Social Media Debate: When experts have to interact with the public who THINKS it knows better (is society getting dumber?)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
this right here.... is how most of the world works...
from government to corporate to various underground societies and gangs
this one post is full of much WISDOM from you (not mere knowledge but real wisdom)

The INABILITY of modern individuals to even ask a coherent QUESTION when given the opportunity is disheartening as f*ck.

And ALL these NEW OPPORTUNITIES that social media has provided I feel are getting messed up SPECIFICALLY because of it.

People act entitled

like these talented people are OBLIGATED to respond to their posts...

and worse...

when GIVEN a RESPONSE?

They are are not only unappreciative but feel like they should have been given MORE and then try to FIX the response they ARE given.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
this one post is full of much WISDOM from you (not mere knowledge but real wisdom)

Thank you

I read that one so many times...It messed me up.

that's the thing

when I read something that you or @4 Dimensional or @largebillsonlyplease of @fonzerrillii wrote

even if it completely DESTROYS my original argument?

It fascinates me and revives me and SPARKS my mind and makes me THINK...

I can't speak for others...

but when you are given a NEW thought process that actually makes you RETHINK something significant in your life?

that is the whole damn REASON for living!

Again...

just saying an opposing viewpoint just for the sake of it?

that aint sh*t. That aint REAL debate discourse discussion

but real EXCHANGE of ideas and view points is INCREDIBLE.

HOWEVER...

like in the case of the student...

I think we ALSO need to be very sensitive to others who may not be READY to have their whole world crushed.

there is a level of responsibility here...

when its HARMLESS.

If believing in God leads YOU to being a good charitable empathetic caring person?

I got no problem on believing in whatever you want.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I ALWAYS correct them. I have a very hard time letting stupid slide.

It happens at least once every other year cause during Superbowl someone always brings up the commercials.

The best was when I was at a Superbowl party with work friends and we all started talking about which clients we hated the most. That shit was hilarious.

That used to be a pet peeve of mine.
Now not so much.
I treat everybody fairly and see what they have to say. Even if I know more than them I just listen and read and process what I can process.
The only time I'll flex is if someone questions my intelligence. That's the only thing I won't allow but if you come at me with respect then I'll respect you even if we disagree.
Nobody knows how much shit I actually know because that's not important if that makes sense.
Also in my quest to learn everyday I just can't be bothered with correcting people who want to sit in their ignorance. I can just plant seeds and move on

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That’s the beauty of BGOL, ain’t no flexing or posing on here. Niggas really not trying to get real life props. Your ideas and arguments will sink or swim on their own, not propped up by public/popular opinion. I’ve seen cats on facebook talking about protecting black women with warrants out for DV charges. Folk just say shit just for attention and likes.

I remember when the Freddie Gray shit went down in Baltimore, this was the ONLY place were I could have a reasonably intelligent discussion about the subject. You had dumbasses on facebook just making shit up and running with it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Now not so much.
I treat everybody fairly and see what they have to say. Even if I know more than them I just listen and read and process what I can process.
The only time I'll flex is if someone questions my intelligence. That's the only thing I won't allow but if you come at me with respect then I'll respect you even if we disagree.
Nobody knows how much shit I actually know because that's not important if that makes sense.
Also in my quest to learn everyday I just can't be bothered with correcting people who want to sit in their ignorance. I can just plant seeds and move on

Uh Oh the champ is here....

so wait...

you saying at times you DOWN PLAY your own intelligence?

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Now not so much.

So I’m NOT tripping.

I’ve noticed that particular change in you and how you interact with the board. But more impressed on how well balanced you are in discussing certain topics. For me, it’s clear that you have redirected your energy. It’s almost like you’ve discovered your super power. The world better watch out you, bruh.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So I’m NOT tripping.

I’ve noticed that particular change in you and how you interact with the board. But more impressed on how well balanced you are in discussing certain topics. For me, it’s clear that you have redirected your energy. It’s almost like you’ve discovered your super power. The world better watch out you, bruh.

OK good

I am NOT crazy...

this is @largebillsonlyplease 2.0

I remember Bills would take an opposing viewpoint just to test HIMSELF to see if he could do it for like 2 pages!!!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

so wait...

Not down play.

But pick your battles. Some of this can be exhausting, so you have to change. Even an idiot that is wrong just reinforces you more of what isn’t right. However you have realize there is nothing to gain from engaging certain people. So you preserve your energy.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

so wait...

Yes, it don't matter what I know or don't know if I'm trying to have a discussion about something cause we're here to get each other's point of view. There are tons of times where I just let people say shit about stuff and get out of there. Like the earth stuff the moon stuff the math stuff lol I just read the information and don't engage.

I think of Rabbit hole shit everyday without pausing. Anyone who has regular conversations with me says the same thing lol. But here it's not about that. It's about just processing what people have to say.
like i said the only time I might flex is when people call me stupid or say crazy shit to me. Then i'll slightly tap them to be like just wait a minute famalama you're swimming too deep for your skill level

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
So I’m NOT tripping.

2 things.
1, when you're right and it's right that's just what it is. So me trying to convince people I'm right and they're wrong is an exercise that's a waste of both or times. I do other shit now. I write scripts, i write books i make music I've started drawing things, a couple weeks ago and I'm getting better at it everyday. There's so much OTHER shit to learn and do and master and just grow with that convincing someone anywhere that I'm right when the facts say I am is just MY FAULT lol. I understand the urge to let the record show that you are correct but at the same time people just dont give a fuck about learning they want to be heard and I've gotten better at identifying those people from jump. It's why you'll rarely see me go past 3 posts with 1 person. If you quote me a 4th time the conversation will just be open ended lol. You'll see a ton of threads where a person quoted me on some other shit to try and move the goalpost and I just don't even have another post in the thread or I never even address them like we hadn't even been talking lol
Cause fuck that.

2. Dmx said If I ever let the words of another nigga bother me I might as well let the sperm of that other nigga father me.
I thought it was just a dope line
But it's true to life. And I live by it at this point.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
this right here.... is how most of the world works...
from government to corporate to various underground societies and gangs

Thank you

I appreciate that, bro.

Going through this learning process and personal change has really reshaped on how I see morality.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yes, it don't matter what I know or don't know if I'm trying to have a discussion about something cause we're here to get each other's point of view. There are tons of times where I just let people say shit about stuff and get out of there. Like the earth stuff the moon stuff the math stuff lol I just read the information and don't engage.

I think of Rabbit hole shit everyday without pausing. Anyone who has regular conversations with me says the same thing lol. But here it's not about that. It's about just processing what people have to say.
like i said the only time I might flex is when people call me stupid or say crazy shit to me. Then i'll slightly tap them to be like just wait a minute famalama you're swimming too deep for your skill level

So if you had time to read this thread...

what you think of this new attitude of people dismissing EXPERTS in a VARIETY of fields?

And thinking and BELIEVING they KNOW better?

As benign as movie scripts to ad campaigns but then really important things like vaccinations and the earth being flat?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
So if you had time to read this thread...

what you think of this new attitude of people dismissing EXPERTS in a VARIETY of fields?

And thinking and BELIEVING they KNOW better?

As benign as movie scripts to ad campaigns but then really important things like vaccinations and the earth being flat?

I feel like they feel they're typing on the same platform and can talk to these people so they feel they're the same as them.
You can chat with a famous person now when before you could not. You can chat with a scientist now when before you'd just see them on tv discovering a planet.
It's cool to be able to engage but also people just have an ego about themselves and it stunts their growth lol
we all should be GROWING and challenging themselves in the ways they can. You can never be bored if you're trying to improve SOMETHING

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
2 things.
1, when you're right and it's right that's just what it is. So me trying to convince people I'm right and they're wrong is an exercise that's a waste of both or times. I do other shit now. I write scripts, i write books i make music I've started drawing things, a couple weeks ago and I'm getting better at it everyday. There's so much OTHER shit to learn and do and master and just grow with that convincing someone anywhere that I'm right when the facts say I am is just MY FAULT lol. I understand the urge to let the record show that you are correct but at the same time people just dont give a fuck about learning they want to be heard and I've gotten better at identifying those people from jump. It's why you'll rarely see me go past 3 posts with 1 person. If you quote me a 4th time the conversation will just be open ended lol. You'll see a ton of threads where a person quoted me on some other shit to try and move the goalpost and I just don't even have another post in the thread or I never even address them like we hadn't even been talking lol
Cause fuck that.

2. Dmx said If I ever let the words of another nigga bother me I might as well let the sperm of that other nigga father me.
I thought it was just a dope line
But it's true to life. And I live by it at this point.

Man, I agree!

I'm on the SAME path, bruh. As long as I can exercise my mind healthy (like this thread), then I'll discuss all day.

Meaningless shit can be a huge waste.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Man, I agree!

I'm on the SAME path, bruh. As long as I can exercise my mind healthy (like this thread), then I'll discuss all day.

Meaningless shit can be a huge waste.

SUPER WASTE
there's already no enough hours in the day to begin with lol
I'm just gonna focus on doing everything I can do be where I want to be
I already submitted a few stories to monkeypaw. Gonna attempt to draw a graphic novel
gonna score the novel so it has a soundtrack
gonna just evolve and learn about new math concepts and old history
the potential is limitless

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I still do. I spread misinformation all the time just to test the waters lol
Remember that Ray-J Bruno Mars thread? That was about critical thinking
and it went exactly like I thought it would haha

But it got people ANGRY...REALLY

I think I got DMs!!!

All I said was you know if you REALLY try you can KINDA hear it...

man I thought I would get a little fun exchange like we did with Ed Shernan and Robin Thicke etc...

could it be your opinion is SO RESPECTED that is why you received such a visceral reaction?

can THAT in itself be a burden?

@4 Dimensional as teacher you mentioned earlier that you used to tak CERTAIN people words as gospel...

and then found out they were not credible.

Can something like THAT be what is causing these backlash against experts??

Perhaps those who WERE considered knowledgeable or trustworthy have let their audience down so often we now have a LARGE group of people who just don't TRUST the establishment?

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Now not so much.
brucelee1.jpg

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
But it got people ANGRY...REALLY

I think I got DMs!!!

All I said was you know if you REALLY try you can KINDA hear it...

man I thought I would get a little fun exchange like we did with Ed Shernan and Robin Thicke etc...

could it be your opinion is SO RESPECTED that is why you received such a visceral reaction?

Combination but also I think they just weren't trying to read what was said lol
it became about everything that wasn't instead of what was.
The songs sound like they'd be on a Ray-J album
that turned into he can't sing like him which i never said that ray j is this or that he doesn't sound like him which i never said he did
everything but the fact of the matter which was rooted in the "FEELING" of the music
to which they got in their "FEELINGS and didn't even consider it or try to comprehend it

hilarious to read the reactions
and you looked at it didn't judge it then agreed. Even if you hadn't agreed you'd say why... when it comes to the MUSICAL FEEL
also i think a lot of cats think they understand music and they really fucking don't

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Morals are for stories at this point.

You got that right.

Whoa..MORALITY?

can you expand on that some more, you said something similar before.

Morals set standards (boundaries). Right/Wrong or Good/Bad.

We use them to exist in society. But then I started thinking about the world. Our history. What it meant to be a moral person and I realized it doesn't exist the way I thought it did.

Slavery use to be RIGHT in the eyes of a society. Stealing is WRONG in the eyes of many, but what is a person is hungry? KILLING is wrong in the eyes or many, but what about protecting your family?

There are a lot of things we think are wrong, but we haven't been put in situations that causes us to cross that line.

Humans have placed so much meaning on morality and we don't see how we treat other that contradicts these set standards we hold on to.

Morals are our SAFE boundaries. They help us define who we are and how we will exist in a given society. But what if your child was killed or our society was war stricken? How does your morals change? Think of that movie TRADING PLACES and how Dan Akroyd's morals completely changed. Look at how we can justify what we thought was morally wrong because something changed us.

Just think about the things you think are right or wrong. And noticed how some of those things will contradict with others. But are your moral gospel or just your morals? Between your natural environment, cultural upbringing, ans personal experiences, your moral were shaped because you grew a particular way.

Our morals are non-linear. They will change given an experience. And because people are different, so will their morals. We can SHARE common morals, but much of that is connected with our natural environment (society) we live in.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Combination but also I think they just weren't trying to read what was said lol
it became about everything that wasn't instead of what was.
The songs sound like they'd be on a Ray-J album
that turned into he can't sing like him which i never said that ray j is this or that he doesn't sound like him which i never said he did
everything but the fact of the matter which was rooted in the "FEELING" of the music
to which they got in their "FEELINGS and didn't even consider it or try to comprehend it

hilarious to read the reactions
and you looked at it didn't judge it then agreed. Even if you hadn't agreed you'd say why... when it comes to the MUSICAL FEEL
also i think a lot of cats think they understand music and they really fucking don't

There was a time I was seriously against the over intellectualization of hip hop

I really thought it was white folk way of ingratiating themselves into the culture

and I thought SEEKING it

was just another way of Black people needing to feel legitimized in some way by a white audience.

IT wasn't because I did NOT see the GENIUS in some of these words and rhythms...

but now?

Its TOO MUCH the other way..

he King of R&B stuff proved that...I don't know if people are WILLFULLY ignorant

or unwilling to learn

or just dumb.

You can not like the Beatles...fine

but to completely DISMISS them as wack or overrated is patently absurd.

But would garner so much social media attention that I'm surprised no one has said it yet.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You got that right.

Morals set standards (boundaries). Right/Wrong or Good/Bad.

We use them to exist in society. But then I started thinking about the world. Our history. What it meant to be a moral person and I realized it doesn't exist the way I thought it did.

Slavery use to be RIGHT in the eyes of a society. Stealing is WRONG in the eyes of many, but what is a person is hungry? KILLING is wrong in the eyes or many, but what about protecting your family?

There are a lot of things we think are wrong, but we haven't been put in situations that causes us to cross that line.

Humans have placed so much meaning on morality and we don't see how we treat other that contradicts these set standards we hold on to.

Morals are our SAFE boundaries. They help us define who we are and how we will exist in a given society. But what if your child was killed or our society was war stricken? How does your morals change? Think of that movie TRADING PLACES and how Dan Akroyd's morals completely changed. Look at how we can justify what we thought was morally wrong because something changed us.

Just think about the things you think are right or wrong. And noticed how some of those things will contradict with others. But are your moral gospel or just your morals? Between your natural environment, cultural upbringing, ans personal experiences, your moral were shaped because you grew a particular way.

Our morals are non-linear. They will change given an experience. And because people are different, so will their morals. We can SHARE common morals, but much of that is connected with our natural environment (society) we live in.

damn...

Look no further then the young white teacher who has sex with the underage student

the levels of excuses people will exercise based SOLELY on GENDER is mind boggling...

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
@4 Dimensional as teacher you mentioned earlier that you used to tak CERTAIN people words as gospel...

and then found out they were not credible.

Can something like THAT be what is causing these backlash against experts??

Perhaps those who WERE considered knowledgeable or trustworthy have let their audience down so often we now have a LARGE group of people who just don't TRUST the establishment?

Hard to say, honestly.

I'm not gonna say they wasn't credible. They just wasn't as credible as I thought they were. But if I challenged them, then I had to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

I don't mind a person questioning me or challenging my meteorological knowledge. We get to see who know more and how in-depth their understanding is.

I would NEVER challenge Neil Tyson, but he can't bullshit me either.

I would NEVER challenge Kobe's knowledge of the game, but he can't bullshit me either.

I would NEVER challenge Obama knowledge as a president. All I could do is ask questions.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
damn...

Look no further then the young white teacher who has sex with the underage student

the levels of excuses people will exercise based SOLELY on GENDER is mind boggling...

Exactly. With morals, people will move the goal post and even worse, completely ignore the hypocrisy and JUSTIFY it.

That's why I have a hard time in those threads because I know it's hypocrisy.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Exactly. With morals, people will move the goal post and even worse, completely ignore the hypocrisy and JUSTIFY it.

That's why I have a hard time in those threads because I know it's hypocrisy.

but its (a phrase I think you may have invented) EMOTIONAL hypocrisy.

Its like I have NOTHING against gay people...but keep that faggot shit away from me.

That kid wasn't raped I WISH some thick ass blonde white girl MOLESTED me when I was in grade school

I feel like the emotional has completely OVERTAKEN the rational...

I wrote a tweet it got a bad response...I will KILL myself

not just delete it or apologize

I Will KILL myself.

I think MANY white folk justify Trump the same way...he was just KIDDING, I just wanted lower taxes...

he wasn't SERIOUS

Its like if it FEELS good it must be right.

and we have ALSO entered the realm where if and WHEN you correct someone?

You have to be so careful...cause somehow in THIS climate

correcting someone can be seen as BULLYING!

everything (facts be damned) is based on how that person FEELS at the PARTICULAR moment and time.

How can a THINKER like yourself deal with that?!?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
There was a time I was seriously against the over intellectualization of hip hop

I really thought it was white folk way of ingratiating themselves into the culture

and I thought SEEKING it

was just another way of Black people needing to feel legitimized in some way by a white audience.

IT wasn't because I did NOT see the GENIUS in some of these words and rhythms...

but now?

Its TOO MUCH the other way..

he King of R&B stuff proved that...I don't know if people are WILLFULLY ignorant

or unwilling to learn

or just dumb.

You can not like the Beatles...fine

but to completely DISMISS them as wack or overrated is patently absurd.

But would garner so much social media attention that I'm surprised no one has said it yet.

in learning songs and such the beatles were really catchy and not complex.
but you dont need to be technically complex if the music feels good

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
in learning songs and such the beatles were really catchy and not complex.
but you dont need to be technically complex if the music feels good

but I think the AVERAGE person fails to FULLY appreciate JUST HOW HARD it is to make a a simple CATCHY record.

that the biggest most long standing records...classics

are VERY basic classic records.

they are just done MASTERFULLY

the current audience REALLY takes it for granted.

Melody and rhythm are the KEYS to a hit...

and I think THAT is where the FEELING lies.

I thought think like frooty loops would INCREASE the public appreciation for production.

Instead it seems it has actually LOWERED it.

Question...

Its been reported for years now that our attention spans AND attention to detail is plummeting.

Do you think that also is effecting our tastes and opinions overall?

When you write or produce do you take that into consideration.

Can a song be LONGER than 3:30 minutes anymore?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
but I think the AVERAGE person fails to FULLY appreciate JUST HOW HARD it is to make a a simple CATCHY record.

that the biggest most long standing records...classics

are VERY basic classic records.

they are just done MASTERFULLY

the current audience REALLY takes it for granted.

Melody and rhythm are the KEYS to a hit...

and I think THAT is where the FEELING lies.

I thought think like frooty loops would INCREASE the public appreciation for production.

Instead it seems it has actually LOWERED it.

Question...

Its been reported for years now that our attention spans AND attention to detail is plummeting.

Do you think that also is effecting our tastes and opinions overall?

When you write or produce do you take that into consideration.

Can a song be LONGER than 3:30 minutes anymore?

Overall yea it effect things but not for the reason you may think

i think things are maybe "dumber" in a sense just because people creating are being lazy.
cause then when someone takes the time to make the layered things that can be appreciated, they are.
its on the creators to push the envelope. right now too many are happy to just keep the seal on it.

case in point

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
And that makes it difficult to know if a person is trolling or just a dumb ass.
6 of one...

I ALWAYS correct them. I have a very hard time letting stupid slide.
me too. I'm working on that though.

Yo that's fucking hilarious. Dope line indeed.

I love discourse, I love learning, I love sharing knowledge and to the extent that I do, I love teaching.

I also love talking bad to hubris heavy imbeciles. Idk if that's even bad lol but it does waste time sometimes, this is true.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
6 of one...

me too. I'm working on that though.

Yo that's fucking hilarious. Dope line indeed.

I love discourse, I love learning, I love sharing knowledge and to the extent that I do, I love teaching.

I also love talking bad to hubris heavy imbeciles. Idk if that's even bad lol but it does waste time sometimes, this is true.

I don't knock it. It just stopped being as fulfilling as it once was.
Got way more joy out of improving me than ridiculing them.
I still do it from time to time I just do it in a way they don't even know they're being dissed and that's oddly even more satisfying