Support BGOL
Registered
<font size="4">
C o u r a g e ∙ P e r s o n i f i e d

</font size>

malone-jones_classroom1a.jpg

Vivian Malone in the classroom, University of Alabama - 1963

`

What the media fails to acknowledge most of the time they speak about Vivian Malone is that she enrolled with another black student, James Hood, at UA.

However, he unfortunately was not able to complete his studies (rumor had it that the racists at UA made his life more difficult than hers) and I'd like to mention him as a hero as well... because even though he maybe seen as a "dropout" - I commend him for trying and eventually get his Ph.D. from UA in 1997.

Dr. James Hood
ln-opendoors%20hood.jpg

inspirational man. I would bet my life that that is no rumor.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

P A U L ∙ C U F F E

paul%20cuffe.jpg

e n t r e p r e n e u r
s e a ∙ c a p t i a n
(1759 -1817)

Prior to the Civil War, despite severe restraints on their movements and limited capital, slaves and free blacks developed enterprises that paralleled mainstream business activity. In the 18th century, Paul Cuffe, the son of an Ashanti from Ghana and a Wampanoag Indian woman in Massachusetts, was a prominent sea captain whose ships and all-black crews serviced the Atlantic Coast and sailed to Europe and Africa.

Paul Cuffe was born in Cuttyhunk, Massachusetts in a family of ten children. His father Kofi was a manumitted enslaved African and a member of the Akan tribe of Ghana. Paul Cuffee’s mother, Ruth Moses, was a Native American of the Wampanoag tribe from Martha’s Vineyard. Ebenezer Slocum, a Friend, purchased Kofi (later Cuffe Slocum) in the 1720s. Twenty-two years later John Slocum purchased Cuffe Slocum from his uncle and freed him in 1745. Although Paul Cuffe’s parents had been strongly influenced by Friends, there is no evidence that they belonged to a Quaker meeting.

Paul Cuffe taught himself mathematics, navigation, and other seafaring skills, and earned his wealth through whaling and trade in the Americas and Europe. His shipping career began at the age of sixteen, when he signed up to be a member of a whaling vessel. Cuffe began building his shipping enterprise during the Revolutionary War, and over a period of years he owned shares in up to ten ships. During the War he built a boat with his brother, David, and the two of them smuggled merchandise through British blockades. In 1793 Cuffe married Alice Pequit, with whom he had six children named Paul, William, Mary, Ruth, Alice and Rhoda.

During that period in American history the shipping industry was dangerous because of the constant threat of pirates. But purchasing and delivering merchandise on the Atlantic coast, specifically in the South, was particularly hazardous for Cuffe and his crew because they were all African American. In 1793 Congress passed a fugitive slave law that gave owners of enslaved Africans the right to retrieve an escaped enslaved person from another state. The enslaved were not entitled to a trial, a hearing, or able to testify for themselves. This law put Cuffe and his crew in continual peril of being kidnapped and sold.

Paul Cuffe saw education as a means of liberation, and he fought for equal rights in many ways. He was always eager to teach young men who wanted to learn the science of navigation and skills of a merchantman. In 1799 he established a school on his own property in Westport, Massachusetts that was open to all children regardless of their race. In 1800 he bought a gristmill in Acoaxet, and was a century and a half ahead of his time when he urged mills to include African Americans in the planning stages of organizations whose goal was helping blacks. He encouraged African Americans up and down the East Coast to think about their social and economic status. In 1780, when only men of European descent had the right to vote, he and other African Americans protested taxation on his father’s estate on the grounds of no taxation without representation.

Despite his long involvement with Friends, Paul Cuffe did not join Westport Monthly Meeting until 1806, when he was forty-nine. He dressed in the manner of Friends, wearing Quaker gray along with a wide-brimmed black hat. In mid-September 1810 Cuffe shared a leading he was experiencing with his meeting: to establish a trading community in Sierra Leone that would trade goods instead of humans. A committee was appointed to meet with and advise him on this matter. During the October business meeting a letter of recommendation was read and approved, and Cuffe also received a traveling minute from New England Yearly Meeting for this undertaking. It was the first of three minutes Cuffe would receive from for his travels related to establishing this system of commerce in Sierra Leone.

Cuffe became an important and well-respected member of the Religious Society of Friends. During Westport’s January 1813 business meeting Cuffe was one of six members appointed to rebuild the old meetinghouse. At yearly meeting sessions in 1815 he was asked by the Meeting for Sufferings to help make decisions about the Meeting House in Boston.

paul-cuffe.jpg

The 1842 seal of Captain Paul Cuffe,
showing his brig Traveler in which he
provided passage for freed slaves to
Sierra Leone (photo courtesy New
Bedford Whaling Museum)

More Resources on Paul Cuffe:

• “Paul Cuffe: Early Pan-Africanist”; By Rosalind Cobb Wiggins; in Black Quakers, Brief Biographies; Kenneth Ives, Editor; Progresiv Publishr, 1995; (out of print, available at some libraries)

• Captain Paul Cuffe’s Logs and Letters, 1808-1817: A Black Quaker’s Voice from within the Veil; By Rosalind Cobb Wiggins; Howard University Press, 1996

• Memoir of Captain Paul Cuffe, Liverpool Mercury; Africans in America Resource Bank, WGBH Boston

• Rise to Be A People; By Lamont D. Thomas; University of Illinois Press, 1986

steamboatcap.gif

Paul Cuffe Memorial Fellowship

http://www.theroot.com/multimedia/work-live-earn-multiply
http://www.fgcquaker.org/fit-for-freedom/paul-cuffe

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

C h a r l e s ● C l i n t o n ● S p a u l d i n g

A a r o n ● M c D u f f i e ● M o o r e

J o h n ● M e r r i c k

north%20carolina%20mutual.jpg

In 1898, followers of Booker T. Washington's economic philosophy -- Charles Clinton Spaulding, medical doctor Aaron McDuffie Moore, and ex-slave and entrepreneur John Merrick -- founded the first black-owned and -managed insurance company, North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co. In 1934 it was the nation's largest black-owned business, and it is still one of the nation's oldest black-owned businesses today.

Founders and Early Builder

John Merrick - the first dreamer and leader. A former slave, who learned to read and write in a Reconstruction School. He later became a brick mason in Raleigh, North Carolina and learned the barber trade during a lull in construction. Subsequently, he moved to Durham owning several barber shops, some of which catered to wealthy white men. He was involved in real estate and the Royal Knights of King David, a fraternal benefit society. It was there, Merrick got the notion of life insurance from the very popular mutual benefit societies developing in the south. A seed had been planted. Merrick was born on September 7, 1859 and died August 6, 1919.

Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore - A humanitarian. Born September 6, 1863 of free parents. He taught high school for several years and attended medical school at Shaw University's Leonard Medical School. He was the first Black person to practice medicine in the city of Durham. Dr. Moore was the Company's first treasurer and wielded wide influence in the city. He was instrumental in starting other enterprises such as a drug company, Lincoln Hospital and a library. He became president of the Company following Merrick's death in 1919. He devoted full time to working for North Carolina Mutual until his death in 1923.

Charles Clinton Spaulding - The builder. Born in Columbus County, North Carolina, August 1, 1874. He came to Durham at age twenty and attended high school graduating in 1898. He began his career as a part-time agent with the Company and went on to become general manager in less than a year. Spaulding served in various capacities, i.e., as agent, clerk, janitor and general manager. He was named president in 1923, a post he held until his death in 1952. In addition to his career in life insurance, he was widely respected. Mr. Spaulding served on Howard University's board of trustees from 1936 until his death in 1952.​

Since its beginning in 1898, North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company has grown to become one of the nation's most widely-known and successful business institutions. It is the only insurance company domiciled in North Carolina with a charter dated before 1900. North Carolina Mutual is the oldest and largest African American life insurance company in the United States.

The Company's seven organizers were men who were active in business, educational, medical and civic life of the Durham community. An early financial crisis tested their resolve and the company was reorganized in 1900 with only John Merrick and Dr. Aaron M. Moore remaining. Charles C. Spaulding was named General Manager, under whose direction the company grew and achieved national prominence.

The Company has had nine presidents in its history: John Merrick, Dr. Aaron M. Moore, Charles C. Spaulding, William J. Kennedy Jr., Asa T. Spaulding, J.W. Goodloe, William J. Kennedy III, Bert Collins and James H. Speed Jr., who assumed office January 1, 2004.

During its existence, North Carolina Mutual has been a catalyst for minority, social and economic development. Racial self-help and uplift are traditions of the Company dating back to its founding. The phrase "merciful to all" was the company's first motto. With a sense of corporate social consciousness and responsibility, the Company formulated its concept of the Double-Duty Dollar. Modeled after popular mutual benefit societies the concept was based on the premise that income from insurance sales could be channeled back into the community. Throughout its history, the Company has had programs to build strong black families and communities through jobs, investments, loans, contributions and support of social programs.

http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/pages/about.html

<font size="4"><center>

A short film about the "Mutual" that was a featured trailer
in black movie theaters circa 1940</font size>
</center>

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/videos/past_present_future.html" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=500>
<A HREF="http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/videos/past_present_future.html">link</A>

</IFRAME>

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Recy Taylor​

A Symbol of Jim Crow's Forgotten Horror

An Unsung Heroine

AP101007045079-400.jpg

After her brutal gang rape, Recy Taylor became a global symbol
of American injustice and helped inspire the civil rights movement

Sept. 3, 1944: It's a damp evening in the Alabama black belt, nearly midnight, but services at Rock Hill Holiness Church in the small town of Abbeville have just let out. Recy Taylor, a 24-year-old sharecropper, sets out along the town's fertile peanut plantations, accompanied for the walk home by two other worshippers from the African-American congregation. Moments later, a green Chevrolet rolls by -- and their routine journey takes a horrifying turn.

Wielding knives and guns, seven white men get out of the car, according to Taylor and witnesses from a state investigation of the case. One shoves Taylor in the backseat; the rest squeeze in after her and ride off. Her panicked friends run to tell the sheriff.

After parking in a deserted grove of pecan trees, the men order the young wife and mother out at gunpoint, shouting at her to undress. Six of them rape Taylor that night. Once finished, they drive her back to the road, ordering her out again before roaring off into the darkness.

Days after the brutal attack, Taylor's story traveled through word of mouth, catching the attention of a Montgomery NAACP activist named Rosa Parks. A seasoned anti-rape crusader, who focused on the sexual assaults of black women that were commonplace in the segregated South, Parks would eventually help bring the case international notice. Despite her efforts, however, in Jim Crow-era Alabama, Taylor's assailants were never punished.

It's curious, to say the least, that Taylor's name is not mentioned in history books. While most analyses of circumstances that inspired the civil rights movement focus on black men -- being lynched or railroaded into jail, or facing down segregationists -- the stories of countless black women like Recy Taylor, who were raped by white men during the same era, have gone understated, if not overlooked entirely.

Nearly 70 years later, having such a brutal attack swept under the rug is still a source of pain for a surviving victim.

"Wasn't nothing done about it," Taylor, now 91, told The Root in a phone interview from her Florida home. "The sheriff never even said he was sorry it happened. I think more people should know about it … but ain't nobody [in Abbeville] saying nothing."

Organizing a National Movement

At the time, others -- more than she ever knew -- did speak out in defense of Taylor. Her brother Robert Corbitt, now 74, was just 8 years old when his eldest sister was kidnapped, but he remembers that night well, and all that followed.

He recalls crying on the porch of their childhood home as their father, Benny Corbitt, went out looking for her. "He came back by the house about three times, and each time, his shirt was wringing with sweat," he told The Root. "Nobody slept that night."

Two days later, he remembers, someone threw a firebomb at the home of Taylor, her husband and their 3-year-old daughter. "After that, they moved in with us," said Corbitt. "At night, my father would sit in a tree and guard the house with a shotgun."

The following month, in a farce of a grand jury trial at which none of the assailants even showed up, an all-white, all-male jury elected not to indict.

The family didn't know it back then, but Parks, dispatched by the Montgomery NAACP to investigate the case, was setting the gears in motion for a far-reaching campaign. "Miss Parks told me to go with her to Montgomery until things were clear," said Taylor, who stayed for three months in a rooming house, arranged for by Parks, before returning home. "She was trying to get something done. I'm not sure what. I was young and didn't know nothing about law and stuff like that."

Parks saw an opportunity to hold up Taylor's story as a national example of Southern injustice. She partnered with other progressive groups -- including the now mostly forgotten Southern Negro Youth Congress, the defense team of the Scottsboro Boys, the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters and other labor organizers, as well as communist networks -- to form the Alabama Committee for Equal Justice for Mrs. Recy Taylor. The coalition became a national movement that the Chicago Defender called "the strongest campaign for equal justice to be seen in a decade," and daily stories on the case were printed in newspapers across the nation, from Baltimore to Los Angeles.

But not in the tiny town of Abbeville, where Taylor's family was largely unaware of the proceedings. Corbitt had quite a shock, years later, as a soldier stationed in Germany. "A German guy asked me where I was from, and when I told him Alabama, he started to tell a story he knew about that happened there," he said. "He was talking about my sister."

Danielle McGuire, an assistant professor of history at Wayne State University and author of the recently published book At the Dark End of the Street, documenting Taylor's story as well as others from the civil rights era, says that the broader goal of the Committee for Equal Justice was to quash the legacy of Jim Crow. "They used the horror of her story to highlight the hypocrisy of the United States -- at war around the world for democracy, and yet there was no democracy at home," McGuire told The Root. "They might have not seen Recy Taylor as sophisticated enough to be a spokesperson for the campaign, so a lot of this was organized without the family's knowledge."

The effort included a massive letter-writing campaign to Alabama Gov. Chauncey Sparks in order to shame the state into bringing Taylor's abductors to trial. Worried about the impact on Alabama's reputation, Sparks arranged an investigation and even got admission statements from the assailants. "He and the attorney general believed the guys were guilty, and they were ready to do something," explained McGuire. The only problem was that in Alabama law, a criminal case can't proceed without an indictment in the county where the crime happened.

"They just were not going to indict their neighbors and sons in Abbeville," said McGuire. There was no further hearing.

A Forgotten History

As the years passed, talk of the incident faded out. Somewhere along the way, it seems that history also forgot Recy Taylor and black women like her, many of whom also testified about the crimes committed against them. Although some African-American historians, such as Darlene Clark Hine, have cited incidents of rape as catalysts for the Great Migration, it hasn't been part of the civil rights story in the major historical world.

"I think that has to do with, on some level, historians having a narrow focus on what 'civil rights' means," said McGuire. "It has always meant voter registration and desegregation of public accommodations and schools, but in the 1940s in particular, the movement was really focused on human rights."

Meanwhile, Taylor and her family did their best to forget and move on. Corbitt eventually settled in New York City, but during a visit home in 1999, he and his sister got to talking about the rape. "She started to cry," he said. "I didn't realize she was still hurting that bad. She tried to hold it inside all those years, but she talked freely to me. When I retired in 2001 and moved back to Abbeville, I decided to devote my time to trying to find some way to help her get justice."

Corbitt spent days at the library, poring over microfilms of newspapers from the era. Nothing turned up but missing pages. The county courthouse had no record of the incident. He had nearly given up when, in 2008, he typed his sister's name into an online search engine. Up popped an essay by Danielle McGuire referencing the case. Finally: historical recognition that this had happened.

"The article said the name of the man that held the gun on her and forced her to get in the car," Corbitt said. "Just exposing this man's name was a little measure of justice."

After meeting McGuire and learning more about Abbeville's handling of his sister's assault, he redirected his anger from the rapists to the police. "All of the men admitted that they kidnapped and raped her, but the police covered for them and said they didn't do it," he said. "That was a hard pill to swallow."

Corbitt doesn't think he's asking for much these days. "I'd like a public apology from the city of Abbeville and the state of Alabama," he said. "Most of the white people here don't know anything about what happened, because the police kept it such a secret."

It's unclear what legal options the family has today, but because Alabama has no statute of limitations on rape, McGuire posits that Taylor's case could potentially be reopened if the assailants are still alive. "There may be a possibility that they could sue the county or sheriff's department for obstruction of justice, given the cover-up," she said. "A creative attorney could certainly find a way."

As for Taylor, she agrees with her brother that an apology is the least anyone could do. She also blames herself for some of the hush-hush nature of her story. "I should have talked more about it too myself," she said. "At the time, I didn't want nobody to think something like that happened to me. I thought folks were going to talk about me and say, 'You was raped.' I was ashamed of it, and I didn't know how to go about talking about it."

She pauses, lost for a moment in her thoughts. "It was a long time ago," she says finally. "But I still think something should have been done about it."

By: Cynthia Gordy, a Washington reporter for The Root. Follow her on Twitter.

http://www.theroot.com/views/recy-taylor-symbol-jim-crow-s-forgotten-horror?page=0,0

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

A.G. Gaston

a Multitalented Entrepreneur

gaston_custom.jpg

The Alabama native, born in 1893, was a disciple of
Booker T. Washington's gospel of learning a skilled trade and owning a business.
A.G. Gaston sold burial insurance, made caskets, was an undertaker and opened
a cemetery. Later he opened a business college, radio stations, a savings and
loan, and a motel. An ardent backstage civil rights supporter, Gaston wanted to
turn black power into green power. He died at age 103 in 1996.

By the 1960s, Arthur G. Gaston was probably the richest black man in America. He was the leading employer of blacks in Alabama and directly and indirectly gave substantial aid and comfort to the civil rights movement. In the decade after the Montgomery bus boycott, Martin Luther King Jr. and his allies used the A. G. Gaston Motel in Birmingham, Alabama, as a safe refuge to plan their activities. When Eugene “Bull” Connor, the notorious commissioner of public safety, had King arrested in 1963, Gaston put up the $160,000 bail money from his own pocket.

Despite these contributions, Gaston’s name does not appear in three main survey texts of black history: Darlene Clark Hines’s The African-American Odyssey (Upper Saddle River, N. J.: Prentice Hall, 2005); Joe William Trotter Jr.’s The African-American Experience (New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 2000); and John Hope Franklin’s From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994). All three compound their neglect by failing to mention other leading black entrepreneurs, such as the remarkable S. B. Fuller, Gaston’s main business rival during the 1950s and 1960s.

Born in 1893, Gaston grew up in poverty in the small town of Demopolis, Alabama. He was the son of a manual railroad worker and a cook for a prominent white family. When he was a teenager, the entire family moved to the booming industrial city of Birmingham, Alabama. His mother went to work for A. B. Loveman, a wealthy Jewish department store owner.

As is true for most entrepreneurs, Gaston’s rise up the economic ladder can be traced to a combination of luck and pluck. The connection to the Loveman family nurtured a favorable environment for a future business career. Loveman stood out as a model of how to prosper through long hours of hard work and careful attention to investments. The philanthropies of his wife, Minnie Loveman, were instrumental in Gaston’s decision to enroll as a student at the Tuggle Institute.

The institute’s organizational founder and chief sponsor was the Order of Calanthe, the women’s auxiliary of the Colored Knights of Pythias. Among black fraternal societies, the Knights represented a major force for mutual aid and social mobilization in the decades after the Civil War. The Tuggle Institute closely followed Booker T. Washington’s teaching methods of “industrial education” in the skilled trades and business. The Wizard of Tuskegee often visited the campus to deliver speeches of encouragement. From then on, Gaston was an enthusiastic disciple. Washington’s autobiography Up from Slavery was the first book he owned. Gaston’s favorite passage stated that “[e]very persecuted individual and race should get much consolation out of the great human law, which is universal and eternal, that merit, no matter under what skin found, is in the long run recognized and rewarded.... [T]he Negro ... should make himself, through skill, intelligence, and character, of such undeniable value to the community in which he lived that the community could not dispense with his presence” (qtd. on p. 41).

Although A. B. Loveman’s example and the education received at the Tuggle Institute helped to propel Gaston forward, it took many years for him to make significant headway. He fortunately took note of the trials and errors of earlier black businessmen in Birmingham, such as the bankers Charles M. “Boss” Harris and William Pettiford.

After serving in World War I, Gaston drove a delivery truck for a white-owned dry-cleaning company and, at perhaps the lowest point of his life, toiled as a coal miner. He was always alert to any opportunity to better his condition, though, no matter how modest. He tried out an idea to turn a profit by selling boxed lunches prepared by his mother to his fellow miners. It was such a success that he started to sell popcorn and peanuts on the side. Gaston saved an amazing two-thirds of his combined income at this time. Once he had enough money in hand, he took on the informal role of banker, extending loans at 25 percent interest to his coworkers.

Soon Gaston quit mining to set up the Booker T. Washington Burial Society, originally modeled after a fraternal order. It prospered in great part because of his carefully crafted alliance with black ministers who steered business to it from their congregations. He attracted still more customers by sponsoring gospel singers as well as Alabama’s “first regular Negro radio program” (p. 99).

Gaston was a pioneer among black entrepreneurs in the aggressive use of vertical integration. He began with insurance but moved on to control other parts of the process, such as undertaking and casket manufacturing. He also purchased a cemetery. “As Carnegie was to steel,” Jenkins and Hines perceptively observe, “Gaston was to dying” (p. 156).

Over time, Gaston branched out into other ventures, including the Booker T. Washington Business College; the Brown Belle Bottling Company (his only significant failure); the Citizens Federal Savings and Loan Association, one of the leading black-owned banks in the United States; and the A. G. Gaston Motel in Birmingham. The motel, which opened in 1954, featured performances by such entertainers as Stevie Wonder and Little Richard, and the guest list included Colin Powell.

Throughout his life, Gaston persistently but quietly and discreetly promoted voting rights and equal treatment for blacks. As early as the 1920s, he was urging his customers not only to save their money, but to register. Many whites did not appreciate this activity. “We were constantly plagued with traffic citations,” Gaston recalled. “We couldn’t park cars or hearses in front of our building. Our employees could not drive to make a bank deposit without getting a ticket on some pretext” (p. 112). Thirty years later, Autherine Lucy rode to campus in Gaston’s car in 1956 when she registered as the first black student at the University of Alabama, and he gave her financial aid. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, such key civil rights leaders as Fred Shuttlesworth, King, and Ralph Abernathy rented the Gaston Motel’s best suite at reduced rates for use as a “war room” (p. 195) to plan civil rights actions. In retaliation, someone planted a bomb that blew off the motel’s facade in 1963.

Gaston’s wealth and cordial ties with the white elite gave him a certain amount of clout that others did not have. His favorite methods were quiet negotiation, deal making, and, if necessary, private threats. He was often effective. For example, the “White’s Only” signs on the drinking fountains of the First National Bank came down after Gaston threatened to pull his account. Many have forgotten the extent to which blacks were exerting economic pressure successfully to bring integration in the decade before the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Like his mentor Washington, however, Gaston always put greater stress on long-term economic improvement than on short-term civil rights struggles. More than once, this approach put him at odds with men such as Fred Shuttlesworth and King, who wanted to push faster and to deemphasize quiet compromise. Events such as the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing and Bull Connor’s decision to sic the dogs on protestors prompted Gaston at times to take action faster than he would have liked. More than a few resented his display of wealth, which included a palatial home.

During the 1960s, Gaston was a voice in the wilderness as an apostle of the need for blacks to accumulate “Green Power” by going into business. Only in the last few years before his death at age 103 in 1996 was he able to witness the first glimmerings of a reawakened interest in the importance of business enterprise.

Black Titan is a well-written and balanced study of one of the leading black entrepreneurs of the twentieth century. Jenkins and Hines put Gaston into the broader context of black history and give proper due to the influence of Booker T. Washington and the enabling role of mutual-aid networks. Although the authors are Gaston’s relatives, they never lose their scholarly detachment. The book features a nuanced and enlightening discussion of Gaston’s complex relationship with the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. For example, the authors note that although the more radical Shuttlesworth and the more conservative Gaston often tangled, they also knew how to team up through a “good cop—bad cop” (p. 185) approach to achieve common objectives. None other than Ralph Abernathy, the future president of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, later characterized Gaston as “very sympathetic to our cause and very generous with his financial support” (p. 196).

Jenkins and Hines are on shakier ground, however, in some broad generalizations about U.S. economic history. For example, they dismiss as a “trap” (p. 68) the company town of Westfield, Alabama, where Gaston was a miner, because workers there paid excessive prices and rents and were condemned to perpetual debt. But they never give a source to back up this claim. They also do not consider the work of such authors as Price V. Fishback on this subject (Soft Coal, Hard Choices: The Economic Welfare of Bituminous Coal Miners, 1890–930 [New York: Oxford University Press, 1992]). Fishback found that overall prices and rents in company towns were not unusually high and that most workers did not carry burdensome long-term debt. If the company town of Westfield was an exception to this picture, the authors should have told us more about how and why.

A few errors and omissions also creep into the analysis of the Great Depression. Jenkins and Hines attribute the crisis to one of two causes: unequal distribution of wealth or uncontrolled speculation. They do not consider the influence of monetary factors or bad policies such as the tariff increases. They favorably quote Howard Zinn’s contention that companies cut wages “again, and again” (p. 103), but they do not mention the evidence showing that real wages were actually higher in 1933 than in 1929 (see Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Galloway, Out of Work: Unemployment and Government in Twentieth-Century America [New York: New York University Press, 1993]). Jenkins and Hines also report that the rate of starvation in New York City quadrupled in 1934 over the previous year “despite Hoover’s proclamations to the contrary” (p. 104). A key problem with this claim is that Hoover left office in March 1933.

Jenkins and Hines note that Gaston was a long-time Democrat but do not explain how this affiliation came about. They do not discuss his attitude toward the Republican Party, which as late as 1956 received the votes of Martin Luther King Jr., Ralph Abernathy, and other prominent blacks. Given Gaston’s conservative views, the question naturally arises: Why didn’t he support the party of Lincoln?

The authors might have considered more the extent to which the civil rights movement was the by-product of the economic foundation first laid by individuals such as Washington and Gaston. Sometimes the authors needlessly second-guess Gaston’s decisions. Noting that Gaston made a “significant profit” during the depression by purchasing government scrip from teachers for fifty cents on the dollar and later redeeming the scrip at face value when the crisis passed, they add: “If Gaston had reservations about the ethics of the exchange, he never mentioned them” (p. 108). Readers might ask in return: Why should Gaston have had reservations? Wasn’t he performing a service at a considerable long-term personal risk?

These criticisms, most of which relate to background issues, do not undermine the book’s considerable strengths. Jenkins and Hines are at their best when they focus on Arthur G. Gaston as a man, an entrepreneur, and a community leader. Most important, they shed more light on a subject that historians still neglect: the pioneering role that black entrepreneurs played as engineers and drivers of black economic uplift and civil rights.
By:

David T. Beito
University of Alabama

Linda Royster Beito
Stillman College

<IFRAME SRC="http://aggastonexpo.com/index.php/?p=125" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://aggastonexpo.com/index.php/?p=125">link</A>

</IFRAME>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Many have heard of Denmark Vesey, but few have heard of Charles Deslondes.

Charles Deslondes and the 1811 German Coast Uprising.

CD2.jpg

source: African American Registry

Date:
Tue, 1811-01-08

On this date in 1811, Black slaves rebelled against their white masters in Louisiana. Charles Deslondes and other slaves began the revolt on the plantation of Manual Andry.

The Deslondes plantation surrounded the Andry plantation. Charles was a field laborer on the Deslondes plantation where he was born. At the time of the revolt, he was about 31 years old. The Andry plantation was the site of an arsenal for the local militia. On the night of January 8, it began to rain, but the rebels stuck to their plans; they began by overwhelming Gilbert Andry and his son. After they discovered that the arsenal had been removed, they killed Andry’s son. Colonel Andry was sparred.

Armed with cane knives, hoses, clubs, and a few guns, the rebels began the march down River Road towards New Orleans. They were motivated by the French slogan "sur la Orleans" as only three slaves out of the 141 rebels were known to have spoken some English. As planned, they gained participants as they moved from plantation to plantation along the east bank of the Mississippi River. There is considerable disagreement on how well organized the rebels were. The only eyewitness testimony says they were formed clan-like similar to their tribal associations of Africa. The rebels attacked and burned five empty plantations; most of the owners were already in New Orleans at the start of the revolt.

Most of the owners did not "flee" to New Orleans; they crossed the river to assemble the militia. The Fifth Militia Regiment, under Major Charles Perret, began chasing the rebels at around 9 a.m. on January 9, with only 21 men. When he discovered that the rebels, camped on the farm of Jacques Fortier, numbered about 200, he returned to Judge St. Martin's house to report what he saw. The militia gathered more men and planned to attack the rebels early the next morning. The rebels were able to cross about 25 miles before being stopped on January 10 by U. S. troops from New Orleans. That morning, Major Perret, with only 60 men, attacked the rebels. After the initial volley, most of them surrendered.

The slave owners had fled to New Orleans and territorial governor William C. C. Claiborne had dispatched the company to put down the rebellion. The majority of rebels were either captured or escaped into the swamps, leaving a much smaller group of rebels to face the militia. Deslondes was one of the first to leave the battlefield. He was caught two days later; he was tried and executed on Andry's plantation. Before the end, he and his compatriots freed about 25 miles of territory; they then back tracked 15 of those miles and were stopped by a force of militia three to four times smaller than the rebel "army.” was The rebels left at least 2 slave owners killed and 3 plantations burned completely to the ground.

The leaders, on horseback, made the fastest escape and fled into the swamps chased by the Militia. The captured prisoners (numbering three times their captors) were taken to the Destrehan plantation. The "Army,” under command of General Hampton did not arrive on the scene until January 11. ninety-five slaves were killed or tried and executed because of this revolt. Fifty-six of those slaves captured on the January 10 and involved in the revolt were returned to their masters. thirty more slaves were captured, but they had been forced to join the revolt by Charles Deslondes and his men and were also returned to their masters.

At least three slaves were killed by the rebels for not wanting to participate in the revolt. Following the required 40-day waiting period, seven slaves were freed after the revolt as a result of their actions to prevent it.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
fred_shuttlesworth72708b.jpg

source: msnbc

Civil rights leader Shuttlesworth dies

Truck driver became pastor of Bethel Baptist Church in Birmingham

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, who was bombed, beaten and repeatedly arrested in the fight for civil rights and hailed by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. for his courage and energy, has died. He was 89.

Princeton Baptist Medical Center spokeswoman Jennifer Dodd confirmed he died at the Birmingham hospital Wednesday morning..

Shuttlesworth, a former truck driver who studied religion at night, became pastor of Bethel Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala., in 1953 and soon was an outspoken leader in the fight for racial equality.

"My church was a beehive," Shuttlesworth once said. "I made the movement. I made the challenge. Birmingham was the citadel of segregation, and the people wanted to march."

In his 1963 book "Why We Can't Wait," King called Shuttlesworth "one of the nation's the most courageous freedom fighters ... a wiry, energetic and indomitable man."

He survived a 1956 bombing, an assault during a 1957 demonstration, chest injuries when Birmingham authorities turned fire hoses on demonstrators in 1963, and countless arrests.

"I went to jail 30 or 40 times, not for fighting or stealing or drugs," Shuttlesworth told grade school students in 1997. "I went to jail for a good thing, trying to make a difference."

He visited frequently and remained active in the movement in Alabama even after moving in 1961 to Cincinnati, where he was a pastor for most of the next 47 years. He moved back to Birmingham in February 2008 for rehabilitation after a mild stroke. That summer, the once-segregated city honored him with a four-day tribute and named its airport after him; his statue stands outside the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.

And in November 2008, Shuttlesworth watched from a hospital bed as Sen. Barack Obama was elected the nation's first African-American president. The year before, Obama had pushed Shuttlesworth's wheelchair across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma during a commemoration of the Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march.

In the early 1960s, Shuttlesworth had invited King back to Birmingham. Televised scenes of police dogs and fire hoses being turned on black marchers, including children, in spring 1963 helped the rest of the nation grasp the depth of racial animosity in the Deep South.

Referring to the city's notoriously racist safety commissioner, Shuttlesworth would tell followers, "We're telling ol' 'Bull' Connor right here tonight that we're on the march and we're not going to stop marching until we get our rights."

According to a May 1963 New York Times profile of Shuttlesworth, Connor responded to the word Shuttlesworth had been injured by the spray of fire hoses by saying: "I'm sorry I missed it. ... I wish they'd carried him away in a hearse."

While King went on to international fame, Shuttlesworth was relatively little known outside Alabama. But he was a key figure in Spike Lee's 1997 documentary, "4 Little Girls," about the September 1963 Birmingham church bombing that killed four black children.

He also gained attention in Diane McWhorter's book "Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution," which won a Pulitzer Prize in 2002.

Shuttlesworth was born March 18, 1922, near Montgomery and grew up in Birmingham.

As a child, he knew he would either be a minister or a doctor and by 1943, he decided to enter the ministry. He began taking theological courses at night while working as a truck driver and cement worker during the day. He was licensed to preach in 1944 and ordained in 1948.

It was 1954 when King, then a pastor in Montgomery, came to Birmingham to give a speech and asked to stop by Bethel Baptist and meet Shuttlesworth. Shuttlesworth already knew the Rev. Ralph Abernathy, who became a key aide to King, as they both attended Alabama State College, later known as Selma University.

Meanwhile, in Montgomery, Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a city bus in late 1955, prompting the boycott led by King that gave new life to the civil rights movement.

In January 1956, King's Montgomery home was bombed while he attended a rally. Eleven months later, on Christmas night 1956, 16 sticks of dynamite were detonated outside Shuttlesworth's bedroom as he slept at the Bethel Baptist parsonage. No one was injured in either bombing, although shards of glass and wood pierced Shuttleworth's coat and hat, which were hanging on a hook.

The next day, Shuttlesworth led 250 people in a protest of segregation on buses in Birmingham.

In 1957, he was beaten by a mob when he tried to enroll two of his children in an all-white school in Birmingham.
In Cincinnati, Shuttlesworth left Revelation Baptist Church and became pastor of the Greater New Light Baptist Church in 1966. He also founded a foundation to help low-income people make down payments on homes.

In 2004, he was president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference for about three months. The troubled organization's board had suspended Shuttlesworth without giving a reason after he tried to fire a longtime official. He resigned, saying board members tried to micromanage the organization.

He was 84 when he retired as the pastor of Greater New Light in 2006. "The best thing we can do is be a servant of God," he said in his final sermon. "It does good to stand up and serve others."

GhostofMarcus

Star
Registered

C h a r l e s ● C l i n t o n ● S p a u l d i n g

A a r o n ● M c D u f f i e ● M o o r e

J o h n ● M e r r i c k

north%20carolina%20mutual.jpg

In 1898, followers of Booker T. Washington's economic philosophy -- Charles Clinton Spaulding, medical doctor Aaron McDuffie Moore, and ex-slave and entrepreneur John Merrick -- founded the first black-owned and -managed insurance company, North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co. In 1934 it was the nation's largest black-owned business, and it is still one of the nation's oldest black-owned businesses today.

Founders and Early Builder

John Merrick - the first dreamer and leader. A former slave, who learned to read and write in a Reconstruction School. He later became a brick mason in Raleigh, North Carolina and learned the barber trade during a lull in construction. Subsequently, he moved to Durham owning several barber shops, some of which catered to wealthy white men. He was involved in real estate and the Royal Knights of King David, a fraternal benefit society. It was there, Merrick got the notion of life insurance from the very popular mutual benefit societies developing in the south. A seed had been planted. Merrick was born on September 7, 1859 and died August 6, 1919.

Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore - A humanitarian. Born September 6, 1863 of free parents. He taught high school for several years and attended medical school at Shaw University's Leonard Medical School. He was the first Black person to practice medicine in the city of Durham. Dr. Moore was the Company's first treasurer and wielded wide influence in the city. He was instrumental in starting other enterprises such as a drug company, Lincoln Hospital and a library. He became president of the Company following Merrick's death in 1919. He devoted full time to working for North Carolina Mutual until his death in 1923.

Charles Clinton Spaulding - The builder. Born in Columbus County, North Carolina, August 1, 1874. He came to Durham at age twenty and attended high school graduating in 1898. He began his career as a part-time agent with the Company and went on to become general manager in less than a year. Spaulding served in various capacities, i.e., as agent, clerk, janitor and general manager. He was named president in 1923, a post he held until his death in 1952. In addition to his career in life insurance, he was widely respected. Mr. Spaulding served on Howard University's board of trustees from 1936 until his death in 1952.​

Since its beginning in 1898, North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company has grown to become one of the nation's most widely-known and successful business institutions. It is the only insurance company domiciled in North Carolina with a charter dated before 1900. North Carolina Mutual is the oldest and largest African American life insurance company in the United States.

The Company's seven organizers were men who were active in business, educational, medical and civic life of the Durham community. An early financial crisis tested their resolve and the company was reorganized in 1900 with only John Merrick and Dr. Aaron M. Moore remaining. Charles C. Spaulding was named General Manager, under whose direction the company grew and achieved national prominence.

The Company has had nine presidents in its history: John Merrick, Dr. Aaron M. Moore, Charles C. Spaulding, William J. Kennedy Jr., Asa T. Spaulding, J.W. Goodloe, William J. Kennedy III, Bert Collins and James H. Speed Jr., who assumed office January 1, 2004.

During its existence, North Carolina Mutual has been a catalyst for minority, social and economic development. Racial self-help and uplift are traditions of the Company dating back to its founding. The phrase "merciful to all" was the company's first motto. With a sense of corporate social consciousness and responsibility, the Company formulated its concept of the Double-Duty Dollar. Modeled after popular mutual benefit societies the concept was based on the premise that income from insurance sales could be channeled back into the community. Throughout its history, the Company has had programs to build strong black families and communities through jobs, investments, loans, contributions and support of social programs.

http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/pages/about.html

<font size="4"><center>

A short film about the "Mutual" that was a featured trailer
in black movie theaters circa 1940</font size>
</center>

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/videos/past_present_future.html" WIDTH=760 HEIGHT=500>
<A HREF="http://www.ncmutuallife.com/newsite/videos/past_present_future.html">link</A>

</IFRAME>

My first job when I moved to Durham was working at the NC Mutual building.

To add to your post There is also a black bank in the NC Mutual Building.

logo.gif

Our History

M&F Bank, a state-chartered commercial bank, was organized in 1907 under the authority of a
charter issued by the Legislature of the State of North Carolina . The original incorporators were
a group of nine prominent businessmen, headed by R. B. Fitzgerald. The other incorporators included:
J. A. Dodson, J. R. Hawkins, John Merrick, Aaron M. Moore, W.G. Pearson, James E. Shepard, G. W.
Stephens, and Stanford L. Warren.

Many people today lack appreciation of the origin of the Bank's name. The founders and original
customers represented various trades, crafts and professions in which the African American
community had achieved success and prominence, so "Mechanics" likely was derived from the legal
term "mechanics lien" that grouped such occupations together. Additionally, most of North Carolina 's
wealth at the turn of the 20 th century was based on the ownership of real property, especially
farmland, hence the term "Farmers." That means the name "Mechanics and Farmers" denotes that
this Bank is an institution dedicated to serving all facets of the community.

Last edited by a moderator:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<IFRAME SRC="http://www.theroot.com/multimedia/rare-images-black-history-timeline" WIDTH=755 HEIGHT=900>
<A HREF="http://www.theroot.com/multimedia/rare-images-black-history-timeline">link</A>

</IFRAME>

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Hollywood has produced numerous movies addressing these heroes. Movies like "The Longest Day and Saving Private Ryan" are two of the biggest I remember. But if you noticed in neither movie did you see one black person. Were we there? Indeed we were.

320th ANTI-AIRCRAFT BALLOON BATTALION (VLA)​

omahasecured.jpg

britlcts.jpg

American Heroes of Normandy Beach - World War II

All documents and photos submitted by

Bill A. Davison
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

Balloon Umbrella Raised on D-Day Has Sheltered the Beachheads Since

By Allan Morrison
(Stars and Stripes Staff Writer)

A U. S. BEACHHEAD, July 5, 1944 -- During and since D-Day barrage balloons flown by a Negro barrage balloon battalion have provided a screen of rubber several miles long on the two main beachheads, assisting in the protection of troop landings and the unloading of supplies.

There are two significant aspects of this outfit's work. First, the VLA (very low altitude) balloon confounded skeptics on their part in keeping enemy raiders above effective strafing altitude.

Second, the unit has the distinction of being the only Negro combat group included in the first assault forces to hit the coasts.

The balloons were flown across the channel from hundreds of landing craft, three men to a balloon, and taken ashore under savage fire from enemy batteries. Some of the men died alongside the infantrymen they came in to protect, and their balloons drifted off. But the majority struggled to shore with their balloons and light winches and set up for operation in foxholes on the beach.

The balloons still fly as protective umbrellas, some from the sites taken under 88 fire, others snugly established in former German hill fortifications. Many of the crews live in German pillboxes built into the cliffs and man their balloons around the clock.

The balloons are armed with a lethal device attached to the cable. Should an enemy pilot try to fly through the barrage and strike a cable, the device releases a "flying mine" which explodes against the plane.

The unit's first kill came recently when a JU88 ran afoul of the cable supporting the balloon commanded by Cpl. George Alston, of Norfolk, Virginia.

Pride of the battalion is a group of medics who covered themselves with glory on D-Day by landing in the face of heavy fire to set up a first aid station on that beach.

The men praised by the unit's CO, Lt. Col. Leon Reed, of Middlesboro, Kentucky, are: Capt. Robert E Devitt, Chicago, Illinois; S/Sgt. Alfred Bell, Memphis, Tennessee; Cpl. Waverly B. Woodson Jr., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Cpl. Eugene Worthy, Memphis, Tennessee, and Pfc Warren W. Capers, Kenbridge, Virginia. All have been recommended for decorations.

http://www.bjmjr.net/ww2/320aabb_index.htm

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
The Tuskegee Airmen recently gained recognition for their contributions during WWII in the recent movie Red Tails. But long before the Tuskegee Airmen was The Lafayette Escadrille formed in April 20, 1916 who flew a fighter planes during WWI.

No they didn't fly for the US. This country was still far too racist in its way of thinking to allow that. The Lafayette Escadrille like many other blacks fought for the French. Yes Black men fought durning WWI a fact that pretty much was unknown prior to the internet. Within 2 1/2 years The Lafayette Escadrille is credited with 900+ kills and 72 aces.

In 1954 Eugene Jacques Bullard, along with two other French veterans, was invited by French President Charles de Gaulle to light the flame of the Unknown Soldier at the Arc of Triumph in Paris. I believe he was also decorated by de Gaulle during this time.

WWI_Planes_51s.jpg

A largely unsung and unknown hero of the Lafayette Flying Corps was the fascinating Eugene Jacques Bullard. He was an African-American from Columbus, Georgia who would become the first African-American pilot. The son of a freed slave, he left Columbus by himself to move to Atlanta while still in his teenage years. He had been told that the way to escape racial prejudice was to head to Europe, particularly France. A long time back, his father had pointed out to him that Bullard was a French name and that at least one ancestor had hailed from there. So from Atlanta, he moved to London and then soon after to Paris. There he became a boxer and did relatively well. France had been good to Bullard, and he had quickly fallen in love with the country. So when World War I broke out, Bullard signed up for the French Foreign Legion. He was assigned to the French army's 170th Infantry Regiment whose nicknames were the "Swallows of Death". He was wounded twice at Verdun and then sent to a Parisian hospital where he spent the next six months recuperating. His valor was recognized with a chest full of French military decorations including a Croix de Guerre.

While convalescing in Paris, his friend and fellow Southerner Jeff Davis Dickson bet Bullard $2,000 that he could not get into the French Air Force. Bullard asserted that he could, accepted the bet and on October 5, 1916 arrived at the French aerial gunnery school at Cazaux on the Atlantic. It was at Cazaux that he met Edmond Genet. He told Bullard about the Lafayette Escadrille which inspired him to realize that he wanted to be a pilot and not a back-seat gunner. In mid-November with Genet's help he transferred to the flight school at Tours for pilot training. The training took a few more months, but it was inevitable given Bullard's persistence that it would pay off. Bullard earned his pilot's license and the Dickson faithfully paid the $2,000. It was a considerable sum at that time, especially for a gentleman's bet. Dickson admitted that hated to lose the money, but was delighted that at least Bullard was from Dixie. But the result of the bet was to launch Eugene Bullard into history as the first ever African-American aviator.

He wanted to join the Lafayette Escadrille as one of its pilots, but was kept out of it because of the prejudice of Doctor Edmund L. Gros, the unit's most important organizer in France. The day he was officially rejected was August 23, 1917.

He reached the front lines on August 27th flying 20 patrols in a Spad VII for French Escadrille Spa.93. He then flew numerous patrols in a Spad with Escadrille Spa.85 from September 13th to November 11, 1917. His Spad had an insignia lettered "All Blood Runs Red" and his nickname became the Black Swallow of Death. By some accounts, Bullard shot down a Pfalz and a Dr.I. Other sources, like Craig Lloyd in his biography "Eugene Bullard: Black Expatriate in Jazz-Age Paris" state that none were ever confirmed. Later, possibly because of Dr. Gros' influence, he was bumped out of the French Air Force and then transferred back to the 170th Infantry Regiment of the French Army.

After the war, Bullard settled down, and in 1923 married a French woman from a wealthy family named Marcelle Straumann. They settled down and had two daughters Jacqueline and Lolita.

Post-war Bullard bought a bar named "Le Grand Duc" on the north side of Paris. In the late 30s, prior to the outbreak of World War II, he was recruited by French intelligence to spy on the Germans who would come by his bar.

When World War II broke out in 1939, Bullard was still living in Paris running his bar. He remained very devoted to France and tried to join the French army but was considered too old. In 1940, he managed to find a way out of German occupied France, biked all the way down to Portugal and returned to the United States via a Red Cross ship. He settled in New York. He was able to extricate his daughters soon, but Marcelle remained in France and eventually they divorced.

In 1954 he, along with two other French veterans, was invited by French President Charles de Gaulle to light the flame of the Unknown Soldier at the Arc of Triumph in Paris.

He died at the age of 66 on October 12, 1961, with his achievements all but forgotten.

While Eugene Bullard is not as famous as the Tuskegee Airmen or Benjamin O. Davis Jr., as an African-American aviator, he was before all of them. The Chicago Tribune heralded him "as probably the most unsung hero in the history of U.S. wartime aviation" and others noted that his single-handed accomplishment was the equivalent of what the Tuskegee Airmen had accomplished in World War II.

Much of the above are excerpts from my book "American Eagles". Please support this website and our efforts to recognize our first combat aviators by buying it.

http://www.usaww1.com/Eugene-Bullard.php4

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
This is pretty much a continuation of The Lafayette Escadrille entry but specifically Eugene Jacques Bullard.

100726-F-1234S-003.jpg

In August of 1917 Eugene Jacques Bullard, an American volunteer in the French army, became the first black military pilot in history and the only black pilot in World War I. Born in Columbus, Ga., on Oct. 9, 1894, Bullard left home at the age of 11 to travel the world, and by 1913 he had settled in France as a prizefighter. When WWI started in 1914, he enlisted in the French Foreign Legion and rose to the rank of corporal. For his bravery as an infantryman in combat, Bullard received the Croix de Guerre and other decorations.

During the Battle of Verdun in 1916, France suffered 460,000 casualties and Bullard was seriously wounded. While recuperating, he accepted an offer to join the French air force as a gunner/observer, but when he reported to gunnery school, he obtained permission to become a pilot. After completing flight training, Bullard joined the 200 other Americans in the Lafayette Flying Corps, and he flew combat missions from Aug. 27 to Nov. 11, 1917. He distinguished himself in aerial combat, as he had on the ground, and was officially credited with shooting down one German aircraft. Unfortunately, Bullard -- an enlisted pilot -- got into a disagreement with a French officer, which led to his removal from the French air force. He returned to his infantry regiment, and he performed non-combatant duties for the remainder of the war.

After the war, Bullard remained in France as an expatriate. When the Germans invaded France in May 1940, the 46-year-old Bullard rejoined the French army. Again seriously wounded by an exploding shell, he escaped the Germans and made his way to the United States. For the rest of World War II, despite his lingering injuries, he worked as a longshoreman in New York and supported the war effort by participating in war bond drives.

Bullard stayed in New York after the war and lived in relative obscurity, but in France he remained a hero. In 1954 he was one of the veterans chosen to light the "Everlasting Flame" at the French Tomb of the Unknown Soldier under the Arc de Triomphe, and in 1959 the French honored him with the Knight of the Legion of Honor.

On Oct. 13, 1961, Eugene Bullard died and was buried with full military honors in his legionnaire's uniform in the cemetery of the Federation of French War Veterans in Flushing, New York. On Sept. 14, 1994, the secretary of the Air Force posthumously appointed him a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=705

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Garrett-A-Morgan-9414691-1-402.jpg

Garrett Augustus Morgan Sr. Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr. was an American inventor whose curiosity and innovation led him to develop several commercial products, the successors of which are still in use today. A practical man of humble beginnings, Morgan devoted his life to creating items that made the lives of common people safer and more convenient.

Among his creations was the three-position traffic signal, a traffic management device that greatly improved safety along America's streets and roadways. Morgan's technology was the basis for the modern-day traffic signal and was a significant contribution to development of what we now know as Intelligent Transportation Systems.

The Inventor's Early Life

Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr. was born in Paris, Kentucky on March 4, 1877. His parents were former slaves. Morgan spent his early childhood attending school and working with his brothers and sisters on the family farm. He left Kentucky while still a teenager, moving north to Cincinnati, Ohio in search of employment.

An industrious youth, Morgan spent most of his adolescence working as a handyman for a wealthy Cincinnati landowner. Similar to many African Americans of his generation, whose circumstances compelled them to begin working at an early age, Morgan's formal education ended after elementary school. Eager to expand his knowledge, however, the precocious teenager hired a tutor and continued his studies in English grammar while living in Cincinnati.

In 1895, Morgan moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked as a sewing machine repair man for a clothing manufacturer. Experimenting with gadgets and materials to discover better ways of performing his trade became Morgan's passion. News of his proficiency for fixing things traveled fast and led to numerous job opportunities with various manufacturing firms throughout the Cleveland area.

Morgan opened his own sewing equipment and repair shop in 1907. It was the first of several businesses he would start. In 1909, he expanded the enterprise to include a tailoring shop which retained 32 employees. The new company made coats, suits and dresses, all sewn with equipment the budding inventor had made himself.

In 1920 Morgan started the Cleveland Call newspaper. As the years progressed, he became a prosperous and widely respected businessman. His prosperity enabled him to purchase a home and an automobile. Morgan's experiences driving through the streets of Cleveland are what led him to invent the nation's first patented three-position traffic signal.

The Three-Position Traffic Signal Stoplight

The first American-made automobiles were introduced to U.S. consumers shortly before the turn of the century. Ford Motor Company was founded in 1903 and with it American consumers began to discover the adventures of the open road.

At that time, it was not uncommon for bicycles, animal-powered carts and motor vehicles to share the same thoroughfares with pedestrians. Accidents frequently occurred between the vehicles. After witnessing a collision between an automobile and a horse-drawn carriage, Morgan was convinced that something should be done to improve traffic safety.

While other inventors are reported to have experimented with and even marketed their own three-position traffic signals, Garrett A. Morgan was the first to apply for and acquire a U.S. patent for such a device. The patent was granted on November 20, 1923. Morgan later had the technology patented in Great Britain and Canada as well.

Prior to Morgan's invention, most of the traffic signals in use featured only two positions: Stop and Go. Manually operated, these two-position traffic signals were an improvement over no signal at all, but because they allowed no interval between the Stop and Go commands, collisions at busy intersections were common during the transition moving from one street to the other.

Another problem with the two-position traffic signals was the susceptibility to human error. Operator fatigue invariably resulted in erratic timing of the Stop and Go command changes, which confused both drivers and pedestrians. At night, when traffic officers were off duty, motorists frequently ignored the signals altogether.

The Morgan traffic signal was a T-shaped pole unit that featured three positions: Stop, Go and an all-directional stop position. The third position halted traffic in all directions before it allowed travel to resume on either of the intersection's perpendicular roads. This feature not only made it safer for motorists to pass through intersections, but also allowed pedestrians to cross more safely.

At night, or at other times when traffic was minimal, the Morgan signal could be positioned in a half-mast posture, alerting approaching motorists to proceed through the intersection with caution. The half-mast position had the same signaling effect as the flashing red and yellow lights of today's traffic signals.

Morgan's traffic management technology was used throughout North America until it was replaced by the red, yellow and green-light traffic signals currently used around the world. The inventor eventually sold the rights to his traffic signal to the General Electric Corporation for $40,000. Shortly before his death, in 1963, Morgan was awarded a citation for the traffic signal by the U.S. Government.

Another Significant Contribution to Public Safety Gas Mask

In 1912, Morgan received a patent on a Safety Hood and Smoke Protector. Two years later, a refined model of this early gas mask won a gold medal at the International Exposition of Sanitation and Safety, and another gold medal from the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

On July 25, 1916, Morgan made national news for using his gas mask to rescue several men trapped during an explosion in an underground tunnel beneath Lake Erie. Following the rescue, Morgan's company was bombarded with requests from fire departments around the country that wished to purchase the new life-saving masks. The Morgan gas mask was later refined for use by U.S. soldiers during World War I.

As word spread across North America and England about Morgan's life-saving inventions, such as the gas mask and the traffic signal, demand for these products grew far beyond his home town. He was frequently invited to conventions and public exhibitions around the country to show how his inventions worked.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/education/gamorgan.htm

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

N e i l ● d e G r a s s e ● T y s o n

neil-degrasse-tyson-2.jpg

American astrophysicist and science communicator

Neil deGrasse Tyson (born October 5, 1958) is an American astrophysicist and science communicator. He is currently the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space, and a research associate in the department of astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History. Since 2006 he has hosted the educational science television show NOVA scienceNOW on PBS, and has been a frequent guest on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher, and Jeopardy!. It was announced on August 5, 2011 that Tyson will be hosting a new sequel to Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage television series.

Early life

Tyson was born as the second of three children in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, but was raised in the Bronx. His mother, Sunchita Feliciano Tyson, was a gerontologist and his father, Cyril deGrasse Tyson, was a sociologist, human resource commissioner for the New York City mayor, John Lindsay, and was the first Director of HARYOU. Tyson attended the Bronx High School of Science (1972–1976, astrophysics emphasis) where he was captain of the wrestling team and was editor-in-chief of the school's Physical Science Journal. Tyson had an abiding interest in astronomy from the age of eleven, following his visit to the Hayden Planetarium at age nine. Tyson recalls that "so strong was that imprint [of the night sky] that I'm certain that I had no choice in the matter, that in fact, the universe chose me." He obsessively studied astronomy in his teens, and eventually even gained some fame in the astronomy community by giving lectures on the subject at the age of fifteen.

Astronomer Carl Sagan, who was a faculty member at Cornell University, tried to recruit Tyson to Cornell for undergraduate studies. During an interview with writer Daniel Simone, Tyson said, "Interestingly, when I applied to Cornell, my application dripped of my passion for the study and research of the Universe. Somehow the admissions office brought my application to the attention of the late Dr. Sagan, and he actually took the initiative and care to contact me. He was very inspirational and a most powerful influence. Dr. Sagan was as great as the universe, an effective mentor." Tyson chose to attend Harvard University, however, where he majored in physics and lived in Currier House. He was a member of the crew team in his freshman year, but returned to wrestling, eventually lettering in his senior year. Tyson earned a bachelor of arts in physics from Harvard in 1980 and began his graduate work at the University of Texas at Austin, where he earned a master of arts in astronomy in 1983. In addition to wrestling and rowing in college, he was also active in dancing in styles including jazz, ballet, Afro-Caribbean, and Latin Ballroom. In 1985, he won a gold medal with the University of Texas dance team at a national tournament in the International Latin Ballroom style. He started to work toward a doctorate at the University of Texas, but transferred to Columbia University in 1988 after his committee was dissolved. At Columbia University, in 1989, he received a master of philosophy in astrophysics and, in 1991, he earned a doctor of philosophy in astrophysics.

Career

Tyson's research has focused on observations in stellar formation and evolution as well as cosmology and galactic astronomy. He has held numerous positions at institutions including University of Maryland, Princeton University, the American Museum of Natural History, and Hayden Planetarium.

Tyson has written a number of popular books on astronomy. In 1995, he began to write the "Universe" column for Natural History magazine. In a column he authored for the magazine in 2002, Tyson coined the term "Manhattanhenge" to describe the two days annually on which the evening sun aligns with the cross streets of the street grid in Manhattan, making the sunset visible along unobstructed side streets.

In 2001, President George W. Bush appointed Tyson to serve on the Commission on the Future of the United States Aerospace Industry and in 2004 to serve on the President's Commission on Implementation of United States Space Exploration Policy, the latter better known as the "Moon, Mars, and Beyond" commission. Soon afterward he was awarded the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, the highest civilian honor bestowed by NASA.

In 2004, he hosted the four-part "Origins" miniseries of PBS's Nova, and, with Donald Goldsmith, co-authored the companion volume for this series, Origins: Fourteen Billion Years Of Cosmic Evolution. He again collaborated with Goldsmith as the narrator on the documentary 400 Years of the Telescope which premiered on PBS in April 2009.

As director of the Hayden Planetarium, Tyson bucked traditional thinking in order to keep Pluto from being referred to as the ninth planet in exhibits at the center. Tyson has explained that he wanted to look at commonalities between objects, grouping the terrestrial planets together, the gas giants together, and Pluto with like objects and to get away from simply counting the planets. He has stated on The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, and BBC Horizon that this decision has resulted in large amounts of hate mail, much of it from children. In 2006, the I.A.U. confirmed this assessment by changing Pluto to the "dwarf planet" classification. Daniel Simone wrote of the interview with Tyson describing his frustration. "For a while, we were not very popular here at the Hayden Planetarium."

Tyson has been vice-president, president, and chairman of the board of the Planetary Society. He is also the host of the PBS program NOVA scienceNOW. He attended and was a speaker at the Beyond Belief: Science, Religion, Reason and Survival symposium on November 2006. In 2007, Tyson, who is known for his vibrant character, cheerful demeanor, and awe of the vastness of the universe itself, was chosen to be a regular on The History Channel's popular series The Universe.

In May 2009, he launched a one-hour radio talk show called StarTalk, which he co-hosted with comedienne Lynne Koplitz. The show was syndicated on Sunday afternoons on KTLK AM in Los Angeles and WHFS in Washington D.C. The show lasted for thirteen weeks, but was resurrected in December 2010 and then, co-hosted with comedians Chuck Nice and Leighann Lord instead of Koplitz. The show is also available via the internet through a live stream or in the form of a podcast.

In April 2011, Tyson was the keynote speaker at the 93rd International Convention of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society of the Two-year School. He and James Randi delivered a lecture entitled Skepticism, which related directly with the convention's theme of The Democratization of Information: Power, Peril, and Promise.

In 2012, Tyson announced that he would appear in a YouTube series based on his popular StarTalk radio show. A premiere date for the show has not been announced, but it will be distributed on the Nerdist YouTube Channel.

SOURCE WITH CITATIONS

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<IFRAME SRC="http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/" WIDTH=760 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/">link</A>

</IFRAME>

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
i3VZ2HdA9EwPP.gif

LAWRENCE GUYOT

Civil Rights Activist Who Bore the Fight’s Scars, Dies at 73

112712-national-lawrence-guyot-dies-at-73.jpg

On June 14, 1963, at age 23, Jim Lawrence Guyot, removed his shirt in Jackson, Miss.,
to show newsmen where police beat him. Credit Bourdier.

November 26, 2012

Lawrence Guyot, who in the early 1960s endured savage beatings as a young civil rights worker in Mississippi fighting laws and practices that kept blacks from registering to vote, died Thursday at his home in Mount Rainier, Md. He was 73.

His daughter, Julie Guyot-Diangone, confirmed his death, which she said came after Mr. Guyot had suffered several heart attacks, lost a kidney and became diabetic.

Mr. Guyot (GHEE-ott) was repeatedly challenged, jailed and beaten as he helped lead fellow members of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and student volunteers from around the nation in organizing Mississippi blacks to vote. In many of the state’s counties, no blacks were registered.

He further pressed the campaign for greater black participation in politics by serving as chairman of the integrated Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, formed to supplant the all-white state Democratic Party. It lost its challenge to the established Mississippi party at the Democratic National Convention in 1964, but its efforts are seen as paving the way for the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

A famous moment in the civil rights movement occurred after Fannie Lou Hamer and two other civil rights workers were arrested for entering an area of a bus station reserved for whites in Winona, Miss., in June 1963. Mr. Guyot went to Winona to bail them out of jail. When he asked questions about their rough treatment, nine police officers beat him with the butts of guns, made him strip naked and threatened to burn his genitals. The abuse went on for four hours until a doctor advised the officers to stop.

Mr. Guyot was taken to a cell and beaten some more. The cell door was left open to the outside, with a knife lying just beyond. The guards’ apparent idea was to entice him to try to escape, but he saw two men lurking outside and stayed in his cell. “I didn’t fall for that one,” he is quoted as saying in “My Soul Is Rested: The Story of the Civil Rights Movement in the Deep South” (1977), by Howell Raines.

Mr. Guyot was released after Medgar Evers, another civil rights activist, was assassinated in Jackson, Miss., on June 12. Mr. Guyot thought that the authorities feared the effects of another assassination of a civil rights worker when national attention was focused on Mississippi.

Later in 1963, Mr. Guyot was imprisoned at the infamous Mississippi penitentiary Parchman Farm. He was beaten, and went on a 17-day hunger strike. He lost 100 pounds. “It was a question of defiance,” he said in an interview with NPR in 2011. “We were not going to let them have complete control over us.”

In a recent interview with The Afro-American Newspapers, Timothy Jenkins, an educator who worked with Mr. Guyot in the 1960s said: “He is significant because he knew there is a price more ultimate than death. It is disgrace.”

Lawrence Thomas Guyot Jr. was born in Pass Christian, Miss., on July 17, 1939. His father was a contractor. Mr. Guyot attended Tougaloo College in Tougaloo, Miss., a historically black college that had some white faculty members and welcomed white students. He graduated with a degree in chemistry and biology in 1963.

While in college, he became involved with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and traveled around the state conducting civil rights workshops and doing other organizing. He and his colleagues concentrated on voter registration, not desegregation. When he took someone to the courthouse to register, he was often followed by two cars of whites.

Mr. Guyot was haunted by a 1964 conversation he had with Michael Schwerner, the civil rights worker who would be murdered that year along with his fellow workers Andrew Goodman and James Chaney. As Mr. Schwerner was preparing to drive to Mississippi from a training session in Ohio, he asked Mr. Guyot if it was safe to go. Mr. Guyot said yes, and always felt responsible for what happened later.

“I told him to go because I thought there was so much publicity that nothing could happen,” Mr. Guyot said in an interview with The Sun Herald of Biloxi, Miss. “I was absolutely wrong.”

In 1968, while in Chicago as a delegate to the Democratic convention, Mr. Guyot went to a doctor after falling ill. The doctor told him that he had heart trouble and was overweight, and that if he went back to the civil rights struggle in Mississippi he had perhaps two months to live. Instead he went to Rutgers School of Law and, after graduating in 1971, moved to Washington, where he did legal work for city agencies and was an informal adviser to Mayor Marion Barry, a fellow native Mississippian.

In addition to his daughter, Mr. Guyot is survived by his wife of 47 years, the former Monica Klein; his son, Lawrence III; and four grandchildren.

Mr. Guyot favored same-sex marriage when it was illegal everywhere in the United States, noting that he had married a white woman when that was illegal in some states. He often gave inspirational speeches on the meaning of the civil rights movement.

“There is nothing like having risked your life with people over something immensely important to you,” he said in 2004. “As Churchill said, there’s nothing more exhilarating than to have been shot at — and missed.”

SOURCE: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/u...ho-bore-the-fights-scars-dies-at-73.html?_r=0

SoulPatch

Star
Registered
RIP. Many young people today are totally oblivious to what black people went through then and it really wasn't even that long ago.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
American Uprising: The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DD-U33yjOT4" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

GhostofMarcus

Star
Registered
American Uprising: The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DD-U33yjOT4" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Here is another video on the subject that I posted on another forum.
It has visionals to go with the person talking.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
brooke-ed.jpg

Edward William Brooke III

<IFRAME SRC="http://baic.house.gov/member-profiles/profile.html?intID=125" WIDTH=790 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://baic.house.gov/member-profiles/profile.html?intID=125">link</A>

</IFRAME>

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Black Fives​

The Black Fives Negro basketball league; named for the
number of players on the court, spanned from 1904 to
1950. This Negro league developed before the National
Basketball League and National Basketball Association
became racially integrated in the 1940s and 1950, respectively.

black-fives-smart-set-575.jpg

The Smart Set Athletic Club of Brooklyn in 1911 (Black Fives Foundation

rens_1939_pro_champs.jpg

Claude Johnson publishes The Black Fives, whose slogan is “Make History Now!”

book_of_postcards.jpg

7174373144_9fc5ef36a8_z.jpg

Black Fives: How three Jamaican-born brothers changed the face of early basketball.

29ec3_dolly-cap.jpg

c743e_ny_girls-cap.jpg

New York Girls, 1910. Compilation Copyright 2013 Black Fives Foundation, All Rights Reserved

spartan_girls.jpg

See, Early Female Black Five - These Lassies Can Play

(The Root) -- It's fair to say that most Americans are familiar with the Negro Baseball League. Tech giant Google even decorated their homepage with an image of late icon Jackie Robinson -- who left his all-black team to integrate Major League baseball -- to celebrate his birthday last month, but what of the Black Fives Negro basketball league, where Robinson also played? On Monday, Brooklyn, N.Y.'s Barclays Center, along with Black Fives Foundation founder and expert Claude Johnson, attempted to bridge that information gap with an installation of historical photos of forgotten teams such as the Smart Set Athletic Club.

"It's so amazing that these images are hung [in the arena] because the Smart Set played right here in Brooklyn," Johnson told The Root earlier this week during a preview event. On the Nets' court, children from Brooklyn's P.S. 282 tried their hands at using Black Fives playing rules -- no dribbling and then shooting the ball allowed.

The Black Fives, named for the number of players on the court, spanned from 1904 to 1950. This Negro league developed before the National Basketball League and National Basketball Association became racially integrated in the 1940s and 1950, respectively. The talented players on teams such as the Harlem Rens -- short for Renaissance -- carved a path for what would become the NBA's modern and integrated game.

In the Barclays Center, six images of black basketball players, both men and women, hang on granite-like canvases on either side of the facility's main entrance in a winding hall. The photos depict the Smart Set Athletic Club of Brooklyn in 1908, 1909, 1911 and 1912, as well as the New York Girls team in 1910, but only one photo shows a single player, William "Dolly" King.

According to Johnson, in the early 1900s most major American cities had a Negro basketball club, and if the club's roster included King, they were probably going to win. King dominated on teams such as the Harlem Rens and the Rochester Royals, though his son, Michael King, says he never saw his father as a dynamic athlete.

"I learned more about my dad from Claude than I did from my father," King told The Root. "He was very unassuming. He didn't talk about this. However, my dad went to Long Island University [where he played on the basketball team], and when he died in 1969, L.I.U. gave me a full scholarship, even though I had no grades to get in."

But even in college, racism smeared the basketball court for the elder King.

"My dad's L.I.U. team went down to Virginia to play a school called Washington and Lee," King said. "But the Lee players wouldn't take the court if my father played, so he told his team and coach to go ahead and play the game and beat the guys without him."

King later played for a number of Black Fives teams, but the barriers of racial segregation robbed him of the chance to shine in an integrated league in 1950. By the time the NBA and NBL began recruiting players of color, King was past his prime, and unlike in baseball, the new league didn't promote its diverse history. So like many others, King's work on the court became mostly buried until Johnson began to passionately research the Black Fives in 2001.

"I was researching the Black Fives on the side and was eventually laid off with a severance package. Right after 9/11, I was able to do the Black Fives Foundation as if it was my job," Johnson said. "I created family trees in Ancestry.com to list the players' other jobs, like postal worker or a porter. However, on Ancestry, once you make a family tree public, anyone can see it. I started getting messages from people asking me why I was interested in their grandfather, and I'd say I was doing Black Fives research. Many times, they didn't even know about their family member's involvement."

On Sunday, the Black Fives photo installment will be formally introduced, when the Nets host the San Antonio Spurs at the Barclays Center. Johnson hopes these images will illuminate this buried bit of history and inspire others to be as excited as he is about the lost league's legacy.

"I wasn't hoping somebody would discover [my work], but it validates the research. It's also a way to keep this legacy going," Johnson said. "This presentation is the end of a journey but the beginning of being able to motivate, inspire and teach kids."

Hillary Crosley is the New York bureau chief at The Root. Follow her on Twitter

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
734564_511610338881367_533082631_n.jpg

Four women at a convention of former slaves, Washington D.C., circa 1916
The women pictured are Annie Parram, 104, Anna Angales, 105, Elizabeth Berkeley, 125 and Sadie Thompson, 110. According to a Washington Post article, the 1916 convention was the fifty-fourth gathering of former slaves and ran from October 22nd to November 6th. President Wilson is listed among the invited speakers.​

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
734564_511610338881367_533082631_n.jpg

Four women at a convention of former slaves, Washington D.C., circa 1916
The women pictured are Annie Parram, 104, Anna Angales, 105, Elizabeth Berkeley, 125 and Sadie Thompson, 110. According to a Washington Post article, the 1916 convention was the fifty-fourth gathering of former slaves and ran from October 22nd to November 6th. President Wilson is listed among the invited speakers.​
Wait what 125 yrs old:eek:, that has to be a typo. If not she has to be the oldest that ever lived right?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait what 125 yrs old:eek:, that has to be a typo. If not she has to be the oldest that ever lived right?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Many Black folk at that time had no idea when they were born. Black folk that were slaves weren't issued birth certificates and all were born by midwives. However there were many documented cases of Black folk of that era to have lived extremely long lives.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

A l i c e ◆ C o a c h m a n

alice-coachman.jpg

Alice%20Coachman-400.jpg

In 1948 high-flying Coachman, a Tuskegee Institute all-American, became the first black woman to win an Olympic gold medal and the first American woman to capture gold in track and field when she won the high-jump competition in the London Olympics. Her winning jump -- 5 feet 6¼ inches -- also set an Olympic record and made her the only American woman to bring home gold that year.

m-1964.jpg

Few athletes have dominated a sport as thoroughly as Alice Coachman dominated the high jump. Named to five All-American teams, she won a gold medal in the 1948 Olympics, becoming the first African American woman to do so. She has been inducted into eight halls of fame.

Born in Albany, the fifth of Fred and Evelyn Coachman's ten children, Coachman grew up in the segregated South. Barred from public sports facilities because of her race, Coachman used whatever materials she could piece together to practice jumping. Coping with a society that discouraged women from being involved in sports, Coachman struggled to develop as an athlete.

Coachman received encouragement from her fifth-grade teacher, Cora Bailey, at Monroe Street Elementary School and from her aunt, Carrie Spry, who defended her niece's interest in sports in the face of parental reservations. In 1938, when Coachman enrolled in Madison High School, she immediately joined the track team. The Madison boys' track coach, Harry E. Lash, recognized and nurtured her talent. She quickly attracted the attention of the Tuskegee Institute, in Tuskegee, Alabama, where she enrolled in the high school program in 1939. Even before classes started, she competed in and won her first Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) national championship in the high jump.

During the early 1940s Coachman collected a host of national titles. As a senior at Tuskegee Institute High School, she won the AAU nationals in the high jump and the 50-meter dash. During her college career at Tuskegee, she won national championships in the 50-meter dash, the 100-meter dash, the 400-meter relay, and the high jump. She also played on the Tuskegee women's basketball team, which won three championships. She was the only African American on each of the five All-American teams to which she was named. Although she was clearly an athlete of Olympic caliber, World War II (1941-45) forced the cancellation of the games that would have been held during her college career.

Coachman was also successful in the classroom, graduating from Tuskegee in 1946 with a degree in dressmaking. She also received a B.A. in home economics from Albany State College (later Albany State University) in 1949.

When Coachman finally got the chance to compete in the Olympics, in the 1948 London games, she qualified easily despite a back injury. She defeated her closest competitor, the British high jumper Dorothy Tyler, on the first jump of the finals, setting a record of 5 feet 6 1/8 inches. King George VI personally presented the gold medal to her.

Coachman returned to the United States a hero. After her Olympic victory she retired from athletics, even though she was only twenty-five and in excellent physical condition. She became the first African American woman to benefit from endorsements. She also taught, coached, and became involved in the Job Corps. Always a supporter of athletes, she later formed the Alice Coachman Track and Field Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides assistance to young athletes and helps former Olympic athletes adjust to life after the games. During the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta she was honored as one of the 100 greatest Olympic athletes in history.

SOURCES: The Root; History.Comhttp://www.history.com/photos/black-women-athletes/photo4; and New Georgia Encyclopedia

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Stagecoach
Mary

Mary%20Fields-400.jpg

Mary Fields

Mary Fields, aka Stagecoach Mary, put the wild in the Wild West. During the late 1800s, she was reportedly one of the toughest characters in the Northern Rockies of Montana. A crack shot, the 6-foot-2-inch, 200-pound Fields wore a .38 Smith & Wesson strapped under her apron. She drove the U.S. mail route between St. Peter's Mission and the town of Cascade, Mont., for eight years -- by stagecoach -- dressed in a man's hat and coat.

* * *​

Although she may have been one of the toughest women ever to work in a convent, 'Black Mary' had earned the respect and devotion of most of the residents of the pioneer community of Cascade, Montana, before she died in 1914. In fact, Mary Fields was widely beloved. She was admired and respected throughout the region for holding her own and living her own way in a world where the odds were stacked against her. In a time when African Americans and women of any race enjoyed little freedom anywhere in the world, Mary Fields enjoyed more freedom than most white men.

Fields dressed in the comfortable clothes of a man, including a wool cap and boots, and she wore a revolver strapped around her waist under her apron. At 200 pounds, she was said to be a match for any two men in Montana Territory. She had a standing bet that she could knock a man out with one punch, and she never lost a dime to anyone foolish enough to take her up on that bet. By order of the mayor, she was the only woman of reputable character in Cascade allowed to drink in the local bar, and while she enjoyed the privilege, she never drank to excess. She was often spotted smoking cigars in public, and she liked to argue politics with anyone.

Mary Fields started life as a slave in Hickman County, Tenn., in 1832. When she gained her freedom after the Civil War, she moved to Mississippi, where she worked on the steamboat Robert E. Lee as a chambermaid. She was on board during that boat's race against Steamboat Bill's Natchez in 1870, and she liked to relate her experience during that race when the crewmen tossed anything they could get their hands on–even barrels of resin and sides of ham and bacon–into the boiler while men sat on the relief valves to boost the steam pressure. 'It was so hot up in the cabins that the passengers were forced to take to the decks,' she said, according to an article in the local Cascade Courier in 1914. 'It was expected that the boilers would burst.'

Fields was the maid and childhood friend of an Ursuline sister named Mother Amadeus. When the sister served at the Ursuline convent in Toledo, Ohio, Fields joined her there. Later, Mother Amadeus was called to take a position at the new St. Peter's Convent near what was to become Cascade, Mont., a small town that grew up on the new Montana Central railroad route between Helena and Great Falls. Mother Amadeus became ill with pneumonia in 1885 and called for Fields. Her longtime friend did not take long leaving Toledo for the West. As soon as Fields arrived at St. Peter's Convent, she set about nursing Mother Amadeus back to health.

When Mother Amadeus was well, Fields stayed on to work at the convent. She handled the stage that brought visitors from the train station, where she would often spend the night waiting for her passengers. She also hauled critical supplies for the convent. She alone handled the wagon team that hauled the goods, no matter what the weather or road conditions. One winter night, a pack of wolves spooked her horses and the wagon overturned. Fields stood guard and protected the food shipment from the wolves through the night, knowing how much the nuns depended on the supplies to survive.

Although the sisters tried their best to smooth Fields' rough edges by inviting her to participate in services and practice her Catholic faith, Fields preferred the rougher company of the men who worked around the convent. She drank and swore with the best of them, fought them with her formidable fists, smoked cigars, swapped stories and became a crack shot with revolver and rifle. She also worked as hard as she played. At the convent she washed clothes and sacristy linen, cared for as many as 400 chickens, and tended large gardens for the sisters.

Father Landesmith, the chaplain at nearby Fort Keough, visited St. Peter's in 1887. He was charmed by Fields when she insisted on retelling her account of her battle with a skunk that had invaded the coop and killed more than 60 baby chicks. She dragged the dead skunk more than a mile to display her trophy to the sisters and visiting chaplain. When the sisters asked her how she avoided getting sprayed by the skunk, she explained that she was careful to make a frontal assault.

A near disaster occurred when the sisters decided to return Fields' favors and do her chores while she was away. They did the laundry themselves without any problems, but then they decided to burn a small pile of Fields' trash. The fire ignited some loose cartridges, and one nun, Sister Gertrude, was wounded above one eye. They were happy when Fields returned.

When the sisters moved from their log cabins to a new stone building, Fields personally moved the possessions of Mother Superior Amadeus, hauling them in a wheelbarrow. Fields continued to do her chores at the convent for 10 years, and probably would have stayed there for the rest of her life had she been allowed. But she was not. Her wild ways outside the convent finally caught up with her. After Bishop Brondell, the first Catholic bishop in Montana, received complaints about her, he told the convent that Mary Fields must leave.

One account tells of a gun duel that she had, although no details are available. Then there were the fistfights, most of which she won. During one trip to a ranch, Fields got into a heated debate over a harness. She used a small rock to emphasize her point, and ended up making a dent in the head of the ranch foreman.

Fields traveled to the state capital, Helena, to plead her case. She demanded that she be allowed to confront her accusers, but Bishop Brondell told her that nothing would change his mind. She would have to leave St. Peter's. Unable to resist the will of her bishop, Mother Amadeus did the next best thing. She moved Fields into nearby Cascade and secured the mail route for her between Cascade and the convent. Mother Amadeus even bought her friend a wagon and a team of horses for the new route. Mary Fields became only the second woman in the country to manage a mail route. She took to her new job, sticking with it for the next eight years.

On one mail run to the convent, she was badly injured when her horse team got out of control. When she finally arrived at the convent, she was repentant for having let the horses get away from her. The sisters used the opportunity to once again encourage her to attend Mass. Some of the sisters must have been surprised when Fields agreed to come the following day. One of them stayed up most of the night to fashion a special blue challis dress and long white veil that she could wear for the special occasion.

In 1903, her longtime friend and mentor Mother Amadeus was sent to Alaska to establish another mission. Fields, now 70, was devastated. Mother Angelina, who succeeded Mother Amadeus at St. Peter's, was kind to Fields, but it was small comfort after such a sorrowful separation.

Mary Fields finally gave up her mail route and settled into town life. The people of Cascade thought so much of her that on her birthday they would close the local school in her honor. She would then buy candy and treats for the children. Not that Fields had mellowed all that much with age. She made her living by taking in laundry at her home, while continuing to frequent local drinking establishments. One day, while drinking in a local bar, she spotted a man walking by on the street. She stepped outside for a better look. Indeed, it was a man who owed her $2 for an unpaid laundry bill. She followed him down the street and grabbed the collar of the shirt she had not been paid for cleaning. Then she punched him. She returned to the bar and declared, 'His laundry bill is paid.' Fields also ran an eating house that did poorly because she would extend credit to anyone who expressed a need. Sheepherders would ask her to wait for payment for meals in the winter until they were working again the following summer. She went broke twice trying to make a go of the restaurant business.

Still, she had her friends. She was always welcome in the local hotel. In 1910, when R.B. Glover leased the New Cascade Hotel from Kirk Huntley, a stipulation to the transaction was that all meals for Mary Fields would be offered free of charge for the rest of her life. When her laundry business and her home burned down in 1912, the townspeople gathered and built her a new home.

Mary Fields adopted the Cascade baseball team as her own. For each game she prepared buttonhole bouquets of flowers for each player from her own garden, with larger bouquets reserved for home-run hitters. Any man speaking ill of the local team in her presence could expect a bouquet of knuckles in his face.

Fields baby-sat most of the children in the area for $1.50 an hour and then spent most of the money she earned buying treats for the children. It was during this time that a small boy visiting from nearby Dearborn, Mont., noticed her. The young boy, a Montana native named Gary Cooper, would later remember her fondly in a story he wrote about her in 1959 for Ebony magazine, toward the end of his acting career and his life. Cooper died in 1961.

Charlie Russell, the cowboy artist, lived in Cascade for a brief time, and he featured Mary Fields in an 1897 pen-and-ink drawing he composed called A Quiet Day in Cascade, which shows her being knocked down by a hog and spilling a basket of chicken eggs.

Sensing that she was close to death in 1914, and not wanting to become a burden on her friends, Fields tried to steal away quietly with some blankets to die in the tall weeds near her small, two-room house. Lester Munroe and his three brothers were playing nearby, and they found Fields, who had baby-sat all of them, lying there in the weeds. She was taken to the Columbus Hospital in Great Falls.

When she died a few days later, there was no shortage of pallbearers for the tough but kind black woman who had befriended generations of local children. She was buried in a small cemetery alongside the road between Cascade and St. Peter's Mission that she had traveled so many times during her life.

This article was written by George Everett and originally published in Wild West Magazine in February 1996.

Mary Fields died of liver failure in 1914. In 1959, actor and Montana native Gary Cooper wrote an article for Ebony in which he said, "Born a slave somewhere in Tennessee, Mary lived to become one of the freest souls ever to draw a breath, or a .38.

SOURCES: The Root, Historynet.Com, Black Cowboys.com, and Wikipedia

OTHER LINKS:

MV5BMTkwODQ0NDI4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjkzNDcyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

In the 1996 TV movie The Cherokee Kid, Mary Fields was played by Dawnn Lewis
220px-Dawnn_Lewis.jpg

Dawnn Lewis

In the 2012 TV movie Hannah's Law Stagecoach Mary was played by Kimberly Elise

kimberly-elise.jpg

Kimberly Elise