R.I.P. to Legendary Georgetown coach John Thompson dead at 78

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
@TEN or @slam

Need a merge fam ....

I posted in that thread earlier.

The original title of this thread was distasteful and even the new title of this thread sucks. It should honor the man, it doesn't need to be a 2020 theme post in any way. The thread that got merged into this one had an appropriate title.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
EgxBuB5WsAgsBRV

cocodc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah this hits hard.. especially if you live in the DMV.. not only do i remember him as a coach.. but also a radio host on ESPN980 local station in DMV area... He would call out callers on their BS but also he showed he had a very good sense of humor too.. He made some of these terrible Wizard/Redskin years bareable..LOL

RIP

UNSEEN

Rising Star
OG Investor
RIP..after I heard how he took Iverson in..I always respected coach for that and some of the greatest centers was coached under John Thompson..RIP...

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Man fuck 2020. RIP coach. Thanks for giving us legends and Hall of Famers. You definitely made a difference in the game and life!

Last edited:

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was a football fan going up and never really cared about basketball until I saw the Georgetown/NC championship game. I loved Georgetown and it was because of John Thompson. Even as a teenager I felt the pride of him being the most visible Black coach as well as a great on court coach. I loved Ewing,Motombo,Mourning and of course Iverson because of coach. I used to listen to games on tv he was commentating on cause he was so learned and broke games down so beautifully. This year is taking a bit of our collective souls as Black people losing huge icons. We have had years where we lost people that hurt like 2009 with MJ and 2016 with Prince but never have we had so many in one year. Damn we lost Kobe,Black Panther,John Lewis,Little Richard,now coach Thompson,hell even Herman Cain and so many more due to Covid this year is a bitch.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
When John Thompson's USA basketball team lost in the South Korean
Olympic games in 1988, white American commentators were high fiving
each other under the table...

A towering man, and I remember when his two towers, Billy Owens
and Dikembe Mutombo, terrorised the Big East.. RIP to big man
owens played for syracuse. you meant Alonzo Mourning

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
This is the best John Thompson story I’ve ever heard.

"This is a fast city," said John Duren, one of Thompson's first important players in the late 1970s along with Craig Shelton. "When a young kid comes in this city and he's a star—[Allen] Iverson, Ewing, Alonzo—the top ballplayer is going to meet the thug, the top drug dealer. They shopped for clothes at the same store and ate at the same restaurant, the old Houston's up on Wisconsin [Avenue]. It was just inevitable."

Thompson invited Edmond to his office and lit into him. He told the drug dealer to stay away from his players or suffer the consequences. Edmond, it was said, never associated with a Georgetown player again

"That's about how it went down," Duren said. "Everybody remembers the day Rayful went to Coach's office."

RAY V.

AP 2nd Team All-American
BGOL Investor
Let me see
right off the bat my favorite players from Georgetown BACK IN THE DAY
in no particular order...

Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Dikemba Mutumbo
Allen Iverson
Horace Broadnax
Reggie Williams
Micheal Jackson
Fred Brown
Eric Sleepy Floyd
Micheal Graham

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I was a football fan going up and never really cared about basketball until I saw the Georgetown/NC championship game. I loved Georgetown and it was because of John Thompson. Even as a teenager I felt the pride of him being the most visible Black coach as well as a great on court coach. I loved Ewing,Motombo,Mourning and of course Iverson because of coach. I used to listen to games on tv he was commentating on cause he was so learned and broke games down so beautifully. This year is taking a bit of our collective souls as Black people losing huge icons. We have had years where we lost people that hurt like 2009 with MJ and 2016 with Prince but never have we had so many in one year. Damn we lost Kobe,Black Panther,John Lewis,Little Richard,now coach Thompson,hell even Herman Cain and so many more due to Covid this year is a bitch.
good post. Hell he put the entire big east on the map when you think about it. RIP to coach Thompson, a DC legend.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Let me see
right off the bat my favorite players from Georgetown BACK IN THE DAY
in no particular order...

Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Dikemba Mutumbo
Allen Iverson
Horace Broadnax
Reggie Williams