Would Martin (tv show) fly today?? NOT A REBOOT!! If Martin from the 90s was put on TODAY would BGOL accept it???

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1505271-511931.jpg

would THIS ^^^^SHOW last on the air today as long as it did in the 90s?? considering

• Martin Lawrence in drag 2 TIMES with his mother and Shenana
  • Shenana being a stereotyped hoodrat
  • Martin's love interest is, of course, a light-skinned girl
  • Gina's dark skin friend Pam is loud, confrontational, and can't keep a man
  • Martin is constantly attacking Pam mainly in stereotyped ways especially about her KINKY HAIR (beady bead, buck shots, peas, nappy, etc)
  • Tommy is a black man with no discernable employment
  • Cole another black man is stupid
  • Martin doing white face

DOES ANY OF THIS FLY IN 2019????

Attachments

• martin.jpg
    martin.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 97,010
Last edited:

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
It could still exist but the “woke” Twitter crowd Would stay shitting on it. It wouldn’t last as long in TV.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think people are being honest with themselves... You all are looking at the show thru the lens of nostalgia and in that context the show isn't offensive. BUT if you've NEVER SEEN THE SHOW before and saw a sitcom premiere that showed all the things listed above in 2019 do YOU honestly believe you'd accept that show??

HONESTLY.

Last edited:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why not? Hell, reruns of 30 and 40 year old comedy shows like Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, The Cosby Show are still being watched and enjoyed today :hmm:
Exactly.

I just watched an episode of "Married With Children", in which Peggy told Al that he, "Looked like a fruit", because of an effeminate hair style he was sporting. And mind you, it was on a network where that kind of language IN PARTICULAR would be considered offensive.

So, yeah.
Martin would catch some flack from the bullshit "Woke" SJW's, but it couldn't possibly be any worse than the flack that I imagine Family Guy or American Dad still gets for their irreverent brands of humor. :dunno:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Exactly.

I just watched an episode of "Married With Children", in which Peggy told Al that he, "Looked like a fruit", because of an effeminate hair style he was sporting. And mind you, it was on a network where that kind of language IN PARTICULAR would be considered offensive.

So, yeah.
Martin would catch some flack from the bullshit "Woke" SJW's, but it couldn't possibly be any worse than the flack that I imagine Family Guy or American Dad still gets for their irreverent brands of humor. :dunno:

Married With Children wouldn't last a season now...especially, when the show introduced NO MA'AM....

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
if they cut back on the fat jokes, it could last. The LBGwhatever has a representative in Marcy. That's all a show needs to survive these days, a gay character.

But,Marcy wasn't a gay character though...Sure,the lady that plays her is gay in real life but Marcy wasnt gay..

I think the anti-feminist jokes would make today's women throw a huge fit....imo

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
different time
different sensibilities

I think the biggest issue would be the constant body shaming of a female character

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
But,Marcy wasn't a gay character though...Sure,the lady that plays her is gay in real life but Marcy wasnt gay..

I think the anti-feminist jokes would make today's women throw a huge fit....imo
ha ha, you right. they'd probably have to make her gay on the show.

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
idk if it would but I would think for the most part it would. simply because that corny Madea style of comedy is still very much a part of Black American humor. A black man dressing as Shanaynay is still a funny thing for i say most. Not as many as the 90s tho. Alot of Black Americans have raised the bar of funny and conciousness has grown. But when i watched Madea and wondered how could this shitty movie be so popular i realized we got a long way to go before everyones humor level is raised past the church.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
It wouldn't last as long because tv shows in general don't last as long as they used to. Also, sitcoms aren't nearly as popular as they were in the 1990s. Especially sitcoms with laugh tracks.

widespread use of the internet alone would have changed a lot of the episodes far more than cultural norms. For instance, Snoop Dogg would have never made it out of Martin's apartment alive once somebody Instagramed a selfie with him at the party. Pam would have easily found a man through eHarmony. if anyone's car broke down in a strange town they could call a tow truck on their phone and find a location with GPS. The trope of a terrible hotel room would have been quashed by a few bad Yelp reviews.

I don't think the lgbtq community would have had too much problem with Martin doing drag because even to this day many Black performers still has to do it at some point. Tyler Perry did it for an entire series of movies.

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
if they cut back on the fat jokes, it could last. The LBGwhatever has a representative in Marcy. That's all a show needs to survive these days, a gay character.
She wasnt gay on the show though. She was bout getting dicked down by Jefferson :lol:

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dunno man. It's comedy. Not to be take seriously. And to be honest, when we look at Blackish, which really brings a lot of conversations between white and blacks to the forefront, I am surprised it still runs. It points out disparities and a lot of times paints white folks with a broad fucked up brush. I like the show, its honest. Martin, its just straight comedy. Some would say he cooning, but comedy. I mean when we look at Friends, Joey was dumb as hell and that flightly ass white broad and not to mention, no black people or hispanics. Threes Company with Jack Tripper, that blond broad on there, she was dumb as fuck, no minorities here either. And yes we do tell nappy headed jokes amongst ourselves. Kikabugs and burnt rice, taco meat, all that shit, so be it. Not sure if it would get on the air. Then lets not forget about Archie Bunker and The Jeffersons. Sherman told a lot of honky jokes.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
the question is why did we accept it just 20 years ago??
we're not talking about the 1800s or 1930s jim crow era....that was 1996...think about that..

Shit was needed and it still is for today! All these cornball ass shows on tv that white folk love but we can’t get a decent comedy sitcom? Hell yes, black folk still on the struggle and if we can’t relate to it we rarely watch it, if we do, not for long. Hell Martin was about us. Black folks in a real relationship, none of that Cosby bullshit. Who gets along with their lady or wife ALL the fucking time?:rolleyes2:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

ha ha, you right. they'd probably have to make her gay on the show.
She wasnt gay on the show though. She was bout getting dicked down by Jefferson :lol:
Ummm, sorry guys.
You couldn't be MORE wrong about this issue.
They actually DID have an episode dealing with Amanda Bearse being a lesbian. (In spirit)
In the episode: "Lez Be Friends", Al and Marcy's lesbian cousin Mandy (portrayed by Bearse herself) became instant best friends and allies against Marcy. And by then, it was already well known by the general public that Bearse was a lesbian in real life....
zz1122.jpg
latest
286480.jpg

So, yeah. If done right, it could still work on TV today... :dunno:
And if put on a network streaming service like NetFlix, a revisited "Married With Children" series would be an instant ratings hit.... :yes:

Last edited:

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
If Martin premiered today, it would be The Shenaynay Show.

Like that episode when he was Shenaynay the whole episode, that would be most of the episodes, and Martin would be the side character, and the show would be shot from Shenaynay's perspective. Because it fits right in with the agenda to effeminize the masculine black male and the gay agenda, too. Gay ass studio execs would eat that shit up.

That would be the only difference.

All the other points the OP mentioned, nobody gets mad about those things.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gossip? My bad, there is a thread talking about her divorce from Duane that I should've posted in.