Who is your one 1 pound for pound fighter* and why?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I will say this if Floyd dominates then yes, but if Pac also dominates then that will add some wrinkles to the debate. If Floyd has trouble, but gets a close win then... Shit even if JMM wins it will make it tough.

That's interesting. If that's how people want to view it then that is cool. I will be blown away if PBF loses to a guy nobody even talked about as a top fighter a year ago/ The win against Ortiz means nothing unless Ortiz shows us he deserves to be in the ring with PBF. Where would Ortiz be ranked if he won the fight. Seeing how a win over Berto and PBF would be on some crazy stuff.

Floyd will be ranked over the Pac/JMM winner (assuming he wins) because he would be beating the ranked top welterweight in the world while Pac would be beating a heavy Marquez.

Now that I think about it though, Marquez might have a serious argument for p4p if he wins, no matter what happens with Mayweather/Ortiz. Considering his activity and he would be overcoming Roach's bullshit, I would rank him over Floyd myself.

:dunno:

I'm just not buying what he's selling...Here's his list of fights since 08: Pascal, Taylor, Direll, Kessler, Abraham, and Glen Johnson. Of those fights, one could say his most impressive win was against Taylor...I have Jermain low on my list for good fighters and it has been so since the first Hopkins fight. The Pascal and Direll fights were in the UK, and I saw the Direll fight...Froch was getting flustered most of the fight and he still got the decision :confused:

That leaves Kessler, Abraham, and Glen Johnson. Lost against Kessler, then beat Abraham by outsmarting him the whole fight (I say this was his best performance IMO) then beat Glen...Maybe it is the division, but compared to some of the others out there, only the weight classes from 125 to 147 have more good fighters to choose from...

Maybe this fight against Ward will convince me otherwise...

That's where I am on Froch. Even in the Taylor victory, he didn't look all that impressive and if Jermain had boxed smarter in the final round, he would have won and we wouldn't be talking so much about Carl Froch.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Floyd will be ranked over the Pac/JMM winner (assuming he wins) because he would be beating the ranked top welterweight in the world while Pac would be beating a heavy Marquez.

Now that I think about it though, Marquez might have a serious argument for p4p if he wins, no matter what happens with Mayweather/Ortiz. Considering his activity and he would be overcoming Roach's bullshit, I would rank him over Floyd myself.

I don't see a way for Pac to dominate Marquez short of a brutal ko in the first few rounds. So I will give Pac major points if he dominates Marquez. People are sleeping on what this fight means if Marquez wins... It'll be funny if he wins and demands a rematch with with Floyd. I would have to give him a ridiculous amount of respect just the balls of that move, but more than likely Pac Marquez four would have to be must leaving Floyd out there for the 140 guys.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't see a way for Pac to dominate Marquez short of a brutal ko in the first few rounds. So I will give Pac major points if he dominates Marquez. People are sleeping on what this fight means if Marquez wins... It'll be funny if he wins and demands a rematch with with Floyd. I would have to give him a ridiculous amount of respect just the balls of that move, but more than likely Pac Marquez four would have to be must leaving Floyd out there for the 140 guys.

I agree. A Marquez win would be monumental especially with the way they've stacked it to work against him. Him winning here would give everyone that thought he won the first two fights all kinds of ammunition.
I don't think he would be looking for a rematch with Mayweather though. A fourth fight between them would be far more likely.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I agree. A Marquez win would be monumental especially with the way they've stacked it to work against him. Him winning here would give everyone that thought he won the first two fights all kinds of ammunition.
I don't think he would be looking for a rematch with Mayweather though. A fourth fight between them would be far more likely.

I honestly dont see JMM having much of a chance. Manny is so much a better fighter now. I dont see how jmm who had 2 chances to get a win didnt, will beat Manny. It can happen though. But I expect it to be a replay of the hatton or oscar fight.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I honestly dont see JMM having much of a chance. Manny is so much a better fighter now. I dont see how jmm who had 2 chances to get a win didnt, will beat Manny. It can happen though. But I expect it to be a replay of the hatton or oscar fight.

Manny is a better fighter but, skill wise, he wasn't nearly as good as Marquez. The one thing he had was punching power enough to topple JMM and that was the difference in both fights. So his improvement just makes him a little bit closer.
For him to dominate JMM like he did Oscar and Ricky would be more a sign that Marquez is washed up.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I doubt a rematch with Floyd is in anyone's mind, but if Marquez wanted it just cause he thinks he needs to avenge that loss. The balls for that move would be tremendous in this age of people avoiding any type of tough fight.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I doubt a rematch with Floyd is in anyone's mind, but if Marquez wanted it just cause he thinks he needs to avenge that loss. The balls for that move would be tremendous in this age of people avoiding any type of tough fight.

I would agree with this more but Shane Mosley was talking about fighting Mayweather again after he beat Pacquiao so it's not an act of courage to want to cash in on the Mayweather money train.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
For him to dominate JMM like he did Oscar and Ricky would be more a sign that Marquez is washed up.

This is what confuses me about how some fans think. Some fans think pbf had a great performance against shane. I think he beat a beaten fighter. Shane for the most part looked like he was on the tail end of his career. So when he fought pbf it validated his days were over. At least to me. But then I read that if JMM loses to manny it is because he is washed up. To discredit a win with that excuse when there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that is crazy. JMM is a top fighter and still performing better than most fighters. If he does get smashed maybe it is more about manny and the weight than him being washed up.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
This is what confuses me about how some fans think. Some fans think pbf had a great performance against shane. I think he beat a beaten fighter. Shane for the most part looked like he was on the tail end of his career. So when he fought pbf it validated his days were over. At least to me. But then I read that if JMM loses to manny it is because he is washed up. To discredit a win with that excuse when there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that is crazy. JMM is a top fighter and still performing better than most fighters. If he does get smashed maybe it is more about manny and the weight than him being washed up.

Way to completely misstate what I said even though you quoted it. I said "dominate". In two previous fights with Marquez, Pacquaio was lucky to get a draw in the first and eked out a narrow victory in the second, a fight where he was again outboxed but again got a knockdown. For him to now dominate that same guy who has shown no signs of slowdown except in a fight where he was supposed to lose (the Mayweather fight)would mean that that fighter is slipping with some credit given to the weight (which was done purposely to give Manny an advantage).
That said, you are alone in expecting a Pacquiao domination.

Mayweather didn't have a great performance against Shane? Here was a guy who destroyed his last opponent and was the one guy everyone wanted to see Floyd fight, even more than wanted to see him fight Pacquiao. Floyd's great moment was taking two hard shots and still coming on strong by the end of the second round and winning every minute of every round afterward.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Way to completely misstate what I said even though you quoted it. I said "dominate". In two previous fights with Marquez, Pacquaio was lucky to get a draw in the first and eked out a narrow victory in the second, a fight where he was again outboxed but again got a knockdown. For him to now dominate that same guy who has shown no signs of slowdown except in a fight where he was supposed to lose (the Mayweather fight)would mean that that fighter is slipping with some credit given to the weight (which was done purposely to give Manny an advantage).
That said, you are alone in expecting a Pacquiao domination.

Mayweather didn't have a great performance against Shane? Here was a guy who destroyed his last opponent and was the one guy everyone wanted to see Floyd fight, even more than wanted to see him fight Pacquiao. Floyd's great moment was taking two hard shots and still coming on strong by the end of the second round and winning every minute of every round afterward.

I thought it was pretty much understood that Shane was done by the time when Pac called him out even then motherfuckers wanted to argue that shit... I'm just confused how people will even defend that fight to this day while shitting on the fact that Floyd beat him...

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Shane had no room to talk when he couldn't beat Mora.

Shane got lucky against mayorga and beat antonio, but it was clear to everyone he hasnt been elite for years. That loss to pbf exposed his level to the boxing world.

I expect manny to dominate jmm. To me he is just that stronger and a much better fighter now. When manny does dominate him it will be because of that.

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
I thought it was pretty much understood that Shane was done by the time when Pac called him out even then motherfuckers wanted to argue that shit... I'm just confused how people will even defend that fight to this day while shitting on the fact that Floyd beat him...

That was a fuck move to placate Manny's fans who didn't like Hopkins calling out the fact that Manny had never fought a black fighter. After the Mora fight Arum was talking about how Shane looked awful and needed to retire, couple months later he was a dangerous opponent for Manny - gtfoh.:smh:

As far as Shane/PBF - Floyd did to Shane what he does to every fighter, so I guess every fighter that Floyd has fought has been washed up.:rolleyes:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Shane got lucky against mayorga and beat antonio, but it was clear to everyone he hasnt been elite for years. That loss to pbf exposed his level to the boxing world.

This is so clear to you now, but when I was saying Pac was the real fight... you were talking about Shane and Floyd ducking him to fight another small guy. The fight that Floyd said he wanted was such a bad idea then and yet, now you are saying this so definitively that Shane was done.

Last edited:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
This is so clear to you now, but when I was saying Pac was the real fight... you were talking about Shane and Floyd ducking him to fight another small guy. The fight that Floyd said he wanted was such a bad idea then and yet, now you are saying this so definitively that Shane was done.

No the shane and manny fight was as much as a dude as the pbf and shane fight. Shane was a shell of his former self. And those fights were just sticking a name on the resume. I mean you saw the figt with him and pbf. That shane was horrible.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
That was a fuck move to placate Manny's fans who didn't like Hopkins calling out the fact that Manny had never fought a black fighter. After the Mora fight Arum was talking about how Shane looked awful and needed to retire, couple months later he was a dangerous opponent for Manny - gtfoh.:smh:

As far as Shane/PBF - Floyd did to Shane what he does to every fighter, so I guess every fighter that Floyd has fought has been washed up.:rolleyes:

I think it is true that you are as good as your last fight. I will say this if Shane was washed up.... the fuck does that say about Margarito? Yet, Margarito v Cotto is supposed to be a good fight... these days.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I think it is true that you are as good as your last fight. I will say this if Shane was washed up.... the fuck does that say about Margarito? Yet, Margarito v Cotto is supposed to be a good fight... these days.

I dont get what shane being washed up has to do with the other fight.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
You don't understand how a washed up fighter destroying a guy would make that same guy's fights less worth while.

I dont understand what shae being washed up has to do with the cotto and margarito fight. Explain the connection for me.

Still laughing at merce trying to act like cause I said shane was washed up. That somehow meqnt I was saying all pbf opponents were washed up. Very funny reach.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I dont understand what shae being washed up has to do with the cotto and margarito fight. Explain the connection for me.

Still laughing at merce trying to act like cause I said shane was washed up. That somehow meqnt I was saying all pbf opponents were washed up. Very funny reach.

Really... if old "horseshoe in my oven mitts" can't handle a washed up fighter enough not to get knocked out... how can he handle anyone worth mentioning without those nintendo power gloves?

Is it that hard to follow. If Floyd had such an easy fight against Shane and anyone could see that then Shane must have beaten a bum in Margarito. Why would anyone want to see a bum fight anyone who is decent and then it's PPV. What is your educational background?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Really... if old "horseshoe in my oven mitts" can't handle a washed up fighter enough not to get knocked out... how can he handle anyone worth mentioning without those nintendo power gloves?

Is it that hard to follow. If Floyd had such an easy fight against Shane and anyone could see that then Shane must have beaten a bum in Margarito. Why would anyone want to see a bum fight anyone who is decent and then it's PPV. What is your educational background?

We really are having this discussion? Really? If fighter a beats fighter b. That does not mean fighter c who beat fighter a would also beat fighter b.It just means fighter c beat fighter a. Thats it. Each fight tells its own story. You never know until they get in the ring. Shane lost to cotto and barely won his figt with mayorga. Shane's fight against antonio was do or die. He won. But his skills were on the decline. And that was shown as earlier as the first vargas fight. Talent helped him. But the years and skill decline caught with him and was put on blast against pbf then mora. He is done.

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
We really are having this discussion? Really? If fighter a beats fighter b. That does not mean fighter c who beat fighter a would also beat fighter b.It just means fighter c beat fighter a. Thats it. Each fight tells its own story. You never know until they get in the ring.

This is why talking to you is fun. We can't use other perfomances as a guage, but Shane getting lucky against Mayorga is worth mentioning. I understand that previous fights doesn't tell you everthing, but unlike you I don't have access to Shane's training camps to see he isn't elite any more... oh, wait... if you don't have access then maybe you are basing it on his fights. I know styles make fights, but when your sstyle is hitting motherfuckers with a brick, you can't do that any more and washed up niggas are dusting you off... then it is safe to say you won't look good against a decent fighter.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I dont get what shane being washed up has to do with the other fight.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether a fight will be good or not. Gatti and Ward had great fights together and they were practically glorified bums with several losses and shoddy performances each. Emmanuel Augustus was another bum that was in good fights. Glen Johnson was considered slightly better than a bum prior to beating Roy Jones and he's been in many good fights. I agree, one thing has nothing to do with the other in terms of whether a particular fight will be good or not. I am almost 100% sure that if I buy the Margarito-Cotto fight that I will see a good fight.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

That's where I am on Froch. Even in the Taylor victory, he didn't look all that impressive and if Jermain had boxed smarter in the final round, he would have won and we wouldn't be talking so much about Carl Froch.

The thing that gets to me is, the double standard set with everybody else as opposed to Floyd. Here we are, picking apart Froch's previous opponents, Manny's opponents, but... here we are, losing our minds that Floyd is fighting Ortiz, such a huge challenge, oh, and he's a ranked welterweight, etc.... :confused: We neglect to point out that, he beat BERTO, who while he was good, was still relatively unproven, not like he beat a fighter who thoroughly dominated the best in the division for a period of time, plus this is the same Ortiz who quit against Maidana, etc?!?! So, what about Floyd beating Ortiz should guarantee him a spot over the Marquez/Manny winner, when both of them have been consistently winning lately? What is so different about Floyd beating Ortiz, against the level of competition , ranking and talent Froch has been beating regularly? Double standards abound on BGOL... seriously... And before I get the noise, this is not an anti-Floyd rant, this is speaking of the observations of the hypocritical mindset of most of BGOL... :smh:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
The thing that gets to me is, the double standard set with everybody else as opposed to Floyd. Here we are, picking apart Froch's previous opponents, Manny's opponents, but... here we are, losing our minds that Floyd is fighting Ortiz, such a huge challenge, oh, and he's a ranked welterweight, etc.... :confused: We neglect to point out that, he beat BERTO, who while he was good, was still relatively unproven, not like he beat a fighter who thoroughly dominated the best in the division for a period of time, plus this is the same Ortiz who quit against Maidana, etc?!?! So, what about Floyd beating Ortiz should guarantee him a spot over the Marquez/Manny winner, when both of them have been consistently winning lately? What is so different about Floyd beating Ortiz, against the level of competition , ranking and talent Froch has been beating regularly? Double standards abound on BGOL... seriously... And before I get the noise, this is not an anti-Floyd rant, this is speaking of the observations of the hypocritical mindset of most of BGOL... :smh:

I've made that argument and I was never a fan of the Ortiz pick. I think cats have always put this unrealistic value in side line issues being bigger factors than they should be. Some do it with weight, age, and etc., but the focus should be skill. Ortiz is a b level fighter at best, and yes, is logical choice within Floyd's options, but Pac or Marquez gets more points for beating the other. Its just Pac is in the negative column for his last few fights and a dominant performance would push him ahead for me. A war with a slim victory isn't enough imo. If Marquez wins it is obvious that he is the king.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Of course I think differently. I feel like if JMM somehow wins I would just move him in a tie for the top with Manny. For the reason it took him his third fight with Manny to get his first win. And Manny losing to a top 5 fighter & hall of famer that he has a draw and a win over already. Is a much better fight than PBF and a guy who might be in the top 15-15 range of p4p fighters. If that.

To me the PBF-Ortiz fight is just a showcase to see if PBF still has it. And if he does. Then he needs to take a meaningful fight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Of course I think differently. I feel like if JMM somehow wins I would just move him in a tie for the top with Manny. For the reason it took him his third fight with Manny to get his first win. And Manny losing to a top 5 fighter & hall of famer that he has a draw and a win over already. Is a much better fight than PBF and a guy who might be in the top 15-15 range of p4p fighters. If that.

To me the PBF-Ortiz fight is just a showcase to see if PBF still has it. And if he does. Then he needs to take a meaningful fight.

like Margarito:lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I can't think of a fighter, on this board, who's opponents have been more picked apart than Floyd Mayweather. Even in threads about other fighters, we end up going on about Floyd Mayweather (is it happening in the Vitali thread? I haven't checked yet).
I don't make p4p lists, sports writers do and from what I've seen, Floyd would go back to the top if he beats Ortiz. The p4p list has been more about who won last. The winner of Pac/JMM would probably top it since their fight comes later.

No, like Manny, Timothy, or Khan. But we know most likely it will be Alexander.

:hmm: So it would be better for Floyd to fight any one of these smaller fighters than to beat the top welterweight again, one coming off an exciting, brutal victory? I thought we were against Floyd fighting smaller guys?

Oracle21

Star
Registered
Froch has so much heart I just think that Ward will beat him. We are seeing a legend in the making with Ward. He isnt the flashiest but he is so damn effective with his movement and ring iq. dude is a beast. Froch on the other hand is a warrior. he just will be outclassed. Bute hasnt fought anyone so he stays out of my top 3 supper middleweight rankings.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I can't think of a fighter, on this board, who's opponents have been more picked apart than Floyd Mayweather. Even in threads about other fighters, we end up going on about Floyd Mayweather (is it happening in the Vitali thread? I haven't checked yet).
I don't make p4p lists, sports writers do and from what I've seen, Floyd would go back to the top if he beats Ortiz. The p4p list has been more about who won last. The winner of Pac/JMM would probably top it since their fight comes later.

:hmm: So it would be better for Floyd to fight any one of these smaller fighters than to beat the top welterweight again, one coming off an exciting, brutal victory? I thought we were against Floyd fighting smaller guys?

No doubt, but, I do believe I've been objective in that I am not a I love Manny, I hate Floyd thought process. I've stated on more than one occasion that I believe both of them are FOS and need to be called on it. I do believe thought, that there is a lot of Anti-Floyd sentiment covertly displayed in the media... Yeah, they will probably boost him in the P4P ratings, etc., but I believe they all ultimately want to see him lose... which is why I believe they keep doing what they are as well, to sort of pad his ego and 'guide' him into a fight with Manny. Do i believe, by body of work Floyd deserves top recognition, absolutely, but I believe the current P4P rankings should be reserved to recognize the guys who are currently fighting and performing well... not based on past accomplishments or talent level only...

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
No, like Manny, Timothy, or Khan. But we know most likely it will be Alexander.

Have you noticed that the crew disagrees on a ton of shit, but most of our c/s come from pointing out your bullshit. I'll c/s Dave's point. Margarito is the bigger fighter so it should be the bigger challenge and a good fight cause anything could happen right? I just going with thing you've said.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Have you noticed that the crew disagrees on a ton of shit, but most of our c/s come from pointing out your bullshit. I'll c/s Dave's point. Margarito is the bigger fighter so it should be the bigger challenge and a good fight cause anything could happen right? I just going with thing you've said.

:lol: