Those interested in learning software development (programming)

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I'm learning alot more than on youtube than I ever did at school....I'm planning to hit those Java videos around September,still messing with VB.Net..

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I'm learning alot more than on youtube than I ever did at school....I'm planning to hit those Java videos around September,still messing with VB.Net..

Shit, there are so many lectures and other vids online it's like being in school. The thing is if you don't like the teacher's style, you can just flip to another video. In school, you just stuck paying thousands for a teacher whose teaching style doesn't match your learning style.

Prodigies will excel in any environment, but most people aren't programming prodigies.

Damn, I remember years ago doing work for my CCNA and Microsoft certs and actually having to rely mostly on books and the classroom. Learning these days is much, much easier. Shit ain't even in the same fucking ballpark.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Shit, there are so many lectures and other vids online it's like being in school. The thing is if you don't like the teacher's style, you can just flip to another video. In school, you just stuck paying thousands for a teacher whose teaching style doesn't match your learning style.

Prodigies will excel in any environment, but most people aren't programming prodigies.

Damn, I remember years ago doing work for my CCNA and Microsoft certs and actually having to rely mostly on books and the classroom. Learning these days is much, much easier. Shit ain't even in the same fucking ballpark.

I wish I've known about all this stuff on youtube,I wouldn't had struggle so much in school..:smh::smh::smh:

You still want that Java I downloaded,because I'm going to try to reup it tomorrow,so others can get it...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

^^^^^

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I wish I've known about all this stuff on youtube,I wouldn't had struggle so much in school..:smh::smh::smh:

You still want that Java I downloaded,because I'm going to try to reup it tomorrow,so others can get it...

Times are fucking crazy. Shit drops and their are classes and tutorials all over the net within days. Remember Swift last year? We live in amazing times.

Yeah man, I can never have enough Java stuff.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Times are fucking crazy. Shit drops and their are classes and tutorials all over the net within days. Remember Swift last year? We live in amazing times.

Yeah man, I can never have enough Java stuff.

I just read an article about what programming languages to know in 2015 and Swift was one them....It seems like Java is always in the top 5,when it comes to languages to know.

Basic Java

https://mega.co.nz/#!TEUhxL7R!-muL6mxHX2TUHF1aOyInxAiEYdxgN9De8a0FKK00Nrs

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Keep it up folks!!

I thinking about starting a thread about setting up you own home server and website using Linux.

I think more people should get involved with Linux.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Keep it up folks!!

I thinking about starting a thread about setting up you own home server and website using Linux.

Yes, true.

More people should get involved in creating tech startups on the whole.

I see too many people out here with no tech skills getting funding by executing on an idea and outsourcing the software to contractors via odesk etc....

Going through a programming course will get you the basics so that you don't get ripped off by a contract programmer or if you prefer, actually build something that is a great product.

The end goal shouldn't be to just get a job.

You get a job, save some money, contract out the software dev and work with the programmer, launch your startup, build traction, raise funding.

:cool:

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yes, true.

I see too many people out here with no tech skills getting funding by executing on an idea and outsourcing the software to contractors via odesk etc....

Going through a programming course will get you the basics so that you don't get ripped off by a contract programmer or if you prefer, actually build something that is a great product.

You get a job, save some money, contract out the software dev and work with the programmer, launch your startup, build traction, raise funding.

Yessir.

Plus, a lot of folks doesn't realize that just about all mobile OS are unix based. Eventually windows is going to conform. You can't beat open source products. I built me a $530 webserver hosting on opensuse 13.2. Now I can run my websites straight from home without having to worry about hosting charges. I'm even thinking out a mini cloud system where I could charge for data storage.

Pushing people to the uncomfortable stage of programming is tough. Especially when I introduce them to Linux. Windows and apple have made it very simple for basic users.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Keep it up folks!!

It was required to take a Linux class for programming students...that shit was foreign to me..:lol::lol::lol:

I do want to learn it again,since I want to have my software to be on all platforms....
Yes, true.

I'm planning to do this......:yes::yes::yes::yes:

water

OG Investor
It was required to take a Linux class for programming students...that shit was foreign to me..:lol::lol::lol:

I do want to learn it again,since I want to have my software to be on all platforms....

I'm planning to do this......:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Am doing an online course on SWIFT programming for iphone on udemy.com

So far shit is a lot of drag and drop.... super easy.

After 30 mins I have a cat app that tells you the age when you input the year :lol:

Hoping to knock out 10 hrs tomorrow and complete the entire course in 1 to 2 weeks.

You build 15 apps but the time you are done.

It includes hooking up your app to parse.com (fb acquired them) and you can do fb auth login very easily.

I contracted out 2 apps and decided that i'm going to build since this swift shit makes things super easy.

If anyone wants to join in the same course and we bounce ideas etc let me know

:D

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

After 30 mins I have a cat app that tells you the age when you input the year :lol:

Hoping to knock out 10 hrs tomorrow and complete the entire course in 1 to 2 weeks.

It includes hooking up your app to parse.com (fb acquired them) and you can do fb auth login very easily.

I contracted out 2 apps and decided that i'm going to build since this swift shit makes things super easy.

I've been doing VB.net all week...I think I only went in my sketchbook only for 10 minutes total and then went back to programming

I'm hoping to get into the database side in August and then in Sept start doing some Java lessons

It's quite fun thinking up some ideas for a program and trying to make it work,even though sometimes it will piss you off...I'm planning to do a Poker and Blackjack game real soon and maybe get some feedback it....

Sometimes,when I look at a video on youtube the person will have a download link with the code in it and I will look at it to see how they did it...I wish people would comment in their code though,because I get confused sometimes...

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I will upload the last Java tutorial tomorrow morning,its going to be another big file,so don't expect me to break the file up....

water

OG Investor
I'm hoping to get into the database side in August and then in Sept start doing some Java lessons

Hadoop is the future (Apache Spark on top as well).

go to hortonworks dot com and download the sandbox that contains a single node hadoop cluster.

You can play around with it etc....

It uses Pig to format data and Hive to write queries.

With hadoop training under your belt you can start at $150K

see: http://www.indeed.com/q-Hadoop-Developer-$160,000-jobs.html

:yes::yes::yes:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I've been doing VB.net all week...I think I only went in my sketchbook only for 10 minutes total and then went back to programming

It's quite fun thinking up some ideas for a program and trying to make it work,even though sometimes it will piss you off...I'm planning to do a Poker and Blackjack game real soon and maybe get some feedback it....

Sometimes,when I look at a video on youtube the person will have a download link with the code in it and I will look at it to see how they did it...I wish people would comment in their code though,because I get confused sometimes...

If there is a hell, there is a special corner in the deepest, darkest, and hottest spot for people who don't comment their code.

Even going back to look at your own shit is hard if you don't make proper use of comments.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If there is a hell, there is a special corner in the deepest, darkest, and hottest spot for people who don't comment their code.

Even going back to look at your own shit is hard if you don't make proper use of comments.

MOTHERFUNKIN GOSPEL!

Comment your shit

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Hadoop is the future (Apache Spark on top as well).

go to hortonworks dot com and download the sandbox that contains a single node hadoop cluster.

You can play around with it etc....

It uses Pig to format data and Hive to write queries.

With hadoop training under your belt you can start at $150K

see: http://www.indeed.com/q-Hadoop-Developer-$160,000-jobs.html

:yes::yes::yes:

I heard great things about Hadoop,I might have to check it out,after I relearn SQL Server and Access....

c/s

They either don't comment or makes no sense what the variables/function and etc are suppose to do...

That's why I usually when I comment I usually give a detail what the variables and functions are suppose to do,just in case I come back to it.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

In your opinion, is it even worth it to learn Objective-C anymore or just jump right in with Swift? Been putting off copping a mac and fucking with Apple development for too long. Would a basic mac mini do for app development?

I'm like a kid in a toy store playing with all these software toys. Damn I love these resources. :lol:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
If anyone can get some VB.NET tutorials,I would appreciate it.....Half of the time,I run into on youtube are Indians guys and the ones that speaks in English half of them don't explain clearly...

I might just say fuck it and start going over in Java now....

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Anyone messing with VB.net,because I'm stuck...

I'm trying to subtract money with each button click,but I can only do it once...Like I have four buttons($20,$40,$60,and $80) and want to click the $20 button,until it hits zero from the label that I have set up as the overall total($400.00),but I can only subtract it once...I have a feeling I have to do a loop,but don't know how to set it up...I know it's going to be simple as fuck..:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

I know,you can do it,because I saw a person on youtube do it,on a blackjack game...that's where I got the idea from

I'm going to bed,maybe the idea will come to me when I wake up..

water

OG Investor
In your opinion, is it even worth it to learn Objective-C anymore or just jump right in with Swift? Been putting off copping a mac and fucking with Apple development for too long. Would a basic mac mini do for app development?

I'm like a kid in a toy store playing with all these software toys. Damn I love these resources. :lol:

Jump right in with SWIFT

The shit is super easy.

The course on udemy is the shit.

Already on my second app as part of the course :lol:

A lot of the basic stuff is drag and drop e.g. input boxes, validations, tap, swipe etc

The logic of the app is really the heart of what you are creating but shit like login with fb etc is all taken care of

I'm about to go crazy this summer :D

And a mac mini would work, don't know what you will use for a monitor though.

I would say make sure you have two screens, one to follow along and one for actually typing code as the lesson progresses.

I chromecast the videos to an old monitor and use a macbook air for programming.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Anyone messing with VB.net,because I'm stuck...

I'm trying to subtract money with each button click,but I can only do it once...Like I have four buttons($20,$40,$60,and $80) and want to click the $20 button,until it hits zero from the label that I have set up as the overall total($400.00),but I can only subtract it once...I have a feeling I have to do a loop,but don't know how to set it up...I know it's going to be simple as fuck..:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

I know,you can do it,because I saw a person on youtube do it,on a blackjack game...that's where I got the idea from

I'm going to bed,maybe the idea will come to me when I wake up..

Sounds about right. You already know the answer you are looking for is zero. Sounds like a job for a loop. What were you using?

Jump right in with SWIFT

The shit is super easy.

The course on udemy is the shit.

Already on my second app as part of the course :lol:

A lot of the basic stuff is drag and drop e.g. input boxes, validations, tap, swipe etc

The logic of the app is really the heart of what you are creating but shit like login with fb etc is all taken care of

I'm about to go crazy this summer :D

And a mac mini would work, don't know what you will use for a monitor though.

I would say make sure you have two screens, one to follow along and one for actually typing code as the lesson progresses.

I chromecast the videos to an old monitor and use a macbook air for programming.

Yeah, those Udemy courses are great.

Yeah, I already have multiple monitors going on, so I can add a mini without any problem.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Sounds about right. You already know the answer you are looking for is zero. Sounds like a job for a loop. What were you using?

VB.net

I'm trying to do little side projects,before I decide to do a big one...One of the big projects I want to do is make a poker game,where I have 5 picture box of the chips and have their value and whenever the user clicks a button they lose "x" amount of money depending how many times they click the button for their betting.

It's going to be a pain in the fucking ass to do,but hopefully it's worth it at the end.

Dino Velvet

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

Are you taking the Swift course by Jason Rybka? That's the Swift course I've been following on Udemy last couple of weeks. The day job been slowing down my studying lately, but I'm switching up my schedule so I can dedicate more time. Been taking a few source code ideas from the course, but making a much prettier UI, since I enjoy graphic design just as much as I'm learning to code.

These are some projects on my blog that I learned from a different course, but I used and enhanced the sample code and changed the UI a bit:

http://programmingjourney.com/swift-app-rap-ad-libs-generator/
http://programmingjourney.com/swift-game-app-bulls-eye/

As you said though, Swift is mad easy to get into, and Xcode makes this shit super simple with the drag-drop and code suggestions.

This was a good Udemy course also I can recommend..."If you can cook, you can code"

https://www.udemy.com/if-you-can-cook-you-can-code

No coding, just theory. Just puts you in the right state of mind about programming and comparing it to cooking and using recipes. I think its good for initial learning, especially for people new to the field.

Last edited:

water

OG Investor
Are you taking the Swift course by Jason Rybka? That's the Swift course I've been following on Udemy last couple of weeks. The day job been slowing down my studying lately, but I'm switching up my schedule so I can dedicate more time. Been taking a few source code ideas from the course, but making a much prettier UI, since I enjoy graphic design just as much as I'm learning to code.

These are some projects on my blog that I learned from a different course, but I used and enhanced the sample code and changed the UI a bit:

http://programmingjourney.com/swift-app-rap-ad-libs-generator/
http://programmingjourney.com/swift-game-app-bulls-eye/

As you said though, Swift is mad easy to get into, and Xcode makes this shit super simple with the drag-drop and code suggestions. It's really no reason to not get into this if you're in tech field and wanted to learn to code. I work in QA, and have the ability to soak up knowledge on a daily basis from some very experienced programmers (we use C# though), so I'm using that to my advantage.

This was a good Udemy course also I can recommend..."If you can cook, you can code"

https://www.udemy.com/if-you-can-cook-you-can-code

No coding, just theory. Just puts you in the right state of mind about programming and comparing it to cooking and using recipes. I think its good for initial learning, especially for people new to the field.

Good seeign you Bro.

it's the one by Rob Percival.

Work is hectic these days as well but I'm trying to come home and put in 3-4 hrs every night on weeknights and go full beastmode for this holiday at 10-12hrs a day

I want to finish this shit in 2-3weeks max

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
VB.net

I'm trying to do little side projects,before I decide to do a big one...One of the big projects I want to do is make a poker game,where I have 5 picture box of the chips and have their value and whenever the user clicks a button they lose "x" amount of money depending how many times they click the button for their betting.

It's going to be a pain in the fucking ass to do,but hopefully it's worth it at the end.

No, I was wondering what kind of code you were using instead of a loop.

Damn, I wish all the cats in this thread weren't all over the place with languages. I'm doing C++ now, you on VB.net, and Kaya on Swift. Can't even throw examples at each other.

water

OG Investor
No, I was wondering what kind of code you were using instead of a loop.

Damn, I wish all the cats in this thread weren't all over the place with languages. I'm doing C++ now, you on VB.net, and Kaya on Swift. Can't even throw examples at each other.

:lol: