U.S. Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe vs. Wade

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Lol I see y'all still going back and forth @Tito_Jackson one of the dumbest, most self-impresed and completely delusional posters ever to type on this bitch

... and @silverhawk who is essentially a chat-bot loosed from Yahoo forums that has nothing interesting or substantive to say beyond conservative buzzwords. :lol:
Delusional because I use facts to dispel talking points and rhetoric? You and the robots are good at repeating what mainstream media tells you. But, as soon as you are faced with contradictory facts you either get quiet or begin the S.I.G.N. language in an attempt redirect the conversation. Dudes like you are allergic to facts, data, and statistics.

I'm not concerned with everyone being enlightened. I can't save everyone. But, I'm confident that some will see through the BS and soak up some of the knowledge.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Delusional because I use facts to dispel talking points and rhetoric? You and the robots are good at repeating what mainstream media tells you. But, as soon as you are faced with contradictory facts you either get quiet or begin the S.I.G.N. language in an attempt redirect the conversation. Dudes like you are allergic to facts, data, and statistics.

I'm not concerned with everyone being enlightened. I can't save everyone. But, I'm confident that some will see through the BS and soak up some of the knowledge.

Allergic to facts, data and statistics you say? LOL. I explained very clearly why your myopic understanding of this situation is completely delusional pages and pages ago. Unfortunately you're a magical religious thinker (despite your protests to the contrary) and you're deeply dishonest to boot so no amount of reality will ever make it into that thick skull of yours. Worst of all, your takes are incredibly boring. I don't know where you and your idiot cosigners find the time or energy to type all these tapioca takes. Shit is exhausting lol.

Shartbait, whattup!?

What's goin on my CAC?

silverhawk

Rising Star
Registered
Allergic to facts, data and statistics you say? LOL. I explained very clearly why your myopic understanding of this situation is completely delusional pages and pages ago. Unfortunately you're a magical religious thinker (despite your protests to the contrary) and you're deeply dishonest to boot so no amount of reality will ever make it into that thick skull of yours. Worst of all, your takes are incredibly boring. I don't know where you and your idiot cosigners find the time or energy to type all these tapioca takes. Shit is exhausting lol.

What's goin on my CAC?
Shartbait, are you from Australia or have you ever lived there?

silverhawk

Rising Star
Registered
Nah but I lived inside your mama's pussy for a lil while lol

Also, get your weight up before you address me like that. G'on ahead and post in the Steelwill thread CAC. :yes:
Bruh...YOU of all people should not address me as CAC. Especially you. I'll take it as a one off as you probably think/thought I didn't know about you, shartbait28.

sharkbait28

International Member
Bruh...YOU of all people should not address me as CAC. Especially you. I'll take it as a one off as you probably think/thought I didn't know about you, shartbait28.

You don't know shit and have never in your life known shit my guy. Your whole entire persona is built on you being a know-nothing, lemming-ass-CAC

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

What's goin on my CAC?
And again, you prove my point. You can search my 10+ year history on this forum and you will not find one post suggesting that my views are based upon religious beliefs. You default to "religion" because that what you are spoon fed. My stance is rooted in facts, data, and statistics. And when I share, I share indisputable information. So, yeah facts can be boring. And I can understand why those such as yourself get exhausted by higher level intellectual conversations.

sharkbait28

International Member
And again, you prove my point. You can search my 10+ year history on this forum and you will not find one post suggesting that my views are based upon religious beliefs. You default to "religion" because that what you are spoon fed. My stance is rooted in facts, data, and statistics. And when I share, I share indisputable information. So, yeah facts can be boring. And I can understand why those such as yourself get exhausted by higher level intellectual conversations.

You're more than welcome to try rebutting the last post I made in response to you before you ducked me champ. If you're not religious you might as well be honestly, your ideology has nothing to do with science or concern for other human beings. It's just a mish-mash of punitive, mean-spirited, finger-wagging bullshit that has nothing to do with reality. Look at you typing all these paragraphs on behalf of hypothetical children in a morally vacuous country like America which has an abysmal black maternal health rate, the highest child poverty rate in any OECD nation and contempt for orphans that borders on pathological. Just admit you don't give a single, solitary fuck about the issues involved man. You often convince yourself you have the intellectual high ground somehow even when you're exposed/sonned time and time again for the shallowness of your comprehension the issues involved. I see you playboy. Please GTFOH. :smh:

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
You're more than welcome to try rebutting the last post I made in response to you before you ducked me champ. If you're not religious you might as well be honestly, your ideology has nothing to do with science or concern for other human beings. It's just a mish-mash of punitive, mean-spirited, finger-wagging bullshit that has nothing to do with reality. Look at you typing all these paragraphs on behalf of hypothetical children in a morally vacuous country like America which has an abysmal black maternal health rate, the highest child poverty rate in any OECD nation and contempt for orphans that borders on pathological. Just admit you don't give a single, solitary fuck about the issues involved man. You often convince yourself you have the intellectual high ground somehow even when you're exposed/sonned time and time again for the shallowness of your comprehension the issues involved. I see you playboy. Please GTFOH. :smh:
Ducked you?? What did you say that I haven't responded to? Again stop with the lies. If I missed any questions, which I do not believe I have, it definitely was not intentional.

However, let's address your most recent post. My stance regarding abortion has nothing to do with religion. I've been consistent on this. My stance is rooted in science as well as the social and political trajectory of black existence in the US. I have shared data and facts regarding the developmental stages of humans, as well as statistics regarding the demographics of abortions and which populations are targeted. I've been on record as stating that there needs to be more support for children as well as better programs for parents. I'm an advocate for black families staying together and not having children out of wedlock. Not because of religious beliefs, but because statistically, the children have more positive outcomes. I'm on the record as saying I believe that if people live in a state that allows abortions, they have the right to engage in that act if they so choose. Conversely, I also believe that if you live in a state that does not permit elective abortions, you should not engage in that act. However, if you choose to, be prepared to suffer the consequences, as you should. I believe that pro-choice should really promote the choices. Some sources estimate that there are about 2 million couples currently waiting to adopt in the United States — which means there are as many as 36 waiting families for every one child who is placed for adoption. I also believe women should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. However, that right should not infringe on the life or rights of the unique body within her body.

I'm consistent regarding my advocacy for black people, my people. I strongly believe that financial literacy and education is the fastest and most feasible path to a better life for my people. This is why I have made entire threads teaching and educating my people about this.

You, however, enjoy the luxury of complaining from the bleachers. Never providing solutions. Never getting involved. Just complaining about anything that is in contrast to what your CAC massa has taught you.

So, continue with your lies and insults. All it does is further support the fact that you have nothing of substance to say and that my facts, data, and statistics are so irrefutable that you are forced to resort to personal attacks to redirect the conversation.

When you are ready to have an adult discussion regarding the issues, let me know. I'm never hiding or ducking anyone.

sharkbait28

International Member
Ducked you?? What did you say that I haven't responded to? Again stop with the lies. If I missed any questions, which I do not believe I have, it definitely was not intentional.

However, let's address your most recent post. My stance regarding abortion has nothing to do with religion. I've been consistent on this. My stance is rooted in science as well as the social and political trajectory of black existence in the US. I have shared data and facts regarding the developmental stages of humans, as well as statistics regarding the demographics of abortions and which populations are targeted. I've been on record as stating that there needs to be more support for children as well as better programs for parents. I'm an advocate for black families staying together and not having children out of wedlock. Not because of religious beliefs, but because statistically, the children have more positive outcomes. I'm on the record as saying I believe that if people live in a state that allows abortions, they have the right to engage in that act if they so choose. Conversely, I also believe that if you live in a state that does not permit elective abortions, you should not engage in that act. However, if you choose to, be prepared to suffer the consequences, as you should. I believe that pro-choice should really promote the choices. Some sources estimate that there are about 2 million couples currently waiting to adopt in the United States — which means there are as many as 36 waiting families for every one child who is placed for adoption. I also believe women should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. However, that right should not infringe on the life or rights of the unique body within her body.

I'm consistent regarding my advocacy for black people, my people. I strongly believe that financial literacy and education is the fastest and most feasible path to a better life for my people. This is why I have made entire threads teaching and educating my people about this.

You, however, enjoy the luxury of complaining from the bleachers. Never providing solutions. Never getting involved. Just complaining about anything that is in contrast to what your CAC massa has taught you.

So, continue with your lies and insults. All it does is further support the fact that you have nothing of substance to say and that my facts, data, and statistics are so irrefutable that you are forced to resort to personal attacks to redirect the conversation.

When you are ready to have an adult discussion regarding the issues, let me know. I'm never hiding or ducking anyone.

Damn, you always manage to pull me back in with your bullshit even though I know better :lol:

@Tito_Jackson you have to understand, all your fake appeals to being scientifically minded aside, I'm here to mentor and teach you. I'm here to bring you humility and a realistic understanding of the world as it actually is (as opposed to this weird fantasy bullshit you've concocted in your head). Please have a seat and learn a thing or two my guy :yes:

I'm willing to educate you but I genuinely need substantive answers to the posts you ducked below. Remember, taking up a position as a champion of hypothetical human beings is very easy. I understand the appeal. It requires NOTHING of you. It requires no meditation on the state of society as it is. No grappling with the nature of consciousness. It requires no meaningful sacrifice or commitment to the kind of "responsibility" you bleat about constantly (without seriousness). I'm not finna repeat myself constantly so let's go ahead and unpack these issues you've avoided one by one:

You're honestly dumb as dogshit. You pantomime concern for the poor but don't understand at all what this rollback of rights entails for the less economically mobile women who are now going to have contend with the following realities:

i) they will proceed with abortions as they would have pre Roe (which is well documented in terms of maternal death rates and barbaric non medically supervised abortion efforts). Which has nary an effect on the ability of the economically mobile to seek treatment as necessary accross State lines as you so blithely suggest is their "right". Ignoring of course that these sick fucks are drafting legislation which criminalizes or financially disincentivizes efforts to do so...once again impacting the already economically marginal the most.
ii) and will have to scramble as national abortion is on the table once these sick Dominionist fucks that think like you are back in control of all three branches, which is almost guaranteed given how weak and ineffectual Dems are.
iii) Also: the same rationale used to gut this law can easily be applied to Brown v Board of Education, Griswold v Connecticut and any other rights to privacy that flow from the 14th amendment. Every single dumb nigga (like you) cheerleading this incredibly stupid bullshit will have a
conniption fit when the exact same rationale used to strike down Roe is used to limit your freedom even slightly. I'd bet every single dollar I have on that lol. You are completely full of shit and out of your depth on this stuff.

Lets face it the economically mobile and the rich-conservative-hypocrites who wring their hands about the unborn while supporting legislation that creates a hellscape for actual children in America have nothing to worry about under the current status quo. Meanwhile you have nothing to offer but platitudes. "Be more responsible!". Nigga you have no idea what you're talking about. STFU and sit your ass down :smh:

Blah blah blah... Lmao @ your failed psychologist babble. You should spend more time reflecting on your own incredibly limited moral imagination and less on these laughably shallow takes you insist on typing here. You’re one of the most delusional coons to ever post here my dude and it’s only the idiots, coons and these conservative-culture-warrior niggas that would argue otherwise.

I made the mistake of engaging your shallow pedantic ass against my own better judgement, especially since I don't have much time to keep correcting your constant and never ending bullshit up in here all day. You talk and type a lot about responsibility as though that's where the problems associated with the Roe/Dobbs decision begins and ends. Of course, this is complete nonsense. Like most conservative arguments you confuse platitudes with meaningful critique. Who tf is against responsibility as an adult? Of course everyone should be responsible! This says nothing about the implications of rolling back hard won Civil Rights that allow women to make their own decisions in terms of their body and medical health (and yes this is part of the Civil Rights struggle whether you choose to engage with historical reality or not). This says nothing about the economic and administrative hurdles now faced almost exclusively by the already marginal that none of your weak assurances of 'being able to cross State lines since it's not illegal everywhere' will assuage. In fact, as I explained earlier the very idea that you trot out the notion that 'it's not illegal everywhere' speaks again to how disingenuous you are about this stuff. You neither understand the scope of the issues involved nor the logical end-game to this strategic effort Conservatives have been executing over literal decades.

Finally, although it's clear that you're never capable of feeling shame even when I expose how little you understand the topics you choose to run your mouth about, I would honestly LOVE for you to explain why and how the rationale used to overturn Roe couldn't possibly be used to overturn Griswold, Obergefell or Brown. If nothing else, at the very least the gaggle of head-nodding idiots you gather around yourself from time to time (along with the lurkers) might benefit from seeing you being sonned consistently. :yes:

Let's see some meaningful engagement with the points raised above. Hold your nose for the parts that offend your pious sensibilities and rebut the arguments made.

I'll be glad to stand by and break your bullshit all the way down to their constituent elements whenever and wherever :cool:

Last edited:

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
This is a decent article. I wish the author would have been more neutral in the writing. But, it is what it is. It is 100% true that we in the scientific community can not agree on when life begins. But, this disagreement is purely by choice and pressure from pro-abortionists as well as anti-abortionists. If it is determined when life begins then both sides have a problem. The pro-abortionists would have to concede that the fetus that they carelessly call a "blob of cells" is actually alive. The anti-abortionists would have to concede that there is a period before the baby is considered alive.

Universally and as correctly stated in the article, we consider a person dead when all brain activity has ceased and this includes all of the brain stem. Why can't we simply use the inverse as a measure regarding when someone is alive? This is usually around the end of week 5 and into week 6 (usually around forty to forty-three days).

Again, neither side really wants to do that because no one wants to give up ground or compromise.

Last edited:

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

Wrong, why can't it simply be that some people value life differently? The same way I value the life of someone who was unjustly murdered while in police custody is the same way I value life in the womb, particularly once the brain activity of the baby is detectable.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor

The Supreme Court really screwed a lot of Republicans right now… This shit is blowing up in their faces. When you have 80 or 70% of the country wanted to keep abortion around they should have never touched it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Millions are getting birth control advice from TikTok. Experts warn the consequences of getting it wrong have never been more dangerous in post-Roe America
Chloe Taylor
Sat, September 3, 2022 at 5:00 AM·10 min read

Millions are turning to TikTok for advice on preventing pregnancy without hormonal interventions like the pill—but the social platform is rife with misinformation and experts are warning that it's an especially dangerous moment for American women to take birth control advice from unvetted sources.
Interest in content that discusses fertility awareness methods (FAMs) of birth control—techniques that avoid unplanned pregnancies by abstaining from sex or using other forms of contraception around the time of ovulation—has soared on TikTok, with search terms associated with FAMs scoring millions of clicks on the site.
The boom in interest worries many reproductive care experts, however, who say that after the Supreme Court’s recent overturning of Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that made abortion access a constitutional right, women who turn to social media are putting their health at even more risk than in earlier times.
With individual states now able to further restrict abortion access, the concern is that women who don’t receive correct information on FAMs could end up inadvertently falling pregnant and being forced to carry to term.
“Speak to someone who is well versed in reproductive health, and that is obviously not an influencer on TikTok,” said Kimberly McFerron, head of birth work at pregnancy and women’s telehealth clinic Ruth Health. "With how threatened reproductive rights are here in the U.S., [getting FAMs wrong] becomes an astronomical issue very, very quickly.”
Using FAMs
Unlike hormonal birth control—which has been linked to side effects like acne, headaches and weight gain—FAMs have no physical side effects.
There are three main ways women who opt to use FAMs can track their ovulation, according to Planned Parenthood: recording their body temperature every morning before getting out of bed, monitoring their cervical mucus, and tracking their menstrual cycle.
Generally, medical practitioners advise that two or more of these methods should be used in conjunction with one another to increase efficacy. When multiple FAMs are combined, it is called the symptothermal method.
According to the British National Health Service (NHS), if natural family planning is followed “consistently and correctly,” it can be up to 99% effective.
However, Planned Parenthood says that typically, FAMs are only around 76% to 88% effective, meaning 12 to 24 couples out of every 100 using an FAM will get pregnant each year.
“The better you are about using FAMs the right way—tracking your fertility signs daily and avoiding sex or using birth control on ‘unsafe’ days—the more effective they’ll be,” the organization advises. “But there’s a chance that you’ll still get pregnant, even if you always use them perfectly.”
Hormonal contraceptives, like the pill and injections, are up to 99% effective with perfect use, while condoms are 98% effective at preventing pregnancy.
‘I’ve never been on birth control’
Videos related to the search term “rhythm method” have been viewed almost 1 billion times on TikTok, while content related to the topic “fam birth control method” has racked up 3.1 million views on the short-form video platform.
“I am 24 years old, and I have never been on birth control, and I’ve only ever gotten pregnant when we were trying to get pregnant,” one woman asserts in a TikTok video that has been liked more than 20,000 times.
“There’s actually a very small window every single month where you can get pregnant, and that’s when you’re ovulating, it’s called your fertile window.”
She goes on to tell viewers that hormone-free family planning is “a lot easier than you might think.”
“All you have to do is track your cycle, find out when you’re ovulating and be a lot more careful when you’re fertile,” she says. “You can take your body basal temperature, take ovulation tests and also just look at your cervical mucus. It is possible to not be on traditional birth control and not get pregnant.”
The woman who created the video did not respond to Fortune’s request for an interview.
Going hormone free isn’t straightforward. Various factors can make FAMs more or less effective—for example, sperm can live for several days in the right environment, and ovulation can happen on a different day in each cycle. Irregular menstrual cycles complicate the process, and healthcare providers generally advise taking several months to get to know your body before using a FAM.
‘A lot of misinformation’
Medical experts have warned that women may not be getting enough—or correct— information via TikTok.
Representatives for TikTok did not respond to Fortune’s request for comment.
Dr. Hiba Sher Khan, a clinician at British women’s health clinic Naytal, told Fortune that FAMs were “tricky” and not the form of contraception she would initially recommend to patients whose main priority was avoiding pregnancy.
“The FAM is generally only 76% effective, making it one of the least reliable forms of contraception,” she explained. “But with some careful planning, and if followed to a T, it can be 91% to 99% effective. So, my advice really depends on your personal preferences and beliefs.”
She added that she had noticed increased interest in FAMs, but said it was important for each individual to talk to a doctor to make sure they understood whether going hormone-free was or was not a suitable method of birth control for them.
“I think hormonal contraception unfortunately gets a bad rep and FAM is probably not well understood, since there is a lot of misinformation about both,” Khan said.
“Social media was never intended to be a platform for medical advice, so take what you see there with a pinch of salt. Everyone has different experiences and stories to tell, so only use social media as a springboard to find out more and seek personalized medical advice.”
‘Half-informed decisions’
Meanwhile, Kimberly McFerron of the pregnancy and women’s telehealth clinic Ruth Health warned that there was a steep learning curve when it came to getting FAMs right.
“It is not a thing you can just start doing next month if you want to do it successfully,” she told Fortune.
McFerron dubbed the rhythm method—a FAM that tracks the menstrual cycle to calculate when ovulation will occur—“outdated,” as it assumes all cycles last for 28 days and ovulation always occurs on day 14, neither of which are true.
Videos related to the term “rhythm method” on TikTok have had more than 905 million views.
“We also know that sperm life is very dependent on the environment it’s in, now we’re seeing that some sperm can live for up to 10 days, and so when we don’t provide all of that information to people and say ‘just practice the rhythm method, don’t have unprotected sex while you’re ovulating, it’s a small window,’ it’s misinformative and prevents a lot of opportunity for people to truly be able to make informed decisions over their bodies,” McFerron added.
“It then becomes a larger issue of perpetuating the idea that women only get partial information when it comes to reproductive education and reproductive rights, and it leaves us with this kind of situation we’ve been in for quite some time where we have to make these half-informed decisions.”
‘More dangerous than ever to get wrong’
McFerron’s colleague, Alison Greenberg, co-founder and CEO of Ruth Health, also weighed in, urging people to “think of TikTok as one voice among many.”
“Your provider will know your body best, I want to really encourage everybody to get input from a medical provider and not just from social media,” she said, then added, in a reference to the recent overturning of Roe v. Wade, “This is more dangerous than it’s ever been to get wrong [in the United States].”
According to the Guttmacher Institute, at least 43 abortion clinics across 11 states have stopped offering abortion care since Roe was lifted, a move the organization warns “will further deepen inequities in access to care.”
Since the Supreme Court overturned the ruling, lawmakers across the country have called for a tightening of abortion rules.
Oklahoma Attorney General John O'Connor recently issued guidance for law enforcement in which he said charges should be brought against those who perform elective abortions, while Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin reportedly said in June that he would “happily and gleefully” back any bill that would protect life—which he believes begins at conception.
Last month, Laura Huss, a researcher on abortion prosecutions in the U.S., told NPRthat with the lifting of Roe v. Wade, America is “likely to see more and more cases of abortion criminalization.”
Oversimplification of short-form videos
For Greenberg and McFerron, the oversimplification inherent in short-form social media videos risked causing problems when dealing with the many-month project of learning to use FAMs.
“Planned Parenthood suggests a birthing person spends six months tracking their cycle—so that’s six months without sex because you’re just regulating and figuring out how the rhythm method applies to you,” Greenberg said. “Is everybody who hears about and engages with the rhythm method on TikTok going to spend six months getting it right? Probably not. And that’s where I think the caution has to be—are you willing to make that commitment?”
McFerron emphasized that the six-month suggestion was also for people who had regular menstrual cycles—for people whose cycles were irregular, the suggested learning period would be even longer.
Reproductive rights ‘threatened’
Dr. Elina Berglund, co-founder and CEO of Natural Cycles—an app that uses an algorithm to track women’s fertile windows—told Fortune it was important to be aware that “not all fertility awareness methods are created equal.”
“As with any form of birth control, it’s important to understand how it works, its effectiveness, and most importantly—how to use it correctly to maximize effectiveness,” she said. “Natural Cycles uses body temperature and other fertility indicators to confirm ovulation—not just predict as the rhythm method does, and more importantly, reduces the risk of human error.”
Berglund said the top reason women were turning to FAMs was a desire to avoid the side effects that hormonal birth control could trigger.
Nicole Bendayan, founder of The Sync Society Academy, creates fertility awareness content for TikTok. She has more than 808,000 followers on the platform, and her videos have 6.2 million likes.
She told Fortune that after being on hormonal birth control for almost a decade, she developed a series of negative side effects—but said these were dismissed by four doctors within three years.
“Once I decided I needed to stop hormonal birth control, my symptoms went away and I began doing research on it,” Bendayan said. “I found every one of my symptoms was a proven side effect of the birth control that I was on. I also discovered that I was only actually fertile about seven days of the month and that I could avoid pregnancy by understanding the signs that my body was giving me.”
Bendayan, who describes herself as a holistic menstrual health educator, said she decided to start her company to ensure women could make informed decisions when it comes to health and reproductive choices.
“I would only ever recommend using the symptothermal method and that is what I teach to women,” she said. “Unfortunately, not all natural family planning methods are created equally, and short form video format can often lead to misinformation or missing information and end up misleading viewers.”
This story was originally featured on Fortune.com

@Camille

The fact that people are actually SURPRISED that THIS was the outcome is frustrating infuriating and just plan dumb

easy_b

BGOL Investor

For the sake of our society it’s probably best that some of these white millennials and generation Z are not having the kids. And here’s a little dirty secret that is becoming very evident some of these white people try to have a few kids but they just can’t but that’s a whole other conversation for another time.

christop

Rising Star
Registered
Millions are getting birth control advice from TikTok. Experts warn the consequences of getting it wrong have never been more dangerous in post-Roe America
Chloe Taylor
Sat, September 3, 2022 at 5:00 AM·10 min read

Millions are turning to TikTok for advice on preventing pregnancy without hormonal interventions like the pill—but the social platform is rife with misinformation and experts are warning that it's an especially dangerous moment for American women to take birth control advice from unvetted sources.
Interest in content that discusses fertility awareness methods (FAMs) of birth control—techniques that avoid unplanned pregnancies by abstaining from sex or using other forms of contraception around the time of ovulation—has soared on TikTok, with search terms associated with FAMs scoring millions of clicks on the site.
The boom in interest worries many reproductive care experts, however, who say that after the Supreme Court’s recent overturning of Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that made abortion access a constitutional right, women who turn to social media are putting their health at even more risk than in earlier times.
With individual states now able to further restrict abortion access, the concern is that women who don’t receive correct information on FAMs could end up inadvertently falling pregnant and being forced to carry to term.
“Speak to someone who is well versed in reproductive health, and that is obviously not an influencer on TikTok,” said Kimberly McFerron, head of birth work at pregnancy and women’s telehealth clinic Ruth Health. "With how threatened reproductive rights are here in the U.S., [getting FAMs wrong] becomes an astronomical issue very, very quickly.”
Using FAMs
Unlike hormonal birth control—which has been linked to side effects like acne, headaches and weight gain—FAMs have no physical side effects.
There are three main ways women who opt to use FAMs can track their ovulation, according to Planned Parenthood: recording their body temperature every morning before getting out of bed, monitoring their cervical mucus, and tracking their menstrual cycle.
Generally, medical practitioners advise that two or more of these methods should be used in conjunction with one another to increase efficacy. When multiple FAMs are combined, it is called the symptothermal method.
According to the British National Health Service (NHS), if natural family planning is followed “consistently and correctly,” it can be up to 99% effective.
However, Planned Parenthood says that typically, FAMs are only around 76% to 88% effective, meaning 12 to 24 couples out of every 100 using an FAM will get pregnant each year.
“The better you are about using FAMs the right way—tracking your fertility signs daily and avoiding sex or using birth control on ‘unsafe’ days—the more effective they’ll be,” the organization advises. “But there’s a chance that you’ll still get pregnant, even if you always use them perfectly.”
Hormonal contraceptives, like the pill and injections, are up to 99% effective with perfect use, while condoms are 98% effective at preventing pregnancy.
‘I’ve never been on birth control’
Videos related to the search term “rhythm method” have been viewed almost 1 billion times on TikTok, while content related to the topic “fam birth control method” has racked up 3.1 million views on the short-form video platform.
“I am 24 years old, and I have never been on birth control, and I’ve only ever gotten pregnant when we were trying to get pregnant,” one woman asserts in a TikTok video that has been liked more than 20,000 times.
“There’s actually a very small window every single month where you can get pregnant, and that’s when you’re ovulating, it’s called your fertile window.”
She goes on to tell viewers that hormone-free family planning is “a lot easier than you might think.”
“All you have to do is track your cycle, find out when you’re ovulating and be a lot more careful when you’re fertile,” she says. “You can take your body basal temperature, take ovulation tests and also just look at your cervical mucus. It is possible to not be on traditional birth control and not get pregnant.”
The woman who created the video did not respond to Fortune’s request for an interview.
Going hormone free isn’t straightforward. Various factors can make FAMs more or less effective—for example, sperm can live for several days in the right environment, and ovulation can happen on a different day in each cycle. Irregular menstrual cycles complicate the process, and healthcare providers generally advise taking several months to get to know your body before using a FAM.
‘A lot of misinformation’
Medical experts have warned that women may not be getting enough—or correct— information via TikTok.
Representatives for TikTok did not respond to Fortune’s request for comment.
Dr. Hiba Sher Khan, a clinician at British women’s health clinic Naytal, told Fortune that FAMs were “tricky” and not the form of contraception she would initially recommend to patients whose main priority was avoiding pregnancy.
“The FAM is generally only 76% effective, making it one of the least reliable forms of contraception,” she explained. “But with some careful planning, and if followed to a T, it can be 91% to 99% effective. So, my advice really depends on your personal preferences and beliefs.”
She added that she had noticed increased interest in FAMs, but said it was important for each individual to talk to a doctor to make sure they understood whether going hormone-free was or was not a suitable method of birth control for them.
“I think hormonal contraception unfortunately gets a bad rep and FAM is probably not well understood, since there is a lot of misinformation about both,” Khan said.
“Social media was never intended to be a platform for medical advice, so take what you see there with a pinch of salt. Everyone has different experiences and stories to tell, so only use social media as a springboard to find out more and seek personalized medical advice.”
‘Half-informed decisions’
Meanwhile, Kimberly McFerron of the pregnancy and women’s telehealth clinic Ruth Health warned that there was a steep learning curve when it came to getting FAMs right.
“It is not a thing you can just start doing next month if you want to do it successfully,” she told Fortune.
McFerron dubbed the rhythm method—a FAM that tracks the menstrual cycle to calculate when ovulation will occur—“outdated,” as it assumes all cycles last for 28 days and ovulation always occurs on day 14, neither of which are true.
Videos related to the term “rhythm method” on TikTok have had more than 905 million views.
“We also know that sperm life is very dependent on the environment it’s in, now we’re seeing that some sperm can live for up to 10 days, and so when we don’t provide all of that information to people and say ‘just practice the rhythm method, don’t have unprotected sex while you’re ovulating, it’s a small window,’ it’s misinformative and prevents a lot of opportunity for people to truly be able to make informed decisions over their bodies,” McFerron added.
“It then becomes a larger issue of perpetuating the idea that women only get partial information when it comes to reproductive education and reproductive rights, and it leaves us with this kind of situation we’ve been in for quite some time where we have to make these half-informed decisions.”
‘More dangerous than ever to get wrong’
McFerron’s colleague, Alison Greenberg, co-founder and CEO of Ruth Health, also weighed in, urging people to “think of TikTok as one voice among many.”
“Your provider will know your body best, I want to really encourage everybody to get input from a medical provider and not just from social media,” she said, then added, in a reference to the recent overturning of Roe v. Wade, “This is more dangerous than it’s ever been to get wrong [in the United States].”
According to the Guttmacher Institute, at least 43 abortion clinics across 11 states have stopped offering abortion care since Roe was lifted, a move the organization warns “will further deepen inequities in access to care.”
Since the Supreme Court overturned the ruling, lawmakers across the country have called for a tightening of abortion rules.
Oklahoma Attorney General John O'Connor recently issued guidance for law enforcement in which he said charges should be brought against those who perform elective abortions, while Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin reportedly said in June that he would “happily and gleefully” back any bill that would protect life—which he believes begins at conception.
Last month, Laura Huss, a researcher on abortion prosecutions in the U.S., told NPRthat with the lifting of Roe v. Wade, America is “likely to see more and more cases of abortion criminalization.”
Oversimplification of short-form videos
For Greenberg and McFerron, the oversimplification inherent in short-form social media videos risked causing problems when dealing with the many-month project of learning to use FAMs.
“Planned Parenthood suggests a birthing person spends six months tracking their cycle—so that’s six months without sex because you’re just regulating and figuring out how the rhythm method applies to you,” Greenberg said. “Is everybody who hears about and engages with the rhythm method on TikTok going to spend six months getting it right? Probably not. And that’s where I think the caution has to be—are you willing to make that commitment?”
McFerron emphasized that the six-month suggestion was also for people who had regular menstrual cycles—for people whose cycles were irregular, the suggested learning period would be even longer.
Reproductive rights ‘threatened’
Dr. Elina Berglund, co-founder and CEO of Natural Cycles—an app that uses an algorithm to track women’s fertile windows—told Fortune it was important to be aware that “not all fertility awareness methods are created equal.”
“As with any form of birth control, it’s important to understand how it works, its effectiveness, and most importantly—how to use it correctly to maximize effectiveness,” she said. “Natural Cycles uses body temperature and other fertility indicators to confirm ovulation—not just predict as the rhythm method does, and more importantly, reduces the risk of human error.”
Berglund said the top reason women were turning to FAMs was a desire to avoid the side effects that hormonal birth control could trigger.
Nicole Bendayan, founder of The Sync Society Academy, creates fertility awareness content for TikTok. She has more than 808,000 followers on the platform, and her videos have 6.2 million likes.
She told Fortune that after being on hormonal birth control for almost a decade, she developed a series of negative side effects—but said these were dismissed by four doctors within three years.
“Once I decided I needed to stop hormonal birth control, my symptoms went away and I began doing research on it,” Bendayan said. “I found every one of my symptoms was a proven side effect of the birth control that I was on. I also discovered that I was only actually fertile about seven days of the month and that I could avoid pregnancy by understanding the signs that my body was giving me.”
Bendayan, who describes herself as a holistic menstrual health educator, said she decided to start her company to ensure women could make informed decisions when it comes to health and reproductive choices.
“I would only ever recommend using the symptothermal method and that is what I teach to women,” she said. “Unfortunately, not all natural family planning methods are created equally, and short form video format can often lead to misinformation or missing information and end up misleading viewers.”
This story was originally featured on Fortune.com

@Camille

The fact that people are actually SURPRISED that THIS was the outcome is frustrating infuriating and just plan dumb
People want to fuck and many of them don't want kids. Let's also be honest most people don't want to use condoms because it's not nearly as enjoyable and honestly it feels unnatural. These Republicans don't care though they want them white babies.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
People want to fuck and many of them don't want kids. Let's also be honest most people don't want to use condoms because it's not nearly as enjoyable it honestly feels unnatural. These Republicans don't care though they want them white babies.
Yeah but that training done left the station 40 years ago and is not coming back they are going to get more black and brown and mixed babies now. Also this abortion law is beginning to foot with white women medically because a lot of them are going to be dying because of bad pregnancies. Also white people are naturally having problems bearing kids anyways