The Top Hip-Hop Artists From Long Island?

Who is the top hip-hop artist from Long Island?

• Public Enemy

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Eric B. & Rakim

Votes: 56 38.1%
  • EPMD

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • De La Soul

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Busta Rhymes/Leaders Of The New School

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who is the top hip-hop artist from Long Island?
Note: This is just based on a combination of fame, popularity, record sales, etc. not who's the best mc.

public-enemy.jpg

Public Enemy is an American hip hop group consisting of Chuck D, Flavor Flav, DJ Lord (who replaced Terminator X in 1999), The S1W group, Music Director Khari Wynn and Professor Griff who was dismissed from the group for anti-semitic remarks in 1990 but came back later in 1998. Formed in Long Island, New York, in 1982, Public Enemy is known for their politically charged lyrics and criticism of the American media, with an active interest in the frustrations and concerns of the African American community. Their first four albums during the late 1980s and early 1990s were all certified either gold or platinum and were, according to music critic Robert Hilburn, "the most acclaimed body of work ever by a rap act.

Eric-B-front-and-Rakim-No-007.jpg

Eric B. & Rakim were a hip-hop duo composed of DJ Eric Barrier (born November 8, 1965[2]) and MC Rakim (born William Michael Griffin Jr. on January 28, 1968). Hailing from Long Island, New York, the pair are generally considered by hip hop enthusiasts to be one of the most influential and innovative groups in the genre. During hip hop's "golden age" of the mid-1980s to the early 1990s, the duo was almost universally regarded as the premier MC/DJ combo in hip hop. The two had a potent chemistry; the duo's beats built on the hard-hitting sound of Run-D.M.C. by adding James Brown samples and Eric B's scratching, setting the stage for hip hop's late-1980s/early-1990s infatuation with samples from Brown.

epmd.jpg

EPMD is an American hip hop group from Brentwood, New York. The group's name is a concatenation of the members' name "E" and "PMD" or an acronym for "Erick and Parrish Making Dollars", referencing its members, emcees Erick Sermon ("E" aka E Double) and Parrish J Smith ("PMD" aka Parish Mic Doc).

2979498.png

De La Soul is an American hip hop trio formed in 1987 on Long Island, New York.[2] The band is best known for their eclectic sampling, quirky lyrics, and their contributions to the evolution of the jazz rap and alternative hip hop subgenres. The members are Kelvin Mercer, David Jude Jolicoeur and Vincent Mason, known under a variety of nicknames. The three formed the group in high school and caught the attention of producer Prince Paul with a demo tape of the song "Plug Tunin'". With its playful wordplay, innovative sampling, and witty skits, the band's debut album, 3 Feet High and Rising, has been called "a hip hop masterpiece."

LeadersOfTheNewSchool.jpg

Leaders of the New School was a Long Island, New York-based hip hop crew.The crew was composed of Uniondale, New York, natives Charlie Brown (born Bryan Higgins on September 19, 1970) and Dinco D (born James Jackson); North Amityville, New York native Cut Monitor Milo (born Sheldon Scott); and Busta Rhymes (born Trevor Smith, Jr. on May 20, 1972). After the group dissipated, Busta Rhymes began making guest appearances on several hip-hop and R&B artists singles.In the summer of 1995, Busta Rhymes started work on his first album The Coming, and a month after recording the album, he released it in March 1996. A month before the album was released, he broke out with a solo hit single, "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check". Later, he started work on his second album, When Disaster Strikes, which would not be released until September 1997. It produced the hit singles "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See" and "Fire It Up".

The Top Hip-Hop Artists From New Jersey?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=740604

The Top Hip-Hop Artist From Brooklyn?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=740599

Top Hip-Hop Artists From Queens?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=740545

The Top Hip-Hop Artists From Atlanta?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=740547

The Top Hip-Hop Artists From The Bay Area?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=740712

The Top Hip-Hop Artists From Southern California?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=762537

Last edited:

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Strong island?

Isn't queens and bk on thy same island

Technically... YES... :yes:

but all 3 are different counties...

Queens County... Kings County(Brooklyn)... Nassau County(L.I. which is like Hempstead... Roosevelt... Freeport... etc)... and Suffolk County( Wyandanch... Central Islip... the Hamptons... etc)

Suffolk is DEEP Long Island...

Nassau is right next to Queens... basically.

But on the map... BK/Queens/ L.I. are all connected... :yes:

Last edited:

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So basically

Bk and queens nigga are strong islands niggus?

Money making manhattan>>>>

NO... :smh:

It's the other way around... :yes:

Most L.I. niggas come from the boroughs... :yes:

For example... Eddie And Charlie Murphy, although they grew up in Roosevelt... are really BK niggas...

Pos from De La Soul... grew up in Amityville... BUT... He's really a Bronx nigga...

Rakim... Harlem... Busta... BK...:yes:

Method Man is the opposite... he's a Hempstead nigga who moved to Staten Island... :yes:

Liquid7

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Technically... YES... :yes:

but all 3 are different counties...

Queens County... Kings County(Brooklyn)... Nassau County(L.I. which is like Hempstead... Roosevelt... Freeport... etc)... and Suffolk County( Wyandanch... Central Islip... the Hamptons... etc)

Suffolk is DEEP Long Island...

Nassau is right next to Queens... basically.

But on the map... BK/Queens/ L.I. are all connected... :yes:

11798 all day!

mathtest

Rising Star
OG Investor
prodigy is from long island also, but my personal fav from long island is epmd, is Keith Murray from long island or bk?

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Gotta go with Rakim though I believe Eric B. is from Brooklyin.

PE is a real close second and much more successful but still have to go with Rakim based off of his place as one of the greats as far as MC's IMO.

I think Keith Murray is from Long Island.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I remember seeing epmd at the apollo and bitchs were just handing E phone numbers.... not so much parish tho....

I was like damn I need to start writing rhymes...I did..

I was like yeaaaa
yes yes yall

to the beat yall

then I got a job

the end

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
busta is from brooklyn. dude went to school with big and jay
Busta may have went to High School with Biggie and Jay... but He graduated high school while he was living in Uniondale... That I know for a fact... :yes:
I believe Eric B. is from Brooklyin.

Eric B comes from East Elmhurst(he lived damn near across the street from LaGuardia Airport)... Same neighborhood as Salt n Pepa's producer Herbie Love bug... :yes:

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So basically most if not all these niggas are from the burbs?

OH NO... DO NOT GET IT FUCKED UP... :smh:

Wyandanch IS THE HOOD... Some parts of Freeport... Roosevelt... and Hempstead... are HOOD... Part of Amityville are HOOD... :yes:

Do not make the mistake of thinking LI ain't hood... :smh:

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh best believe I know there are hoods in every city but is it safe to say that 90 percent of LI aint bad?

It's depends...

For instance... When you're talking about Nassau county... then the breakdown is... The South shore(Hempstead... Roosevelt... Freeport) is way more hood than the North shore( Manhassett... Muncie Park... Roslyn... Port Washington)... Suffolk County... it's not that many hood areas.

The thing is... 90% percent of the rappers who are from LI... come from those hood areas... :yes:

Overall though... Long Island isn't bad at all... and there's way more nice ares than there are not so nice places... :yes:

AND... There's some REAL BALLER parts too... Like Muttontown... Sand's Point... of course... The Hamptons... Dix Hills... :yes:

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

Real Niggas Get Real Pussy
BGOL Investor
Why does that matter? I never understood that if you not from the hood, then your music can't be hardcore.
Because a nigga like DRAKE shouldn't or couldn't make genuine hardcore music.
It's depends...

For instance... When you're talking about Nassau county... then the breakdown is... The South shore(Hempstead... Roosevelt... Freeport) is way more hood than the North shore( Manhassett... Muncie Park... Roslyn... Port Washington)... Suffolk County... it's not that many hood areas.

The thing is... 90% percent of the rappers who are from LI... come from those hood areas... :yes:

Overall though... Long Island isn't bad at all... and there's way more nice ares than there are not so nice places... :yes:

AND... There's some REAL BALLER parts too... Like Muttontown... Sand's Point... of course... The Hamptons... Dix Hills... :yes:

Ok I feel you..I just hate when niggas represent cities like its a third world country when 90 percent of the city is great! For instance..Chicago is called CHI-RAQ...man all the bullshit is confined to certain sections of the city...anyone can come up here and have a great time and not worry about any of that bullshit they show on tv.