Those interested in learning software development (programming)

Dino Velvet

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Good seeign you Bro.

it's the one by Rob Percival.

Work is hectic these days as well but I'm trying to come home and put in 3-4 hrs every night on weeknights and go full beastmode for this holiday at 10-12hrs a day

I want to finish this shit in 2-3weeks max

:cool:

Ahhh ok cool, sounds like a plan. I'm off for holiday over the next 5 days, so I'm planning to wrap this current course up. As many hours a day I can mentally muster.

I do have that course by Rob also, but haven't started it yet. I saw it was on sale like $10 at one point like a month or so back, so I just bought it. He's a good teacher. His "Complete Web Developer" course he also on Udemy was one that helped kickstart my learning last year.

Do you find anything really difficult with Swift as of yet, regarding concepts? I'm still wrapping my head around "Optionals" and table views (mostly custom table views and trying to make them look good from their default state)

Last edited:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
No, I was wondering what kind of code you were using instead of a loop.

Damn, I wish all the cats in this thread weren't all over the place with languages. I'm doing C++ now, you on VB.net, and Kaya on Swift. Can't even throw examples at each other.

I was messing with C++ for a minute,but I got stuck on pointers and arrays,so I went to VB.net and I forgot VB.net has arrays also....On top of that I wanted to do something simple,before doing into C++ again

Hellboy said he was looking for that video about pointers...I don't know,if he found it or not..

Machete

Rising Star
Registered
I have an idea for a website. A portion of the website will involve a streaming music app, one that randomizes songs from a database. Eventually, I'd like to connect a mobile app to the database.

I've been doing my research, and I think that Ruby on Rails is a good start. Am I headed in the right direction??

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Ahhh ok cool, sounds like a plan. I'm off for holiday over the next 5 days, so I'm planning to wrap this current course up. As many hours a day I can mentally muster.

I do have that course by Rob also, but haven't started it yet. I saw it was on sale like $10 at one point like a month or so back, so I just bought it. He's a good teacher. His "Complete Web Developer" course he also on Udemy was one that helped kickstart my learning last year.

Do you find anything really difficult with Swift as of yet, regarding concepts? I'm still wrapping my head around "Optionals" and table views (mostly custom table views and trying to make them look good from their default state)

No difficulties so far.

Getting used to xcode itself but swift is way too easy to ignore.

parse on the backend and you can spin out apps every 2 weeks

most stuff i'm going to do in the short term is default layouts, don't need to spend time or money on an MVP

Once i have some traction then i could spend time or even money getting decent graphic design

Hoffman Reid said if you are not ashamed of the product you put out, it means you put it out too late.

Getting stuff out will give you data to know where to focus your energy to tweak

water

OG Investor
I have an idea for a website. A portion of the website will involve a streaming music app, one that randomizes songs from a database. Eventually, I'd like to connect a mobile app to the database.

I've been doing my research, and I think that Ruby on Rails is a good start. Am I headed in the right direction??

Go mobile first.

How many people who use streaming music use their browser?

Just something to think about.

Also there are free APIs to music streaming services

e.g spotify https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/user-guide/

Musixmatch: https://developer.musixmatch.com/

Also focus on what will make your app sticky.

There are a lot of streaming music apps, think about what would make users come back to your app.

Also get this book:

9200000035303005.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-How-Build-Habit-Forming-Products/dp/1591847788/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Good luck!

:D

Machete

Rising Star
Registered
Go mobile first.

How many people who use streaming music use their browser?

Just something to think about.

Also there are free APIs to music streaming services

e.g spotify https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/user-guide/

Musixmatch: https://developer.musixmatch.com/

Good luck!

You make a great point about going mobile.

My experience is mainly network engineering. Really new at this programming. What languages should I start with?

What is the "backend"? I'd need to pull the data from some database? Which one should I use? I've built many webservers over the past couple years, but always at the developer specs.

And, the api's for musixmatch and spotify ... do they allow for someone to create their own content? For example, if I want to upload rare / hard to find music, can I still use their services to stream?

And thanks!

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

My experience is mainly network engineering. Really new at this programming. What languages should I start with?

What is the "backend"? I'd need to pull the data from some database? Which one should I use? I've built many webservers over the past couple years, but always at the developer specs.

And, the api's for musixmatch and spotify ... do they allow for someone to create their own content? For example, if I want to upload rare / hard to find music, can I still use their services to stream?

And thanks!

If you want to do go into mobile...Swift and Java would be a good start...From what I understand Swift is easy,but Java is the same thing with probably a little learning curve

If you want to do applications then VB.net or C# is the way to go...

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I was messing with C++ for a minute,but I got stuck on pointers and arrays,so I went to VB.net and I forgot VB.net has arrays also....On top of that I wanted to do something simple,before doing into C++ again

Hellboy said he was looking for that video about pointers...I don't know,if he found it or not..

Just think of pointers like this. It's easier to write your address on a piece of paper and give it to someone than it is to make a copy of your house.

Here's something that should help you get the concept. Much easier to follow than some of the regular computer jargon in videos and books.

http://alumni.cs.ucr.edu/~pdiloren/C++_Pointers/index.htm

I understand a lot more of what's going on behind the scenes since starting C++.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

And thanks!

I guess if you're in a hurry it would be easier to create a web app linked to a database. Otherwise you'd have to do native apps for each platform.

HTML5, javascript, and css for web apps.

Native would be Swift(Apple), Java(Android), and C++, C#, or javascript with Windows.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
No difficulties so far.

Getting used to xcode itself but swift is way too easy to ignore.

parse on the backend and you can spin out apps every 2 weeks

most stuff i'm going to do in the short term is default layouts, don't need to spend time or money on an MVP

Once i have some traction then i could spend time or even money getting decent graphic design

Hoffman Reid said if you are not ashamed of the product you put out, it means you put it out too late.

Getting stuff out will give you data to know where to focus your energy to tweak

Well Damn.

water

OG Investor

And thanks!

The back end is where you data will reside.

So those APIs will allow you to use their content.

You say "hard to find music" but unless you market your app to do just that, then regular users will look up current music as well.

If it's just hard to find music, who defines what you have in your database?
What is hard to find for you may not be hard to find for another person.

In addition, if i'm looking for a "hard to find song" and search your app and didn't find it, after 3 times of that experience, I'm done with your app.
My perception would be that you don't have much.

So just some things to think about.

Music streaming also involves licensing content. That's the reason pandora doesn't allow you to skip unlimited times else they will have to pay more.

Music streaming, movie streaming are very difficult industries to get into since it involves a lot of license content etc.....

The easier route would be to come up with a service that utilizes the attributes of the music e.g.

1. genre matching your social network + concert event in those genres = concert pooling for tickets/rides etc

2. Predicting hits by looking at the top 100 hits for the last 20 years and correlating the people working on those hits, labels etc to predict the outcome of upcoming artists

3. auto sync the type/genre of music with historical data of your activity taken from the motion sensors in yoru phone. e.g. every morning at 9am i walk to work and my activity goes up so this indicates that i may want to listen to music with a larger bpm

Hope this helps

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Just think of pointers like this. It's easier to write your address on a piece of paper and give it to someone than it is to make a copy of your house.

Here's something that should help you get the concept. Much easier to follow than some of the regular computer jargon in videos and books.

I understand a lot more of what's going on behind the scenes since starting C++.

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor

:yes:
Thanks for that link. It broke down everything with pointers perfectly.

Do you guys have any links about understanding/writing algorithms?

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Udemy got a nice sale going on until July 6. Got that Swift course Kaya doing(build 15 apps including instagram and tinder clones) for only $10(regular $199). Other deals going for $10 too.

water

OG Investor
Udemy got a nice sale going on until July 6. Got that Swift course Kaya doing(build 15 apps including instagram and tinder clones) for only $10(regular $199). Other deals going for $10 too.

:yes::yes::yes:

Cranking out some shit as we speak!

:lol:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Cranking out some shit as we speak!

:lol:

The deal at Microcenter for mac mini was too good to pass up(and the udemy deal forced my hand). Finally copped a mac. Been putting this off long enough(actually since last year when someone dropped some nice mac shit on here that I still have at udemy).

Already started with Android late last year, and I've covered all the C++ I needed to know for my fucking credits. Thought it would have took longer the way the net made the language seem like a horror story.

Never really fucked with a mac, so I'm going to play around with it and get started tomorrow or Wednesday. It will be nice having this under my belt since I already been doing Java/android. :yes: Have shit in both stores. :yes:

The little box is responsive for shit specs.

water

OG Investor
The deal at Microcenter for mac mini was too good to pass up(and the udemy deal forced my hand). Finally copped a mac. Been putting this off long enough(actually since last year when someone dropped some nice mac shit on here that I still have at udemy).

Already started with Android late last year, and I've covered all the C++ I needed to know for my fucking credits. Thought it would have took longer the way the net made the language seem like a horror story.

Never really fucked with a mac, so I'm going to play around with it and get started tomorrow or Wednesday. It will be nice having this under my belt since I already been doing Java/android. :yes: Have shit in both stores. :yes:

The little box is responsive for shit specs.

congrats

Lots of dev tools already installed in there.

download:

xcode
sublime
atom

Make sure and have:
firebug (for firefox)
postman (for chrome) https://www.getpostman.com/

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Anyone messing with VB.net,because I'm stuck...

I'm trying to subtract money with each button click,but I can only do it once...Like I have four buttons($20,$40,$60,and $80) and want to click the $20 button,until it hits zero from the label that I have set up as the overall total($400.00),but I can only subtract it once...I have a feeling I have to do a loop,but don't know how to set it up...I know it's going to be simple as fuck..:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

I know,you can do it,because I saw a person on youtube do it,on a blackjack game...that's where I got the idea from

I'm going to bed,maybe the idea will come to me when I wake up..

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the tips Kaya. I'm still loading shit up. Got xcode 6.4 instead of beta(not sure how much a difference that makes, I think he is using 6.2 in the vid).

water

OG Investor
Thanks for the tips Kaya. I'm still loading shit up. Got xcode 6.4 instead of beta(not sure how much a difference that makes, I think he is using 6.2 in the vid).

Niceness.

6.4 is good to go

You will spit out at least 1 app by the end of this week

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Niceness.

6.4 is good to go

You will spit out at least 1 app by the end of this week

I hope so!!!

Why you fucking with VB?

:confused:

Even microsoft is behind xamarin

They use C# to develop cross platform apps

btw, use
while overall total != 0 do
subtract your button push
end

That's what I told him the last page. If you already know it's 0, you already know what to do. I know I don't know c#, but I thought the same logic would apply...

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Why you fucking with VB?

:confused:

Even microsoft is behind xamarin

They use C# to develop cross platform apps

btw, use
while overall total != 0 do
subtract your button push
end

I'm messing with VB because most of the programming jobs where I'm at are either Java or VB...on top of that I like VB even though most programmers don't mess with it,since C# came along...but I will definitely get into C#,since VB and C# are basically identical to each other with a slight change...it will be a smooth transition for me

I might have to push Java and working on C# in Sept....

water

OG Investor
I'm messing with VB because most of the programming jobs where I'm at are either Java or VB...on top of that I like VB even though most programmers don't mess with it,since C# came along...but I will definitely get into C#,since VB and C# are basically identical to each other with a slight change...it will be a smooth transition for me

I might have to push Java and working on C# in Sept....

with java, you could slide straight into the Hadoop ecosystem which is the future (outside of SV, it's Apache Spark here)