Official Boxing Thread

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Frank Warren is claiming the winner of the Dubois vs Joyce fight will be a mandatory for 1 of the belts. AJ vs Dubois would be a very interesting fight if it happens. High stakes with the huge rivalry between Hearn and Warren too.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
This was explosive, John Fury is so intense and entertaining, add that with good talkers in Paulie, Haye and steve bunce, this been the best piece for this build up thus far. Haye is picking Wilder, the rest picking Fury.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Ryan Garcia would be favored vs Farmer, probably 50/50 vs tank and underdog vs Haney. Ryan Garcia will easily be the biggest American star in boxing he continues to win. He’d be a fool to fight Haney and take a L on his record, Oscar will do careful matchmaking for him. What oscar should be doing now is make ryan learn to speak spanish, it will widen his fanbase even more

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ryan Garcia would be favored vs Farmer, probably 50/50 vs tank and underdog vs Haney. Ryan Garcia will easily be the biggest American star in boxing he continues to win. He’d be a fool to fight Haney and take a L on his record, Oscar will do careful matchmaking for him. What oscar should be doing now is make ryan learn to speak spanish, it will widen his fanbase even more
This approach is why boxing is in the sad state that it’s in today. Do you realize that Thomas Hearns was 21 years old when he fought Ray Leonard who was 24 or barely 25? And also Leonard had already fought Roberto Duran and Wilfred Benitez before that.

Roy Jones and James Toney fought in their early 20s. Mayweather and Corrales fought in their early 20s. Oscar, Trinidad, Vargas and the list goes on ALL had fights in their early 20s against dangerous opposition. So why are these new guys not fighting?

They were were the same age as these guys are now. And whoever lost still had great careers and made good money. Just because they had a loss or two on their records didn’t define them.

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This approach is why boxing is in the sad state that it’s in today. Do you realize that Thomas Hearns was 21 years old when he fought Ray Leonard who was 24 or barely 25? And also Leonard had already fought Roberto Duran and Wilfred Benitez before that.

Roy Jones and James Toney fought in their early 20s. Mayweather and Corrales fought in their early 20s. Oscar, Trinidad, Vargas and the list goes on ALL had fights in their early 20s against dangerous opposition. So why are these new guys not fighting?

They were were the same age as these guys are now. And whoever lost still had great careers and made good money. Just because they had a loss or two on their records didn’t define them.
They call it The Mayweather Effect: all these youngins afraid of letting go of that 0 in search of that mega payday later on down the line.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor

With the exceptions of Money, Corrales & El Feroz, they met their "equal" later than those ages you listed. I know for a fact because Leonard is the same age as my mom.

Hearns was 23 and Leonard was 25 when they fought. Jones was 25 and Toney was 26 when they fought. DLH & Tito were both 26 when they fought.

Haney & Garcia are only 21. I guarantee they'll fight before they're 23. That's if DLH doesn't keep Garcia away from him. Haney is a big 135lber. Look how much taller he is than Mikey Garcia.

=====

"Tan-Tan, Tank Davis is a star." BlackFightFan kills me with that shit when he imitates Ellerbe.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
With the exceptions of Money, Corrales & El Feroz, they met their "equal" later than those ages you listed. I know for a fact because Leonard is the same age as my mom.

Hearns was 23 and Leonard was 25 when they fought. Jones was 25 and Toney was 26 when they fought. DLH & Tito were both 26 when they fought.

Haney & Garcia are only 21. I guarantee they'll fight before they're 23. That's if DLH doesn't keep Garcia away from him. Haney is a big 135lber. Look how much taller he is than Mikey Garcia.

=====

"Tan-Tan, Tank Davis is a star." BlackFightFan kills me with that shit when he imitates Ellerbe.

I just checked, Hearns was 22 when he fought Leonard in 1981.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
I was speaking from the pov of if I was Ryan's management team from a business perspective if the long term goal is to get to a billion dollars in gross career earnings. Ryan's current plan sounds good in fighting Linares in the summer, then Luke Campbell late 2020 or early 2021, and then depending on where Tank is at 2021 a potential big PPV vs Tank. Ryan would only be 22 yrs old in 2021 and Tank would be 26 yrs old, Ryan would bring in the YouTube and social media influencer demographic, Tank the black hollywood/hip hop demographic. Haney just doesn't make any sense if i'm advising Ryan, Tank would be a much better big opponent as he's less of a risk being that Ryan would have 5 inch height and 3.5 inch reach advantage to keep him on the outside on top of Tank's highly suspect gas tank if he can't hurt his opponent early.

Oscar sees Ryan potentially being the same top draw like he once was as the golden boy, he already has a sizable fan base, is tall enough to move up to 147 at least and probably 154, maybe even 160 towards the end of his career. Oscar had over $500 mil in career purse earnings and you adjust to this current climate, Ryan can actually be the next boxer to hit the $1 billion after Floyd did. Ryan can literally be the new Oscar without the cross dressing pics around the net

Last edited: