked his wife, whom he called “an inspiration,” and the Hall of Famers who came before him.
Pam and Joe Bryant were still estranged from their son following a dispute in 2013 when they tried to sell nearly $500K worth of Kobe’s memorabilia behind his back. In 2016, Kobe said in an ESPN interview, “Our relationship is s***. I say [to them], ‘I’m going to buy you a very nice home,’ and the response is ‘That’s not good enough’? Then you’re selling my s***?”
Sources told TMZ at the time that Pamela felt Kobe was giving more to his mother-in-law. Kobe had Sofia living in a $3.2 million house in Newport. After the home was sold, he reportedly moved her to another multi-million dollar mansion nearby.
After Bryant sued Goldin Auctions, the brokerage company Joe and Pam used, they came to an agreement a week before his case was set to go to trial in New Jersey. However, the icy relationship between Kobe and his parents continued on.
Sofia Was The Only Grandparent At The Bryant’s Family Thanksgiving Dinner

It’s bittersweet and heartbreaking to look back at the Bryant family enjoying their last Thanksgiving together as a family. In their well-decorated dining room table, all four daughters, Vanessa, Kobe, and Sofia shared their holiday meal together.
Kobe shared a few photos from the Thanksgiving holiday with the caption, “Thankful for my family.” In the first photo, Sofia is sitting right next to Gianna.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/vanessa-bryant-parents-mother-family/

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor

After nearly 13 years of marriage, Vanessa’s mother and stepfather split. It was a tumultuous time in Vanessa’s life as Kobe was going through his very public rape trial in 2003. Sofia Laine continued to have her daughter’s back. She told reporters “We keep to ourselves, and those who want to talk can talk,” said Sofia Urbieta Laine. “The people who say negative things, God will take care of them.”
When Vanessa and Kobe were headed toward divorce in 2011, her ex-stepfather had some choice words for his now-estranged stepdaughter. Laine told TMZ, “Her mother taught her well to wait for the 10-year mark [before divorcing]. In California, it’s considered a long term marriage and then she gets paid for life or until she remarries… just like her mother is doing to me. I have to pay her mom $1,800 every month and clearly, they don’t need it” – referring to how rich Vanessa and her mother would be if the divorce with Kobe proceeded.
Laine, who has since started a new family said, “I have a six-year-old daughter and that money could be used toward her college fund or something… you’d think she’d care… but no, she’s spiteful.”

While Pam and Joe Bryant were not invited to see Bryant’s final NBA game, his mother-in-law was not only in attendance, her son-in-law enveloped her in a huge emotional hug afterward. Sitting alongside Vanessa, and their two children at the time, Natalia and Gianna, Sofia looked on with pride as Kobe ended his historic career with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Sofia is also a grandmother to Vanessa and Kobe’s youngest daughters, Bianka, 3, and Capri, who’s 7 months.
Sofia Laine Attended Kobe’s Jersey Number Retirement Ceremony While Kobe’s Parents Were Not Invited

The Lakers retired both of Black Mamba’s career numbers, 8 and 24, in December 2017. Kobe attended with his wife Vanessa and daughters Natalia, Gianna and Bianka. While noticeably absent were Kobe’s mother and father, his mother-in-law, Sofia, was there to cheer him on while holding her grandbaby Bianka courtside.
During Kobe’s emotional speech, he did not mention or thank either Pam or Joe Bryant. The former NBA star thanked his wife, whom he called “an inspiration,” and the Hall of Famers who came before him.
Pam and Joe Bryant were still estranged from their son following a dispute in 2013 when they tried to sell nearly $500K worth of Kobe’s memorabilia behind his back. In 2016, Kobe said in an ESPN interview, “Our relationship is s***. I say [to them], ‘I’m going to buy you a very nice home,’ and the response is ‘That’s not good enough’? Then you’re selling my s***?”
Sources told TMZ at the time that Pamela felt Kobe was giving more to his mother-in-law. Kobe had Sofia living in a $3.2 million house in Newport. After the home was sold, he reportedly moved her to another multi-million dollar mansion nearby.
After Bryant sued Goldin Auctions, the brokerage company Joe and Pam used, they came to an agreement a week before his case was set to go to trial in New Jersey. However, the icy relationship between Kobe and his parents continued on.

It’s bittersweet and heartbreaking to look back at the Bryant family enjoying their last Thanksgiving together as a family. In their well-decorated dining room table, all four daughters, Vanessa, Kobe, and Sofia shared their holiday meal together.
Kobe shared a few photos from the Thanksgiving holiday with the caption, “Thankful for my family.” In the first photo, Sofia is sitting right next to Gianna.

None of us can or really should state with any fact what was the 2020 relationship between ANY of these people! Definitively praising or criticizing a dead man's personal choices solely for Social Media shits and giggles seems borderline ghoulish. You *DO* realize that the main person quoted in your "good synopsis" (besides anonymous sources) was an angry ex-step father who also got cut off from the "gravy train" - of course he is going paint the same mother-in-law he fell out of love with and got divorced from in the most negative light possible!

Also note that Newport Beach, California has literally the most expensive housing market in America - higher on average than Beverly Hills or midtown Manhattan or Silicon Valley or Honolulu. "Multi-million dollar mansion" may sound like a lot to those pocket watching BGOL accountants who ain't never had REAL shit (and probably ain't never gonna have REAL shit), but in context even ten years ago that money in that town could only afford someone a just above the median home value property:

At the top of the most expensive list: Newport Beach, Calif., which was the costliest place to buy a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home for the second year in a row, according to the report of 2,300 markets in North America. The report considers the average home listing price of four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes listed on ColdwellBanker.com. The homes were listed on the site between September 2010 and March 2011. The average U.S. home that fit this criteria listed at about $293,000. The average listing price in Newport Beach: $2.5 million.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Because it was already bigger. They were also piss poor fucking immigrant spics with no blood relation and who played zero part in raising and rearing the young man.

And whats this have to do with him freezing out his sisters?????

You niggas trying way too hard.

Kobe was a fucking simp, he let Vanessa get him to cut his family off then her family came in as surrogates.

Seem familiar?

parasite_poster.jpeg

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
None of us can or really should state with any fact what was the 2020 relationship between ANY of these people! Definitively praising or criticizing a dead man's personal choices solely for Social Media shits and giggles seems borderline ghoulish. You *DO* realize that the main person quoted in your "good synopsis" (besides anonymous sources) was an angry ex-step father who also got cut off from the "gravy train" - of course he is going paint the same mother-in-law he fell out of love with and got divorced from in the most negative light possible!

Also note that Newport Beach, California has literally the most expensive housing market in America - higher on average than Beverly Hills or midtown Manhattan or Silicon Valley or Honolulu. "Multi-million dollar mansion" may sound like a lot to those pocket watching BGOL accountants who ain't never had REAL shit (and probably ain't never gonna have REAL shit), but in context even ten years ago that money in that town could only afford someone a just above the median home value property:

The “Good Synopsis” was in the basic structure of issues. Mother in-law had a multimillion dollar house. Regardless whether it was in Newport Beach or the moon, it was a multimillion dollar home.

Kobe’s parents weren’t invited to many events in Kobe’s life and the article stated that. That’s the “Synopsis” that I was speaking of.

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
quoting you again only because I want to make sure you see this key quote from the article.

In hindsight, the breakup seems inevitable. In Kobe's mind, he would never accept disappointment on the court like his father did. He couldn't. Not if he wanted to be a legend.

Damn that's tough. I understood his mindset but it wasn't like Joe was in the best position to strive. You don't take the ball out of Dr J hands in his prime

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Glad you read all that about the parents. Still doesn't excuse his actions. Also, I was talking about his siblings. Tell us what you read about them. Justify that fuckery as well. :lol:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Glad you read all that about the parents. Still doesn't excuse his actions. Also, I was talking about his siblings. Tell us what you read about them. Justify that fuckery as well. :lol:

Sounds like the sister were “Collateral Damage!

200.gif

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Here is what I read, in his own words:

"Purely giving material things to your siblings and friends may appear to be the right decision. You love them, and they were always there for you growing up, so it’s only right that they should share in your success and all that comes with it. So you buy them a car, a big house, pay all of their bills. You want them to live a beautiful, comfortable life, right?

But the day will come when you realize that as much as you believed you were doing the right thing, you were actually holding them back.

You will come to understand that you were taking care of them because it made YOU feel good, it made YOU happy to see them smiling and without a care in the world — and that was extremely selfish of you. While you were feeling satisfied with yourself, you were slowly eating away at their own dreams and ambitions. You were adding material things to their lives, but subtracting the most precious gifts of all: independence and growth.

Use your success, wealth and influence to put them in the best position to realize their own dreams and find their true purpose. Put them through school, set them up with job interviews and help them become leaders in their own right. "

You disagree with this thinking?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Here is what I read, in his own words:

"Purely giving material things to your siblings and friends may appear to be the right decision. You love them, and they were always there for you growing up, so it’s only right that they should share in your success and all that comes with it. So you buy them a car, a big house, pay all of their bills. You want them to live a beautiful, comfortable life, right?

Use your success, wealth and influence to put them in the best position to realize their own dreams and find their true purpose. Put them through school, set them up with job interviews and help them become leaders in their own right. "

You disagree with this thinking?
Why wasnt he consistent with this mindset as it pertained to his in-laws then?

Just looks like some of you guys are going out of your way to justify and rationalize questionable behaviors and blatant character flaws.

Cut off his parents= They deserved it

Cut off his sisters= He was teaching them a lesson

Cut off his friends from high school= So what

Financed millionaire lifestyle of unemployed in laws= *crickets

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bruh,

If true, why were they at the memorial?
Why wouldn’t they be? Why was Kanye and Kim at the funeral? At the end of the day it’s their son. I can’t imagine enough hate in this world for where you wouldn’t even show up for your son and your granddaughters memorial. Them showing up means nothing. Like I said above I’m not assuming anything. When people die everyone wants to be a damn detective. I’m not gonna do it. Only people that know what’s up is that family. Anyone else offering information is just internet gossip.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This right here.

They had a terrible falling out/the family is fractured....and we will never know the full details. Period.
Right. I hate this how we act when someone dies. Gotta get to the bottom of shit. That chapter is closed. At the end of the day Vanessa is mourning her child and husband his Joe and his family are mourning a son/father as well as a grandchild.

dagoon121

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Was this meant to be funny? Not sure how to take this comment.
I don’t know why ya took it offensive. I’m saying she made off as far as her and Kobe vs the parents. She got the money which is what Kobe mostly would of wanted. Worst things had happened to ppl. She made off clean. I remember when she was painted as a bad person. She seem like a beautiful soul ‍♂️

shamone

Rising Star
OG Investor
Kobe was a fucking simp, he let Vanessa get him to cut his family off then her family came in as surrogates.

Seem familiar?

parasite_poster.jpeg
nobody knows what went on btw kobe and his parents. correct me if i'm wrong but they didn't go to his wedding. no ones what went on and i have no real comment on it.