Justice League MOVIE Discussion (The SynderCut Drops 3/18/2021)

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
  • The pacing of the movie felt weird. It felt like there was a piece in the middle that was missing.
  • I hated how they portrayed Flash. They made him borderline autistic with his behavior and it was rubbing me the wrong way. You can have Flash be the funny one without making him socially awkward nerd. Someone tell me if anything else portrays him like that.
  • I enjoyed the fight when Superman first woke up. The look on Flash's face when he noticed that Superman was fast enough to react to him was outstanding.
  • I hated how easily they had Superman deal with Steppenwolf at the end. If it's that easy then why do we need to worry???
  • I liked Cyborg
I agree with 80% of what you said. All are valid points. Cyborg was a pleasant surprise, especially since I'd heard he was involved in character rewrites designed to downplay his importance (read into that what you will) The actor who portrays him has a presence, a rare find in one so young. He was able to convey pathos and anger without screaming or becoming the Angry Black Man of the movie. Kudos to him. Cyborg was the exact opposite of how the Flash was displayed. It's amazing how bad the Flash was, on every level, from special effects to casting. Was he supposed to have Asperger's? Poorly done.
Regarding my one differing POV: perhaps Superman deals easily with Steppenwolf because this builds up to Darkseid's eventual arrival. One of the potential storylines DC could use involves Superman's capture and him being used as a weapon against the team. If Superman thinks that all the New Gods are pushovers going forward, that could set up his capture on Apokolips.
A few bones of contention:
+Why was Aquaman such a country bumpkin? "Yee-Haa"? Really?
+Why was Superman mad at Batman, when they ostensibly got past that during the half-assed Doomsday fight at the end of BVS?
+The resurrection scene. They missed a golden opportunity to dig up Clark and find him with a beard and long hair, but non-responsive. This would imply that he wasn't really dead, just 'out' of solar energy. (this was in the original comic story) This would also preclude them having to CGI Cavill's moustache away, causing parts of the movie to look like a bad Playstation 3 game. Let him stay confused and displaced, not fully remembering who he is, but willing to help save Earth. Keep the long hair and beard, and gimme the black Superman suit until Cavill's next solo movie. THAT, I'd line up to see. Instead, all we get is either long shots of Clark being placed in the tank (in his burial suit & tie), or extreme closeups where you can't see his complete face. I get that you're afraid of certain people being offended by the concept of digging up a dead man, but you did it anyway, so why not do it right?
+I really wish that DC could slow down and tell their stories properly, but It's too late for that.
+The foreclosure storyline....sigh. Soo stupid. You can't even buy a bank like that.
BTW...The piece in the middle that you felt was missing? That was the connective tissue of an acutal plot! :D

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
Is it just me or that lantern that got stabbed at the begging look like Tomar-Re
latest
YES. Good catch.
EDIT: In the comics, there's always been one of the beaked race with a ring. Could have been any one of them. Recently, Tomar-Re's son was a member, but he was stripped of his ring for murder.

Last edited:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of the core DC Super Hero's come together and are all in as they take on Steppenwolf an alien military officer from Apokolips and his army of Parademons.

One of the things i loved about this film is how it reminded me of one of my favorite DC comics mini series Crisis on Infinite Earths.
The characters as individuals:Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne / Batman: Great and i hope Affleck returns for a couple of more films.
Ezra Miller as Barry Allen / Flash did a fine job,sure some of his humor didnt work but it never reaches an obnoxious levels.In fact he had key dramatic scenes that really worked.Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry / Aquaman:providing some bad boy weight ,the underwater sequence including Amber Heard as Mera really worked a nice bit of what's to come in next years Aquaman movie
Gal Gadot as Diana Prince / Wonder Woman: she just completely owns the role now,not one false note from her.To the people saying she was objectified in the film,please take a seat !!
Ray Fisher as Victor Stone / Cyborg: i was actually surprisingly found this character the most grounded and compelling good job Mr.Fisher
The banter between the characters,how they challenged and questioned each others motives was on point !!
The scenes with the Amazons and Atlanteans really worked for me.
I enjoyed some of the action sequences,and THANK YOU,THANK YOU to the writers and producers for giving a key character a personality !!!!

Some of the CGI was way off,so much so it was distracting at times.
Ciarán Hinds as Steppenwolf turns in some great voice work but the character was just cookie cutter and the CGI didnt help matters.
The CGI used on another character was pretty bad like some weird dark tan or shadow.
Im not sure why an exec at Warner Brothers demanded that the film should only be two hours.
If a movie is flowing fine and entertaining me ,i dont care if it's 3 hours !!
That decision hurt the film in some ways because i could tell where the cuts were made and it felt very rushed.

DC has taken a step in the right direction with JL,I hope they continue down this path and work out any kinks that would alter their course.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
YES. Good catch.
EDIT: In the comics, there's always been one of the beaked race with a ring. Could have been any one of them. Recently, Tomar-Re's son was a member, but he was stripped of his ring for murder.
green lanterns were always my favorite stories in the comics, where is a good place to get back into them to start reading again... shit is all over the place now

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
On a side note, I really liked how they did Mera and her powers. Looked good to me. I also liked the 2 seconds of green Lantern.

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of the CGI was way off,so much so it was distracting at times.
Ciarán Hinds as Steppenwolf turns in some great voice work but the character was just cookie cutter and the CGI didnt help matters.
The CGI used on another character was pretty bad like some weird dark tan or shadow.
Im not sure why an exec at Warner Brothers demanded that the film should only be two hours.
If a movie is flowing fine and entertaining me ,i dont care if it's 3 hours !!
That decision hurt the film in some ways because i could tell where the cuts were made and it felt very rushed.

I couldn't "not" the CGI on Superman's face. Even if I didn't know about it, it was still too noticeable for me. And like said, him having facial hair and a beard would have made perfect sense when they brought him back. Stupid for them to not use it.

The runtime cutting may be just for them to get more showings in a day. They want a little in the way of making money off this movie in the theater. That's like two extra showings per screen.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Just thought of something... The whole Bruce not looking after Martha thing.

Bat's and supes had that great bonding over they moms being named Martha and Bruce was at Clark's funeral I just can't accept that he would let her go distitue and lose the farm.

Now (I truly hate to do this) contrast that with Ironman fighting hulk in age of ultron taking the time to buy a building he was about to destroy.

Bruce and Tony are both billionaires, but do you believe Tony would let ANY avenger or their family be in a distitute position?

Shit I bet he already got scholarships set up for Hawkeyes kids!!!

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
I couldn't "not" the CGI on Superman's face. Even if I didn't know about it, it was still too noticeable for me. And like said, him having facial hair and a beard would have made perfect sense when they brought him back. Stupid for them to not use it.

The runtime cutting may be just for them to get more showings in a day. They want a little in the way of making money off this movie in the theater. That's like two extra showings per screen.
why did the need cg on superman's face i don't get it.........and cyborg look 100% cg smh

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why did the need cg on superman's face i don't get it.........and cyborg look 100% cg smh

When they did reshoots Cavill was already filming another movie that required him to have facial hair. The studi worked out letting him do the reshoots, but wouldn't allow him to shave. So WB said they would just remove in post production. And there is a lot of that Clark/Superman with close ups of his face.

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
When they did reshoots Cavill was already filming another movie that required him to have a facial hair. The studi worked out letting him do the reshoots, but wouldn't allow him to shave. So WB said they would just remove in post production. And there is a lot of that Clark/Superman with close ups of his face.
damn i thought that shit looked weird as hell

El Guapo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just took my family to see it, making it my second viewing. I'm sorry but my opinion of the movie actually went up a bit. I give it a solid 8. The theater was full on a Monday Matinée, and all of the audience was reacting positively to the beats. My oldest son and my wife, both of whom dislike Comic Book movies thought that it was good. In any case, I caught a few more things that I missed the first time around which added a bit more consistency to the film. For instance, I originally missed Aquaman stating that he had been to Atlantis before, but chose to stay away purposefully, because they were always expecting him to "do this and do that."

Dark08

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Regarding my one differing POV: perhaps Superman deals easily with Steppenwolf because this builds up to Darkseid's eventual arrival. One of the potential storylines DC could use involves Superman's capture and him being used as a weapon against the team. If Superman thinks that all the New Gods are pushovers going forward, that could set up his capture on Apokolips.
A few bones of contention:
+Why was Aquaman such a country bumpkin? "Yee-Haa"? Really?

I agree everyone ragging on how Superman handled Steppenwolf... you saw how much of problem Steppenwolf was for everyone else Supes brought him down to size. Now when it comes to Apacolype we know things are never that easy. Let him drop them Omega Beams on that ass.....

Aquaman is like that because of where he came from. Outskirts fishing town out there with his pops too at some point as well. It' s easy to see him being like that....

Now on the elephant in the room. Gal Gadot is attractive in the face... I like her portrayal of wonder woman she pulls it off well. Is there a need to make comments about her body? She has none, never did....do you not remember the following scene below? This woman has negative booty. She has a continuous back and legs. When this guy puts his hand on her he is touching the bottom of her back. I almost gaged when I first saw this. I was like what are people suppose to be amazed about...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Now on the elephant in the room. Gal Gadot is attractive in the face... I like her portrayal of wonder woman she pulls it off well. Is there a need to make comments about her body? She has none, never did....do you not remember the following scene below? This woman has negative booty. She has a continuous back and legs. When this guy puts his hand on her he is touching the bottom of her back. I almost gaged when I first saw this. I was like what are people suppose to be amazed about...

Typical white girl :dunno:

I was thinking she had a body double for a couple of scenes, because she had a little cuff

Last edited:

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
green lanterns were always my favorite stories in the comics, where is a good place to get back into them to start reading again... shit is all over the place now
What's the last storyline you've read?
If it's been a long time for ya, the best jumping-on point will be the Geoff Johns run, which begins with 'Rebirth'. (beginning in 2005) I know the TBPs are still around, but I would check out Comixology. You can DL them straight to your phone, laptop, etc. They use a mapping software which makes it possible to read the books on a small screen because the app hops from panel to panel, instead of page to page. If you don't want to go back that far, the must-read stuff begins with the 'Blackest Night/Brightest Day' storyline.
Stellar shit.
Multiple Lantern Corps, multiple power rings with different emotional reservoirs and everything makes sense. (well, maybe "comic book sense", lol)
Wait til you get to the Black Lanterns, man...... This run is popular because Geoff Johns found a way to fix a lot of plot holes from prior years without just pretending those holes didn't exist. You'll understand when you get there.
This run is the reason DC's movie department promoted Geoff to running their extended universe, and gave him a title in the DC Films department. Another plus is the artist, Ethan van Sciver. I like his art so much that I have a few signed pieces on the walls of my man cave.
Enjoy the read, and keep me posted if I can be of future service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_Rebirth

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
I agree everyone ragging on how Superman handled Steppenwolf... you saw how much of problem Steppenwolf was for everyone else Supes brought him down to size. Now when it comes to Apacolype we know things are never that easy. Let him drop them Omega Beams on that ass.....

Aquaman is like that because of where he came from. Outskirts fishing town out there with his pops too at some point as well. It' s easy to see him being like that....

I see your point on Aquaman's upbringing. I just thought that it was too middle america, when he was raised in a fishing village. Diametrically opposed, one would think. Perhaps I'm too sensitive when it comes to stealth CACification in movies, lol. IMO, DC physically (and unnecessarily) added ethnicity to the character, then improperly choose his words and tone afterwards. Regarding Gadot..... I, too, almost retched when I first saw her in the FF franchise. I thought it was just me. She has a YuckBooty. We just gotta accept that.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
What's the last storyline you've read?
If it's been a long time for ya, the best jumping-on point will be the Geoff Johns run, which begins with 'Rebirth'. (beginning in 2005) I know the TBPs are still around, but I would check out Comixology. You can DL them straight to your phone, laptop, etc. They use a mapping software which makes it possible to read the books on a small screen because the app hops from panel to panel, instead of page to page. If you don't want to go back that far, the must-read stuff begins with the 'Blackest Night/Brightest Day' storyline.
Stellar shit.
Multiple Lantern Corps, multiple power rings with different emotional reservoirs and everything makes sense. (well, maybe "comic book sense", lol)
Wait til you get to the Black Lanterns, man...... This run is popular because Geoff Johns found a way to fix a lot of plot holes from prior years without just pretending those holes didn't exist. You'll understand when you get there.
This run is the reason DC's movie department promoted Geoff to running their extended universe, and gave him a title in the DC Films department. Another plus is the artist, Ethan van Sciver. I like his art so much that I have a few signed pieces on the walls of my man cave.
Enjoy the read, and keep me posted if I can be of future service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_Rebirth
I agree. Blackest Night was great.

DjMorpheus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DC needs to just start over. Get the comic heads in there who give a shit about the product and let them run things. They have the biggest, iconic characters in these modern mythos we call comics. Their corporate greed is making a mockery of them tho. They are literally stomping on the graves of the original creators with this bullshit.

They don't have to copy Marvel. Just make some good shit.

Think about this. Marvel started a studio with their A list characters sold off to Sony and Fox. They had a vision and stuck to it, even tho they were laughed at when they announced the Iron Man film.

This is the equivalent of DC having to make movies without Superman and Batman. If DC had to start with Shazam, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Booster Gold, Spectre, Green Arrow, etc...and no Batman or Superman, they should be able to do the same gottdamn thing Marvel did.

Shit is crazy.

Just goes to show these mufuckas just trying to cash in like it's a fad, when Marvel looked at the big picture from the get go.

TruDat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My fam and I just saw it.

This movie has good and bad in parts throughout,
many of the good and bad parts have been mentioned in this thread
Wonder Woman scenes were the best, it seems like she was the babysitter in this film.
I like the introduction of Cyborg, Flash & Aquaman

However, the continuity between bats and supes is still off-kilter
for some odd reason.:smh:Also can they please kill off Lois Lane already.
I dont know if its the actress portraying her but her character is a
soulless unresponsive clone.

I like the battle between supes and flash that was cool.
However, why does the CGI have barry allen running like
a rugrats character.

If I had to rate this movie on a 10 pt system
it would get a 5.5, it wasnt great but it wasnt awful.
It was meh:dunno:

cincitystudios

Chopping it up
Registered
Just got back from seeing this in 4D ... that shit was AMAZING!!! If I watched this movie in any other format I might have thought it was a cool movie, but in 4D this shit was a perfect film! Everybody was caught up in amazement when the shit was over

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
So I went with friends and saw the movie a second times yesterday. Something I didn't notice the first time cause I saw it in 3D was that the cgi seemed off. I don't mean the closeup of Superman'a face but more the cgi in general. Two things that really stand out to me was Cyborgs body and during the final battle when Superman was hovering next to Steppenwolf before he punched him. To compare look at how Vision looks flying in Age of Ultron or Civil War or how Ultron looks to compare a metal body.

Anyone else notice or is it just me?