Brothas that cook

Enigma

Support BGOL
Registered
Anybody got a good recipe for sweet potato fries???

One where they actually come out crispy.

Or any other recipe with sweet potatos that don't involve drowning them in syrup.

Thats a hard one. I been looking online for the past 3 weeks for a recipe and each on I get closer. I cant remember which one, but I found one where I used egg whites that really bought me closer to that goal.

showtime

Support BGOL
Registered
Thats a hard one. I been looking online for the past 3 weeks for a recipe and each on I get closer. I cant remember which one, but I found one where I used egg whites that really bought me closer to that goal.

Yea i've seen some that call for you "egg washing" them. Funny at this resturant called hickory tavern they are perfect. I'm guessing they deep fry them, thats about the only way I can see them getting crispy. I guess doing that will defeat the purpose though lol.

n1pd

Potential Star
Registered
Steaks - Marinaded for about an hour in a mixture of soy sauce, worchester sauce, and lightly peppered.

Grilled over indirect charcoal at medium well doneness.

Grilled over direct heat - Large portabella mushrooms caps and asparagus.

I have more but that is all for now.

CobraKai

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Best pork chops I ever had.
72142.jpg

INGREDIENTS

* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 3 tablespoons milk
* 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
* 4 pork chops

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. In a separate small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until lightly browned. Remove garlic, reserving for other uses.
4. Dip each pork chop into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating evenly. Place coated pork chops in the skillet, and brown abut 5 minutes on each side.
5. Place the skillet and pork chops in the preheated oven, and cook 25 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

It doesn't say it in the recipe but season pork chops well with pepper and seasoned salt.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
you cats better pay attention when some truth is being told to you

The usual staple of an étouffée is seafood such as crawfish, shrimp, or crabmeat. Other meats, such as chicken, or a combination of chicken and seafood, are also used.

The base of an étouffée is either a dark brown-red roux, a blonde roux (a roux that isn't browned as much) or simply onions cooked down in butter. It is usually seasoned with cayenne pepper, onions, green bell pepper and celery (a.k.a. the holy trinity), garlic, and salt and has a thicker consistency than gumbo. A crawfish étouffée, if made with a roux, usually has a reddish color sometimes attributed to crawfish fat (an important ingredient), which is untrue. Crawfish fat is bright yellow, and will not color the dish red. The red color comes from the dark brown-red roux. Seasonings the crawfish were boiled in could also give the dish a red tint. There is typically no tomato in this dish. However, in some areas it has become popular to add tomatoes or tomato paste to the dish. However, most purists believe that once tomatoes are added, the dish ceases to be a true étouffée, and instead becomes a stew or a creole. In many parts of the country, outside of Louisiana, people make étouffée with cream; however, cream should never be part of a true étouffée.
053107-crayfishetouffee.jpg

Shrimp Etouffee

1½ hours | 20 min prep

SERVES 4 -6
3 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons butter or shortening or oil
1 cup onion, chopped
6 green onions with tops, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped (optional)
2 cups water
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tony chacherie's cajun seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1.Make a roux with the flour and butter by heating the butter and stirring in the flour.
2.On medium low cook the roux until it turns a rich chocolate brown. This will take awhile, maybe 45 minutes to get it right. You don't want it to burn or you can't use it.
3.Keep an eye on it but you don't have to stand over the pot the whole time.
4.When roux is ready:.
5.Add all of the veggies and cook until tender.
6.Stir in the water slowly. When combined with the roux add the parsley, shrimp and seasonings. Cook another 15-20 minutes or until shrimp are done, they will turn pink or red when done. Remove bay leaf. Taste seasonings--you may need to add salt.
7.Serve over hot cooked rice. Now this is when you add a pinch or two of gumbo filet'. You may want to add a splash of Louisiana hot sauce too. I always do. Gumbo filet' is actually sassafras root or bark. I was taught that it is added to your plate and not cooked in with the food.

in the cities, creole food is cooked primarily, and they do add tomato to their etoufee. :smh::smh::smh:

but in bayou country and in SW La (Acadiana), you do as you stated... a dark roux plus crawfish fat. but i have seen some folks sneak a little paprika in it to color it red.

note: if using fresh shrimp, when you peel them, save the shells and heads and make a quick stock. it can be used instead of using water... it adds a lot of depth to the dish.

i made some etoufee last week and had my Mom & Dad in here fighting over the leftovers. :D

:dance::dance::dance:

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
in the cities, creole food is cooked primarily, and they do add tomato to their etoufee. :smh::smh::smh:

but in bayou country and in SW La (Acadiana), you do as you stated... a dark roux plus crawfish fat. but i have seen some folks sneak a little paprika in it to color it red.

note: if using fresh shrimp, when you peel them, save the shells and heads and make a quick stock. it can be used instead of using water... it adds a lot of depth to the dish.

i made some etoufee last week and had my Mom & Dad in here fighting over the leftovers. :D

I'm creole so I love creole cuisines. :yes:

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
Best pork chops I ever had.
72142.jpg

INGREDIENTS

* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 3 tablespoons milk
* 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
* 4 pork chops

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. In a separate small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until lightly browned. Remove garlic, reserving for other uses.
4. Dip each pork chop into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating evenly. Place coated pork chops in the skillet, and brown abut 5 minutes on each side.
5. Place the skillet and pork chops in the preheated oven, and cook 25 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

It doesn't say it in the recipe but season pork chops well with pepper and seasoned salt.

Kats are still fuck'in with pork...SMH!

bearchan

Potential Star
Registered
Anybody got a good recipe for sweet potato fries???

One where they actually come out crispy.

Or any other recipe with sweet potatos that don't involve drowning them in syrup.

Yo man this is my recipe.

DYNAMIC SWEET POTATO FRENCH FRIES
3 large sweet potatoes
1 cup Coleman’s Dynamic Ribb-Rubb Original or Hot-N-Spicy
1 cup Peanut oil(any cooking oil can be substituted)

Preheat oil to 350 degrees. Slice potatoes to French fry size and set aside. Deep fry potatoes until done. Drain excess oil. Toss 3 tablespoons of Coleman’s Dynamic Ribb-Rubb Original or Hot-N-Spicy and potatoes. Add more Rubb as needed.

FlatbushNicca

Star
Registered
SHIT!!!!!!

The other night i brought some RIBEYE STEAKS from COSTCO......I got the blue pack....(USDA PRIME CUT).......That was the BEST GOTDAMN steak i have ever had in a longtime!!

I prepared it:
A lil bit of Kosher Salt and Black Pepper on both sides.....before i put it on the grill i put some fresh butter (salted) a couple pieces and let it cook for about 6 mins on one side.....turned over the steak and put a lil more butter on the other side for another 6-8mins and BAM........take it off and let it sit for 1 min and EAT!!!

Shit was better than any steakhouse steak i have ever had!!
I ate the steak with a Baked potatoe and some grilled Tiger Prongs....:D

Man Costco has some good cuts of meat & seafood.........UNLIKE some SuperMarkets i know that serve the black community DOG CUTS of MEAT!!! :smh::smh:

DoingDamage

Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
SHIT!!!!!!

The other night i brought some RIBEYE STEAKS from COSTCO......I got the blue pack....(USDA PRIME CUT).......That was the BEST GOTDAMN steak i have ever had in a longtime!!

I prepared it:
A lil bit of Kosher Salt and Black Pepper on both sides.....before i put it on the grill i put some fresh butter (salted) a couple pieces and let it cook for about 6 mins on one side.....turned over the steak and put a lil more butter on the other side for another 6-8mins and BAM........take it off and let it sit for 1 min and EAT!!!

Shit was better than any steakhouse steak i have ever had!!
I ate the steak with a Baked potatoe and some grilled Tiger Prongs....:D

Man Costco has some good cuts of meat & seafood.........UNLIKE some SuperMarkets i know that serve the black community DOG CUTS of MEAT!!! :smh::smh:

I cooked a steak for my woman, NY Strip I got from Publix - shit was good.

I put a little light olive oil on both sides, little salt, crushed black pepper, sprinkled a little bit of garlic powder on it. One side of the grill hot (high), other side cool (low). Throw the steak on the hot side diagonally for 3 minutes, then change the position 90 degree (so it can make an X on the meat) for an additional 3 min. Turn the steak over and place on the cool side of the grill and cover the grill for 5 to 7 min.

Meat came out medium well and it was the best steak she had. More seasoned than restaurants, and almost as tender.

DoingDamage

Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Also, quick way to do your vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, etc...

- Get a medium saucepan (8-10 inch) with lid.
- Put about a 3/4 - 1cup of water in it.
- Place on high on the stovetop
- wait until water starts boiling
- Throw vegetables in it, cover saucepan
- After only 3-4 minutes, uncover, take veggies out of water and enjoy

Sometimes, you may wanna add a teaspoon of butter to the water and a dash of salt. The veggies come out firm and cooked, and not overdone.

monsterman

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I live with 3 of my cousins and I'm the only one who knows how to cook. Funny thing is we don't have a stove.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
last month i made what i now call "Dante's Inferno" wings :lol:

make the wings as you normally do(deep fry,bake,broil or grill)

make this sauce in which u puree about 40 of these

66771115_fd1a215430.jpg

3 of these if u can find them
naga_jolokia_.jpg

2 of these
512878471_411e69b54c.jpg

in some vingar then add a couple drops of the Source hot sauce,and coat the wings in it.. one bite will turn you into

Torch_head.jpg
:lol:

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
last month i made what i now call "Dante's Inferno" wings :lol:

make the wings as you normally do(deep fry,bake,broil or grill)

make this sauce in which u puree about 40 of these

66771115_fd1a215430.jpg

3 of these if u can find them
naga_jolokia_.jpg

2 of these
512878471_411e69b54c.jpg

in some vingar then add a couple drops of the Source hot sauce,and coat the wings in it.. one bite will turn you into

Torch_head.jpg
:lol:

are you insane???? WhyTF would you use 40 habenero peppers?????????

and naga jalokia peppers???????????? dude WTF??????

I like hot food but fuck that. Nigga you crazy.

xselent

Star
Registered
LUMPIA

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground pork
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon soy sauce
30 lumpia wrappers
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Add to Recipe Box
Add to Shopping List
Customize Recipe
Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
Place a wok or large skillet over high heat, and pour in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Cook pork, stirring frequently, until no pink is showing. Remove pork from pan and set aside. Drain grease from pan, leaving a thin coating. Cook garlic and onion in the same pan for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pork, carrots, green onions, and cabbage. Season with pepper, salt, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
Place three heaping tablespoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap to retain moisture.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat, add oil to 1/2 inch depth, and heat for 5 minutes. Slide 3 or 4 lumpia into the oil. Fry the rolls for 1 to 2 minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Roti :yes:
2m3n2tz.jpg

The hardest part is to make the Roti (pancake or bread). I can't do that, so I just order them.

Fried Yuca
low_yuca.jpg

Arroz con Gandules
2059301393_8e96eaebe4.jpg

Fried Plantain with honey
platanosfritos6.jpg

Baked Red Snapper
2816774458_2db681d906.jpg

its a cuban dish
i learned to cook from my mom

Sancocho (Dominican Stew)

I've never met anyone that can turn this down, it'll make a vegetarian think twice. :yes:

Sancocho.jpg

I'ma come back to this thread with pics of my daily dinner. I love cooking everyday. I like knowing what goes into my body. I have to prepare for the women of tomorrow (who can't cook for shit!).

Peace

ChickenTikka.jpg

chicken_tikka_masala.jpg

naan-recipe-1-22-07.jpg

aloo-carrot-paratha.jpg

I didn't know they ate roti and curry in the West Indies. I thought it was just a Pakistani thing. Good to see our food traveling the world. :yes:

Recipes for all these dishes right here please. I have friend who does the roti he's Indian his grandma makes that bread good as hell.

Louis Koo

Star
BGOL Investor
Been cooking since I was a kid.
My Moms nearly beat my ASS in the late 60s because I nearly burned the apartment cooking bacon.:lol::lol::lol:

Needless to say, the cooking addiction started from there.

Anything dealing with Rice, Poultry and Seafood are my favorites.

And a big kitchen and top-of-the-line cookware was a MUST with me.
Plus a woman who also cooks is an additional plus.

I used to roll with this Jewish/Mexican chick when I lived out West in the 90s. She was well-traveled. So we would cook all sorts of foreign dishes. Almost every week was a party having folks over. We didn't play when it came to cooking.

Same thing with this Italian Lesbian I used to hang with. She would bake somethings fierce. And I would cook the main dishes. Learn a lot from her too. I had large apartments/townhouses when I lived in Oregon during the 90s. So I'd have people over all the time.

Learned to cook Salmon the RIGHT way from this other chick I was with for a few years too. Also learned to fish for it. And since her family were "sportsmen", I leaned to cook/eat venison.

When I moved back to NYC, I had to sell/give away all my cookware. I had over a 1k worth of shit. I'm talking Analon, Circulon, top Cast Iron, Henkels knives, the works.

I still do cook. Lots of Rice and Poultry dishes.
But my current situation doesn't permit me to go all out like I used to.
:eek: