Seafood Gumbo (Cooking with Carolyn)

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
my Mom is handling the 'bo... i went ahead and cooked some beef short ribs. when i say we brown the fuck outta our food, this is an example: beef short ribs with jasmine rice. it looks like a lot of gravy, but once the rice is mixed-in, they "marry-nate" and "set-up" proper.

before
21106xu.jpg

after
bdqnt5.jpg

in NOLa: braised beef short ribs.
in Lafayette: beef short ribs with rice & gravy
in my house: beef short ribs you best eat before my Dad gets here. :lol:

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
my Mom is handling the 'bo... i went ahead and cooked some beef short ribs. when i say we brown the fuck outta our food, this is an example: beef short ribs with jasmine rice. it looks like a lot of gravy, but once the rice is mixed-in, they "marry-nate" and "set-up" proper.

before
21106xu.jpg

after
bdqnt5.jpg

in NOLa: braised beef short ribs.
in Lafayette: beef short ribs with rice & gravy
in my house: beef short ribs you best eat before my Dad gets here. :lol:
Looks yummo:)

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
this mf thread here...man im doing good please dont make me go Ape shit on some Gumbo

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well I said that I was going to give it a try...here it is. First Attempt... Bon Apetit Pham & Thx for the nuggets all year long...Happy New Year

11cdvkx.jpg

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
Well I said that I was going to give it a try...here it is. First Attempt... Bon Apetit Pham & Thx for the nuggets all year long...Happy New Year

11cdvkx.jpg

say d... where you at, and more importantly, where you get dem crawfish?

i normally put-in just the crawfish tails, but you done gave me an idea for when i don't feel like peeling.

:yes:

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:yes::yes::yes:

born & raised in south Louisiana... taught by old school family members, esp. my grandmother who was a chef.

this ^^^ is gumbo... as your roux should be the color of a hershey's chocolate candy bar.

your veggies should be cooked completely away minus maybe a few onion pieces. DO NOT PUT TOMATO IN A MOTHERFUCKING GUMBO!!!

everything except the seafood should be browned heavily BEFORE it even thinks about getting in that pot.

the key to Louisiana cooking = color. what most people called burned, we call 'almost ready.' we brown the fuck outta everything we cook... til it reaches that fine, fine line between maximum brown and burnt. that takes YEARS to learn.

gizzards, necks, are all good, but i don't roll with the chicken feet. and when you don't feel like eating rice, throw a big whoppin dollop of good potato salad right in the middle of your bowl and ladle that 'bo all around it. :D:yes::D

you mofos got me craving now... i'm bout to call my mama.

Show you right. And muhfuckas complaining about chicken with skin and bones.....:smh::smh::smh:

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm in an area of NY State called Central NY...picked those up at the local supermarket here. Surprisingly my boys never had gumbo before...but they tore it up....my peeps are from charleston, so I have the geechie influence.

I'm planning to be in Nawlins in Aug for a convention...I definitely will hit up a number of local spots for the right and exact creole experience.:yes:

say d... where you at, and more importantly, where you get dem crawfish?

i normally put-in just the crawfish tails, but you done gave me an idea for when i don't feel like peeling.

:yes:

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
I'm in an area of NY State called Central NY...picked those up at the local supermarket here. Surprisingly my boys never had gumbo before...but they tore it up....my peeps are from charleston, so I have the geechie influence.

I'm planning to be in Nawlins in Aug for a convention...I definitely will hit up a number of local spots for the right and exact creole experience.:yes:

i'm from the NOLa side of the state, and creole cooking is good. but if you have time and want a different experience, travel out west to the breaux (pronounced 'bro') bridge & lafayette areas; that's where the cajun (brown & spicy) influence comes into play.

while in NOLa, for fine dining, you can't go wrong, but you HAVE TO GO TO either Acme Oyster House or Drago's for some chargrilled oysters (eerr-sters). :yes:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
anybody visit her blog... boy oh boy if you like desserts you ass will be in heaven reading it. i had my homer drool on reading that shit

twiggy

Rising Star
Registered
man all these luxuorious gumbo's...

fuck all that...

gimme da spicy po'man gumbo any day of the week...

chicken for the hood...

shrimp fo da holiday's...

if you get some gumbo and that shit white...It ain't right...

you can use okra...

you can use file'

bottom line if that shit nasty nigga ain't gon eat it..

Imma make some tmmrw cuz I ain't got shit to do!!!

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Thats not gumbo :lol::lol::lol::lol: You bring that shit to SouthEast Texas and folks gonna give you the :puke: face.

:hmm: Man real southern and creole folk will cook any thing in gumbo. Gator, rats tail, pok chicken beak hell anything. Cajun folk will cook anything, period. Cioppino is very close to gumbo except it's base is made from fresh tomatoes which is off the heezy. I'm a soup type of guy so I like almost any flavorful combo but I don't eat pork

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good looking...:dance:

i'm from the NOLa side of the state, and creole cooking is good. but if you have time and want a different experience, travel out west to the breaux (pronounced 'bro') bridge & lafayette areas; that's where the cajun (brown & spicy) influence comes into play.

while in NOLa, for fine dining, you can't go wrong, but you HAVE TO GO TO either Acme Oyster House or Drago's for some chargrilled oysters (eerr-sters). :yes:

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:hmm: Man real southern and creole folk will cook any thing in gumbo. Gator, rats tail, pok chicken beak hell anything. Cajun folk will cook anything, period. Cioppino is very close to gumbo except it's base is made from fresh tomatoes which is off the heezy. I'm a soup type of guy so I like almost any flavorful combo but I don't eat pork

Southern and Creole are two totally different type of people. When folks like you say southern that can just mean poor so they eating whatever. Creoles is gonna cook their food one way.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Southern and Creole are two totally different type of people. When folks like you say southern that can just mean poor so they eating whatever. Creoles is gonna cook their food one way.

Yep but the further you go south the more recipes blend. Most southern food taste good anyway. All that grease, ass, snout and salty cooking. I know some creole women and country ass southern women and the recipes blur. Yeah man, I'm from the South too. The cooking is what's killing us

30-suits

Star
Registered
Ok..NOW, that I've seen the vid...:smh:

Boneless, skinless chicken in gumbo? no okra? It looks beige? Where's the gumbo file? Hush puppies?

Her's looks too plain (white) :yes:..gotta put ya foot in it..

I just assumed that since she's heavy, she knows what she's doin...:smh:

agreed if i ever catch some gumbo with bay leafs immma throw that shit on the groud

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Ok I keep seeing someone mention hush puppies???? That's new to me.

Made my gumbo and I must toot my own horn and say it is so good!!!! I didn't let me roux get too dark, but it's still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punanydina

Star
BGOL Investor
Gumbo is all about layers of flavors...

dark roux (you can get it damn near black if u know what u doing)
some sort of stock
trinity
andouille sausage
seafood

Used bacon fat this year instead of oil for my roux and you could tell the difference...added another layer of flavor.

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok I keep seeing someone mention hush puppies???? That's new to me.

Made my gumbo and I must toot my own horn and say it is so good!!!! I didn't let me roux get too dark, but it's still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta have either hushpuppies or crackers to eat gumbo.

If it's crackers :smh: I'll eat a whole sleeve with one bowl.

Round 2 of the throwdown today..:lol:

Uncontainable_Spirit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

some sort of stock
trinity
andouille sausage
seafood

Used bacon fat this year instead of oil for my roux and you could tell the difference...added another layer of flavor.

You are the first person in this thread, I think, to mention Andouille sausage... I tend to like a more blonde roux however and I refuse to put okra in my gumbo and I'm from Louisiana. lol! But I agree with the other posters about gumbo not being gumbo without sassafras root on it. That's a whole 'nother animal. Boneless chicken and the like I have no problem with as long as it's the leg and thigh I'm cool.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor

creole is african + spanish + french + native american.
cajun is french descendent of canada + small amount of african & native american

creole is tomato + white table cloths + fine dining + black pepper = refined cooking
cajun is NO TOMATO + cooking outside on a burner + red pepper = rustic cooking.

creole is tomato in your gumbo, etouffee, & jambalaya.
cajun is NO TOMATO in your gumbo, etouffee, & jambalaya.

creole is browning your food well before 'finishing' it off.
cajun is browning your food to the point where it's almost burnt.

creole is light-skinned, fine, beautiful black women...you might think are white.
cajun is dark-skinned, thick, friendly white women...that you might think are black.

i was born in LaFourche Parish which is essentially the dividing line between Cajun Country & Creole... so I grew-up learning how to cook BOTH cuisines and more importantly, enjoying both 'styles' of women too. :D:yes::D

some sort of stock
trinity
andouille sausage
seafood

all kinds of secrets in this post. :eek: Mom uses bacon fat for her roux, but it's tricky as hell bc it will burn quick. also, we use the andouille sausage more like a seasoning... and use D&D smoked sausage as an ingredient.

the trinity = 2 parts onion, 1 part each bell pepper & celery (diced). if you can see bell pepper or celery in your gumbo, it ain't cooked down enough.

we also use a mixture of chicken stock (homemade) + shrimp & crab stock (made from the shells when we peel everything).

You are the first person in this thread, I think, to mention Andouille sausage... I tend to like a more blonde roux however and I refuse to put okra in my gumbo and I'm from Louisiana. lol! But I agree with the other posters about gumbo not being gumbo without sassafras root on it. That's a whole 'nother animal. Boneless chicken and the like I have no problem with as long as it's the leg and thigh I'm cool.

blond roux is OK, but you better tell experienced 'bo eaters that you made a 'white' gumbo... cause if they open the pot and see a light-colored gumbo, you're gonna get the :hmm: face.

personally, i don't mind 'white' gumbo, but it just doesn't have the depth that you get from making a super dark roux. and i agree... even though it's 'classic,' I don't like okra in my gumbo either.

what part of the boot are you from?

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
That roux was too light. :smh:

On some real shit though, I'm finna have some of y'all N'awlins folks (specifically max-dawg) to give me a few recipes (gumbo, crawfish etoufee, jambalaya, shrimp creole, a good crawfish boil) like I'm gettin' a recipe to cook some good dope. :lol:

I wish i could eat this stuff

Why can't you???

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
creole is african + spanish + french + native american.
cajun is french descendent of canada + small amount of african & native american

creole is tomato + white table cloths + fine dining + black pepper = refined cooking
cajun is NO TOMATO + cooking outside on a burner + red pepper = rustic cooking.

creole is tomato in your gumbo, etouffee, & jambalaya.
cajun is NO TOMATO in your gumbo, etouffee, & jambalaya.

creole is browning your food well before 'finishing' it off.
cajun is browning your food to the point where it's almost burnt.

creole is light-skinned, fine, beautiful black women...you might think are white.
cajun is dark-skinned, thick, friendly white women...that you might think are black.

i was born in LaFourche Parish which is essentially the dividing line between Cajun Country & Creole... so I grew-up learning how to cook BOTH cuisines and more importantly, enjoying both 'styles' of women too. :D:yes::D

all kinds of secrets in this post. :eek: Mom uses bacon fat for her roux, but it's tricky as hell bc it will burn quick. also, we use the andouille sausage more like a seasoning... and use D&D smoked sausage as an ingredient.

the trinity = 2 parts onion, 1 part each bell pepper & celery (diced). if you can see bell pepper or celery in your gumbo, it ain't cooked down enough.

we also use a mixture of chicken stock (homemade) + shrimp & crab stock (made from the shells when we peel everything).

blond roux is OK, but you better tell experienced 'bo eaters that you made a 'white' gumbo... cause if they open the pot and see a light-colored gumbo, you're gonna get the :hmm: face.

personally, i don't mind 'white' gumbo, but it just doesn't have the depth that you get from making a super dark roux. and i agree... even though it's 'classic,' I don't like okra in my gumbo either.

I agree with you on everything talking about Cajuns minus a bit.

http://www.landrystuff.com/creole.htm

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is the first new years since momma dukes passed. She was a LA girl through and through and its the first time I made gumbo myself.

Shit was proper I suppose since my wifes family showed up unannounced and I will be eating some sammiches cause they tore through a 12 quart pot.

icefuzion

Support BGOL
Registered
I don't care where you from, but no one puts crawfish in gumbo, let alone use the whole crawfish. I could see if you used the crawfish HEADS after a crawfish boil, or made a crawfish soup, but NO! Anytime you make gumbo, crawfish are out of season.

I hate when people who do cooking shows claim they got a family member that is from louisiana and gave them a recipe. They full of shit.

Uncontainable_Spirit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

True... I have no problem with a light or dark roux I just know how time consuming it is to make the perfect 'black' roux. My blonde roux is about 2 shades darker than what the lady made in the video at the top of this thread so it's really not blonde it's just not 'black' because the minute you burn it you may as well toss it and start over. I'm from Ouachita Parish.

I think that this lady has a pretty firm grasp of the basics. Look at how dark her roux is.

If you can deal with her foundation then your gumbo is going to be pretty good. I like alligator tail and frog legs in mine too... my uncle uses squirrel meat and raccoon in his when he feels like bragging.

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Brah those absolute statements are killing me...if a motherfucker want to put goat heads, or chicken w/skin, then it's up to the motherfucker who's making the motherfucking gumbo. What natives in Nawlins call gumbo, others call bouyon in islands like St. Lucia, Haita etc. all of the shit is french inspired and african influenced, with each culture adding it's own spin and take. Shit, for those of you who travel to jamaica know that jerk is prepared differently depending upon which part of the island you come from.:smh:

I don't care where you from, but no one puts crawfish in gumbo, let alone use the whole crawfish. I could see if you used the crawfish HEADS after a crawfish boil, or made a crawfish soup, but NO! Anytime you make gumbo, crawfish are out of season.

I hate when people who do cooking shows claim they got a family member that is from louisiana and gave them a recipe. They full of shit.

doublejizzle

Star
Registered
I have never made my own roux, didn't know how too. Laugh if ya want but this right here isn't bad at all for out the box:yes:

gumbo.jpg

I use this as my roux base and then add in some chicken, i bake mine and then add it in, smoked sausage, hot links, shrimp, and some crab claws some times. Even with just the sausage, hot links, chicken and shrimp, it comes out good.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Good lookin on this MB. This is one to def add to my recipe binder :yes:

Also: I'm jealous as fuck at how well maintained her cast iron skillet is. I bought my first cast iron about a year and change ago, but have only used it about a half dozen times. I'm still iffy exactly how to clean it correctly. They say to not use soap, so I do the scrub with hot water and brush method, lightly oil it and pop if in the oven or on the hot stove. Shit still doesn't seem right to me though and the clean up process takes so long that the thought of using my pan in the first is a turn off :smh: Guess I gotta do more research.