The Importance of Salt & Water. For my health conscious BGOL Family. Thank me later.

Majestic Lion

fidélité à la mort
Registered
Adding on a little something to think about with this thread. I'd wondered about why every.single.show.or.recipe stresses "kosher" salt over other kinds. A little history can go a long way. Knowing your ingredients and their source(s) is a must.

The Kosher Salt Question

https://www.tastecooking.com/kosher-salt-question/

If you’ve cooked out of a book, magazine, or newspaper in the past three decades or so, chances are pretty good that many of the recipes you’ve used have called for kosher salt. It’s been an American standard for a good while. The trouble is that the two major kosher salt brands—Diamond Crystal and Morton—perform in wildly different ways.

All salt is the same ingredient: NaCl, or sodium chloride. But a cup of Morton is nearly twice as salty as Diamond Crystal. Its thin crystals, made by pressing salt granules in high-pressurized rollers, are much denser than those of Diamond Crystal, which uses a patented pan-evaporation process, called the Alberger method, that results in pyramidal crystals. While different brands of fine sea salts and table salts generally have around the same weight by volume, kosher salts do not. “And it’s not only the weight,” says Lalli Music. “Morton is a coarser salt. It takes a little longer to dissolve.” So even at the same weight, it actually performs differently. It’s easier to add too much of the slow-dissolving Morton salt because it may not have fully liquefied when you’ve tasted something.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
I bought some Pink Himalayan salt when I first started doing keto IF. It was good, but it comes in a grinder and I just hated to have to keep grinding it when I want to use it. Sends salt everywhere.

I'll get back on it tonight.

And I drink plain water all day at work out of bottles. Should I just like have a lick of some Himalayan salt and then down the water? Because trying to get PHS into a bottle probably ain't gone work too good when I gotta grind it.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I bought some Pink Himalayan salt when I first started doing keto IF. It was good, but it comes in a grinder and I just hated to have to keep grinding it when I want to use it. Sends salt everywhere.

I'll get back on it tonight.

And I drink plain water all day at work out of bottles. Should I just like have a lick of some Himalayan salt and then down the water? Because trying to get PHS into a bottle probably ain't gone work too good when I gotta grind it.

I bought the PHS also but I didn't like that

it was course ground, so that's why I

Just buy the Fine Ground Celtic Sea salt

because it quickly dissolves in water.

I used put a 1/4 teaspoon in a bottle of

cold spring water and shake it for about

10 seconds.... that's it!

Now I just keep my half gallon igloo

cooler close by with ice cold water

with the Celtic salt. :cool:

91bK75-wyYL._SY550_.jpg