What Does It Take To Make An Effective Boycott Or Demonstration?

AwesomeBods

Support BGOL
Registered
A Call for all African-americans to Participate in National Black Out Day!

WHO: WARREN BALLENTINE, AL SHARPTON, MARTIN LUTHER KING III & MANY OTHERS

WHAT: The National Blackout is necessary for African Americans & oppressed citizens, and is long over due. Especially with all the present injustices that are being allowed and accepted in America right now. From the situation with Mychal Bell and the Jena 6, Genarlow Wilson, Megan Williams, and all of the nooses being hung all of America lately. Until we have federal legislation regarding hate crimes as African Americans we need to band together to show our "Economic Power" by refusing to spend ANY money in the United States on November 2nd.

WHY: As African Americans we spend an estimated 715 billion dollars a year, and if we were to stop spending for one day that will be 2 billion dollars that will not be in the system. However we ask that you don’t make a mad dash to the stores days prior or the days following. If the stores have a major increase in sales right before or right after the Blackout than we will create the impact we need.

WHEN: Friday, November 2, 2007

WHERE: Nationwide! This take place in any community or town where you normally shop.

** Make sure you spread the word thru out your community! **

Click image below for more details...

Break_Bread

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: A Call for all African-americans to Participate in National Black Out Day!

Please steer me in the right direction. We are a have it now society so how can we expect people not to rush to the stores b4 or after the black out date? I just can't see this making a big impact.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Deciding who's effective and who's not is one of the burdens of leadership. A new Black gentry would have to set the standards for our reps and if they don't meet them then it's up to the new leaders to get rid of them. Lets face it our Black reps have sold us out. They have become part of the problem, most of them get re-elected because they have the civil rights groups, churches, frats and sororities backing them, too many of us stay away from the polls because we lost faith. A new era of Black leadership has got to challenge the status quo, they have got to assert themselves I didn't say it would be easy but it can be done. Matter of fact if we don't do it nobody else will.

Like I said if you had the records of those Reps and did a survey of their districts you could see who's working and who's not. You could then assemble a online team to register new voters in those districts and vote in new leaders. If just one pol was voted out it would send a message to both political parties and they would change the way they do business.

theres a bit of confusion in the first part...who is a leader?
I thought a councilperson or assemblymen or representative WAS a leader in the community...

If those people aren't doing their job then WE as the people they represent must remove them with our voting power. Not wait or rely on ANOTHER group of "leaders" to organize and do that.

BUT I DO like your second part...the frats and soros and other community organizations can use the interent and mail survey to determine if the people are happy with the politician in their district and thereby establishing a checking system that can keep progress flowing in the community.

nittie

Star
Registered
theres a bit of confusion in the first part...who is a leader?
I thought a councilperson or assemblymen or representative WAS a leader in the community...

If those people aren't doing their job then WE as the people they represent must remove them with our voting power. Not wait or rely on ANOTHER group of "leaders" to organize and do that.

I think this is the heart of our problem. The idea that our reps are leaders, they are not they are representatives of our community there's a big difference. A leader creates a plan, agenda, vision for the community and a rep makes sure those plans are carried out. Compare how we do business compared to other communities. Usually the leaders are the business people, they make sure business is protected and back candidates to represent their concerns. With us it's the other way around, a candidate appoints himself leader and goes off on his own agenda our community suffers for it.

For instance, yesterday BET did a story about Koreans controlling 84% of the Black hair care business, that's unbelievable but it's true. That happens because we don't have leadership much less a plan for keeping money in our community. I know we have discussed gentrification on this board several times. In effect, we, a bunch of people sitting at computers shooting the bull, probably have a better idea on this matter than our reps.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think this is the heart of our problem. The idea that our reps are leaders, they are not they are representatives of our community there's a big difference. A leader creates a plan, agenda, vision for the community and a rep makes sure those plans are carried out. Compare how we do business compared to other communities. Usually the leaders are the business people, they make sure business is protected and back candidates to represent their concerns. With us it's the other way around, a candidate appoints himself leader and goes off on his own agenda our community suffers for it.
but you have to be careful with that because business men may make decisions based on business and not whats good for the community first. Thats why I like the idea of frats and other comunity groups working to keep the people abreast of whats going on in city hall and how that affects its citizens.

That way if anyone decides to appoint themselves as spokesperson then its understood what their agenda is because it will be OUR agenda..we're all on the same page in terms of whats going on and whats needed.

there are ways to do it using the INTERNET to communicate with people who are online and using SNAIL MAIL for those who aren't to get a consensus and survey asking SPECIFIC questions and needs of the community.

Using Public Access TV and Radio to create programs that keep people abreast of whats happening (but doing it in an engaging way rather than just talking heads).

The frats and soros pressing the flesh and meeting with the community door to door.

Using ADVERTISING to let people know that they are expected to PARTICIPATE in the workings of their community and that their vote..their voice have power.

For instance, yesterday BET did a story about Koreans controlling 84% of the Black hair care business, that's unbelievable but it's true. That happens because we don't have leadership much less a plan for keeping money in our community. I know we have discussed gentrification on this board several times. In effect, we, a bunch of people sitting at computers shooting the bull, probably have a better idea on this matter than our reps.

and that brings us back to putting ourselves in policy making positions. Because you NEVER see as many asian businesses or latino businesses or white (including jewish) businesses in any other community other than black.

Drive thru a prdominitely white neighborhood and see how many asian/latino/indian etc restaurants and foodmarts or clothing stores you see...then drive thru the "hood" and see how many there are. And its the same thing in other communities...go to the asian community or latino community and see how many BLACK businesses there are established there.

They KEEP their own businesses in their own neighborhoods while keeping OUT anything thats not like them. Meanwhile they OKAY any business for the black community. And we ACCEPT it.

BUT the issue there is two pronged as well..black businesses and by extension black PEOPLE have to be ready to deal. Our service (to ourselves) have to be good and PROFESSIONAL..too many times we try to support a business and the workers have funky attitudes and poor service skills. Meanwhile the nonblack business seems to bend over backwards to service you or maybe they aren't but it just seems that way because the person SMILED or said THANK YOU as opposed to just being there..

Its easier to support a business who gives good service and looks professional rather than just because we're the same skin color.

Last edited:

nittie

Star
Registered
I think whats important is we both see the advantages of organizing the community. How it should be done can be worked out. Personally I think the question is how far do we go with it. Should we stop at holding our representatives accountable or do we completely organize a Black government.

I know the Black government sounds extreme but it might be what we need. The recent rash of nooses and this Blackout Day points to larger more serious problems for us. We could stem that by organizing the community behind a Declaration of Independence and Constitution for our community. When the original ones were written we were considered 3/5 human and we are still dealing with that stigma today.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think whats important is we both see the advantages of organizing the community. How it should be done can be worked out.

well details are important and giving suggestions here could spur someone (or us) into actually making a workable organization beyond just giving the broad strokes.

Personally I think the question is how far do we go with it. Should we stop at holding our representatives accountable or do we completely organize a Black government.

I know the Black government sounds extreme but it might be what we need. The recent rash of nooses and this Blackout Day points to larger more serious problems for us. We could stem that by organizing the community behind a Declaration of Independence and Constitution for our community. When the original ones were written we were considered 3/5 human and we are still dealing with that stigma today.

it wouldn't be tolerated by people on the outside or by all black people...that kind of thing wouldn't be viewed as extreme but fringe...as in crazy. Its been proposed a number of times in the passed...NOI, black panthers for example..its never taken seriously.

Also as American citizens its our country as much as anyone else's so the system should work for us as much as it does or anyone else.

nittie

Star
Registered
well details are important and giving suggestions here could spur someone (or us) into actually making a workable organization beyond just giving the broad strokes.

I agree details are important in order to do that the right combination of people would have to be organized.

it wouldn't be tolerated by people on the outside or by all black people...that kind of thing wouldn't be viewed as extreme but fringe...as in crazy. Its been proposed a number of times in the passed...NOI, black panthers for example..its never taken seriously.

Also as American citizens its our country as much as anyone else's so the system should work for us as much as it does or anyone else.

You are right about this being proposed several times in the past and it was dismissed as fringe or crazy. Looking back on it though it's amazing how accurate Marcus Garvey, W.E.B Dubois, Malcom, Elijah were about us taking a global or independent position for our community. We are now in a global economy like they predicted almost 100yrs ago. If they were right about that maybe they are right about what approach we should take in organizing and managing our community too.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
whatevers going to happen is going to start with the youth...and they are just going to have to start thinking outside the box and throwaway the old playbook.

Lets look at how other groups have established themselves...(taking into account some are white and therefore advantaged in that degree)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American#Irish_in_politics_and_government

While the Irish dominated such occupations as domestic service, building, and factory work, they were not present in large numbers in the professions, finance, and many businesses. In response, the Irish clung to their occupational niches fiercely, blocking attempts by newer immigrant groups and African Americans to enter them, and earning them a reputation for violence.

The Catholic Irish moved rapidly into law enforcement, and (through the Catholic Church) built hundreds of schools, colleges, orphanages, hospitals, and asylums. Political opposition to the Catholic Irish climaxed in 1854 in the short-lived Know Nothing Party.

By the 1850s, the Irish Catholics were a major presence in the police departments of large cities. In New York City in 1855, of the city's 1,149 policemen, 305 were natives of Ireland. The creation of a unified police force in Philadelphia opened the door to the Irish in that city. By 1860 in Chicago, 49 of the 107 on the police force were Irish. Chief O'Leary headed the police force in New Orleans and Malachi Fallon was chief of police of San Francisco.[14]

The Irish had a reputation for being very well organized, and, since 1850, have produced a majority of the leaders of the Catholic Church in the U.S., labor unions, the Democratic Party in larger cities, and Catholic high schools, colleges and universities. Politically, the Irish Catholic typically voted 80-95% Democratic in elections down to 1964. John F. Kennedy was their greatest political hero. Al Smith, who lost to Herbert Hoover in the 1928 presidential election, was the first Irish Catholic to run for president. From the 1830s to the 1960s, Irish Catholics voted 80-95% Democratic, with occasional exceptions like the election of 1920.

Finding markets and cornering them (a penchant for violence AGAINST OTHERS..not themselves helps as well)...establishing themselves in political and academic scenes. VOTING.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Just an analogy...

I don't eat Pork

Chiterlings
Ham
Bacon
Pork Chops
Pork Steaks
Pork Shoulder
Carnitas
Sausage blends
Jello
Pork Bi-products
Pig Skins
Pig's Feet
Lunchmeat blends
Bacon Bits
Italian sausage
Pepperoini

Get the picture, learn to sacrafice, for what you believe is not right, follow suit by eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product, encourage others to follow suit, keep it moving...

Pitchdogg

Star
Registered
have some integrity about yourself, stand up for what you believe in, and never compromise no matter what.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just an analogy...

I don't eat Pork

Chiterlings
Ham
Bacon
Pork Chops
Pork Steaks
Pork Shoulder
Carnitas
Sausage blends
Jello
Pork Bi-products
Pig Skins
Pig's Feet
Lunchmeat blends
Bacon Bits
Italian sausage
Pepperoini

Get the picture, learn to sacrafice, for what you believe is not right, follow suit by eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product, encourage others to follow suit, keep it moving...

and how realistic is that?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
have some integrity about yourself, stand up for what you believe in, and never compromise no matter what.
nice sound bite...now mind elaborating

Just an analogy...

I don't eat Pork

Chiterlings
Ham
Bacon
Pork Chops
Pork Steaks
Pork Shoulder
Carnitas
Sausage blends
Jello
Pork Bi-products
Pig Skins
Pig's Feet
Lunchmeat blends
Bacon Bits
Italian sausage
Pepperoini

2dmccis.jpg

these guys had great self discipline and integrity as well...

how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?..before you answer read the thread and what its about...

Last edited:

nittie

Star
Registered
To make lasting changes institutions are a must, we already have several options we just have to build on them.

1. KWANZAA - an African American and Pan-African holiday celebrated by millions throughout the world African community, Kwanzaa brings a cultural message which speaks to the best of what it means to be African and human in the fullest sense.

2.Juneteenth - the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.

3.Black History Month - Americans have recognized black history annually since 1926, first as "Negro History Week" and later as "Black History Month."

4.Black Music Month - Black Music Month recognizes some of the brightest lights of American creativity and honors the African-American men and women whose art entertains and inspires us. The incredible talents of black musicians continue to speak to every heart, reflecting the beauty and pride of our great Nation.

Incorporating a symbolic Declaration of Independence and Constitution into these celebrations, a system for holding our reps accountable, a plan for keeping money in our community, could lead to a new Black nation in a few short years. We have to make it happen.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To make lasting changes institutions are a must, we already have several options we just have to build on them.

1. KWANZAA - an African American and Pan-African holiday celebrated by millions throughout the world African community, Kwanzaa brings a cultural message which speaks to the best of what it means to be African and human in the fullest sense.

2.Juneteenth - the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.

3.Black History Month - Americans have recognized black history annually since 1926, first as "Negro History Week" and later as "Black History Month."

4.Black Music Month - Black Music Month recognizes some of the brightest lights of American creativity and honors the African-American men and women whose art entertains and inspires us. The incredible talents of black musicians continue to speak to every heart, reflecting the beauty and pride of our great Nation.

Incorporating a symbolic Declaration of Independence and Constitution into these celebrations, a system for holding our reps accountable, a plan for keeping money in our community, could lead to a new Black nation in a few short years. We have to make it happen.

okay...a new nation where??? physically where would this new nation be located?

I'm not sure if you understand what it takes to form a nation...but land is the first thing the list.

also I thought we were discussing more effective ways to boycott or demonstrate and improve our community...

nittie

Star
Registered

Nation is just a term to describe a Black identity. One hopefully a number of people can agree on. It's about adding structure and definition to our community.

I'm not sure if you understand what it takes to form a nation...but land is the first thing the list.

Again the nation would be symbolic not a physical location. It's about defining who and what is the Black community.

also I thought we were discussing more effective ways to boycott or demonstrate and improve our community...

If we've proven anything it's in this day and time boycotts do not work. You need a mechanism in place to hold people accountable, sporadic demonstrations don't work anymore.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
If we've proven anything it's in this day and time boycotts do not work. You need a mechanism in place to hold people accountable, sporadic demonstrations don't work anymore.
Those that were successful weren't sporadic.

QueEx

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Nation is just a term to describe a Black identity. One hopefully a number of people can agree on. It's about adding structure and definition to our community.

Again the nation would be symbolic not a physical location. It's about defining who and what is the Black community.

while i can agree with the spirit of what your saying...i don't think its necessary to have a "black government".

contrary to populr belief black people can and have and are coming together in the positive...its just that the negative is stressed so much thats all we're seeing and being told.

Rather than declarations and holidays we need to assert our political strength and CREATE business opportunities (beyond clothing and liquor)

How do we do that?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
geechieD,

Given the responses (many, very good) to your questions in this thread, do you plan to start a thread, sometime after the Blackout that analyzes the success of that boycott - in view of the suggestions in this thread ???

QueEx

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it would be difficult to determine if it was an clear success or not..the point of it is to call attention to an issue in that regard it would be viewed as a success...(much like the million man march) but will it be successfull in terms of making a change in the status quo? That won't be determined for awhile..(but here's a question... was the Million Man March successful some 10, 12 years later?)

If change does happen it will be considered the first volley in the war on injustice...it change doesn't happen people will be quick to sweep it under the rug or distance it from the set back.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
nice sound bite...now mind elaborating

2dmccis.jpg

these guys had great self discipline and integrity as well...

how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?..before you answer read the thread and what its about...

Most lack the mindset, of a well disciplined mind. I apologize for going deep. There are dos and donts, fuck weaknesses, you should exhibit personal control to determine the better part of your fate. If in not, back it up with longterm gain, shorterm loss.

It's how even the most disciplined, psychologically fit people are led astray by a team or individuals in corportations, corrupt officials, etc, very intelligent criminal minds, steps out of thread...

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Most lack the mindset, of a well disciplined mind. I apologize for going deep. There are dos and donts, fuck weaknesses, you should exhibit personal control to determine the better part of your fate. If in not, back it up with longterm gain, shorterm loss.

It's how even the most disciplined, psychologically fit people are led astray by a team or individuals in corportations, corrupt officials, etc, very intelligent criminal minds, steps out of thread...

please step back in the thread cuz i have no idea what you talking about??

exactly how does what you're saying fit in with the discussion?

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
please step back in the thread cuz i have no idea what you talking about??

exactly how does what you're saying fit in with the discussion?

Again, I stated...
learn to sacrafice, for what you believe is not right, follow suit by eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product, encourage others to follow suit, keep it moving...

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
i understood that and asked...how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?

Now please answer THAT question without platitudes

Encourage others to follow suit, keep it(the movement)moving...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Encourage others to follow suit, keep it(the movement)moving...

but that STILL doesn't answer the question: how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?

The Black Outs and Buy Black boycotts are intended to affect the white corporate power structure. The problem is that structure is so ingrained in the fabric of our community that we can't separate whats ours and whats theirs.

While you may decide to shop only at Abdullahs FoodMart and not at the Shoprite..but Abdullahs is STILL supplied by Coke and Beatrice and whatever white corporation that makes 40s (aka liquid crack) so while the ShopRite may suffer from no black business...the white corporate power structure isn't effected much all.

Thats the biggest reason people are skeptical...not unwilling to do anything..but skeptical that that particular effort won't have the desired effect.

Those demads could be achieved more directly by us exercising our power to vote and installing OUR OWN politicians and DA and judges.

You don't have to make demands on the white power structure if you set out to CHANGE the composition of that structure.

Thats the difference in attacking the weeds at the ROOT rather than just trimming the surface and watching the weeds grow again (altho there is an agenda to keep that happening as it keeps certain people employed).

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
An effective boycott consists of measured, disciplined, efforts with a common goal in mind. It's not something that can happen over night.

First off, ask yourself, Who, What, When, Where, Why and how do I want to boycott?

Once you have a well thought out plan, put it into action.

Who or what do you want to boycott, is what I want to know...?:hmm:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
An effective boycott consists of measured, disciplined, efforts with a common goal in mind. It's not something that can happen over night.

First off, ask yourself, Who, What, When, Where, Why and how do I want to boycott?

Once you have a well thought out plan, put it into action.

Who or what do you want to boycott, is what I want to know...?:hmm:

and you still haven't answered the question...can anyone answer it?

how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
and you still haven't answered the question...can anyone answer it?

how realistic is eliminating virtually every association with the boycotted company or product in todays world?

One's reality is a fixation of one's mind, on what they conceive as realistic, of course, reality varies from person to person...

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
okay...you're just fucking around at this point...:smh:

Can someone else take a crack at it at?

No, YOU, are just fucking around, how is it that you have all the non answers, yet valid ones, are proposed and you seek to debunk what is very effective...:confused: I tried awakening YOU, from you delerium, lost cause:smh:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, YOU, are just fucking around, how is it that you have all the non answers, yet valid ones, are proposed and you seek to debunk what is very effective...:confused: I tried awakening YOU, from you delerium, lost cause:smh:

what valid answer did you propose???

all you did was talk in circles...i asked a direct question and instead of an answer that you give platitudes about how ones reality is what one makes it:rolleyes:

i'm aware of the who what where when and why of boycotting..the question is what the most effective way to boycott a system..not just a company.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

all you did was talk in circles...i asked a direct question and instead of an answer that you give platitudes about how ones reality is what one makes it:rolleyes:

i'm aware of the who what where when and why of boycotting..the question is what the most effective way to boycott a system..not just a company.

The blackout is calling for a boycott of the white power structure..not just one company.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor

The blackout is calling for a boycott of the white power structure..not just one company.

An effective boycott consists of measured, disciplined, efforts with a common goal in mind. It's not something that can happen over night, in this case, what you do to boycott today, continue on doing to the best of your ability daily and redirect your efforts TO SUPPORT, what you feel worthy of YOUR ATTENTION...