What Does It Take To Make An Effective Boycott Or Demonstration?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not trying to criticise the Nov 2 BLACK OUT. I think a demonstration is always effective in getting dire issues to the forefront. If anything consider this CONSTRUCTIVE criticism..that is its alright to point out whats wrong but lets also state how to MAKE IT RIGHT...whats a BETTER way to do it.

In this thread lets DECONSTRUCT the successful boycotts and demonstrations and find out what exactly worked..what DIDN'T work (so that we don't repeat bad history) and learn how to make the BLACKOUT and FUTURE ISSUES more effective or ANY boycott/demonstration more effective.

NOTE: PARANOIDS STAY OUT. Don't worry or care that "THEY" will find out whats going on because.

1. "THEY" already know
2. Good team work CAN'T BE BEATEN...even if you do know whats going on.

What does it take for boycott/demonstration to be successful?

It seems to me a number of elements need to be set from the beginning.

1. CLEAR cut purpose something beyond the nebulous claim of justice

2. CLEAR and DOABLE goals

3. CLEAR and REASONABLE timetables set. An understanding that the goals effects will have an immediate effect or take time (and have a reasonable estimate of how much time)

4. at LEAST 70% particaption from the people targetted.

5. CONTINGENCY plans in case things don't go well (and they never do)

These are some of the details I haven't seen (at least the first two)concerning the BLACK OUT boycott. If they have been stated please link where that could be found.

What are some other ways to create an effective demonstration?

Last edited:

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. Keep it local - Montgomery Boycott

2. Organizing on a grassroots level. People seem to be disconnected from the community where they reside.

3. Coalitions have to be built with different communities.

4. It has to be personal. There needs to be something that people can rally around.

I can give one reason why boycotts are very difficult to pull off these days is that people are pretty much robotic in these times.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. Keep it local - Montgomery Boycott

2. Organizing on a grassroots level. People seem to be disconnected from the community where they reside.

3. Coalitions have to be built with different communities.

4. It has to be personal. There needs to be something that people can rally around.

I can give one reason why boycotts are very difficult to pull off these days is that people are pretty much robotic in these times.

some real good points made.

but i don't think the reason its difficult is becuz people are robotic but that things aren't black and white as they were before.

Looking at Montgomery Bus Boycott...All King sought initially was for drivers to be told to stop calling blacks "******s," to stop shrinking the sections set aside for blacks when crowded conditions forced white latecomers to stand and to stop the cruel practice of pulling away from black riders after they had paid their fares up front but before they had reached the doorways in the back through which Negro passengers were forced to enter.

(excerpt: http://facstaff.uww.edu/mohanp/ethnic9d.html )

thats pretty much in your face. You KNOW what to do and how to do it for the most part and most importantly its EXTERNAL..The black citizens aren't doing anything to cause or further that bad situation.

Today.. you can scream about drugs being funneled into the black community by the gov't thereby killing a whole generation of black people BUT then you have cousin ray ray who's a dealer killing the community from within. Thats creates a grey area. Are there external negative forces? Sure BUT there are also INTERNAL negative forces as well..Calling out one and ignoring the other doesn't change a thing.

Last edited:

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
What it takes is a clearcut message to the people, with defined goals. The people have to understand the importance of their participation and that to be effective everyone has to be on the same page and willing to sacrifice.

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
Thank you for your post. While I am not at all oppsed to the Black Out philisophically, I find it hard to believe that institutional racism is anywhere near our communities biggest, or most readily solvable, problems.

The largest problem we have is a lack of close to home emotional support. With fractured families, there is less emotional energy available to sustain the families. That leads to more durg use, irresponsible sexual activity & violence than you would otherwise have.

To put it simple, racism is a hangnail to the gunshot of the lack of family structure.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What it takes is a clearcut message to the people, with defined goals. The people have to understand the importance of their participation and that to be effective everyone has to be on the same page and willing to sacrifice.

what are in your opinion the clear cut message to the people doing the Black Out?

Again as an example the Montgomery Bus Boycott took a litte over of YEAR for its effects to be felt hard enough to bring people to the negotiation table.

Is it possible to have a Black Out (or Buy Black) campaign to last that at least that long?

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what are in your opinion the clear cut message to the people doing the Black Out?

Again as an example the Montgomery Bus Boycott took a litte over of YEAR for its effects to be felt hard enough to bring people to the negotiation table.

Is it possible to have a Black Out (or Buy Black) campaign to last that at least that long?

I am jaded. I don;t think it is possible to have a blackout for 1 day. I am going to get back to this when I have time to think. I am working and I can't get involve in these deep convos a this present time.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am jaded. I don;t think it is possible to have a blackout for 1 day. I am going to get back to this when I have time to think. I am working and I can't get involve in these deep convos a this present time.

i think you will have people doing it...but its so short that its not really that effective.

the idea or explanation of crawling before you walk doesn't really cut it as well because its not necessary. Given a good enough reason people WILL make the sacrifice. But if that sacrifice doesn't produce results then its wasted energy.

Zero

Star
Registered
With the web, the concept of "grass roots" has changed significantly (see MoveOn.org and other "grass roots" web-based viral movements as an example).

If you've listened to any of the radio shows of the organizers or read any of their thoughts, the issues they are addressing are relevant. This is not another "Free the Jena 6" march (which was a positive showing of unity, despite the opinions of the naysayers), this is about addressing several systematic issues that are attacking our community that CAN be rectified if those in power are motivated to act.

If we can't show a unified front on ANY issue, then those who can affect change have NO motivation to pay attention to those issues. If Jews can do it and gays (as hated as they are by the mainstream) can accomplish it, why can't we?

I don't think there is anything wrong with reminding some folks that WE (as a people) will not be marginalized.

As far as other issues facing our community:

You can't boycott for family values or individual responsibility on a macro level, so making the argument against the blackout by trying to change the focus to those types of societal issues is pointless. Ideas like that are best fostered on a local level (the more micro, the better because those are issues that need hands-on and sustained attention). Saying BLACK FOLKS (broad brush) need to do better on national TV or print media sounds like finger pointing, saying YOU need to do better to an individual or small group of individuals (in a caring manner) sounds like genuine concern.

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i think you will have people doing it...but its so short that its not really that effective.

the idea or explanation of crawling before you walk doesn't really cut it as well because its not necessary. Given a good enough reason people WILL make the sacrifice. But if that sacrifice doesn't produce results then its wasted energy.

You're right. I do think it is too short. People do need results, but there has to be optimism. Honestly, we don't know fi the action will produce the necessary result, but in these matters, you have to have a little faith that your behavior will elicit the response you intend.

I think if people are forced into an action then they will make a sacrifice. I perfect exammple is getting ill. If you have a poor lifestyle then you will most likely develop some serious illnesses in your lifetime. The problem is that people never think anything of it until they are faced with the dilemna of changing their behavior or suffer.

Zero

Star
Registered

A one day blackout is not going to affect much, but it's a start. This whole thing really needs to be planned more strategically. As was mentioned in other posts, a "blackout" towards the end of a fiscal quarter will have more impact than a "blackout" in the middle or beginning of a quarter because MANY businesses don't even notice swings in profit margins until they do their quarterly books. You black out for a couple of days at a strategically planned time and directed at a strategically placed market and a couple of days could make a lot of noise.

One thing folks don't understand about some of those boycotts during the civil rights movement is the fact that the NAACP had a serious brain trust that planned their actions in a way that had the strongest affect. Get some economists, lawyers, business leaders and financial experts on board to help with planning and TARGET your protest properly and you can do some serious damage and affect change.

I was thinking about a "buy black" campaign, but not just consumers...

• Consumers buy black
  • Black small business owners seek out black owned distributors
  • Black owned distributors seek out foreign suppliers, preferably African, but China will work as long as our money stays in our community as long as possible and then leaves the country without touching the hands of those you want to affect.
A plan like that (with proper management and guidance, would not only send a message demonstrating our economic power, but would ENHANCE that economic power as well.

Brown Bear

Star
Registered
With the web, the concept of "grass roots" has changed significantly (see MoveOn.org and other "grass roots" web-based viral movements as an example).

If you've listened to any of the radio shows of the organizers or read any of their thoughts, the issues they are addressing are relevant. This is not another "Free the Jena 6" march (which was a positive showing of unity, despite the opinions of the naysayers), this is about addressing several systematic issues that are attacking our community that CAN be rectified if those in power are motivated to act.

If we can't show a unified front on ANY issue, then those who can affect change have NO motivation to pay attention to those issues. If Jews can do it and gays (as hated as they are by the mainstream) can accomplish it, why can't we?

I don't think there is anything wrong with reminding some folks that WE (as a people) will not be marginalized.

You can't boycott for family values or individual responsibility on a macro level, so making the argument against the blackout by trying to change the focus to those types of societal issues is pointless. Ideas like that are best fostered on a local level (the more micro, the better because those are issues that need hands-on and sustained attention). Saying BLACK FOLKS (broad brush) need to do better on national TV or print media sounds like finger pointing, saying YOU need to do better to an individual or small group of individuals (in a caring manner) sounds like genuine concern.

Co-Sign to the fullest with everything you said, but that line gets a double Co-Sign. :cool:

Brown Bear

Star
Registered
On another note, I'm glad you came up with this topic, Geechi. The other day, I was thinking "How many people know about the North American Union in my community?" Something that affects us all, whether you live in Chicago, New Orleans, N.Y., L.A. or Alaska. No matter where you live in the U.S. (Canada or Mexico), this affects us on an international level. And while Mexico stands to gain the most out of this "Union," ALL nations stand to be oppressed by its creation.

I had one of my friends to watch all of Zeitgeist, but mainly parts 2 & 3, and the only words to come out of his mouth were "How can we stop this from happening? Why do people not know about this??" I told him plain and simple, people don't care about politics, all they care about is who got voted off of American Idol and if Britney Spears is going to keep her kids. :hmm:

I was thinking about how I could get the word out to more people, other than just direct them to the site, and I was thinking about holding a get-together or a seminar of some sort to get the word out. Possibly in November, but I know that a lot of people are going to be too caught up in their "Holiday" shopping to want to hear the truth.

Basically (and before Colin Powell shows up), how would I be able to put together a demonstration at least in my own community?

--Side note... I'm actually trying to put together flyers to stick on bus stops, trains, and gas station pumps with the words:

WHAT IS THE NORTH AMERICAN UNION??

With a little bit of the knowledge to stamp on the bottom of it. Do you think that would get people's attention? And also, what else should I put on them?

Blu Diablo

Promoter of Common Sense
BGOL Investor
persistance

peace

I have to agree with this one here. In my opinion you cannot expect a short term action to have any type of lasting result. The Montgomery Bus Boycott lasted from December 5, 1955 until December 20, 1956. Whatever inconvenience that had to be endured in order for the boycott to be effective was. People will gather for a day, that's not a problem, but will people put in the long term effort it takes to get results or go back to business as usual the next day?

With something like the Black Out it will take sustained withholding of our money to see a real economic impact that will bring people to the table, one day's loss can quickly be recouped and wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I think family values and responsibility definitely needs to be addressed when talking about concerns for the black community tho.. again all of the most destructive forces we face is not JUST from outside forces.

Zero

Star
Registered
I think family values and responsibility definitely needs to be addressed when talking about concerns for the black community tho.. again all of the most destructive forces we face is not JUST from outside forces.

I agree the majority of the issues facing the black community aren't from the outside, but the systemic forces that FEED them are, but regardless, you can't affectively protest something like that on a national level like they are suggesting with the issues addressed in the blackout. Like I said, those issues have to be addressed on a FAR more personal level or they will fall flat every time. That's the reason Malcolm X spoke of global issues on a global stage, national issues on a national stage and local issues of self-determination and responsibility on street corners and in halls right in the hood in front of the people he wanted his message to get to. If you are afraid to go into the hood and confront "hood" issues head on, you won't accomplish anything.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A one day blackout is not going to affect much, but it's a start. This whole thing really needs to be planned more strategically. As was mentioned in other posts, a "blackout" towards the end of a fiscal quarter will have more impact than a "blackout" in the middle or beginning of a quarter because MANY businesses don't even notice swings in profit margins until they do their quarterly books. You black out for a couple of days at a strategically planned time and directed at a strategically placed market and a couple of days could make a lot of noise.

One thing folks don't understand about some of those boycotts during the civil rights movement is the fact that the NAACP had a serious brain trust that planned their actions in a way that had the strongest affect. Get some economists, lawyers, business leaders and financial experts on board to help with planning and TARGET your protest properly and you can do some serious damage and affect change.

I was thinking about a "buy black" campaign, but not just consumers...

• Consumers buy black
  • Black small business owners seek out black owned distributors
  • Black owned distributors seek out foreign suppliers, preferably African, but China will work as long as our money stays in our community as long as possible and then leaves the country without touching the hands of those you want to affect.
A plan like that (with proper management and guidance, would not only send a message demonstrating our economic power, but would ENHANCE that economic power as well.

Okay a Buy Black Campaign...one of the biggest criticisms it will recieve is that it comes off as a racist campaign..

do whites buy white...yes
do jews buy jew...yes
do latinos buy latino...yes
do asians buy asian...yes

do they make a huge public campaign about it?...no

now thats a bullshit DIVERSIONARY tactic from the outside to draw attention away from the issue but thats one of the things you'd have to deal with in that kind of campaign..plus possibly alienating people (other minorities) that you may not want to hurt or get caught up in that..

Also the idea of dealing directing with china is controversial in itself since they back the genocide in Darfur. It would be like black americans dealing with South Africa during the aparthied days..

Zero

Star
Registered
Okay a Buy Black Campaign...one of the biggest criticisms it will recieve is that it comes off as a racist campaign..

do whites buy white...yes
do jews buy jew...yes
do latinos buy latino...yes
do asians buy asian...yes

do they make a huge public campaign about it?...no

now thats a bullshit DIVERSIONARY tactic from the outside to draw attention away from the issue but thats one of the things you'd have to deal with in that kind of campaign..plus possibly alienating people (other minorities) that you may not want to hurt or get caught up in that..

Also the idea of dealing directing with china is controversial in itself since they back the genocide in Darfur. It would be like black americans dealing with South Africa during the aparthied days..

That's why I said it should be driven by those who have the expertise to drive it (economists, lawyers, financiers, business people, etc) and not preachers and radio personalities. I mean they can do the talking, but they are not equipped to handle the planning. As far as the rest of it, screw it, they'd complain regardless. I mean Jesse Lee Peterson and Sean Hannity would call a black led baby hugging campaign racist.

Now China, that's a different story. First, I'm not sure if I'd want Africans (who have enough issues) to get into the "labor exploitation" game, so if black businesses want to be competitive, they will have to compete on the same playing field or they won't stand a chance. The way things appear to be headed in this country, we may need to worry about our own "Darfur".

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

Today its really going to be tough. I don't really have an answer to that question but I do know it will require. The efforts of every prominent leader we have, the rap community, churchs lodges everyone to make it work. Simply because our people are very divided, self-centered and seems unwilling to unite for any type cause. But your on the right track, since they refuse to hear us then nail them in the pocket.

What needs to be done is to select a company let's say ExxonMobil and simply refuse to buy their gas and oil products. Think that wouldn't have a major impact. The Montgomery Bus Boycott was just for 1 city. Imagine the impact of a national boycott or blackout. With what is going on here in the US whatever company is targeted if it takes a year fine if it takes 5 years whatever it takes.

Economic Blackout's can devastate. Check out the figures on this one. http://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=display_aeg&doc_ID=544

$6.4 Billion shows the impact of a blackout.

Zero

Star
Registered
Geechiedan

First, props on this post.

But

I want you to take a mental note of something. Remember how I got so pissed off in the Jena thread? THIS is the reason why I was pissed. You asked questions, argued your position and now you are trying to start a conversation on SOLUTIONS. All those other gasbag clowns in that post are doing what right now?

IN YET ANOTHER POST BEING GASBAG CLOWNS!!!

My whole thing is this...

"If you aren't offering solutions or at least attempting to FIND solutions, shut the fuck up!"

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's why I said it should be driven by those who have the expertise to drive it (economists, lawyers, financiers, business people, etc) and not preachers and radio personalities. I mean they can do the talking, but they are not equipped to handle the planning. As far as the rest of it, screw it, they'd complain regardless. I mean Jesse Lee Peterson and Sean Hannity would call a black led baby hugging campaign racist.

Now China, that's a different story. First, I'm not sure if I'd want Africans (who have enough issues) to get into the "labor exploitation" game, so if black businesses want to be competitive, they will have to compete on the same playing field or they won't stand a chance. The way things appear to be headed in this country, we may need to worry about our own "Darfur".

we're all connected (as much as black americans try to beleive they aren't africans) and at the very LEAST we shouldnt add to the problems by dealing with a country that backs the wholesale slaughter of black children and women and i mean that VERY LITERALLY..its happening as we type..there's got to be other alternatives and other countries to deal with and forge alliances with in that regard.

Zero

Star
Registered

A buy black campaign that lasted that long would create such a vibrant black economy that black folks would be FOOLS to EVER stop doing it. It may be a dream to even think that could happen, but a campaign like that would turn the WHOLE THING around for the better without even realizing it (education, crime, health, family, EVERY POSSIBLE AREA). No posturing, no speeches, no symposiums, no scalding editorials or finger pointing, JUST POSITIVE ACTION. You do that for a year and go back, you are a fool.

Zero

Star
Registered
we're all connected (as much as black americans try to beleive they aren't africans) and at the very LEAST we shouldnt add to the problems by dealing with a country that backs the wholesale slaughter of black children and women..there's got to be other alternatives and other countries to deal with and forge alliances with in that regard.

But by the same token, the reason we use China for manufacturing is their exploitation of workers (both child and adult). I'm not sure I'd want to introduce that (and the inevitable brutality the money behind it would spawn) to more of our people in Africa either.

So there is a dilemma, do you deal with China (like everyone else) and do what you can to pressure the international community to do the right thing, or do you exploit other parts of Africa and possibly create a similar situation? I'd like to say we could economically develop parts of Africa, but lets face it, the manufacturing game is ALL about exploitation these days, if you aren't willing to turn the other way to it, you can't compete globally.

Now if you REALLY want to get DEEP with it, you could go high tech and find other ways to cut manufacturing costs without human exploitation. But how far are you trying to go with this conversation before it becomes impractical?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But by the same token, the reason we use China for manufacturing is their exploitation of workers (both child and adult). I'm not sure I'd want to introduce that (and the inevitable brutality the money behind it would spawn) to more of our people in Africa either.

So there is a dilemma, do you deal with China (like everyone else) and do what you can to pressure the international community to do the right thing, or do you exploit other parts of Africa and possibly create a similar situation? I'd like to say we could economically develop parts of Africa, but lets face it, the manufacturing game is ALL about exploitation these days, if you aren't willing to turn the other way to it, you can't compete globally.

Now if you REALLY want to get DEEP with it, you could go high tech and find other ways to cut manufacturing costs without human exploitation. But how far are you trying to go with this conversation before it becomes impractical?

why not put the industry BACK in the inner cities?

The main most biggest reason for the decline of the inner city was white flight...subsequently white BUSINESS left with them..those manufacturing plants and assembly line jobs used to all be located in the cities.

When that left unemployment among the lower economic ranks (particularly black) raised, hopelessness came in followed by drugs violence dispair and anger. A MAN doesn't want to be home if he can't support his family. Man's not in the home single parenting happens and all the ills of society grows.. (thats why Bill stress's the responsibility of the man/father so hard..the man MUST lead the way)

Now taking an example of say sneakers. It cost Nike all of what 10-20 dollars to actually MAKE a pair of Air Jordans (sweat shop workers in foreign countries are making want 2 dollars a WEEK?) They ship that sneaker here and sell it for 200 DOLLARS. Slap Michael Jordans name all over it, hype it ad nausuem and black people will line up around the corner to buy it. All at a hefty profit for Nike.

But if these black moguls (I'm looking in YOUR direction Puffy, JayZ, Russell Simmons) would find a way to bring industry BACK to the cities employment would rise, black men would be working again, more work means more money to SPEND, the local ecomony rises as that happens crime falls.

Will it stop drug dealing? No...but where there were 10 dealers now theres only 2 thats a hell of a drop.

Will it stop crime? No...but it will cut down on senseless crimes of anger and frustration.

It WILL improve childrens school grades because when daddy has a job he STAYS in the home..the parents have MORE confidence and the children feel more SECURE thus boosting their CONFIDENCE.

A confident child rises to the challenge and exhibits less frustration with class work.

Bring industry back into the inner city and the cycle of desparation can be broken but it begins with a concerted effort to get people working again.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
On another note, I'm glad you came up with this topic, Geechi. The other day, I was thinking "How many people know about the North American Union in my community?" Something that affects us all, whether you live in Chicago, New Orleans, N.Y., L.A. or Alaska. No matter where you live in the U.S. (Canada or Mexico), this affects us on an international level. And while Mexico stands to gain the most out of this "Union," ALL nations stand to be oppressed by its creation.

I had one of my friends to watch all of Zeitgeist, but mainly parts 2 & 3, and the only words to come out of his mouth were "How can we stop this from happening? Why do people not know about this??" I told him plain and simple, people don't care about politics, all they care about is who got voted off of American Idol and if Britney Spears is going to keep her kids. :hmm:

I was thinking about how I could get the word out to more people, other than just direct them to the site, and I was thinking about holding a get-together or a seminar of some sort to get the word out. Possibly in November, but I know that a lot of people are going to be too caught up in their "Holiday" shopping to want to hear the truth.

Basically (and before Colin Powell shows up), how would I be able to put together a demonstration at least in my own community?

--Side note... I'm actually trying to put together flyers to stick on bus stops, trains, and gas station pumps with the words:

WHAT IS THE NORTH AMERICAN UNION??

With a little bit of the knowledge to stamp on the bottom of it. Do you think that would get people's attention? And also, what else should I put on them?

i looked it up on wiki...very interesting..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_american_union

you have to be real careful with that...

That could easily fall into the category of Conspiracy Theory and people will automatically tune out.

Find out the very real and possible negative effects of it and find or create a group that can broadcast it...

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're right. I do think it is too short. People do need results, but there has to be optimism. Honestly, we don't know fi the action will produce the necessary result, but in these matters, you have to have a little faith that your behavior will elicit the response you intend.

I think if people are forced into an action then they will make a sacrifice. I perfect exammple is getting ill. If you have a poor lifestyle then you will most likely develop some serious illnesses in your lifetime. The problem is that people never think anything of it until they are faced with the dilemna of changing their behavior or suffer.

unfortunately I think thats just human nature to wait until its REALLY needed to act. But at that point thats why its REALLY important that what you DO has the most impact.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
I have to agree with this one here. In my opinion you cannot expect a short term action to have any type of lasting result. The Montgomery Bus Boycott lasted from December 5, 1955 until December 20, 1956. Whatever inconvenience that had to be endured in order for the boycott to be effective was. People will gather for a day, that's not a problem, but will people put in the long term effort it takes to get results or go back to business as usual the next day?

With something like the Black Out it will take sustained withholding of our money to see a real economic impact that will bring people to the table, one day's loss can quickly be recouped and wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Glad somebody gets it

It can be one day, it can be one minute, or it can be one year.
Hell, it can even be one decade. Just stick with it. Persistance

We keep talking about one day will not affect anything. That
is not true. Even if it's for one day, that one day will gather
you some RESPECT because you showed you are CAPABLE of being
organized and UNIFIED with your people. The thing that enemies
of black people are MOST afraid of

But the thing I keep saying is that metaphorically, you have
to crawl before you walk. As an organized movement, we have
practically nothing. We are infants in term of activism.

I'm done talking. Talk achieves nothing. Action speaks louder.
Anybody don't want in, PUSH OFF. Keep the fuck outta the way
and stop doing the devil's work for him

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Glad somebody gets it

It can be one day, it can be one minute, or it can be one year.
Hell, it can even be one decade. Just stick with it. Persistance

We keep talking about one day will not affect anything. That
is not true. Even if it's for one day, that one day will gather
you some RESPECT because you showed you are CAPABLE of being
organized and UNIFIED with your people. The thing that enemies
of black people are MOST afraid of

But the thing I keep saying is that metaphorically, you have
to crawl before you walk. As an organized movement, we have
practically nothing. We are infants in term of activism.

I'm done talking. Talk achieves nothing. Action speaks louder.
Anybody don't want in, PUSH OFF. Keep the fuck outta the way
and stop doing the devil's work for him

the issue i have with that is that at its core the Black Out isn't an action...its a THREAT of action.

Threats don't work. The FIRST thing you are taught about owning a weapon is that you NEVER THREATEN to use it against an aggressor..you either use it or you don't.

The Montgomery bus boycott was not a THREAT to show power it was an ACTION to SHOW & PROVE that black dollars DO make a difference in the local economy and if things don't change black dollars will continue to be withheld from the local economy.

The Civil Rights Marches wasn't a THREAT it was an ACTION to goad the racist into reacting exactly the way they did to show the world just how free and just america really was. The strategy was to fill the jails with civil disobedience protesters and thereby disrupt the system.

Once the action was started..they went all the way.
BUT there were pinpoint goals for the bus boycott:

(1) Courteous treatment on the buses
(2) First-come, first-served seating,
(3) Hiring of black drivers for the black bus routes.

Blacks in attendance vowed to support a continued boycott and the list of demands.

that's something you can set a timetable for and is easily recognizable as reasonable demands.

what are the demands for the Black out exactly?