Study: Fried food not bad for heart if cooked in olive, sunflower oil

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
Fried food not bad for heart if cooked in olive, sunflower oil

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...d-for-heart-if-cooked-in-olive-sunflower-oil/

(CBS) Is eating lots of fried food a heart attack waiting to happen? Not if it's fried in olive or sunflower oil, a new study suggests.

The study, published in today's British Medical Journal, surveyed the cooking methods of 40,757 healthy adults in Spain - ages 29 to 69 - over 11 years. Participants were asked about their diet and cooking methods. Researchers assessed the amount of fried food consumed.

After 11 years, the researchers reported 606 events linked to heart disease - such as a stroke or heart attack - and 1,134 deaths. Upon closer examination, heart disease events and deaths were not statistically tied to fried food consumption. The study authors, led by Professor Pilar Guallar-Castilon from Autonomous University of Madrid, concluded that "In a Mediterranean country where olive and sunflower oils are the most commonly used fats for frying, and where large amounts of fried foods are consumed both at and away from home, no association was observed between fried food consumption and the risk of coronary heart disease or death."

In Western countries such as the U.S., frying is one of the most common methods of cooking, but typically solid and re-used oils are used - not olive or sunflower.

Fried food has been found to increase some heart disease risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity, but a clear link between fried food and heart disease has not previously been investigated.

Does this study mean it's time to celebrate with some deep-fried Kool-Aid?

Not quite. Other factors may have contributed to the results, namely that the overall diet habits of those studied are not the same as most Americans'.

"The bottom line here is, most of what they were consuming were these healthful oils - olive and sunflower - and a lot of fish," Andrea Giancoli, a Santa Monica, Calif. dietitian and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, told WebMD. "The Mediterranean diet is different from ours."

A large-scale study of more than 530,000 individuals found the Mediterranean diet contributed to health benefits including a lower risk for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.

GreedySmurf

Star
Registered
Good to know as I've been using olive and coconut oil for EVERYTHING since 2008. Even in baking if they say a qty. of vegetable oil, I substitute EVO. :yes:

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor
I do not have studies to back it but I do hear that besides olive and canola the very best oil to fry stuff in is peanut.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Guess sunflower is going to be the option. Deep frying in olive oil would be too expensive.

But check out those fried foods posted in the link. :smh:

puke2.gif

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
It might be better than cooking in shortening and animal grease, but to say frying with olive and sunflower oil is not bad for the heart is bullshit.

Jmo.

alexw

Platinum Member
It might be better than cooking in shortening and animal grease, but to say frying with olive and sunflower oil is not bad for the heart is bullshit.

Jmo.

an 11 year study is hard to dispute, bruh

especially with a population that probably eats more fried foods than we do

Mad Genius

Avid CAC Slapper
BGOL Investor
What they aren't telling you is that EVOO is toxic at high temperatures. It's not good for any heavy frying. Sunflower oil is better, but don't walk around thinking that there is a healthy oil. Some oils are better than others, but I wouldn't consider any of them healthy.

alexw

Platinum Member
What they aren't telling you is that EVOO is toxic at high temperatures. It's not good for any heavy frying. Sunflower oil is better, but don't walk around thinking that there is a healthy oil. Some oils are better than others, but I wouldn't consider any of them healthy.

i thought the smoke was toxic from overheating

not the actual olive oil

where did you get that from, pimpin?

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
an 11 year study is hard to dispute, bruh

especially with a population that probably eats more fried foods than we do

I guess so, but the article doesn't even say what food is being fried.

Frying pork chops and other Fatty meats are not good for the heart no matter what its cooked in, and that's already been proven. :dunno:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
fried or high fat food isn't bad for you, carbs are. You could eat fried chicken all day and it would be better than eating a loaf of bread

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

Frying pork chops and other Fatty meats are not good for the heart no matter what its cooked in, and that's already been proven. :dunno:

actually eating fried pork chops and fatty meats has been proven to not cause any health issues if accompanied by a low carb diet.

alexw

Platinum Member

great point bruh

the article kind of addresses that by saying other dietary issues cause heart disease in western culture

which is probably our high fat intake

but frying in good oils isnt the problem, the fatty foods are

nimrod-x

Star
Registered
I do not have studies to back it but I do hear that besides olive and canola the very best oil to fry stuff in is peanut.

Bro.....Canola oil is poison. It was originally a machine oil and fuel. Most livestock won't eat the plant.It was never safe for human consumption. they are setting folks up like they did with flouride in water and mouthwash. Flouride is nuclear reaction by-product that is neurotoxic.:rolleyes:

nimrod-x

Star
Registered
I only cook with olive oil. Any oil that is solid at room temp. is not a good move.Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, bad for you cholesterol.

Les W

Star
Registered
I read that olive (evo) isn't meant for cooking just as a dressing it is beneficial... googled it and EVERY source said that you should cook in vegetable oil... I did use peanut oil.. it is cheap and great tasting flavor... but not good for dressing

Grapeseed oil is the best IMO

that's why I am cookin in now and I don't deep fry... hell tryna get away from frying period :smh:

Laughing Man

Star
Registered
Guess sunflower is going to be the option. Deep frying in olive oil would be too expensive.

But check out those fried foods posted in the link. :smh:

puke2.gif

There's a way to oven bake it and use less olive oil

put eh meat you intent to fry and coat it with a scambled egg

put the coated meat into some panko break crumbs

and put it in the oven with a slight amount of olive oil, chekc it to turn over and you can essentially fry it without all the oil and such

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
There's a way to oven bake it and use less olive oil

put eh meat you intent to fry and coat it with a scambled egg

put the coated meat into some panko break crumbs

and put it in the oven with a slight amount of olive oil, chekc it to turn over and you can essentially fry it without all the oil and such

Either way frying is not the best way to prepare food. The fact these two oils are now proven to be better choices is a plus. I really wish they had included peanut oil in the study.

buster

Star
Registered
Bro.....Canola oil is poison. It was originally a machine oil and fuel. Most livestock won't eat the plant.It was never safe for human consumption. they are setting folks up like they did with flouride in water and mouthwash. Flouride is nuclear reaction by-product that is neurotoxic.:rolleyes:

bump this.

nimrod-x

Star
Registered
Deep frying is not the way to go. Olive oil is meant for stewing and sauteing food. I also have a nuwave oven and it is great for rotissere style and such. And it helps to remove excess fat from foods. :rolleyes:

nimrod-x

Star
Registered
I went to the Asian market once and bought a gallon of olive oil.
The price looked too good to pass up. I used the oil to cook and the smell seemed odd. After using it a second time and experiencing the same smell. I read the ingredients and found that this was a mix of olive and canola. Needless to saw it got tossed.
:smh:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I went to the Asian market once and bought a gallon of olive oil.
The price looked too good to pass up. I used the oil to cook and the smell seemed odd. After using it a second time and experiencing the same smell. I read the ingredients and found that this was a mix of olive and canola. Needless to saw it got tossed.
:smh:

Good thinking bro! Canola oil is the worst thing u can put in ur body, it's not even food, it's chemical derivative!!

3 Times

Star
Registered
To my killas:

Yo CBS (I know wacko, but it has to be said and understood so we don't continue to be fed propaganda generation after generation) they are a ran by the illuminati so any an all information from CBS is deemed tainted in my regards. Forget the name "illuminati" for a second. With all the wars and famin on earth do you really think that the people who were in position to make these decisions aren't evil and wicked enough, intelligent and sophisticated enough, greed driven and control freak enough to OWN AN ENTIRE MEDIA OUTLET? Is this possible? If its possible, you can believe its been done. Because you have not been AWARE of it, you haven't noticed it. Because you haven't noticed it, does not mean it isn't true. Expand your AWARENESS my brothers, and you will soon start to see for yourselves.

alexw

Platinum Member
To my killas:

Yo CBS (I know wacko, but it has to be said and understood so we don't continue to be fed propaganda generation after generation) they are a ran by the illuminati so any an all information from CBS is deemed tainted in my regards. Forget the name "illuminati" for a second. With all the wars and famin on earth do you really think that the people who were in position to make these decisions aren't evil and wicked enough, intelligent and sophisticated enough, greed driven and control freak enough to OWN AN ENTIRE MEDIA OUTLET? Is this possible? If its possible, you can believe its been done. Because you have not been AWARE of it, you haven't noticed it. Because you haven't noticed it, does not mean it isn't true. Expand your AWARENESS my brothers, and you will soon start to see for yourselves.

this article has been posted on 874 different media outlets :rolleyes:

3 Times

Star
Registered
no disrespect, but are you special?

i mean the source is right there in the article

Well if CBS approoved the story, I'm gonna be cautious, in fact I won't even read the material, especially controversial material, especially in particular controversial material aimed at the black audience.

alexw

Platinum Member
Well if CBS approoved the story, I'm gonna be cautious, in fact I won't even read the material, especially controversial material, especially in particular controversial material aimed at the black audience.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
ok ill play since youre coming off as a fake noi brother

how is this article aimed at the black audience?

you are aware that i copied this article and PASTED IT HERE!

3 Times

Star
Registered
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
ok ill play since youre coming off as a fake noi brother

how is this article aimed at the black audience?

you are aware that i copied this article and PASTED IT HERE!

Are you aware that blacks are known to eat fried foods more so than any other cultures? Of course they aren't going to blatantly come out and say they're talking to blacks, they are sophisticated enough to know certain subjects will automatically appeal to certain audiences. This article is telling its readers to keep frying your chicken and eating your greasy fatty foods as long as you use this oil and not that oil. Now readers are encouraged to continue unhealthy eating eating habits based on this public relations ( aka propaganda) "news" article.

It's pure fuckin mind control.