MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Anthony Bourdain Made Marginalized Communities Like Mine Feel
1528489683170-eater-bourdain-WV.jpeg
Worthy

Jelisa Castrodale

JUN 8 2018, 4:45PM

As a native West Virginian, I never thought I'd see my home state represented with respect and fairness—until Bourdain showed up.
  • as men in Malawi. In the past few years, it has developed a heartbreaking kind of name recognition, becoming almost synonymous with words like ‘opioid’ and ‘overdose’ and ‘despair.’

In the months before the 2016 presidential election, journalists from seemingly everywhere landed in Welch, so they could film hours of B-roll of sagging roofs or rusted shopping carts overturned in the Tug Fork river, and interview would-be Donald Trump voters with accents that were often subtitled on even American television stations. “Why do those people stay there?” network anchors and newspaper columnists and armchair sociologists implied—or just asked outright.

ADVERTISEMENT
    And then, Anthony Bourdain decided to go to West Virginia, and let West Virginians answer that question for themselves.

Bourdain died on Friday at age 61, and his passing has been marked with shock, disbelief, and deep sadness across America, as well as in the countless cities and countries that he visited during 15-plus years of traveling for the Food Network, the Travel Channel, and CNN. But it seems to especially resonate with this West Virginian, and for others around the state who appreciated his attempts to connect with a group of people that others have criticized, ridiculed, or flat-out exploited.

Ironically, it was some of that endless “poverty tourism” that contributed to Bourdain’s interest in filming an episode of Parts Unknown in West Virginia. “It doesn’t seem to be in anybody’s interest outside of the state to portray West Virginia as it is,” he told the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. “The coverage has been ignorant, condescending, and hateful.”

But he also realized his own preconceptions—and that’s one of the many things that made him a compelling storyteller, and an always-reliable narrator. “I’m comfortable in places that are different, so, I didn’t admire the intolerance, the sort of resistance in myself, to this place in my own country,” he continued. “How come I’m so comfortable in Vietnam and Lebanon but instinctively, like so many other New Yorkers, see West Virginia as a whole other land?”

So Bourdain went to West Virginia—he went to Welch, too—and that trip served as the premiere for Season 11 of Parts Unknown. In his Field Notes, he called the episode a “plea for understanding” for the state’s residents and their “daunting challenges,” urging his audience to treat it with the same compassion that they’ve treated episodes set in Vietnam and Nigeria. (And it’s kind of mindblowing to imagine putting that disclaimer on any other part of America.)

That episode illustrated so much of what made Bourdain such a wonderful host, tour guide, and dinner guest: his willingness to ask and listen in equal measure and his willingness to respect the person, even if you’re diametrically opposed to some of their opinions. But every episode was essentially his 30-minute reminder that the things that we fear, hate, or ridicule are almost always the ones we’ve never taken the time to understand.

“People of southern West Virginia feel for the first time someone from the outside media came in and told a story they were proud of,” chef Mike Costello said on Friday morning. “When someone comes here with the goal of being open-minded and learning about a place, it shows how encouraged and empowered people can be when they’re able to tell their own story.” (Costello’s Lost Creek Farm was featured in the episode).

ADVERTISEMENT
    Shortly after Bourdain finished filming, someone tweeted to him to ask what he recommended as an “absolute must-do” for any visitor to West Virginia. “Forget where you came from,” he wrote. “Open your mind.”

On behalf of West Virginians, thank you for that.

Thank you for everything.

Turri

Support BGOL
Registered
RIP.

Took me living long enough to see how much I didn't know about life.

When I was younger I was so quick to judge, spitting out callus comments that only showed my immaturity. Burying so many loved ones bearing scars seen and unseen. Eveyone won't die the same way but we all will die.

Learning to accept emotional support has been a blessing for me.

Wish all you brothers and sisters support , strength and love in your rough waters.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Slight disconnect between us.

I'm strictly speaking on one sub section not the cause and effect of mental illness overall.
There is no cause it happens nobody wants it it just is
I was just adding that it seems to be predisposed to the group of ppl we talking about because of other illness actions they're taking that isn't classified as such feel me?
If you think stropping health care is ok killing unarmed black people is ok separation of child from family is ok and shit like that
How else would you describe the minds that find that fine feel me?

I see what you're saying. And it certainly seems that their sickness is endemic of their race, after all, the shit they did to each other was equally heinous before they turned their attention to us. And I certainly do not endorse any of the things you mention. But the sickness IS real, wherever it comes from. It hurts my heart when my people suffer from it whether firsthand or incidentally.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I see what you're saying. And it certainly seems that their sickness is endemic of their race, after all, the shit they did to each other was equally heinous before they turned their attention to us. And I certainly do not endorse any of the things you mention. But the sickness IS real, wherever it comes from. It hurts my heart when my people suffer from it whether firsthand or incidentally.

It's real no matter who experiences it
But also
Think of the vastly different conditions we're under while suffering
And also look at the way they've made it so we feel ashamed to suffer in the first place

Bonafide Brethren

Star
BGOL Investor
Heard the news this morning and even at the end of the day still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. The man used food "breaking bread" to connect, to share, and to encourage us to travel and experience new and/or unfamiliar places. It was way more than the food...it was the people. The depth at which he shared people's cultures is what kept many of us tuning in week after week. If he was organizing tour guides to the places he had gone or was going, he would have had many lining up. Incredible loss and I never met the man. But sure feels like it. He left an indelible mark on many around the world.

RIP

FLoss

“You better learn to work with the illegals nigga”
BGOL Investor
RIP. I been fuckin with Tony since he was on Food Network. Shit makes no sense.

His last tweet

Now that I think about it, that Hong Kong show had a really strange vibe to it.
He even did an interview with AC about the episode before it aired. Saying shit like this was the show that he had
always dreamed about because a couple of his heroes was doing the production.
The interview was kind of offsetting too. Weird shit.

rtqlat

Paying Lurker
BGOL Investor
I worked at his restaurant early in my culinary career. He was just starting on the Food Network. Was never around. But when he was... always a straight dude. I was interning with his butcher Pierre in the basement. He can down and kicked it. Showed me how to butcher pigs and lamb. With wit and caring. He will be missed.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Damn. I liked this dude and his programs a lot.... never a big food show guy but one of my exes lent me Kitchen Confidential and I fucking loved it. The episodes of his shows that I watched were uniformly entertaining, eye opening and world expanding. He seemed like a genuinely good dude. Fuck... go ahead and call one of your ppl tonight. Reach out. Folks are hurting out here silently watching social media highlight reels and shit. This is a good reminder to me that I need to be a better friend.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
fuck

fuck

fuck

Dude actually cared for the people and cultures he visited. and was able to expertly articulate that. you dont find people with heart like that anymore. but his demons...damn...

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
fuck

fuck

fuck

Dude actually cared for the people and cultures he visited. and was able to expertly articulate that. you dont find people with heart like that anymore. but his demons...damn...

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
RIP. I been fuckin with Tony since he was on Food Network. Shit makes no sense.

Now that I think about it, that Hong Kong show had a really strange vibe to it.
He even did an interview with AC about the episode before it aired. Saying shit like this was the show that he had
always dreamed about because a couple of his heroes was doing the production.
The interview was kind of offsetting too. Weird shit.

I worked at his restaurant early in my culinary career. He was just starting on the Food Network. Was never around. But when he was... always a straight dude. I was interning with his butcher Pierre in the basement. He can down and kicked it. Showed me how to butcher pigs and lamb. With wit and caring. He will be missed.

Food Network just did a brief tribute to him at the start of a commercial break..they just showed this onscreen w/ the network logo on the bottom

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
He traveled the world, he might have had heat on him like me. There are all kinds of weird shit to mentally degrade people. It is a tough lifestyle, where your every move is watched.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Thanks for your low key insult. But I don’t usually take a small minded view on life.
Here’s the thing. They have more resources available to them, better health care, they also tout the fact that they don’t come from broken homes like Blacks do, they claim to have more wealth than we he do , yet they tend to kill themselves more.
Again, look at the stats.

massa we sick syndrome

nothing could be worse than chattel slavery

yet we made it out

and we are still out here being fucked with by the same demographic

jails are filled with blacks for drugs

but white drug use deploys tax payer money without a complaint

some of us unfortunately don't understand context cause we are drunk on the white white perspectives leading to the same destination

when #liveyourbestlife can't measure up to preconceived notions of what life is about

I'll make a separate thread about anxiety and depression following white perceptions of what life is about........

mofos out here don't want to struggle AT ALL

As if life owes them shit

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Loved this NR episode when he went to Jamaica

..or as the DirecTV description said,"Anthony Bourdain travels to the Jamaica." :confused: :lol:

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tragic for him, yet telling of the demographic he represents, all at the same damn time.

When he was on the Food Network, my Dad and I bonded watching this dude!

So, is it safe to say that Black Women are the most resilient humans ok n the planet?:dunno:
Perfect example is the CDC guy that they found in a river in Atlanta. The coroner went into detail about why they ruled it suicide, including that he had a breakdown several years ago and people still won't believe it. You can be on top the world and

That is part of the imbalance however. You decide because in the end you just feel numb to life. You understand what it means, and how it will affect others but it's an out. It's more than being depressed, you just want to feel something. And as I said, no one cares when it comes to men anyways. The whole "Bathing in Men's Tears" thing isn't really all that new.
Now, how many people do you know, committed suicide, but.........washed up in the river?

Cold blooded government directed murder...he knew too much.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
While we're here rip this shitty ass motherfucking message board
With these shitty ass database errors in the year 2018
Robots are doing parkour and we can't have a stable steady connection here

western civilization says the mind but it's deeper than that

The mind is a motor that will guide you to your beliefs, whatever your beliefs are

Your consciousness creates the world you experience, crafts the stories you internalize and your reaction to your perceptions.