Was 2Pac Bigger Than Snoop In His Prime??

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
that being said...

what Snoop has accomplished as a former gang member gansta rapper tried for murder?

And become a complete cross over beloved icon of ALL ages?

almost family friendly?

And STILL make music

Is AMAZING.

I do NOT think Pac could have accomplished THAT image wise.

Last edited:

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I dont agree with some of the points made in the video...but as far as hype etc....no...92 to 94 Snoop mania was crazy and the anticipation around the Doggystyle album was next level....it would take until the early 2000's with 50 Cent and G Unit before that level of anticipation was out there for an album

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
that being said...

what Snoop has accomplished as a former gang member gansta rapper tried for murder?

alsmost family friendly?

And STILL make music

Is AMAZING.

Dude went from being one the scariest rappers ever to making us laugh in movies.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
that being said...

alsmost family friendly?

And STILL make music

Is AMAZING.

I disagree...pac was a horrible judge of character and had a tendency to associate with the wrong people but so did snoop...the ONLY difference is that snoop got a chance to live long enough to MATURE..pac didn't. If he had I would say he would have, generally speaking, the career 50cent has before 50cent. maybe even better but at least that level.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I disagree...pac was a horrible judge of character and had a tendency to associate with the wrong people but so did snoop...the ONLY difference is that snoop got a chance to live long enough to MATURE..pac didn't. If he had I would say he would have, generally speaking, the career 50cent has before 50cent. maybe even better but at least that level.

very fair POINT...

Snoop became a husband and a FATHER!

but I really don't see PAC doing day time talk shows, commercials and game shows etc...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
very fair POINT...

Snoop became a husband and a FATHER!

but I really don't see PAC doing day time talk shows, commercials and game shows etc...
:lol:

snoop isn't the actor tupac was...pac was definitely on the road to more serious and better film work thats why I said 50cent...:giggle:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

snoop isn't the actor tupac was...pac was definitely on the road to more serious and better film work thats why I said 50cent...:giggle:

whats so funny? I'm talking NOW cause Snoop had a couple of primes.

Isn't Snoop a father and husband and used all that to flip his image

not even mentioning football

I never said anything about acting this isn't an acting discussion.

and I'm talking about NOW.

the real question is...

when do we mark Tupac prime VS Snoop prime?

btw... I aint even watch the video yet

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But the double cd was ok at best. Would have been one goooood album.
I think pac was trying to work his way out of his contract with suge and so his production rate, while prolific was very assembly line..theres that video where he tries to get the outlawz to work at his rate and you could see it was quantity over quality.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Snoop had 2 huge albums and the anticipation for both was thru the roof. But Pac was doing the TV and movie shit. And he was starting to get better roles. All eyes on me drop took him to a different level. That snoop nor any rapper at the time was on..........

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think pac was trying to work his way out of his contract with suge and so his production rate, while prolific was very assembly line..theres that video where he tries to get the outlawz to work at his rate and you could see it was quantity over quality.
Pac had plenty of music and most was very much quality. Just because it was a lot doesn't mean it wasn't good......

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
that being said...

alsmost family friendly?

And STILL make music

Is AMAZING.

source.gif

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
no.
he wasnt.
our culture loves telling this fairytale though

Are you saying that he wasn't on his way to winning an Grammy and a Oscar..

Cause at the time Gridlock was easily the best role that I've ever seen an Rapper do.

Look at this scene from Gridlock'd where here is playing a Junkie

And this one..

BTS Clip from Gang-related

Dude was a natural... and extremely charisma for days..

He was on his way to getting recognized for his acting as much as his music..

He had already been nominated for multiple grammys around the time that he died...

If he kept taking on Roles like Gangrelated and Gridlock'd..... (Things outside the normal comfort zone) Then Yeah I think would have gotten an Oscar nomination.

2pac and Tim Roth were fucking magical in that movie... .I would have loved to see more flicks with them together.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
that being said...

alsmost family friendly?

And STILL make music

Is AMAZING.

I think Pac was on his way to doing it....

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

This..

THis is the point that Kats are missing ...

Prior to his death ... 2pac was stepping into serious roles and put in money to help produce Gridlock’d and gangrelated. I mean dude was in a movie with Tim Roth when Tim Roth was heading to his peak.

I think 2pac was on the path of dropping music for acting.

rage

International
International Member
Snoop had Gin & Juice,Murder was the case and many dope tunes at the time but 2Pac was a special dude,he was rising up the celebrity ladder when he was slain.He had star appeal.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
That being said...

At the time of around the same time of death.. Snoop’s Doggystyle album went 4 times platinum. But 2pac had more albums around the same time...
in the end 2pac sold more units then snoop over that span in the 90s but Snoop dogg had a bigger hit album.

But from a cultural standpoint... 2pac was way bigger then Snoop back then

As a kid... I hate to say this but as a kid I always saw Snoop as Dre’s sidekick. I loved his shit.. but his album felt like a Dre album with Snoop rapping on it. It also helped Snoop a lot that he was heavily on The Chronic album and the Chronic is a fucking masterpiece.

So he came in with Hype...

Pac built himself up from a background hype man for digital underground and 2pacaclypse now.. which is one of my all time favorite pac albums.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont agree with some of the points made in the video...but as far as hype etc....no...92 to 94 Snoop mania was crazy and the anticipation around the Doggystyle album was next level....it would take until the early 2000's with 50 Cent and G Unit before that level of anticipation was out there for an album
U must have never heard of Ma$e or nelly

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That being said...

At the time of around the same time of death.. Snoop’s Doggystyle album went 4 times platinum. But 2pac had more albums around the same time...
in the end 2pac sold more units then snoop over that span in the 90s but Snoop dogg had a bigger hit album.

As a kid... I hate to say this but as a kid I always saw Snoop as Dre’s sidekick. I loved his shit.. but his album felt like a Dre album with Snoop rapping on it. It also helped Snoop a lot that he was heavily on The Chronic album and the Chronic is a fucking masterpiece.

Pac built himself up from a background hype man for digital underground and 2pacaclypse now.. which is one of my all time favorite pac albums.
He was dre sidekick
All the way to to still DRE

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
Are you saying that he wasn't on his way to winning an Grammy and a Oscar..

Cause at the time Gridlock was easily the best role that I've ever seen an Rapper do.

the Academy dgaf about what YOU’VE seen or think.

its not up to you, me, or our culture, its up to them. and have a history of not recognizing our talents.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Still don't think the buzz for their album's was as big as Snoop's...back to the original OP, I think overall throughout the 90's Pac was bigger based off complete body of work but I still don't think Pac ever reached the insane level of hype that Snoop did 92 - 94...for a short period of time, the buzz around Snoop was higher

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m east-coast biased, and was only about 7 or 8 when Snoop came out, but I remember him having a Michael Jackson-esque quality around the time of Doggystyle. I don’t ever remember Tupac having that same energy.

Parents and old people were fond of Snoop, in many cases.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That being said...

damn...

can't argue NONE of that.

To me Biggie was the BEST rapper but Tupac was the most culturally influential

I watch and read his old interviews like I do Muhammad Ali.

So to me his PRIME is very complicated.

He was a damn force of NATURE.

but Snoop somehow someway became like a lovable family friendly gangsta weed rapper...

I really can't explain it.

and not to muddy the waters

but I feel like in order?

Tupac PRIME
Snoop PRIME

and then 50 Cent Prime

but then I feel like technology and longevity muddies things even MORE.

sidebar...

Could be argued that Eminem was BIGGER in his PRIME than both Snoop and Tupac?

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Country Grammer-era Nelly is like 1/4 of what it was like when “Who am I?” Came out. Like the ni99a said you’d have to compare it to maybe 50, Eminem, or Drake in terms of his initial impact. I still don’t think any of them came out of the gate as strong as Snoop, though.