TV Show Discussion: The Boys by Garth Ennis on Amazon Prime (Fonz Approved!!!) Update: Gen V spin off airing new!

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Amazon is dropping the first three episodes all at once on September 4. But after that, you'll have to wait for another new episode each Friday. That means The Boys Season 2 finale won't air until October 9.
Damn. So used to binging can't do this staggered horse shit. Fortunately, I only got to wait until October 9 to get all the episodes. With 2k and madden, time will fly.

Clowns always fucking with a good thing. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys' Showrunner Is Already Working Toward the Series' Ending
Seth Rogen has confirmed that The Boys showrunner Eric Kripke has a definite number of seasons and a specific ending for the Amazon Prime series.
BY NEERAJ CHANDAUG 11, 2020
Amazon is getting ready to release the second season of its hit superhero show The Boys, with a third season for the series being confirmed during Comic-Con@Home. While such programs often tend to go on as long as they remain popular, Seth Rogen has revealed that the creative team behind The Boys is aiming for a finite storytelling arc.
"[Showrunner] Erik [Kripke] does have an ending in mind that he likes and is working towards," Rogen told GamesRadar+. "But I do also know how fluid these things are." Noting that while many of his favorite shows were created without a definite end in mind, Rogen added that to his knowledge, "[Kripke] has an endgame in sight and an ideal number of seasons in his head."
Continue Scrolling To Keep ReadingClick the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

RELATED: The Boys: X-Men's Iceman, Shawn Ashmore, Joins Season 2 As Lamplighter
The actor/producer then went on to talk about the fickle nature of storytelling in entertainment, revealing that he has, "literally been in the writers' room where someone says something and you go, 'Oh no, maybe we need two more seasons to do this idea we all like!'". But when it comes to The Boys, Rogen specified that Kripke has been "very deliberate in the plotting out of the show."
While ending his remarks regarding The Boys, Rogen noted that he and Kripke "talk so much about a crowd-pleasing experience with the show and making our TV equivalent of a fun, edgy blockbuster. So we've been very aware of making sure people are super happy with what's happening and not disappointed with how it all goes down."

Amazon's The Boys started out as a faithful adaptation of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's best-selling comic book series, but the show quickly made clear during the first season that it would be departing significantly from the comics in terms of the various storylines and character motivations. Although the comic series ended in 2012, the show is forging its own path towards what is likely to be a very different ending that will, according to Rogen, satisfy the show's global following and finish the series on a high note.
RELATED:How The Boys May Update Stormfront For The Social Media Age

Amazon Studios' The Boys stars Karl Urban as Billy Butcher, Jack Quaid as Hughie, Laz Alonso as Mother's Milk, Tomer Kapon as Frenchie, Karen Fukuhara as the Female, Erin Moriarty as Annie January, Chace Crawford as the Deep, Antony Starr as Homelander, Aya Cash as Stormfront and Simon Pegg as Hughie's dad. Season 2 premieres Sept. 4 on Amazon Prime Video.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys Showrunner Thinks Five Seasons Is a Good Run for the Series
While an official ending date for The Boys hasn't been announced, showrunner Eric Kripke believes five seasons might be a good stopping point.
BY JOHN RIDLEHOOVERAUG 17, 2020
Eric Kripke, who was previously the showrunner on Supernatural and currently holds the same position on The Boys, recently spoke about a possible timeline for the popular Amazon Prime series.
During a recent interview with ComicBookMovie, Kripke started off by saying that he would not officially name an "end point" for The Boys. "That said, you know, I think five years is a nice round number on this one," Kripke then clarified. "I can't say I have a beat for beat plan and, for the record, I didn't have one on Supernatural."
RELATED: The Boys Star Teases Blood (And Cuddles) In Season 2 With An Ominous Homelander Photo
Continue Scrolling To Keep ReadingClick the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

Kripke went on to say that he does have some endings planned and the upcoming Season 3 of The Boys would be moving towards those conclusions. "But, I don't know the details of how we get there," he added. "Like I said, I literally couldn't have been more wrong about the length of Supernatural, so I will not make any hard or fast rules here."
Season 2 of The Boys is set to release in a few weeks, with the season's final trailer dropping earlier this month. Meanwhile, it was recently announced that Supernatural's Jensen Ackles would be joining The Boys as a hero called Soldier Boy in Season 3.

RELATED: The Boys' Showrunner Is Already Working Toward The Series' Ending
Amazon Studios' The Boys stars Karl Urban as Billy Butcher, Jack Quaid as Hughie, Laz Alonso as Mother's Milk, Tomer Kapon as Frenchie, Karen Fukuhara as the Female, Erin Moriarty as Annie January, Chace Crawford as the Deep, Antony Starr as Homelander, Aya Cash as Stormfront and Simon Pegg as Hughie's dad. Season 2 premieres Sept. 4 on Amazon Prime Video.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@ViCiouS @fonz @largebillsonlyplease @ansatsusha_gouki

The Boys Showrunner Eric Kripke Claims “The White Dudes Standing Next To You” Are “the Most Dangerous People”

John F. Trent August 11, 2020 Television

The Boys showrunner Eric Kripke recently discussed the upcoming second season of the Amazon show based on Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s comic series.

In an interview with ScreenRant, Kripke was asked, “In season two, there’s the supervillain terrorists all over the world that have been activated by Homelander. However, you never really get the sense that they’re more dangerous than their creators. Can you talk to me a little bit about that dynamic?”

2020.08.11-08.53-boundingintocomics-5f3305390da94.jpg

He answered,

“Yeah, it’s a great question. We were really interested in exploring the idea of authority figures getting the public really riled up with xenophobia and racism, but ultimately the most dangerous people are the white dudes standing next to you. We wanted to reflect that story. So, the supervillains are, in a way, a misdirect.”

Just as a reminder in the first season of The Boys, The Seven included Translucent, Black Noir, A-Train, Starlight, Queen Maeve, The Deep, and Homelander.

Related: Amazon’s The Boys’ Executive Producer Seth Rogen Claims Christians Believe Jews Need To Die In Israel To Fulfill An Apocalyptic Prophecy

There were three white men on the team in Homelander, The Deep, and Translucent. A-Train is black, it’s unclear what Black Noir’s race as he never takes off his mask. Starlight and Queen Maeve are both white women.

The Boys executed Translucent in the first season. He’s expected to be replaced by a gender-swapped Stormfront. It also appears that The Deep might get sidelined from the team as well.

Kripke then claims that part of Season 2 was inspired by real world events when a caravan of Central American immigrants attempted to illegally enter the United States of America

He continued, “We wrote it at the time of the travel ban, if you remember; the caravan that were ‘going to come over the border and rape all the white women.’ We were in that world, and the way that authority figures were drumming up fear in these outsiders was disgusting, frankly.”

He elaborated, “And so we wanted to reflect that story, which is Vought and the superheroes and Stormfront are really drumming up quite a lot of fear about these supervillains. When in reality, Homelander and Stormfront are the real threat.”

2020.08.11-08.51-boundingintocomics-5f3304c067d23-2048x1365.jpg

Not only did Kripke indicate that white dudes standing next to you are the most dangerous people, but he also reiterated that the show would explore white nationalism through Stormfront played by Aya Cash.

Related: Amazon’s The Boys Showrunner Eric Kripke Confirms Season 2 Will Include Storyline About “Rise of White Nationalism”

Kripke had previously detailed the second season would be about white nationalism in an interview with Coming Soon back in August 2019.

He told them, “Yeah, our version of Stormfront kind of evolves over the season. And I think the comic books version of Stormfront, with again, great respect to the comic, which I love, it’s a pretty straight forward character, you know? The first lines out of his mouth are like, “Schnell!” He’s pretty straight up just like a full-on Nazi. And it’s hard to do reveals with a guy like that.”

2020.08.11-08.52-boundingintocomics-5f3304f80f405-scaled.jpg

Kripke continued, “But where the idea emerged, and without spoiling too much, what I’ll say is under the writer room mantra of ‘Bad for the world, Good for the show,’ we’re all news junkies, and we tend to pay attention to things that are happening out there in the world, and how do we use our super heroes as a metaphor for that? And I am horrified and sad to report that there is a rise of white nationalism.”

He then elaborated on how they will address white nationalism in the show, “And it’s taking a very different form than it took in the 40s. It takes a very social media savvy trying to attract young men and women form. And so, we got really interested in creating a character that could represent that for us. And so, as I would say, it’s not the version in the book, but I would say they have the same rotten soul.”

Speaking with ScreenRant, Kripke echoed those comments responding to a question about Stormfront and what Aya Cash brings to the role. He would also explain why they decided to gender swap Stormfront.

Related: Amazon’s The Boys Gender Swaps Stormfront For Season 2 – She’s Also A Feminist

He stated, “First, Aya brings such like a formidable intelligence and wit, and she’s just so sharp and smart. And we really needed that. The goal was to create Homelander’s worst nightmare, which is a woman who wasn’t afraid of him and proceeds to steal his spotlight. That’s the worst thing that that gaping black hole of insecurity would ever deal with. So that was the idea originally, or at the start, and why we gender flipped the character from the books – who is a man.”

2020.08.11-09.00-boundingintocomics-5f3306daa592c.jpg

Kripke continued, “And then she was our way to get into issues of white nationalism. Anyone who reads the books knows who this character really is, and we ultimately reveal it. She has a very hateful ideology, but we were really interested in modernizing it and how it’s sort of often expressed today.”

“It’s wrapped in a very savvy social media package, and a lot of these people come on as like disruptors. “We’re gonna be free thinkers about our hateful ideology,” and so they come off in a kind of an insidious way, because they’re attractive to young people until you dig a little deeper and then you realize it’s the same hate they’ve been peddling for 1000 years. And we wanted to reflect that in that character,” he elaborated.

The Boys will premiere its first three episodes on September 4th with new episodes debuting every Friday until the finale on October 9th. The second season will have a total of eight episodes.

Here’s the official description:

“The even more intense, more insane Season 2 finds The Boys on the run from the law, hunted by the Supes, and desperately trying to regroup and fight back against Vought. In hiding, Hughie (Jack Quaid), Mother’s Milk (Laz Alonso), Frenchie (Tomer Capon) and Kimiko (Karen Fukuhara) try to adjust to a new normal, with Butcher (Karl Urban) nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, Starlight (Erin Moriarty) must navigate her place in The Seven as Homelander (Antony Starr) sets his sights on taking complete control. His power is threatened with the addition of Stormfront (Aya Cash), a social media-savvy new Supe, who has an agenda of her own. On top of that, the Supervillain threat takes center stage and makes waves as Vought seeks to capitalize on the nation’s paranoia.

The Supes of The Seven also include Queen Maeve (Dominique McElligott), A-Train (Jessie T. Usher), The Deep (Chace Crawford) and Black Noir (Nathan Mitchell). Recurring stars in season two include Claudia Doumit, Goran Visnijc, Malcolm Barrett, Colby Minifie, Shantel VanSanten, Cameron Crovetti, PJ Byrne, Laila Robbins and Giancarlo Esposito returning as Vought boss Stan Edgar, among others.”

What do you make of Kripke’s comments? Does this get you excited for The Boys Season 2?

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys Showrunner Was Really Stressed Making Season 2
By ADAM BARNHARDT - August 29, 2020 06:54 pm EDT

Shortly after The Boys hit Amazon Prime last year, it took the internet by storm. In an age where superhero tentpoles ruled the box office, the streaming series served as a stark contrast to what was available to fans in theaters. Instead of the family-friendly fair for the masses, The Boys offered a hard-R superhero offering that was equally parts shocking and groundbreaking, at least for the current media climate.

That's why series creator Eric Kripke says he was stressed when it came to writing the show's second season. With the surprising response to the show's first outing, the Supernatural creator says it took a lot of tiptoeing around expectations for the hit's sophomore outing.

"I think that maintaining something that was as good, if not better, is really scary. I was really stressed making season two, because I was so happy with how season one turned out, and it was so well received, that you don't wanna be the one-hit wonder," Kripke tells ComicBook.com.

"You feel a real pressure to make it as good. By the same respect, you know, because I've done this job for a while, the first mistake that showrunners make is they try to make a season two bigger, and that's ultimately unsustainable. Because even if you can pull it off, you jump the shark by season three," the writer adds. "So I thought, I attack this season with like, 'Okay, let's not go bigger with, let's go deeper. Let's be more intense. Let's corner all of our characters. Let's put them all under the most pressure we possibly can.' And then let's see what comes out, and how they reveal new facets of who they are. And that you can keep doing season, after season, after season. So that was the goal."

Fortunately enough for Kripke and his writer's room, Amazon believed in his take on the second season, they ordered a third season weeks ahead of the debut of the next batch of episodes. Season Two has already tallied a near-perfect 96-percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The review-aggregating site says the season "comes out swinging" as it digs further into "its complicated characters" while upping "the action ante without pulling any of its socially critical punches."

0COMMENTS
The Boys Season Two hits Amazon Prime Video on September 4th.

Where'd you rank The Boys amongst other comic book-based shows? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
Woke up this morning. Made me a small breakfast and a nice cup of coffee and started the stream. It did not disappoint. However, I don't like the 3 episode per week release. I am ready for the rest.

• I can do without fake Aquaman's storyline. I know it may come together in the end but I was not feeling his scenes.
  • I am a big fan of Giancarlo Espinosa but the emotionless, straight-to-the-point, ultra-business persona is starting to get a little repetitive.
  • I was thinking that the new chick on the seven was just there for comic relief and to get on Homelander's nerve but now I see she may be a bigger problem than him.
  • Black Noir is still the shit.
  • Damn, @ Homelander with the blind recruit with the supersonic hearing.
  • Something about Butcher's wife rubs me the wrong way.
  • There were a couple of scenes with Lightbright where I was like, "Damn, she got a lil' phatty behind her." But then I remembered how cameras and angles plus padding in wardrobes can make people's body look better on screen. I image searched the actress and sure enough, she isn't holding that much. I guess because her costume is the most revealing that I noticed.
  • Homelander Jr... SMH.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Woke up this morning. Made me a small breakfast and a nice cup of coffee and started the stream. It did not disappoint. However, I don't like the 3 episode per week release. I am ready for the rest.

• I can do without fake Aquaman's storyline. I know it may come together in the end but I was not feeling his scenes.
  • I am a big fan of Giancarlo Espinosa but the emotionless, straight-to-the-point, ultra-business persona is starting to get a little repetitive.
  • I was thinking that the new chick on the seven was just there for comic relief and to get on Homelander's nerve but now I see she may be a bigger problem than him.
  • Black Noir is still the shit.
  • Damn, @ Homelander with the blind recruit with the supersonic hearing.
  • Something about Butcher's wife rubs me the wrong way.
  • There were a couple of scenes with Lightbright where I was like, "Damn, she got a lil' phatty behind her." But then I remembered how cameras and angles plus padding in wardrobes can make people's body look better on screen. I image searched the actress and sure enough, she isn't holding that much. I guess because her costume is the most revealing that I noticed.
  • Homelander Jr... SMH.
I think its just one per week from here on out.