Would Martin (tv show) fly today?? NOT A REBOOT!! If Martin from the 90s was put on TODAY would BGOL accept it???

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:yes:

They are saying that Will Smith and Duane Martin are lovers.

will-smith-gay-rumors-duane-martin-cover-up-airport-video-pp.jpg

Geez.
Really dude....?
In a thread about reviving and relauching the "Martin" TV show, starring Martin Lawrence not Duane Martin, you do this?
I mean, you actually went outta your way to search the internet so you could proudly post some bullshit gossip like this here?
:hithead:

Damn, this board has really fallen off.... :smh:

Last edited:

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
With trump in office, I doubt Martin--a show about middle, to low, income Black people clowning through life would be successful. Oddly enough, I think The Jeffersons would do really well now.

lightningrodbob76

Veteran Lurker
Platinum Member
I think Martin, Living Single, Married with Children, and a few others shows from that era aged well. The others did not. Part of the appeal of Martin was that it was a reflection, albeit exaggerated, of working and middle class black people in large city. Same goes for the demographic in Living Single and Married With Children.

I think one of the reasons why a show like Martin wouldn't fly today is because of the gap between working/rural class and the middle/city class has widened. And as many of you have stated, the Letter Mob is notoriously sensitive...and has the means to do something abut their hurt feelings.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Unlike yrs ago there's to many platforms for it to be nothing but successful... You got netflix, you got youtube, amazon, etc.. You could actually have him curse and could allow it to be binged watch like many shows of today... A black comedy means pulling in a black consumer base, to many companies would drool at the opportunity to pull him in... Dude wouldve made way more money now off of it... Than thanx to social media people would be posting segments, doing parodies, recommending it to others... It would be spoiler threads, various YouTube critics telling you about upcoming seasons and giving results and reviews... Lot of things from back in the days would be more popular now than b4 thanx to the internet... Martin on Netflix or YouTube man it would be huge

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
:yes:

Geez.
Really dude....?
In a thread about reviving and relauching the "Martin" TV show, starring Martin Lawrence not Duane Martin, you do this?
I mean, you actually went outta your way to search the internet so you could proudly post some bullshit gossip like this here?
:hithead:

Damn, this board has really fallen off.... :smh:

The main character is or was married to Duane. Another 90's icon, was getting cheated on with Will Smith.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
But,Marcy wasn't a gay character though...Sure,the lady that plays her is gay in real life but Marcy wasnt gay..

I think the anti-feminist jokes would make today's women throw a huge fit....imo

Y'all acting like they weren't complaining HEAVY about married with children back then.

Forget social media back in the day

they REALLY mobilized...

Boycotting sponsors and going to government.

It was just a different time.

And i know a lot of people who complained about Martin back then too...

Especially the dress stuff, the physical comedy seen as coonish, the dark skin light skin stuff too....

We just didn't care THAT much.

It was jokes with no malicious intent and it was funny.

Back then?

Being actually FUNNY and getting ratings trumped all.

Sidebar...

Tommy had a job and they showed it on air.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ummm, sorry guys.
You couldn't be MORE wrong about this issue.
They actually DID have an episode dealing with Amanda Bearse being a lesbian. (In spirit)
In the episode: "Lez Be Friends", Al and Marcy's lesbian cousin Mandy (portrayed by Bearse herself) became instant best friends and allies against Marcy. And by then, it was already well known by the general public that Bearse was a lesbian in real life....
zz1122.jpg
latest
286480.jpg

So, yeah. If done right, it could still work on TV today... :dunno:
And if put on a network streaming service like NetFlix, a revisited "Married With Children" series would be an instant ratings hit.... :yes:

Boom

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Nah ,,a lot brothas including myself wouldn't tune in solely due to Sheneneh character. Black men in dresses and feminine acting will not fly today

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah ,,a lot brothas including myself wouldn't tune in solely due to Sheneneh character. Black men in dresses and feminine acting will not fly today
an HONEST answer...finally an answer NOT putting the onus on the fake outrage crowd but acknowledging that YOU...TODAY would have issues with a show like that.

you got cats on here that are constantly howling to the heavens about how black people are seen in the worst way particularly with the stereotype characters and black men in drag yet gave Martin a pass because it came on when they were younger BUT put martin on today...instead of the 90s.. first time in 2019?? nearly everyone here would be crying foul. And those that DIDN'T would be deemed coons.. :giggle:

There is NO WAY seeing martin in drag today would be acceptable to the cats here...NOT the same cats who adhere to the conspiracy theory that a black man in a dress PERIOD is emasculating.

That right there would be a HUGE issue that many cats here are conveniently ignoring now....and that's not the PC snowflakes....that's YOU reading this post now...

if YOU saw THIS for the first time in the 21st century....
tenor.gif

you going to HONESTLY say your giving it a pass???

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Yep it would.. put that bish right on netflix and let the voting begin....

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hell yeah that shit would work. not on regular tv tho. with a comedian as strong as martin and the internet and social media i think it could be more popular than it was back then

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Unlike yrs ago there's to many platforms for it to be nothing but successful... You got netflix, you got youtube, amazon, etc.. You could actually have him curse and could allow it to be binged watch like many shows of today... A black comedy means pulling in a black consumer base, to many companies would drool at the opportunity to pull him in... Dude wouldve made way more money now off of it... Than thanx to social media people would be posting segments, doing parodies, recommending it to others... It would be spoiler threads, various YouTube critics telling you about upcoming seasons and giving results and reviews... Lot of things from back in the days would be more popular now than b4 thanx to the internet... Martin on Netflix or YouTube man it would be huge
Yep it would.. put that bish right on netflix and let the voting begin....
hell yeah that shit would work. not on regular tv tho. with a comedian as strong as martin and the internet and social media i think it could be more popular than it was back then
I think you guys are too caught up in the nostalgia for the show and you're not wrapping your imagination around what I'm saying.

you got cats on here that are constantly howling to the heavens about how black people are seen in the worst way particularly with the stereotype characters and black men in drag yet gave Martin a pass because it came on when they were younger.

BUT put martin on today...instead of the 90s.. first time in 2019?? nearly everyone here would be crying foul. And those that DIDN'T would be deemed coons... :giggle:

There is NO WAY seeing martin in drag today would be acceptable to the cats here...NOT the same cats who adhere to the conspiracy theory that a black man in a dress PERIOD is emasculating.

That right there would be a HUGE issue that many cats here are conveniently ignoring now....and that's not the PC snowflakes....that's YOU reading this post now...

if YOU saw THIS for the first time in the 21st century...
tenor.gif

you going to HONESTLY say you're giving it a pass???

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I think you guys are too caught up in the nostalgia for the show and you're not wrapping your imagination around what I'm saying.

you got cats on here that are constantly howling to the heavens about how black people are seen in the worst way particularly with the stereotype characters and black men in drag yet gave Martin a pass because it came on when they were younger.

BUT put martin on today...instead of the 90s.. first time in 2019?? nearly everyone here would be crying foul. And those that DIDN'T would be deemed coons... :giggle:

tenor.gif

You know what u got me with the dress part... but actually that would be the only part.. even though that would be an issue on nextflix i would still give it a shot just cause hes black... i tried with many other shows until they literally put some fags on the show! Hell i watched Madea with Tyler Perry... n i still found it entertaining...

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

tenor.gif

there's more fags now than ever b4, more ethnic groups that enjoy black comedy... There's no name people with zero budgets that are getting close to half a million views or more on YouTube and ig from mini skits ...so imagine a comedy with a real backing and promotion getting pushed on various internet media outlets and how much more viewership it would get ... Big jah getting half a million views and he's an independent comedian... Imagine a known comedian getting pushed... You try to point out the man in the dress thing but that aint stopping Tyler Perry from making hundred million dollar movies... Remember this people are paying to see him in a dress so imagine content that is free or you can easily get to... So once again he would prob be bigger now than ever b4... Remember "world wide web" also means access to other countries/ continents. His show could be seen elsewhere unlike when he was limited to the states..you on the internet and still can't grasp the concept

8/11Streetz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Exactly.

I just watched an episode of "Married With Children", in which Peggy told Al that he, "Looked like a fruit", because of an effeminate hair style he was sporting. And mind you, it was on a network where that kind of language IN PARTICULAR would be considered offensive.

So, yeah.
Martin would catch some flack from the bullshit "Woke" SJW's, but it couldn't possibly be any worse than the flack that I imagine Family Guy or American Dad still gets for their irreverent brands of humor. :dunno:

Am I tripping or didn’t Martin have a episode where he called some one a sissy????

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the question is why did we accept it just 20 years ago??
we're not talking about the 1800s or 1930s jim crow era....that was 1996...think about that..
Actually I think no one was paying any attention to it back then. I never paid any attention to it until I just read it on here. And it is true.
Another thing I personally think we have never paid any attention to is the fact that for generations we have been living by fear. We may not see it or feel it but it is there. Our fear of unemployment, our fear of imprisonment, our fear of death etc. If not the people ruling would not be such big devils. I sometimes believe that is why every president sworn into office was on hard drugs at the time that they was in office. It seems to go along with the job just like it did with Hitler and Jim Jones. And both of these two were racist to their heart. One showed his racism at first (Hitler) but later modified it. But Jim Jones hid his racism until it is to late for those associated with him. Another thing is that power has hard prejudice against real blackness. Every president sworn into office they reveal secrets to that person about black people. It was the same during Hitler rule and it was true in Jonestown even though he would act like he was for blacks he was blacks worse enemy in disguise. It is the same with all of so called humanity right now except for a small 5 percent.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
there's more fags now than ever b4, more ethnic groups that enjoy black comedy... There's no name people with zero budgets that are getting close to half a million views or more on YouTube and ig from mini skits ...so imagine a comedy with a real backing and promotion getting pushed on various internet media outlets and how much more viewership it would get ... Big jah getting half a million views and he's an independent comedian... Imagine a known comedian getting pushed... You try to point out the man in the dress thing but that aint stopping Tyler Perry from making hundred million dollar movies... Remember this people are paying to see him in a dress so imagine content that is free or you can easily get to... So once again he would prob be bigger now than ever b4... Remember "world wide web" also means access to other countries/ continents. His show could be seen elsewhere unlike when he was limited to the states..you on the internet and still can't grasp the concept
while what your saying is true...the reality is Martin was able to get over the way it did becuz there was no social media in the 90s but NOW people have a platform to express their opinion and that can gain momentum and form a backlash in ways not possible in 1996. So I guess I should have been more specific in that Martin would most likely work today but it wouldn't be a popular show on BGOL or much of the black blogosphere who have issues with men in drag and the exaggerated portrayal of black people. The crowd that WOULD embrace martin if it DEBUTED today is the same crowd that embraces perry and td jakes and what not...thats NOT people on broads like Bgol.

And for the cats on here saying it would be a hit they KNOW the second they saw martin dressed as some chicken headed ghetto chick, the channel would be turned and the thread started on why is martin lawrence playing into the emasculation of the black man?

Jay Ringo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
anyone knows what scenes sparked the sexual harassment case? I remember someone posting the bedroom scene awhile back but cant find it.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
anyone knows what scenes sparked the sexual harassment case? I remember someone posting the bedroom scene awhile back but cant find it.