Seafood Gumbo (Cooking with Carolyn)

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
I never seen it cooked in one shaped like that..

Ya gotta use a friggin pot big enough to bathe a 12 mo old kid in..

:lol:

i think that pot got that covered look at that shit it looks like one of those old school laundry basins

wb01.jpg

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Black people cooking with the skin on. Man gumbo not supposed to have the skin it. Yuck ya'll niggas trying to do to much to gumbo. Keep that shit fucking simple and its on point every time.

word! nor do I want any bones or hard ass crab shells, just the meat

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Ok..NOW, that I've seen the vid...:smh:

Boneless, skinless chicken in gumbo? no okra? It looks beige? Where's the gumbo file? Hush puppies?

Her's looks too plain (white) :yes:..gotta put ya foot in it..

I just assumed that since she's heavy, she knows what she's doin...:smh:

Man she probably do but if she go all out ghetto on TV they will get rid of her ass. Only Martha Stewart, Rachel and Paula Dean fat ass can cook with all that bacon grease and shit

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
True New Orleans gumbo base has Smoke sausage, blue crab (aka the gumbo crab) Hot sausage, shrimp, okra and then you add in whatever. Most old school people add gizzards, chicken necks, chicken feet etc.
Here is a pic of gumbo I made for christmas!

375338_2093014865269_1842232709_1396296_452468668_n.jpg

:yes::yes::yes:

born & raised in south Louisiana... taught by old school family members, esp. my grandmother who was a chef.

this ^^^ is gumbo... as your roux should be the color of a hershey's chocolate candy bar.

your veggies should be cooked completely away minus maybe a few onion pieces. DO NOT PUT TOMATO IN A MOTHERFUCKING GUMBO!!!

everything except the seafood should be browned heavily BEFORE it even thinks about getting in that pot.

the key to Louisiana cooking = color. what most people called burned, we call 'almost ready.' we brown the fuck outta everything we cook... til it reaches that fine, fine line between maximum brown and burnt. that takes YEARS to learn.

gizzards, necks, are all good, but i don't roll with the chicken feet. and when you don't feel like eating rice, throw a big whoppin dollop of good potato salad right in the middle of your bowl and ladle that 'bo all around it. :D:yes::D

you mofos got me craving now... i'm bout to call my mama.

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator

born & raised in south Louisiana... taught by old school family members, esp. my grandmother who was a chef.

this ^^^ is gumbo... as your roux should be the color of a hershey's chocolate candy bar.

your veggies should be cooked completely away minus maybe a few onion pieces. DO NOT PUT TOMATO IN A MOTHERFUCKING GUMBO!!!

everything except the seafood should be browned heavily BEFORE it even thinks about getting in that pot.

the key to Louisiana cooking = color. what most people called burned, we call 'almost ready.' we brown the fuck outta everything we cook... til it reaches that fine, fine line between maximum brown and burnt. that takes YEARS to learn.

gizzards, necks, are all good, but i don't roll with the chicken feet. and when you don't feel like eating rice, throw a big whoppin dollop of good potato salad right in the middle of your bowl and ladle that 'bo all around it. :D:yes::D

Cuz you better tell them, that is how gumbo is suppose to look!!!!!

powermoves

Star
Registered
<iframe frameborder="0" height="410px" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/byronhurt/soul-food-junkies/widget/video.html" width="480px"></iframe>:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
True New Orleans gumbo base has Smoke sausage, blue crab (aka the gumbo crab) Hot sausage, shrimp, okra and then you add in whatever. Most old school people add gizzards, chicken necks, chicken feet etc.

:yes:

That shit is on point fam!!!

Man I miss my granny cooking :smh:

She still here but she retired from the kitchen :(

I got my roux game on point now though :cool:

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
:yes:

That shit is on point fam!!!

Man I miss my granny cooking :smh:

She still here but she retired from the kitchen :(

I got my roux game on point now though :cool:

just keep your heat on medium and stand over the stove constantly stirring... and you won't burn your roux.

your house should be FULL of smoke... smoke alarms going off, etc., when you make a good, dark roux.

secret: once you get the roux slightly past brick red, add-in your onions and the sugar in the onions will carmelize and turn the roux dark, dark brown. then you add-in your celery and bell pepper.;):D:yes:

fuck cabbage and black eye peas... i'm gonna make me a big pot of 'bo tomorrow so it can 'set up' and be just right for new year's day.

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
just keep your heat on medium and stand over the stove constantly stirring... and you won't burn your roux.

your house should be FULL of smoke... smoke alarms going off, etc., when you make a good, dark roux.

secret: once you get the roux slightly past brick red, add-in your onions and the sugar in the onions will carmelize and turn the roux dark, dark brown. then you add-in your celery and bell pepper.;):D:yes:

fuck cabbage and black eye peas... i'm gonna make me a big pot of 'bo tomorrow so it can 'set up' and be just right for new year's day.

thats right!

folk who really know bout that gumbo knows its better that next day

shit I damn near dont even want it until it sits in the fridge for a day

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
img0631mi.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dats one of them big ass magnalite roasters... i think EVERYBODY in louisiana has a full set of them magnalite pots.

my moms been having hers since BEFORE i was born 42 yrs ago!!! and she's STILL cooking in them. that lil skillet done fried more pooooke chops and burgers than most restaurants in town.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite-13-Piece-Cookware-Set-1040816/1603820

for those of you looking for the set. :lol::lol::lol:

don't worry, it will last about 4 or 5 lifetimes. :dance:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
img0631mi.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dats one of them big ass magnalite roasters... i think EVERYBODY in louisiana has a full set of them magnalite pots.

my moms been having hers since BEFORE i was born 42 yrs ago!!! and she's STILL cooking in them. that lil skillet done fried more pooooke chops and burgers than most restaurants in town.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite-13-Piece-Cookware-Set-1040816/1603820

for those of you looking for the set. :lol::lol::lol:

don't worry, it will last about 4 or 5 lifetimes. :dance:

:D:D:D:D thats right....shit we even got this big ass fryer pan

xxxxl skillet :lol::lol::lol::lol:

$(KGrHqMOKp!E3tTlFCYqBO!5J)w)mQ~~0_3.JPG

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
:D:D:D:D thats right....shit we even got this big ass fryer pan

xxxxl skillet :lol::lol::lol::lol:

$(KGrHqMOKp!E3tTlFCYqBO!5J)w)mQ~~0_3.JPG

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

somebody needs to find a brown paper bag, some flour, yard bird, and some season-all... cause dats the famous magnalite fried chicken pan. :yes:

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

somebody in that house knows something bout some cookin!! :yes:

EnSabahNur

Star
OG Investor
Kats not from South La, don't really know anything about MagnaLite pots...:smh:
Those fucking pots are the damn truth!!! Although, the new sets won't last nearly as long as all the old ones. The gauge steel used in new sets are not like the what they used back in the day. Have to "cure" the pots before you can even "burn" in them, really, really good.
We don't put okra in a seafood gumbo(just got paid gumbo/holiday gumbo), we use the okra for the Chicken & Sausage gumbo(broke man gumbo). Not rocking the chicken feet either. Real gumbo have to have the skin on the chicken, flavor is in there. All that other shit they call as gumbo outside of La is funny at best, but I give them credit for trying.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Shit look like somebody threw an M80 in the Hudson River and scooped it up :lol:

Nu_lojik

Potential Star
Registered
I have a great recipe for you instead of your regular Christmas Ham. Seafood, Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Serve it as a soup before dinner or as the main course. I know this one will be a hit! Of course, you'll need my seasoning go to http://www.gdseasoning.com
gumbo+002.JPG

BRo, lookin at that got me all misty eyed missin my mama. Imma have to test drive this recipe now:)

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
true new orleans gumbo base has smoke sausage, blue crab (aka the gumbo crab) hot sausage, shrimp, okra and then you add in whatever. Most old school people add gizzards, chicken necks, chicken feet etc.
Here is a pic of gumbo i made for christmas!

now thats gumbo lawd have mercy can i stop by?

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man yall cats' done influenced me to cook gumbo for New Years:yes: And those set of Magnalite Pots have pique my interest.:dance:

We need a BGOL Tailgate Party.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
Kats not from South La, don't really know anything about MagnaLite pots...:smh:
Those fucking pots are the damn truth!!! Although, the new sets won't last nearly as long as all the old ones. The gauge steel used in new sets are not like the what they used back in the day. Have to "cure" the pots before you can even "burn" in them, really, really good.
We don't put okra in a seafood gumbo(just got paid gumbo/holiday gumbo), we use the okra for the Chicken & Sausage gumbo(broke man gumbo). Not rocking the chicken feet either. Real gumbo have to have the skin on the chicken, flavor is in there. All that other shit they call as gumbo outside of La is funny at best, but I give them credit for trying.

man, ain't nothing like a "just got paid" pot of 'bo. dat mofo have chicken, D&D sausage, lots of BIG CRABS, lump crab meat, fresh swimps, crawfish tails, chicken necks, gizzards, DRIED SWIMPS, and sometimes smoked turkey necks. my Dad even drops a boiled egg in his bowl. :yes:

whatchoo cats know bout dat D&D sausage? :hmm::hmm::hmm: maaaan, dem shits is PACKED with flavor!!! and not only does the chicken have the skin on it, but that chicken better be browned like a motherfucker BEFORE you put it in the pot. :yes:

as for the magnalites, it's too bad the new ones don't last like the old ones. i've heard of families fussing over magnalites at a funeral and before the will was read. :lol::lol::lol:

and don't get me started on those old, black, cast iron skillets and pots...:hmm: i've got a skillet that my grandmother's people had... fucker bout 125 yrs old.

:dance::dance::dance:

Man yall cats' done influenced me to cook gumbo for New Years:yes: And those set of Magnalite Pots have pique my interest.:dance:

We need a BGOL Tailgate Party.

sam's club has them too. like i said, down here in louisiana, when them magnalites used to go on sale (once every 25 yrs), mofos would line-up to buy them like iphones. :lol::lol::lol:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Shit my peeps just handed over a cask iron skillet and pot, they got one of those glass top stove.

Them older folks fucked with the "swimps".

Say Ole boi Max where you get that D&D from, I'm see if my peeps can get me some.
Fuck they mail king cakes I'm sure they can shipped that also lol.

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator

man, ain't nothing like a "just got paid" pot of 'bo. dat mofo have chicken, D&D sausage, lots of BIG CRABS, lump crab meat, fresh swimps, crawfish tails, chicken necks, gizzards, DRIED SWIMPS, and sometimes smoked turkey necks. my Dad even drops a boiled egg in his bowl. :yes:

whatchoo cats know bout dat D&D sausage? :hmm::hmm::hmm: maaaan, dem shits is PACKED with flavor!!! and not only does the chicken have the skin on it, but that chicken better be browned like a motherfucker BEFORE you put it in the pot. :yes:

as for the magnalites, it's too bad the new ones don't last like the old ones. i've heard of families fussing over magnalites at a funeral and before the will was read. :lol::lol::lol:

and don't get me started on those old, black, cast iron skillets and pots...:hmm: i've got a skillet that my grandmother's people had... fucker bout 125 yrs old.

sam's club has them too. like i said, down here in louisiana, when them magnalites used to go on sale (once every 25 yrs), mofos would line-up to buy them like iphones. :lol::lol::lol:

I still have my cast iron skillet and I promise it's about 50/60 yrs old. My grandmother gave each one of one years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
those things last a lifetime as long as you condition them right

My mom has one older than that. I recently bought some new pots and pans and my Aunt come over and said you will be replacing that shit next year, we laughed but I knew she was right.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
Shit my peeps just handed over a cask iron skillet and pot, they got one of those glass top stove.

Them older folks fucked with the "swimps".

Say Ole boi Max where you get that D&D from, I'm see if my peeps can get me some.
Fuck they mail king cakes I'm sure they can shipped that also lol.

Double D Meat, Inc.
11518 Highway 21
Bogalusa, LA 70427
985-735-6581

http://www.doubledsausage.com/

they deliver anywhere so make room in dat freezer, my brother. :dance:

be sure to get both the mild & the hot versions. we use the hot in just about everything except the 'bo.

I still have my cast iron skillet and I promise it's about 50/60 yrs old. My grandmother gave each one of one years ago.

:yes::yes:

the original 'green' cookware is old cast iron... it's super safe, stovetop-to-oven capable, even heat distribution, and the BEST thing to make homemade cornbread.

cot damn y'all got me hungry now. :lol:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
My mom has one older than that. I recently bought some new pots and pans and my Aunt come over and said you will be replacing that shit next year, we laughed but I knew she was right.

a good cast iron pot is what most chefs recommend for all home cooks to own.

my next purchase will some good stainless chefs cookware

Lick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I'm feeling ya... working on a pot now! :yes::lol::yes: