Superteams usually underperform - will Durant's Warriors be different?

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
You think that because you don't really understand how Durant plays and the context of the Thunder. Read this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-the-warriors-in-almost-every-way-possible/

Kevin Durant upgrades the Warriors in almost every way possible

imrs.php

Kevin Durant upgrades the Warriors in almost every way possible. (Mark D. Smith/USA TODAY Sports)
Kevin Durant, by joining the most efficient offense in the NBA, gets to play alongside Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, giving the Golden State Warriors an immediate upgrade over Harrison Barnes. And while the team that set the NBA record for most regular season wins didn’t need another superstar on the roster, adding one as bright as Durant should make this team virtually unstoppable.

[How LeBron James, the CBA and James Harden pushed Kevin Durant to the Warriors]

But first, to fully transform himself as part of the Warriors’ offensive scheme, Durant has to say goodbye to hero ball. Specifically, he has to put himself in fewer man-to-man, or isolation, situations. Among forwards, only Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James ran isos more often. In the playoffs, only James, Kyrie Irving and Russell Westbrook found themselves in man-to-man situations more frequently, and all were more efficient scorers.

Instead, Durant needs to just be what he is: a much better version of Barnes.

An integral part of the vaunted small-ball lineup of death, Barnes was used primarily as a spot-up shooter, relying on a no-dribble jumper that produced 1.14 points per possession during the regular season. Durant wasn’t used on this play as often with the Thunder, but when Durant’s number was called, he was more efficient (1.19 points per possession).

Five key playoff plays that sent Kevin Durant to the Warriors]

ninth team in NBA history to be 10 or more points better than an average team. Normally you would expect some regression after such a dominating season, but after adding Durant, it’s hard to imagine the Warriors slipping at all.
You know something, I never read articles, because those guys can be so wrong year after year with no accountability. Nope I rather go on my own sense of logic and what I see... Trust me my track record is way better than those clowns..

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Miami was a super team?

According to resident Jordan dickrider tallblack, it was the greatest team ever assembled. Better than the Bulls, Lakers, or Celtics. Voltron if you will. Im sure he doesnt feel the same about this team and will be rooting for them in the Finals if they face LeBrons Cavs.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Obviously you can't fucking see then because statistically he's ranked top 1% in the entire fucking league. You probably don't watch the Thunder play :lol:
He's clearly shook that KD went to GS..it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what GS does fits KD and how he wants to play..even @Amajorfucup knows this..yet RR will continue to argue about nothing :hmm:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
He's clearly shook that KD went to GS..it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what GS does fits KD and how he wants to play..even @Amajorfucup knows this..yet RR will continue to argue about nothing :hmm:
I made the same exact argument against both Wade and Durant playing for the CAvs, and yet you said nothing... Hmmmm why do you suppose so???

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

I ain't gonna lie. I'm conflicted. I want to see yall lose, but I've always been intrigued by this Durant shit (from the very beginning of the rumors) because, on paper, it's a perfect fit and could produce the best team ever.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
I ain't gonna lie. I'm conflicted. I want to see yall lose, but I've always been intrigued by this Durant shit (from the very beginning of the rumors) because, on paper, it's a perfect fit and could produce the best team ever.
My argument is that the Warriors lost, not because they didn't have enough shooters, for one I was screaming how Curry and Thompson needs to shoot more, the reason why they lost is because they did not have enough shots and because they could not stop the Cavs on defense..
So based off of that, them signing someone like Whiteside would have made them the perfect team due to the shots he would add, while the K.D. signing will potentially take away from the splash brother, with out adding any more shots...

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
My argument is that the Warriors lost, not because they didn't have enough shooters, for one I was screaming how Curry and Thompson needs to shoot more,

Curry and Thompson don't need more shots. They get enough and in the playoffs, that long distance shooting can hurt you. Durant is both a shooter and a score. Curry and Klay sometime act like you get a -1 if you miss inside the 3 point line. Durant both scores in the lane and a leading post player whether you see it or not.

the reason why they lost is because they did not have enough shots and because they could not stop the Cavs on defense..

I told the Warriors fans that the Finals turned on Bogut getting hurt. I'm on the record saying that because with Iggy not being 100% too, it meant Lebron was going to get into the lane whenever he wanted.

I don't disagree with the second part of the above. The real key is if Durant continues to play like he's played (they'll be unstoppable) or if he falls in love with the 3 point line like Curry and Klay have... and even Green caught the bug from Curry and Klay and passed up on layups in game 7.

But this can only be judged by one thing: Swapping out Barnes for Durant. By any measure, they've improved their squad.

They're much better defensively too. Durant ranked #1 in the entire league on contested shots. You don't know this type of player he is by all the shit you keep writing.

Whiteside wasn't happening. With Curry do up for a contract, whiteside wasn't a possibility because he wanted a long-term deal. Durant works because it's a 2 year deal and it allows them flexibility when Curry's new deal comes up.

Last edited:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Curry and Thompson don't need more shots. They get enough and in the playoffs, that long distance shooting can hurt you. Durant is both a shooter and a scare. Curry and Klay sometimes act like you get a -1 if you miss inside the 3 point line. Durant both scores in the lane and a leading post player whether you see it or not.

I told the Warriors fans that the Finals turned on Bogut getting hurt. I'm on the record saying that because with Iggy not being 100% too, it meant Lebron was going to get into the lane whenever he wanted.

I don't disagree with the second part of the above. The real key is if Durant continues to play like he's played (they'll be unstoppable) or if he falls in love with the 3 point line like Curry and Klay have... and even Green caught the bug from Curry and Klay and passed up on layups in game 7.

But this can only be judged by one thing: Swapping out Barnes for Durant. By any measure, they've improved their squad.
On paper what you say is correct, so I see why so many people take this stand, but in actuality the roll Barnes, JR Smith, Love and even Bosh was forced to play is very difficult, anyone who has ever played with a chucker knows how hard it is to be effective with out getting your proper touches and on this Warrior team I guarantee Durant will not get his proper touches, and I guarantee that players like Curry, Thompson and even Green will be that open to sacrificing shots that they know they can hit to K.D.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
On paper what you say is correct, so I see why so many people take this stand, but in actuality the roll Barnes, JR Smith, Love and even Bosh was forced to play is very difficult, anyone who has ever played with a chucker knows how hard it is to be effective with out getting your proper touches and on this Warrior team I guarantee Durant will not get his proper touches, and I guarantee that players like Curry, Thompson and even Green will be that open to sacrificing shots that they know they can hit to K.D.

That doesn't float for Barnes man. He just played like ass. He took as many shots Klay over the last 3 games and he was like 5 for 37.

Bosh's situation was way different because that squad was full of players who dominate the ball. The entire Warriors offensive, like the spurs, is built on ball movement.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
s Warrior team I guarantee Durant will not get his proper touches, .

Barnes took 11 shots per game last year. KD took 19.

Green, Curry and, Klay will probably take two less shots per game and KD is right back up at 17 per game... which will probably him averaging 25-26 per game because he'll shoot a higher percentage because he'll get higher quality shots.

And they'll all probably see an increase in shooting percentage because theyll get easier shots (much like bosh, lebron, and wade experienced in Miami).

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
My argument is that the Warriors lost, not because they didn't have enough shooters, for one I was screaming how Curry and Thompson needs to shoot more, the reason why they lost is because they did not have enough shots and because they could not stop the Cavs on defense..
So based off of that, them signing someone like Whiteside would have made them the perfect team due to the shots he would add, while the K.D. signing will potentially take away from the splash brother, with out adding any more shots...

durant is a damn good defender though lol

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I made the same exact argument against both Wade and Durant playing for the CAvs, and yet you said nothing... Hmmmm why do you suppose so???
@Spectrum and @Selfscience and others have explained in great detail how he fits and how GS offense will be again its not rocket science..you continue to compare teams that don't have the same type of players, don't have the same type of coaching philosophies, don't have the same type of offenses nor run the same type of plays, don't even play the same; yet we wrong or off with our assessments and you on point:hmm:....

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

Green, Curry and, Klay will probably take two less shots per game and KD is right back up at 17 per game... which will probably him averaging 25-26 per game because he'll shoot a higher percentage because he'll get higher quality shots.

And they'll all probably see an increase in shooting percentage because theyll get easier shots (much like bosh, lebron, and wade experienced in Miami).
LeBron didn't get easier shots until he had outside shooter to free him, this is why they lost to the Mavs and lost to the Spurs the 2nd time after his shooters failed him..
With players like KD and Kobe, they don't need jump shooters to free them, they need touches and to be involved in the offense... What they need more is re-bounders to correct some of those misses... Everyteam that Kobe played on he had great rebounders and every team LeBron has won with had great outside shooters..
Again the Thunder has too much redundancy when it comes to player who need touches and need to have freedom at shooting when ever they feel.. You are not going to see too many instances where K.D. is allowed to take five shots in a row the way he was accustomed to doing on OKC its going to be tough for Curry to do it, and you and I know that both players (you can include Thompson in that also) are a peak form when they are given maximum shot freedom...

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

i explained that to him yesterday.
barnes took 10 shots a game last season but he could have taken at least 3. there were 3 shots a game he couldn't take because he wasn't skilled enough to do it. either a drive opportunity where he gets stripped like usual or someone rushing to close out and he passes the ball where durant will just take the jumper on a close out. those 10 shots were spoon fed shots where he didn't have to create. if he could create he probably would've jumped up to about 13 a game. and especially if he was more aggressive he would have gotten around 13 a game.
the shots are there for durant.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Man. I'm opposed to Goliath teams unless it's my squad. Fuck yall. Ray Allen ain't played in 2 seasons and he's talking about coming back to play for the Warriors.. yall the %1, Bills.

we not though we everything right with the world we came from the hood you supposed to be happy for us

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Curry and Thompson don't need more shots. They get enough and in the playoffs, that long distance shooting can hurt you. Durant is both a shooter and a score. Curry and Klay sometime act like you get a -1 if you miss inside the 3 point line. Durant both scores in the lane and a leading post player whether you see it or not.

They're much better defensively too. Durant ranked #1 in the entire league on contested shots. You don't know this type of player he is by all the shit you keep writing.

Whiteside wasn't happening. With Curry do up for a contract, whiteside wasn't a possibility because he wanted a long-term deal. Durant works because it's a 2 year deal and it allows them flexibility when Curry's new deal comes up.

Durant already loves to drive. He loves to drive more than anybody does he just rarely if ever had a real lane because of the lack of outside shooting in okc. i don't see him falling in love with the 3 he was already going to the rim and dunking on cats in okc off solo shit what you think he gonna do off of flare screens at the elbow where he only has to take 2 steps and he's at the rim or just wide open lanes with steph and klay spaced out or pick and rolls with green or steph where the pick and the roll guy can't leave either.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Nigga. Don't you see what you're typing. Now where is Durant going? :lol:.. to the greatest outside shooting team of all time
But he is not the rim attacker LeBron is, his game is closer to Kobe, a player who doen't need lanes open for him... In the case of both Kobe and Durant they need more re bounders to complement them..

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Durant needs the league in free throw attempts since he entered the league because he attacks so much. I don't know what the fuck Road Rage been watching.

no idea. and this is without the luxury of shooters.
the warriors themselves don't really LOVE the 3's as much as people believe. Steph does both but Klay just can't really drive like that so yea he's pulling up. and then if you think about it we're out there with barnes who gets all those shots and our front court didn't really shoot much or even try to.

you add durant into those lanes and areas... an athletic guy to finish some shit finally?

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
barnes took 10 shots a game last season but he could have taken at least 3. there were 3 shots a game he couldn't take because he wasn't skilled enough to do it. either a drive opportunity where he gets stripped like usual or someone rushing to close out and he passes the ball where durant will just take the jumper on a close out. those 10 shots were spoon fed shots where he didn't have to create. if he could create he probably would've jumped up to about 13 a game. and especially if he was more aggressive he would have gotten around 13 a game.
Lb you think they gonna resign rush or Barbosa?i liked Clark but i think he's gone..what about speiths or Andy?

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
I am more in line with this, at least the first part...
If I was the Warriors I would replace Barns with a guy who takes less shots but do other things like play better defense and get rebounds..
With the extra shots I would have Green take more shots (I actually think the system takes away from how great he could be) while making Curry and Thompson more aggressive...
To me having more shot on that team is more important than people taking more shots... But hey fools gold looks real good for those who don't know any better...

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
no idea. and this is without the luxury of shooters.
the warriors themselves don't really LOVE the 3's as much as people believe. Steph does both but Klay just can't really drive like that so yea he's pulling up. and then if you think about it we're out there with barnes who gets all those shots and our front court didn't really shoot much or even try to.

you add durant into those lanes and areas... an athletic guy to finish some shit finally?
That's what hurt steph in the finals..dude didn't go to lane as much..but I think he will learn from that..the team could easily average 120 per game