Sports Media: ESPN Discussion - Get Up First Take PTI Update: MASSIVE LAYOFFS 2003!! NEW ESPN brand sports betting app!

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

The primary source is better than the aggregated (aka leech aka stolen clicks) version.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@HNIC

I have NO IDEA how ESPN ever gonna the "no politics" thing EVER again....

giphy.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Keyshawn Johnson lands ESPN Radio gig with Trey Wingo, Mike Golic in limbo
By Andrew Marchand
June 25, 2020 | 12:18pm | Updated

Enlarge Image

Trey Wingo, Keyshawn Johnson, Mike GolicGetty Images (3)

MORE FROM:
ANDREW MARCHAND
'Who the f--k is Brad34?': How Mets were rocked by sports world's first internet scandal

Legendary NBA announcer Marv Albert to sit out Orlando restart

Fox Sports ending $1.2 billion US Open golf deal

Yankees-Nationals to highlight MLB opening day

Craig Carton could battle Michael Kay in complicated WFAN return scenario

Keyshawn Johnson is headed to mornings on ESPN Radio as part of a shake-up that could leave Mike Golic without a chair, The Post has learned.
ESPN and Johnson are in agreement on a contract, according to sources, that will directly impact the current morning team of Trey Wingo’s and Golic Sr.’s ESPN’s futures.
Johnson’s partner or partners are still undetermined. He’s expected to begin in mid-August, but that could be impacted by the pandemic.
ESPN declined comment.
Both Wingo and Golic have contracts that end at the conclusion of this year, according to sources. The third member of the Golic and Wingo morning team is Mike Golic Jr.
Golic Jr. is under contract past this year and is expected to remain on a revamped lineup, likely in the afternoon or evenings.
Meanwhile, Golic’s old radio partner, Mike Greenberg, is moving closer to an early afternoon slot to add to his TV duties as the host of “Get Up.”
Network executives have discussed slicing an hour off of the Dan Le Batard program that currently runs from 10-1 p.m., according to sources, and having Greenberg work 12-2 p.m., but Le Batard, who has two years remaining on his deal, may still hold onto his full three hours with Greenberg moving into a 1-3 p.m. It is undetermined.
At the end of April, The Post reported ESPN’s interest in returning Greenberg to radio where he and Golic had a very successful nearly two decade run in the mornings. The site Outkick has mentioned the Greenberg-ESPN Radio deal was getting closer earlier this week.
Hovering over all ESPN’s moves is the pandemic that has already impacted the network’s plans. ESPN and its parent company, Disney, have been affected greatly and, though there has been a hope that July would be a turning point, the renewed infection rate around the country may cause ESPN to kick more decisions further down the summer.
SEE ALSO
Some of ESPN's biggest names in middle of potential massive shakeup
With the Disney parks unopened and sports mostly on hold, the company has been tighter in its contract negotiations.
While major sports could soon come back on ESPN’s air with a vigor, there is still a worry that everything could be shut down, which is why ESPN is going as slow as possible with decisions on radio and its “Monday Night Football” booth.
The tighter pockets have limited some of ESPN’s options. ESPN has considered someone like Pat McAfee for a radio show, according to sources. However, he is under contract with Westwood One and makes money on YouTube, so talks didn’t get far.
Instead, McAfee is in discussions for an expanded deal with FanDuel, according to sources, that will leverage his betting bent. This is an industry trend, to team with a wagering platform, that Barstool has led.
Meanwhile, Johnson has hosted a show on ESPN LA, but will move east for the new national program. As for Johnson’s partner(s), that is still up in the air. Max Kellerman has been mentioned, but at this point that seems unlikely with ESPN prioritizing Kellerman’s role on “First Take.”
Besides Golic Jr., Jason Fitz — who currently hosts “First Take, Your Take” — is under contract and could be considered with Johnson or may end up in the afternoons, where Will Cain is exiting for Fox News/Fox Nation.
ESPN New York’s Peter Rosenberg and Chris Carlin are two names that have been mentioned for mornings, as well. Rosenberg would be a bit more complicated because, besides his Michael Kay duties, he is already on a morning show with Hot 97. Hot 97 owns a station option on Rosenberg’s contract for next year.
The ESPN Radio shakeup is in progress. Johnson is in, Greenberg is likely and Golic Sr. and Wingo have futures in doubt.
Quick Click: YES is hosting a charity event for the Joe Torre Foundation in which Michael Kay will lead a roundtable discussion on Sunday at 8 p.m. It will feature Torre, Bobby Valentine and David Cone among others.
Clicker Books: You miss baseball? Papa Clicker has two books for you. Mitchell Nathanson’s “Bouton: The Life of a Baseball Original” receives 4.55 rating out of 5 as it will appeal to old timer’s memories and, for younger folks, it shows Bouton’s impact on today’s culture. Meanwhile “24: Life Stories and Lessons from the Say Hey Kid” by Willie Mays and John Shea gives an inside look of Mays’ life, including his relationship with presidents, Barry Bonds Sr. and Jr. and Jackie Robinson It receives 4.3 out of 5 clickers.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
@HNIC
@fonzerrillii

I'm a Golic fan so I hope he lands on his feet. His partner Wing was a competent dude, he just didn't have any Pazazz.
I can take or leave Keyshawn.

Looks like Greeny won. Once he got rid of that dumb bitch who didn't like sports, he's had the wind at his back.

HNIC :shades:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm a Golic fan so I hope he lands on his feet. His partner Wing was a competent dude, he just didn't have any Pazazz.
I can take or leave Keyshawn.

Looks like Greeny won. Once he got rid of that dumb bitch who didn't like sports, he's had the wind at his back.

HNIC :shades:

Greeny a damn mastermind.

Happy he insisted on keeping Jalen on.

But i wonder how its gonna work out.

Remember we both thought this was a mistake breaking up mike and Mike

I wonder if mike jr can hold up?

You know him and Dominique could work?

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
Greeny a damn mastermind.

Happy he insisted on keeping Jalen on.

But i wonder how its gonna work out.

Remember we both thought this was a mistake breaking up mike and Mike

I wonder if mike jr can hold up?

You know him and Dominique could work?
Jalen needs to be a tab bit more serious. Funny aint his thing. When he was going toe to toe with Dominique and was trying to be funny and cute, Dominique ate his ass up.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jalen needs to be a tab bit more serious. Funny aint his thing. When he was going toe to toe with Dominique and was trying to be funny and cute, Dominique ate his ass up.

Yeah I've noticed

He need to stay in his lane a little more he great on his podcast

I was proud of him with that line about how white people love our culture but hate us.

But he been a little bit too i can't explain it. Maybe just trying to hard

Also i noticed a lot of lebron hate undercurrent.

He don't need that

I want Dominque and Bomani to link up.

And get rid of paul pierce.

Espn needs an all black nba panel and nfl panel.

Seriously.

And i mean now

Shout out to Rachel she welcome cause the jump is outstanding

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
Yeah I've noticed

He need to stay in his lane a little more he great on his podcast

I was proud of him with that line about how white people love our culture but hate us.

But he been a little bit too i can't explain it. Maybe just trying to hard

Also i noticed a lot of lebron hate undercurrent.

He don't need that

I want Dominque and Bomani to link up.

And get rid of paul pierce.

Espn needs an all black nba panel and nfl panel.

Seriously.

And i mean now

Shout out to Rachel she welcome cause the jump is outstanding
Jalens podcast is what made me a fan. He was real insightful and entertaining without trying to be entertaining. He's a smart dude he will figure it out. HNIC

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jalens podcast is what made me a fan. He was real insightful and entertaining without trying to be entertaining. He's a smart dude he will figure it out. HNIC

I agree his podcast used to be my go to.

And he was like fat joe with all his stories and connections.

Get Up isn't really built for that.

And i gonna give greeny credit cause this was his vision of the show apparently from day one.

I told you he wanted to be bob Costas of this thing.

And SAS lucky cause if get up had been more successful initially he wouldn't be the face of espn now.

And as you can see they trying to make greeny that soon.

Sidebar;

Bill Simmons getting crushed for his lack of diversity. I'm actually a fan but I've said that sh*t for YEARS and no one batted an eye

ESPN is full of it too

Got nba podcasts and shows etc with ALL WHITE VOICES.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
I agree his podcast used to be my go to.

And he was like fat joe with all his stories and connections.

Get Up isn't really built for that.

And i gonna give greeny credit cause this was his vision of the show apparently from day one.

I told you he wanted to be bob Costas of this thing.

And SAS lucky cause if get up had been more successful initially he wouldn't be the face of espn now.

And as you can see they trying to make greeny that soon.

Sidebar;

Bill Simmons getting crushed for his lack of diversity. I'm actually a fan but I've said that sh*t for YEARS and no one batted an eye

ESPN is full of it too

Got nba podcasts and shows etc with ALL WHITE VOICES.

its a topic here:

my thoughts:
What this issue demonstrated is that even with progressive, open-minded allies they have blind-spots

I listened to that controversial podcast. When it was all said and done it was 2 white dudes talking about current race issues. You had 2 white dudes patting themselves on the back for being progressive & diversity hiring

But if you look at their writing talent and podcasts there are very few black ppl or ppl of color (credit to them they do have alot of women for a sports site - but alot of em are in the pop culture realm)

its the same shit in the NFL & the hiring of coaches/gms. Ppl in power hire ppl they know and are comfortable with. More often than not those ppl look like them and come from similar backgrounds. Bill grew up in Boston and went to Holly Cross. All his college friends are white guys. Most of his friends are white guys outside of his black celeb friends. Most of the staff he brought with him from Grantland are white guys. Most of the writers & podcast personalities are white guys. He loves basketball, hip-hop, sports and black entertainment. He and most of his staff are supposed to be the 'good ones' but when it comes to hiring practices they go with what and who they know.

They have had a few contributors like Welsey Morris, Rembert Brown and Micah Peters but they were few and far apart
They've recently expanded their contributors with Van Lathan, Jemmele Hill, Linsday from the Bachelor, Larry Wilmore, Vince Carter & Bakari Sellers but look at who they hired. Well established ppl of color with almost impeccable resumes.

Meanwhile it seems like every editor or staff writer gets a shot at a podcast
An intern or his nephew or or his daughter or his best friend gets a chance to get on air and develop a brand. Its crazy that i dont think they've ever hired a black writer to cover the nfl or nba.

Another example on how shit is much tougher for black ppl even at a 'good place'

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
its a topic here:

my thoughts:
What this issue demonstrated is that even with progressive, open-minded allies they have blind-spots

I listened to that controversial podcast. When it was all said and done it was 2 white dudes talking about current race issues. You had 2 white dudes patting themselves on the back for being progressive & diversity hiring

But if you look at their writing talent and podcasts there are very few black ppl or ppl of color (credit to them they do have alot of women for a sports site - but alot of em are in the pop culture realm)

its the same shit in the NFL & the hiring of coaches/gms. Ppl in power hire ppl they know and are comfortable with. More often than not those ppl look like them and come from similar backgrounds. Bill grew up in Boston and went to Holly Cross. All his college friends are white guys. Most of his friends are white guys outside of his black celeb friends. Most of the staff he brought with him from Grantland are white guys. Most of the writers & podcast personalities are white guys. He loves basketball, hip-hop, sports and black entertainment. He and most of his staff are supposed to be the 'good ones' but when it comes to hiring practices they go with what and who they know.

They have had a few contributors like Welsey Morris, Rembert Brown and Micah Peters but they were few and far apart
They've recently expanded their contributors with Van Lathan, Jemmele Hill, Linsday from the Bachelor, Larry Wilmore, Vince Carter & Bakari Sellers but look at who they hired. Well established ppl of color with almost impeccable resumes.

Meanwhile it seems like every editor or staff writer gets a shot at a podcast
An intern or his nephew or or his daughter or his best friend gets a chance to get on air and develop a brand. Its crazy that i dont think they've ever hired a black writer to cover the nfl or nba.

Another example on how shit is much tougher for black ppl even at a 'good place'

^^^

all facts

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just heard Golic and Wingo are out
Damn, shit can go south in a hurry. Makes sense though.
Their show is basically a high production radio show.
People aren't listening to the radio like that anymore, especially now with no sports.
Wonder where they end up next?

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who are you talking about (re: "that dumb bitch who didn't like sports")?
Michelle Beadle. I couldn't stand that bitch either.
She basically said that black athletes condoned domestic violence and she even refused to watch football because of it.
Like how you gonna be a host on a sports show and not watch football?
But yet, her favorite wrestler is Stone Cold Steve Austin, a known wife-beater with multiple wives.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Bomani Jones just got re-upped and is the only person on that network worth listening to.

Golic at least got his kid on (his kid is terrible FWIW and IMO), but Sr. is better than the folks replacing him in the morning and this will be proven during football season.

Jay Williams; I like him but something about him gives off that SteveN A vibe; I used to like SAS too until he let his brand overtake his journalism.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Michelle Beadle. I couldn't stand that bitch either.
She basically said that black athletes condoned domestic violence and she even refused to watch football because of it.
Like how you gonna be a host on a sports show and not watch football?
But yet, her favorite wrestler is Stone Cold Steve Austin, a known wife-beater with multiple wives.

LOL, thanks.

I'm not that deep into it but I liked her on NBA Countdown.

I think it is okay to have problems with the NFL's condoning of domestic violence and I never saw anything from her skewed against black people. You may have a point about her being a hypocrite.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Damn, shit can go south in a hurry. Makes sense though.
Their show is basically a high production radio show.
People aren't listening to the radio like that anymore, especially now with no sports.
Wonder where they end up next?

I actually still listen to all that stuff as background noise

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster

Damn, I am late on this:

damn its gonna be weird not hearing Golic in the morning
I've damn near listened to them my whole adult once i got a job and had to get up early every day

i like Jay (in small doses) and sure if Keshawn really a morning show kinda guy
it sucks cause the other NY morning show is too MAGA for me