Soccer After The World Cup

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Football After The World Cup

Since the World Cup is about 50 % over. DJ Candle and I decided for those who are new to the game and are interested can get prepared for the upcoming 2010 League Campaign. For those who don't realize in the League Season it's pretty much ran like the NBA..off-season transfers (buys/signings) and (Player loans) or aka the Transfer Window...teams have a certain period to seek the player they desire.Each Season has about 50 - 40 games

Leagues range from England to Japan and consist of various teams and players..i.e. Ronaldo who plays for Portugal's World cup team his club team is Real Madrid of the La Liga...aka.. the Spanish Premier League.

Links below are awesome spots to find various games throughout the season online.

www.myp2p.eu
www.atdhe.net
www.justin.tv
www.veetle.com

• Here is some insight on a few of the popular leagues

1. England: Premiership. The Premiership's popularity shows no sign of slowing down – television viewing figures around the globe are massive and foreign investors are falling over themselves to get a piece of the financial action. Only the tough-minded survive in a league that is played at a ferocious pace and is packed with passion. Many big names have had their reputations dented in the most pressurized competition in the game.

"Many of the best players on the planet are clamoring to come to the Premiership – it really is the place to be. There is still unpredictability, as shown by Burnley's victory over Man U, and the pace of the game always makes for entertaining matches."

– Steven Baker, news editor, Sky Sports News

League Page: www.premierleague.com

2. Spain: La Liga. The fact that the Galacticos of Real Madrid went three years without winning the title says plenty about this entertaining and super-competitive product. It's the most stylish and enjoyable league in the world, packed with home-grown talent, South American class and a healthy sprinkling of international superstars.

"The technical ability of the players is superb in La Liga and it really is the most beautiful football to watch. There is always the Big Two of Real and Barca, but unlike the Premiership, you have several other teams who have broken through into the top four in recent years."

– Guillem Balague, journalist and broadcaster, "Revista de la Liga"

League Page: http://www.lfp.es/Default.aspx?tabid=96&opc=2

3. Germany: Bundesliga. Full of technical efficiency, the Bundesliga is still good viewing, but it does not enjoy huge popularity outside of Germany. Many of the league's top stars, such as Michael Ballack, have sought big contracts elsewhere, but some classy imports like French star Franck Ribery, Italian striker Luca Toni and a steady stream of home-grown talent has kept standards high.

"The level of skills in the Bundesliga is as strong as the big leagues, but the TV money they receive is much lower. German players work on technique from a very young age and have a lot of ability, but apart from Bayern Munich it is hard for the clubs to compete with the big European teams.

– Oliver Richardt, soccer writer, Bild

League Page:http://www.bundesliga.de/en/

4. Italy: Serie A. It used to be king of the castle, but too much focus on defense caused Serie A to slip behind the Spanish and English leagues in popularity. Also, the Italian game was rocked by a recent match-fixing scandal. Still, the color and passion of the fans still make big games a fascinating spectacle.

"In Italy, football is more like a religion than a game. The players realize how important it is to people's lives and treat their profession accordingly."

– Gianluca Vialli, former striker for Sampdoria, Juventus and Italy

League Page: http://www.lega-calcio.it/it.page

5. France: Ligue 1. Greater strength in depth is needed if the French league is to rival the big four. Lyon has dominated for seven years until recenlty and is miles ahead of the field. A lucrative television deal has injected more cash in recent seasons, allowing an influx of imports, but the smaller clubs still struggle. Ligue 1 is a favorite destination for "high-quality African players".

"The best clubs, especially Lyon, are as good as most in Europe, but there is a big drop in quality in the lower half."

– Eric Durand, French soccer writer

League Page: http://www.ligue1.com/indexSite.asp

Last edited:

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
  • A Few Up and Coming Leagues

FIVE LEAGUES FOR THE FUTURE

1. United States: Major League Soccer. It will certainly take time, but if MLS goes about things the right way, the potential growth for its product is massive. Being based in the world's biggest consumer market is not always a blessing – it leads to greater competition for one thing – but if that market can be cracked, then the possibilities are endless. Critics and cynics point to the failure of the NASL three decades ago, yet those comparisons are unrealistic.

There are several reasons why MLS can achieve big-time success over the next decade or so. Here are a few:

• Effort – MLS can get better because it wants to. It sounds simple, but many leagues around the world are happy with their product and are not looking to take steps to improve. MLS will make mistakes, but by showing initiative and striving to become bigger, the league is getting an international reputation as something that is moving in the right direction.

• Immigrant population – Millions of soccer-mad Latin Americans, Europeans, Africans and Asians continue to flock to this country. If the standard of soccer gets good enough, they will flock to games in droves.

• Lifestyle – The U.S. is seen as an attractive and cheap destination by many leading players. At present, superstar players like David Beckham are only likely to come to America at the end of their careers, but solid and dependable players from the level just below could have their heads turned earlier and increase the general levels of the league.

"I don't know whether it's ignorance or snobbery or whether it's that the people saying these things have never played the game or watched it being played here, but the standard is nowhere near as low as people have been saying it is. For a start, you have to be incredibly fit and physically strong to play here: America's a country, after all, that produces some of the best athletes in the world."

– David Beckham, Los Angeles Galaxy

League: www.mlsnet.com

2. Japan: J-League. The 2002 World Cup sparked massive interest in soccer in Japan, and the J-League continues to get stronger. Crowd support is solid, the standard of play is improving and the fact that most leading Japanese players opt to stay home points to further progress.

"Soccer is getting up there with baseball now in terms of popularity, and the quality has improved dramatically. In the past, players past their best were coming to Japan for a final payday, but rarely so now."

– Yohei Kasuga, Nikkan Sports

League: http://www.j-league.or.jp/eng/

3. Australia: A-League. Fifteen years ago, soccer was sneered by fans of the national game, Aussie Rules Football, and it was regarded as a sport for foreigners or weaklings. Sound familiar? Well, it hasn't taken that long for things to change, and the popularity of the two-year-old A-League has been startling. An attractive lifestyle and good salaries will help the league continue to attract overseas talent and many Aussies based in Europe are now returning home to play a role in the A-League's growth.

"The A-League is the best thing to have happened to Australian soccer. It is a well structured and thoroughly professional operation which is smart enough to progress at a manageable rate. When players of the caliber of Brazil's Juninho come on board, everybody realizes that this is for real. Within 10 years you can expect the comp to be up to 12 teams, including maybe three from Asia, and 30,000-plus gates as the norm."

– Pat McLeod, chief sports writer, Gold Coast Bulletin

League Page: http://www.a-league.com.au/

4. Mexico: Primera Division. This league has one of the highest budgets (funded mainly by wealthy businessmen with egos to match their bank balances) of any outside Europe and is starting to gain attention internationally for all the right reasons. Its future growth may be tied to Mexico's economy, but current signs are good. Clubs like Pachuca feel confident of holding their own, even against some of Europe's finest teams.

"The Mexican league is gaining respect in other countries and the levels are good. The playoffs are exciting and the best thing is that there are many clubs who are all desperately fighting to prove they are the best."

– Javier Cruz, Mexican soccer journalist

League Page: http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/secciones.aspx?s=913

5. Russia: Premier League. If money talks loudest, then Russian soccer is screaming its head off. A soccer club is the plaything of choice for the new wave of billionaires who got rich after the fall of communism. Their fat wallets have paid for state-of-the-art stadiums, high-quality coaches and players and a bright future for the Russian league.

"Many Russian players now choose to stay at home instead of going elsewhere in Europe because there are good salaries available here. The standard is improving and Russia can be a powerhouse again, although it will take some time."

– Rinat Dassaev, former Soviet Union goalkeeper and Russian football expert

League Page: http://www.rfpl.org/

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
World's Richest Football Clubs

1) Real Madrid: 401.4m euros
2) Barcelona: 365.9m euros
3) Man Utd: 327m euros
4) Bayern Munich: 289.5m euros
5) Arsenal: 263m euros
6) Chelsea: 242.3m euros
7) Liverpool: 217m euros
8) Juventus: 202.3m euros
9) Inter Milan 196.5m euros
10) AC Milan: 196.5.m euros

Atop the Football Heap
001_introslide.jpg

Soccer, Football, or Fútbol. Whatever you call it, the world's most popular sport draws billions of fanatical followers each week to domestic, continental, and global competitions. Despite the economic downturn, the world's elite clubs--all located in Europe--are still hauling in megamoney from a combination of game day ticket sales, lucrative commercial agreements, and multibillion dollar broadcasting deals. According to consultancy Deloitte, the combined revenue of the top 20 elite clubs was €4.9 billion ($5.0 billion) for the 2007-2008 season, a 6% annual increase and three times the amount reported just a decade ago. More after the Jump: http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/02/0217_richest_football_clubs/index.htm

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
barclays-premier-league-logo.jpg

The Newbie’s Guide to Soccer: Becoming a Supporter (based on 2009 data..i did a little editing to the best of my ability)

Link

Now that we’ve covered the basics, you’re going to need a team to support right? Don’t just jump right and pick the first team you see, watch a couple of matches before you pick a team. I’d also suggest taking an in depth look at the team you’re thinking of picking, learn a little about their history, current players, and anything else you might find. After all you’re in a perfect situation for possibly the first time in your life, you’re picking a team without geographical concerns or the influence of a friend or family member on your choice. So don’t just jump in and pick the first team you find, take some time and explore.

You’re also going to need to have access to the team you support, because what good is being a fan of Cambridge United if you have no access to watching them? Sure its fun to pay attention to a team and see that they win, but we don’t just talk about sports all day just to look at standings on the Internet at night.

Who to Support

We’re going to take a look at each of the main leagues available for consumption in the states in this section, with some notes on some of the teams. If you’d really like info on teams not listed, I’d be more than happy to provide it.

The EPL clubs you’re probably most familiar with are Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, and for good reason, they’re the four biggest teams in the league. Which is exactly why I’d advise against picking one of them. We all know that guy, the guy who you see one week in one teams gear and then next week he’s got a shiny new Patriots hat on. That’s just about what you’d be if you picked one of those teams. I don’t really have room to talk, as I’m an Arsenal fan and I settled upon Arsenal right around the time they were runners up in the Champions League. Had I allowed myself the chance to look more in depth, I might have picked a different team.

Now I’m not a fool, I know a lot of people are going to be attracted to the big four, they win, they have a good number of quality players, and they play the game at its highest levels. However, if you’re going to chose one of them, do so much extensive research you can tell somebody everything about your new club. Nothing is worse than being at the pub and hearing something along the lines of “DIRK KUYT IS THE BEST LIVERPOOL STRIKER EVER”, and if you do, expect an older gentleman with a shirt that says Hunt on the back to give you a dirty look.

At the same time you don’t really want to pick a team near the bottom of the table. What fun is it if your team winds up in the second division after your first season of following them? You’re going to loose interest in them and pick a new team probably, so pick wisely.

Teams are listed in order of finish last season, bottom three teams were promoted from the Championship, are still in order of finish from last season. Team name links to Avoiding The Drop’s team previews (hey I’ve gotta support our hard work).

1. Manchester United Won the overall League and Carling Cup, and lost in the
  2. Champions League final last season. Lost some key players this summer though. I’d compare them to the Lakers, they have the best manager in the game, had the best player that everyone loved to hate last season, and they’re never not going to be a force in the game.
  3. Liverpool Haven’t won the league in some time, but always a force in the Champions League, similar to the pre 2003 Red Sox.
  4. Chelsea Only recently became a force in 2003 when owner Roman Abramovich purchased the club, prior to that hadn’t really done too much. Not really a comparable American team, they’re that guy that had a rich uncle that died and he upgraded from a 1989 civic to a 2009 BMW.
  5. Arsenal Traditional powerhouse in England, were a powerhouse in the early ’00s but haven’t won a trophy since 2005 and have replaced their former stars with youngsters. They’re like the Florida Marlins a couple of years after a title if the Marlins had existed for longer than 15 years.
  6. Everton Rivals to Liverpool, American GK Tim Howard plays for them. Plays the second fiddle well like the Chicago White Sox.
  7. Aston Villa Had an incredible start last season but fell flat at the end, full of young talent.
  8. Fulham Often called Fulhamerica for their penchant for American players, Clint Dempsey currently plays for them.
  9. Tottenham Hotspur Rivals to Arsenal, always have high hopes at the start of the season, and always seem to fall short, like the Cubs.
  10. West Ham Barely escaped relegation a couple of years ago, but got a new manager and they played real well last year.
  11. Manchester City If you’re going to cross one team off your list first, this is the one. Second fiddle to Manchester United forever but just a year ago purchased by Billionaire oil sheiks and now they’re playing fantasy football. Don’t be that guy, you’d be jumping into a potentially massive bandwagon at the start. Just no.
  12. Wigan Had some success last season, but sold off and got rid of most of their good players, they play in a rugby town. They are the Pirates in every way.
  13. Stoke City Gritty, kick you in the shins type of team, but they do what it takes to get a result, similar to the San Antonio Spurs.
  14. Bolton They’re like a more experienced version of Stoke, but their prospects for the future aren’t as good.

15. Blackburn Another team that’ll kick you in the shins and make life rough, get unexpected results occasionally.
  16. Sunderland Not a whole lot to get excited about here, unless your best friend is a Newcastle fan, then you can make fun of him. PASS because I don’t know any Newcastle fans.
  17. Wolverhampton Scored a lot of goals in the Championship last season, won’t score as many this season, but could be good.
  18. Birmingham Keep jumping back and forth from the EPL to the Championship like a crazy girlfriend.
  19. Newly Promoted Teams: Blackpool, Newcastle, West Brom

Obviously this is not a definitive guide to every team, but simply a glimpse into each of the teams current prospects. If one interests you, do some research.

JulioJesus

wannabe star
Registered
Excellent post. Every world cup I get more interested in soccer and I'm gonna follow shit afterwards this time around. Thanks.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
I watched Real Sport's segment on racism in European soccer...

How can any black man even go to a game over there??...with them throwing bananas at black players,making monkey chants everytime a black player touches the ball...and a bunch of neo-Nazis in the stands.

Oracle21

Star
Registered
going to go to the USA vs Brazil friendly at the new giants (meadowlands) stadium in august. cant wait to support team usa!

Notorious P.I.M.P.

Rising Star
Platinum Member

How can any black man even go to a game over there??...with them throwing bananas at black players,making monkey chants everytime a black player touches the ball...and a bunch of neo-Nazis in the stands.

^^^^^^^^^^
this

rzarector3

Potential Star
Registered

THAT SHIT IS VERY FUCKING RARE.. it happened in spain and italy in the last few years.. :smh: but that dont mean everyone in those countries are racist.

Ive been to Arsenal's Emirates stadium 4 times. Each time it was evenly balenced with race, I would say 60% european, not just british. then the rest are either black or asian.

SUPPRT ARSENAL. and watch Barcelona and a few Champions League games. ;)

Tuco

Rising Star
Registered
great thread! i went to England in May; that was the first time I really sat down and watched football n tried to learn the game (got to see when Chelsea got the "double"). ive since been keepin up with the World Cup and am lookin to continue watching football. My brother's an Arsenal fan; but i wanna watch more n see who i like. i like Gyan who's playin on Ghana...gotta see who he plays for.

bigvince06

Support BGOL
Registered
THAT SHIT IS VERY FUCKING RARE.. it happened in spain and italy in the last few years.. :smh: but that dont mean everyone in those countries are racist.

Ive been to Arsenal's Emirates stadium 4 times. Each time it was evenly balenced with race, I would say 60% european, not just british. then the rest are either black or asian.

SUPPRT ARSENAL. and watch Barcelona and a few Champions League games. ;)

Cosign this 100%. I've been to the emirates in London but mainly I go to Stamford Bridge in SW london. If anything, you are going to encounter anti semitism (especially in and around stamford bridge and the emirates) If you were to go watch a match in Scotland, you would encounter religious hostility (protestant v catholics) as well as anti irish sentiments if anything. While it is true that Italy and Spain have had race issues, keep in mind that they (especially Italy) have had serious crowd control problems generally. "Ultras" (basically super fans who breathe/eat/sleep their club and its politics) from Rome and other parts of Italy have been known to cause trouble for visiting fans regardless of their origin (google roma ultras and manchester united or arsenal).

Rangers Fans (British protestants) singing "the famine is over why don't you go home" directed at Celtic supporters (Irish Catholics)

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
North American football packages offered throughout the country.

Watch Football Every week!

Cable/Satellite TV:
If you are hoping to watch soccer on TV without paying those hefty cable bills, you are sadly mistaken. You can always sign up for a regular Cable TV package for $40-50 a month and watch Soccer on ESPN. The coverage includes a few UEFA champions league matches and MLS soccer.

Sports Package:

Cable and Satellite companies allow you to gain access to more sports channel for a premium. You could expect to pay anything between $10-$30 more a month to gain access to channels such as FSN and Goal TV. These channels bring you the English Premier League and La Liga coverage.

PPV:
A few soccer matches are provided to you on PPV. This is by no means the best way to watch soccer, but if you can afford it, you can catch a few important soccer games on PPV.

Online Subscriptions:
websites such as UEFA.com allow you to buy coverage for UEFA Champions League for a day, a month, or a full season. This could cost you as much as $8 a day.

Internet TV packages:
perhaps the best way to watch soccer in U.S. is by buying a Satellite for PC package. These packages cost between $20-$100 (one time fee), but they give you access to International channels, including EuroSports.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/soccer

Unprecedented international soccer coverage.

Want international soccer? Look no further — DIRECTV has more of it than anyone. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, La Liga — catch up to 28 European soccer matches a week, only on DIRECTV. You can even watch multiple matches at once on one screen with DIRECTV's exclusive Soccer Mix Channel (ch. 480)*. If you're a soccer fan, you need DIRECTV.

Screenshot2010-06-28at95455AM.png

UEFA Champions League
Tune in to channels 480-488
DIRECTV offers the most live matches from the UEFA Champions League — the most prestigious club trophy in European soccer. Catch over 5 live matches every tournament day — only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. The remaining matches require purchase of SPORTS PACK and Fox Soccer Plus.

Screenshot2010-06-28at95528AM.png

UEFA Europa League
Tune in to channels 480–489
Catch 153 live UEFA Europa League matches, up to 16 games every tournament day — only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. The remaining matches are available with the SPORTS PACK subscription. Tune in at 1pm ET and 3:05 pm ET on Thursdays.

Screenshot2010-06-28at95545AM.png

La Liga
Tune in to channels 456-459
See at least 3 matches a round from the top soccer league in Spain — that's a total of 114 live games, only on DIRECTV, at no extra charge. Tune in Saturdays and Sundays on select dates from August 2009 to May 2010. Catch the remaining matches on GolTV (available with SPORTS PACK subscription), ESPN Deportes (available with any MÁS package), ESPN and ESPN2.

Soccer Mix Channel, only on DIRECTV

Don't miss a moment of the best soccer action on TV. Tune in to our exclusive Soccer Mix Channel (ch. 461)* and enjoy multiple matches at the same time, live on your TV. Select any game to see it full-screen.
Screenshot2010-06-28at95841AM.png

DISH NETWORK

http://www.afreedish.com/dish-network-soccer-packages.html

Screenshot2010-06-28at100220AM.png

COX CABLE

Screenshot2010-06-28at100220AM.png

VERIZON FIOS, AND TIME WARNER ALSO OFFER THESE FOOTBALL PACKAGES THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. CALL YOUR LOCAL PROVIDER AND ASK FOR THESE CHANNELS.

UNIVISION, GALAVISION, TELEMUNDO, AND TELEFUTURA, ARE THE SPANISH SPEAKING STATIONS THAT CONSTANTLY PLAY FOOTBALLING FREINDLIES, INTERNATIONAL MATCHES AND CONCACAF CLUB FOOTBALL, I.E. MEXICAN PRIMERA, MLS, ETC.

UltimateLurker

Star
OG Investor
Man U all day :dance: :dance:

fuck chelsea/ fuck arsenal

@duvalnigga :smh: football is not for you fam, no tv time outs(hardest sports to play, stick to bball, anybody can play that)

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
World Football's Major Organizations and Zones

FIFA, UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, CAF and AFC.

FIFA: Very little gets done in world soccer without the involvement of the all powerful force that is FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association).

Founded in 1904 and based in Zurich, Switzerland, FIFA is the world governing body that makes sure that clubs and countries operate within the rules of the game. Led by the enigmatic figure that is Sepp Blatter, FIFA's goal according to its executives is to usher in the constant improvement of the world's greatest game and to make sure that its survival and growth is never-ending. Though FIFA may have its detractors, no one can question the fact that the organization is the one that pulls the strings in world soccer. FIFA is the organization which puts together and runs the world cup every four years. As you may know, the world cup is the most popular sporting event in the world.

UEFA: of all the continental federations UEFA is recognized as the biggest and perhaps most effective. Comprised of 53 nations, UEFA is well known throughout the world as the organizer of three of the biggest competitions around. UEFA Champions League is beloved by soccer fans from Europe to the remotest corner of the world. The competition provides a stage for the world's biggest clubs such as Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid to compete each season to be recognized as Europe's best club. And for clubs without the prestige of a side like Liverpool, UEFA holds the UEFA Cup which recognizes some clubs that are not quite at the level of the bigger clubs. UEFA also holds the UEFA cup every four years. The competition pits the best European countries against each other to find the very best of the moment. UEFA is led by French legend Michel Platini.

CONMEBOL: also known as CSF (Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol) CONMEBOL is in charge of the countries in South America. The organization runs the Copa Sudamericana and the very popular Copa Libertadores, South America's version of the Champions League. It has produced some of the best soccer players in history. Its two main sons are Brazil's Pele and Argentina's Maradona. But Argentina and Brazil are not the only two countries in South America that produce good players on the regular. World Cup winners Uruguay have produced Enzo Francescoli, who inspired a young Zinedine Zidane to greatness. CSF is also the only continent to have won the world cup outside of it's own. European countries have never won the World Cup outside of European soil, while CSF countries have won the much admired cup on every continent the competition has ever been played on. Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay have won the world cup at least twice each. The organization is led by Nicolas Leoz.

CAF: (Confederation of African Football) Led by Hayatou Issa and based in Egypt, CAF is the organizing body of the one of the world's largest continents. CAF represents all the African countries in world soccer and is comprised of some of the world's most interesting teams. From the erratic Nigerians to the ever improving Ghanaian national team, CAF has slowly ushered in a growing number of national teams that are competing at the highest level. Set to hold the world cup for the very first time in South Africa, CAF's profile is growing and the organization is proving to be well equipped to handle the task. The organization is in charged of the African Nations Cup, one of the least advertised competitions in the world, but one that provides ample entertainment and character through the mix of cultures and stylized play by its members. It is also in charge of the African Champions League which provides a format for lesser known clubs among the African Diaspora to showcase their abilities and make a name for themselves in terms of the global game. Some of world's soccer's best players have emerged from the African continent, such as George Weah and pretty much anyone who has ever played for the French national team. Many may not know, but the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Patrick Viera are descendents of African Immigrants.

CONCACAF: (The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football) CONCACAF is one of the youngest organizing bodies in the world. CONCACAF is comprised of 40 nations which include the always improving United States and the well known Mexican side. CONCACAF is one of the weakest in the 6 continental organizations, because most of the teams aren't as developed as far as soccer is concerned. Mexico, The United States, and Canada are the three that usually fight for spots in the World Cup. But though they may be smaller, Costa Rica, have been making a lot of noise lately. The small country, along with the likes of Trinidad and Tobago have made appearances in the World Cup and are always pushing the U.S. and Mexico for recognition in this part of the world. CONCACAF has made recent changes to their approach to the game and have developed competitions such as, the Gold Cup, The Champions League, The Champions Cup, and other smaller competitions to allow their club teams to compete and improve on a larger scale.

AFC: (Asian Football Confederation) led by Qatari Mohamed Bin Hammam, the AFC represent all the Asian countries and as of late, Australia. The organization is also one of the 6 that are constantly improving and growing. If you have never seen it, the AFC Champions League is one of the most exciting competitions to watch. With Japanese giants like Gamba Osaka and clubs like Al Ahly playing, the competition is getting to the point where it can rival UEFA's Champions League is viewership and money. The AFC may not have the influence that UEFA has on world soccer, but it is growing a good niche for itself.

www.fifa.com

www.uefa.com

http://www.conmebol.com/conmebol/indexConmebol.html?lan=en

www.concacaf.com

www.cafonline.com

www.the-afc.com

rzarector3

Potential Star
Registered
shit....i might go...u have a confirmed date....?

That game is gonna be live, I went to Brazil Ireland game at the Emirates in March. The Women :yes: theres a brazilian commuity around north london anyway but i asked and a few came all the way from sao paulo et al. BUT, 95% of the women it seemed like they were already with a guy.. I kept lookin around and aproaching some at half time and when the game was over, but their men kept turning up and i just walked away like :happymad:

bigvince06

Support BGOL
Registered
That game is gonna be live, I went to Brazil Ireland game at the Emirates in March. The Women :yes: theres a brazilian commuity around north london anyway but i asked and a few came all the way from sao paulo et al. BUT, 95% of the women it seemed like they were already with a guy.. I kept lookin around and aproaching some at half time and when the game was over, but their men kept turning up and i just walked away like :happymad:

Crazy. I had tickets for this but ended up getting caught up with work and couldn't go. Brazil plays friendlies often in London. I did end up going to the England Egypt friendly at Wembley but the selection of women was seriously lacking...haha (good thing cause the wife was in tow) There is a place in shoreditch called bar kick/cafe kick that is packed with brazilians whenever they play. I discovered it during the confederations cup.

rzarector3

Potential Star
Registered
Crazy. I had tickets for this but ended up getting caught up with work and couldn't go. Brazil plays friendlies often in London. I did end up going to the England Egypt friendly at Wembley but the selection of women was seriously lacking...haha (good thing cause the wife was in tow) There is a place in shoreditch called bar kick/cafe kick that is packed with brazilians whenever they play. I discovered it during the confederations cup.

cool i didnt know that, i know theres alot in finsbury park/islington. ive known at least half a dozen girls that are all from sao paulo living there

Gye78

International
International Member
Great Thread, maybe it should get moved to Sports section and made a sticky?

bigvince06

Support BGOL
Registered
cool i didnt know that, i know theres alot in finsbury park/islington. ive known at least half a dozen girls that are all from sao paulo living there

I will have to do some more exploring in that area since I dont go to the emirates that often. usually if I cant get tickets to the emirates, I eat at that jerk chicken stand directly across from the ground and then walk back to the gunners pub and watch the game there.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Man U all day :dance: :dance:

fuck chelsea/ fuck arsenal

@duvalnigga :smh: football is not for you fam, no tv time outs(hardest sports to play, stick to bball, anybody can play that)

FUCK CHELSEA:confused: YOU STILL HATIN CAUSE WE TOOK THE CUP HATER

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Arsenal FC - The History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

crestarsenalnewdg3.png

Club History

FROM FOUNDATION TO THE FIRST WORLD WAR

Arsenal Football Club began life when a group of workers at the Woolwich Arsenal Armament Factory decided to form a football team in late 1886. The Club played under the name of Dial Square. Their first match was a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers, on December 11, 1886. Soon after, the name Royal Arsenal was adopted and the Club continued playing in friendlies and local cup competitions for the next few years.

In 1891 the Club turned professional and changed its name to Woolwich Arsenal, finally joining the Football League in 1893. The Gunners moved to their current home at Highbury in 1913, as a Second Division side. Following the First World War Arsenal were voted into the newly expanded First Division, where they have remained ever since.

CHAPMAN AND THE GLORIOUS THIRTIES

Herbert Chapman took over at Arsenal in 1925, and in 1930 he guided the Gunners to their first ever trophy ¡ª beating Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup Final. The following season Arsenal were champions for the first time. Between 1933 and 1935 the Club won a hattrick of league titles (which has only been achieved by four teams in the top flight). Sadly Chapman died in the middle of the run, by which time he had reached legend status.

George Allison took over and the dominance continued for the rest of the decade, winning one more FA Cup (1936) and another title (1938). During this time Arsenal had some of the game¡¯s greatest players on its books: Alex James, Ted Drake, Cliff Bastin, David Jack, Eddie Hapgood and George Male were just some of the names in what was one of the greatest sides ever to play in the Football League.

POST-WAR TO THE FIRST DOUBLE
The Second World War stopped Arsenal in their tracks but Tom Whittaker became manager and more success followed. Arsenal were Champions in 1947/48 and 1952/53; FA Cup winners in 1950 and runners-up in 1952. The ¡®60s provided little in the way of silverware at Highbury, with two losing appearances in the League Cup Final in 1968 and 1969 being the closest thing to success. Bertie Mee had taken over in the mid-Sixties and Arsenal lifted their first ever European trophy in 1969/70, beating Anderlecht 4-3 over the two legged Fairs Cup Final.

Better was to follow the following season. An Arsenal side containing the likes of Charlie George, George Armstrong, Ray Kennedy and captain Frank McLintock, won the league and FA Cup ¡®double¡¯. They clinched the title at White Hart Lane, then beat Liverpool after extra time at Wembley to win the Cup. The side returned to Wembley for three consecutive FA Cup Finals under Terry Neill at the end of the decade ¡ª winning the second of them, 3-2 against Manchester United. The game became known as the ¡®Five Minute Final¡¯. The Gunners also reached the 1980 Cup Winners¡¯ Cup Final, with a team that included Graham Rix, Frank Stapleton, Pat Rice, David O¡¯Leary and Liam Brady, but lost on penalties to Valencia.

GEORGE GRAHAM¡¯S HONOURS

In 1986 George Graham, a member of the 1971 ¡®double¡¯ winning team, took over as manager from Don Howe and more glory days followed. He led Arsenal to their first ever League Cup triumph in 1986/87, beating Liverpool 2-1 in the Final. Two years later the Gunners won the League Championship, with a famous last minute goal from Michael Thomas clinching the title with a 2-0 win at Anfield. Another title followed in 1990/91, when the side, including the famous defensive back four, lost just one league game.

More silverware followed. In 1992/93 Arsenal became the first club to win both domestic cups in the same season. Sheffield Wednesday were the beaten side on both occasions. Graham¡¯s era of success was rounded off the following season. A superb run in the European Cup Winners¡¯ Cup ended with a memorable 1-0 win over Parma in the Final in Copenhagen, thanks to Alan Smith¡¯s strike. Arsenal failed to retain the trophy the following season, losing in the 1995 final to Real Zaragoza. By this time George Graham had left the Club. He was succeeded by Bruce Rioch, who was in charge for one season, during which time he signed Dennis Bergkamp.

THE ARS¨¨NE WENGER ERA
In 1997/98, Wenger¡¯s first full season at Highbury, Arsenal achieved, for the second time in the Club¡¯s history, the League and FA Cup ¡®double¡¯ enabling the Frenchman to pick up the Carling Manager of the Year Award. Dennis Bergkamp was also named Football Writers¡¯ Association (FWA) Player of the Year and PFA Player of the Year. A tremendous season was rounded off perfectly for French Internationals Emmanuel Petit and Patrick Vieira as the Gunners stars played their part in France¡¯s victorious World Cup campaign.

Three consecutive league runners-up medals followed and in 2000 Arsenal appeared in the UEFA Cup Final where they lost on penalties. In 2001 the Club reached the Quarter-Finals of the UEFA Champions League before being knocked out by Valencia. 2001/02 however saw a reversal of fortunes as the Club recorded their third ¡®double¡¯ by beating Chelsea in the FA Cup and ending their league campaign with a 13-game unbeaten run and a memorable 1-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford. Arsenal remained unbeaten at home for the whole season. For that, Ars¨¨ne Wenger was named Barclaycard Manager of the Year while Robert Pires was named Football Writers¡¯ Association Player of the Year.

The following season Arsenal narrowly missed out on retaining the title but the Gunners became the first English club in more than 20 years to retain the FA Cup with their 1-0 victory over Southampton at Cardiff. Thierry Henry was voted player of the season by both the PFA and the Football Writers¡¯ Association in a term which saw him join Dennis Bergkamp in the hallowed 100 Club having scored a century of goals for Arsenal. Season 2003/2004 saw Arsenal win back the title in unbeatable fashion managing to go though the entire league season without a single defeat. Finishing 11 points ahead of second-place Chelsea, Arsenal smashed several records on the way to their 13th league title win. Spanish youngster Cesc Fabregas arrived in January and by the end of the season had broken the record for the youngest Arsenal appearance aged 16 years and 177 days.

A Semi-Final defeat in the FA Cup by Manchester United and the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League by Chelsea ended any hope of a remarkable treble. The unbeaten league run continued the following season and in August 2004 Arsenal overtook Nottingham Forest¡¯s record for the longest all-time unbeaten sequence in English league football. The Gunners made it five trophies in four seasons by winning the FA Cup in a penalty shoot-out victory over Manchester United.

The 2005/06 campaign was the Club¡¯s last at Highbury and the Final Salute celebrations proved to be a fitting goodbye to the Club¡¯s home of 93 years. Fourth place in the league ¡ª and Champions League football ¡ª was secured on the last day of the season with a 4-2 win over Wigan Athletic (coupled with Tottenham¡¯s loss at West Ham United). Arsenal¡¯s alltime record at Highbury reads as follows: Played 2,010; Won 1,196; Drawn 475; Lost 339; Goals Scored 4,038; Goals Conceded 1,955.

The highlight of the season was the Club¡¯s amazing journey to the 2005/06 Champions League Final in Paris. A 12- game unbeaten run, including a new competition record for the most amount of consecutive clean sheets (10 in all), saw Arsenal line-up against Barcelona in the Final on May 17 at the Stade de France. Despite having Jens Lehmann sent-off after just 18 minutes, the Gunners scored first through Sol Campbell before, in the second-half, the Spaniards scored two late goals to break the hearts of the travelling Arsenal support.

INTO EMIRATES STADIUM
As the Club prepared itself for the move to Emirates Stadium, Gunners captain and record goalscorer, Thierry Henry committed his future to Arsenal before going on to help France reach the World Cup Final in Germany in the summer of 2006. In July, 2006 the Club left Highbury, their stadium of 93 years, and moved to their new home. Ajax provided the opposition in Dennis Bergkamp¡¯s Testimonial as the legendary striker played his last game for the Club in the first ever match at Emirates Stadium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Club Honours

LEAGUE CHAMPIONS (13)
1930/31, 1932/33, 1933/34, 1934/35, 1937/38, 1947/48, 1952/53, 1970/71, 1988/89, 1990/91, 1997/98, 2001/02, 2003/04

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS (11)
1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1948, 1953, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004

FA CUP WINNERS (10)
1930 Beat Huddersfield Town 2-0
1936 Beat Sheffield United 1-0
1950 Beat Liverpool 2-0
1971 Beat Liverpool 2-1
1979 Beat Manchester United 3-2
1993 Beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1
1998 Beat Newcastle United 2-0
2002 Beat Chelsea 2-0
2003 Beat Southampton 1-0
2005 Beat Manchester Utd 5-4 on penalties (after 0-0 draw)

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS (2)
1987 Beat Liverpool 2-1
1993 Beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1

EUROPEAN RECORD
1970 European Fairs Cup winners beating Anderlecht of Belgium 4-3 on aggregate.
1980 Cup Winners¡¯ Cup finalists losing on penalties to Valencia of Spain in Brussels.
1994 Cup Winners¡¯ Cup winners beating Parma of Italy 1-0 in the final in Copenhagen.
1995 Cup Winners¡¯ Cup finalists losing 2-1 to Real Zaragoza of Spain after extra time in Paris.
2000 UEFA Cup finalists losing 4-1 on penalties to Galatasaray after a 0-0 draw and extra time in Copenhagen.

ARSENAL LADIES¡¯ HONOURS

NATIONAL PREMIER LEAGUE
1992/93, 1994/95, 1996/97, 2000/01, 2001/02, 2003/04, 2004/05

NATIONAL LEAGUE CUP WINNERS
1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005

WFA CUP WINNERS
1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH WINNERS
1991/92

LONDON SENIOR CUP WINNERS
1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004

YOUTH HONOURS

FA PREMIER YOUTH LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1997/98

FA NATIONAL ACADEMY PLAY-OFF FINAL WINNERS
Under-17s: 1999/00
Under-19s: 2001/02

SOUTH EAST COUNTIES LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

FA YOUTH CUP WINNERS
1966, 1971, 1988, 1994, 2000, 2001

SOUTHERN JUNIOR CUP WINNERS
1956, 1971, 1984, 1991, 1998

Club Records

APPEARANCE AND ATTENDANCES

Most overall
722 David O'Leary (Debut Burnley (a) 16 Aug 1975)

Most league
558 David O'Leary (Debut Burnley (a) 16 Aug 1975)

Most Premiership

344 David Seaman (332 Ray Parlour)

Most consecutive

172 Tom Parker (3 April 1926 - 26 December 1929)

YOUNGEST

Overall

Francesc Fabregas (16 years 177 days, Lge Cup Rotherham Utd (h) 28 Oct 2003)

Previously
Jermaine Pennant (16 years 319 days, Lge Cup Middlesbrough (a) 30 Nov 1999)

In League
Gerry Ward (16 years 321 days, Huddersfield T (h) 22 Aug 1953)

In Premiership

Cesc Fabregas (17 years 103 days, Everton (a) 15 Aug 2004)

In Europe
Cesc Fabregas (17 years 169 days v Panathinaikos (a) Champions League 20 Oct 2004 drew 2-2)

In FA Cup
Stewart Robson (17 years 57 days v Tottenham (a) FAC3 2 Jan 1982 lost 0-1)

OLDEST

Overall
Jock Rutherford (41 years 159 days, v Man City (h) 20 March 1926)

In League

Jock Rutherford (41 years 159 days, v Man City (h) 20 March 1926)

In Premiership
John Lukic (39 years 336 days, v Derby County (h) 11 Nov 2000)

Highest Arsenal appearance holders
1. David O'Leary - 722
2. Tony Adams - 669
3. George Armstrong - 621
4. Lee Dixon - 619
5. Nigel Winterburn - 584
6. David Seaman 564
7. Pat Rice - 528
8. Peter Storey - 501
9. John Radford - 481
10. Peter Simpson - 477

ATTENDANCES (HOME ONLY)

Highest
Premiership 38,419 v Leicester City 15 May 2004
League 73,295 v Sunderland 9 March 1935
Overall 73,295 v Sunderland 9 March 1935
Wembley Stadium 73,707 v RC Lens 25 November 1998

Lowest
Premiership 18,253 v Wimbledon 10 February 1993
League 4,554 v Leeds United 5 May 1966
Overall 4,554 v Leeds United 5 May 1966
Wembley Stadium 71,227 v AIK Solna 22 September 1999

Goalscoring Records

(Correct as of 15th January 2006)

Most goals overall
198 Thierry Henry

Most Premiership goals
150 Thierry Henry

Most League goals
150 Cliff Bastin/Thierry Henry

Most FA Cup goals
26 Cliff Bastin

Most League Cup goals
29 Ian Wright

Most overall European goals
38 Thierry Henry

Most UEFA Champions League goals
31 Thierry Henry

Most goals in a season
44 Ted Drake 1934/35 (42 Lge, 1FAC, 1C.Shield)

Most League goals in a season
42 Ted Drake 1934/35

Most Premiership goals in a season
30 Thierry Henry 2003/2004

Previously
23 Ian Wright 1993/94 & 1996/97

Most goals in any match by an AFC player
7 Ted Drake (Aston Villa (a) 14 Dec 1935 won 7-1 Lge)

Most goals in any match by an AFC player at Highbury
5 Jack Lambert (Sheff Utd 24 Dec 1932 won 9-2 Lge)

Most goals in a League match by AFC player at Highbury
5 Jack Lambert (Sheff Utd 24 Dec 1932 won 9-2 Lge)

Most goals in a League match by AFC player away
7 Ted Drake (Aston Villa 14 Dec 1935 won 7-1 Lge)

Most goals in a FA Cup match by AFC player at Highbury
4 Cliff Bastin (Darwen 9 Jan 1932 won 11-1 FAC3)

Most goals in a FA Cup match by AFC player away
4 Ted Drake (Burnley 20 Feb 1937 won 7-1 FAC5)

Most goals in a match by an opponent at Highbury
4 Bobby Tambling (Chelsea (h) 14 March 1964 lost 2-4 Lge)

Most goals in a match by an opponent away
4 Billy Walker (Aston Villa (a) 28 August 1920 lost 0-5 Lge)
4 Colin Booth (Wolves (a) 10 November 1956 lost 2-5 Lge)

Most goals in a European competition match by AFC player
4 Alan Smith (FK Austria (h) 18 Sep 1991 won 6-1 European Cup 1)

Most goals in a League Cup match by AFC player
No AFC player has scored over three goals in a match

Fastest recorded goal scored by AFC player
20.07 secs Gilberto (PSV (a) 25 Sept 2002 won 4-0 UCL (1))
This is the fastest ever recorded goal in Champions League history.

Last hat-tricks by AFC player at Highbury
Thierry Henry (Middlesbrough 14 January 2006 won 7-0 Lge)
Thierry Henry (Norwich 2 April 2005 won 4-1 Lge)
Thierry Henry (Portsmouth 5 March 2005 won 3-0 Lge)
Thierry Henry (Leeds Utd 16 April 2004 won 5-0 Lge)
Thierry Henry (Liverpool 9 April 2004 won 4-2 Lge)
Jermaine Pennant (Southampton 7 May 2003 won 6-1 Lge)

Last hat-tricks by AFC player away
Thierry Henry (AS Roma 27 Nov 2002 won 3-1 UCL Grp Stge2)
Ray Parlour (Werder Bremen 23 Mar 2000 won 4-2 UEFA QF)
Kanu (Chelsea 23 Oct 1999 won 3-2 Lge)

Last hat-trick by an opponent at Highbury
Mick Quinn (Coventry City 14 Aug 1993 lost 0-3 Lge)

Last hat-trick by an opponent away
Dwight Yorke (Manchester Utd 25 Feb 2001 lost 1-6 Lge)

Last AFC player scored more than three goals at Highbury
4 Thierry Henry (Leeds Utd 16 April 2004 won 5-0 Lge)
4 Ian Wright (Everton 21 Dec 1991 won 4-2 Lge)
4 Alan Smith (FK Austria 18 Sep 1991 won 6-1 European Cup 1)
4 Cliff Holton (Man City 6 Oct 1956 won 7-3 Lge)

Last time AFC player scored more than three goals away
5 Tony Woodcock (AVilla29 Oct 1983 won6-2 Lge)
4 David Herd (Everton 6 Sept 1958 won 6-1 Lge)

Youngest AFC goalscorer overall
Francesc Fabregas (16 years 212 days v Wolves (h) Lge Cup 2 Dec 2003 won 5-1)

Youngest AFC goalscorer in League
Francesc Fabregas (17 years 113 days v Blackburn Rovers (h) Lge 25 Aug 2004 won 3-0)

Youngest AFC goalscorer in Premiership
Francesc Fabregas (17 years 113 days v Blackburn Rovers (h) Lge 25 Aug 2004 won 3-0)

Youngest AFC goalscorer Europe
Francesc Fabregas (17 years 217 days v Rosenborg (h) Champions League 7 Dec 2004 won 5-1)

Youngest AFC goalscorer in FA Cup
Cliff Bastin (17 years 303 days v Chelsea (h) FAC3 11 Jan 1930 won 2-0)

Youngest AFC scorer of hat-trick
John Radford (17 years 315 days v Wolves (h) Lge 2 Jan 1965 won 4-1)

Firsts

First competitive match (as Woolwich Arsenal)
v Newcastle Utd (h) - Manor Ground Plumstead 2 Sept 1893 - League (Second Divison) Drew 2-2 (W Shaw, A Elliott)

First competitive match at Highbury (as Woolwich Arsenal)
v Leicester Fosse 6 Sept 1913 - League (Second Division) Won 2-1 (Jobey, Devine pen)

First competitive match as Arsenal
v Bristol City (h) 4 April 1914 - League drew 1-1 (Winship)

First league match at 'home'
v Newcastle Utd (h) - Manor Ground Plumstead 2 Sept 1893 - League (Second Divison) Drew 2-2 (W Shaw, A Elliott)

First league match away
Notts County (a) 9 Sept 1893 Lost 2-3 (A Elliott, W Shaw)

First Premiership match
Norwich City (h)15 Aug 1992 Lost 2-4 (Bould, Campbell)

First FA Cup match (Played at Manor Ground, Plumstead)
Ashford United (h) 14 Oct 1893 - FA Cup (1) Won 12-0 (Elliott 3, Henderson 3, Booth 2, Heath 2, Crawford, Powell)

First League Cup match
Gillingham (h) 13 Sept 1966 (Round 2) drew 1-1 (Baldwin)

First match in European comps at home
Staevnet (Denmark) 22 Oct 1963 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Lost 2-3 (Skirton, Barnwell)

First match in European comps away
Staevnet (Denmark) 25 Sept 1963 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Won 7-1 (Strong 3, Baker 3, MacLeod)

First match in UEFA Champions League
RC Lens (a) 16 Sept 1998 Drew 1-1 (Overmars)

First match in Charity/Community Shield
Oct 8 1931 (Sheff Wed at Stamford Bridge) Won 2-1 (Joe Hulme, David Jack)

Record Scorelines

WINS

Biggest AFC home win overall
12-0 (Loughborough Town (h) 12 March 1900 - Lge (Div 2))
12-0 (Ashford United (h) 14 Oct1893- FA Cup (1))

Biggest AFC away win overall
7-0 (Standard Liege (a) 3 Nov 1993- Cup Winrs' Cup(2))

Biggest AFC home win in the League
12-0 (Loughborough Town (h) 12 March 1900 - Lge (Div 2))

Biggest AFC home win in Top Division
9-1 (Grimsby Town (h) 28 Jan 1931 - Div 1)

Biggest AFC away win in the League
7-1 (Aston Villa (a) 14 Dec 1935 - Div 1)

Biggest AFC home win in Premiership
7-0 (Everton (h) 12 May 2005)
7-0 (Middlesbrough (h) 14 January 2006)

Biggest AFC away win in Premiership
6-1 (Middlesbrough (a) 24 April 1999)

Biggest AFC home win in all Euro competitions
7-1 (Dinamo Bacau (Rom) (h) 18 March 1970- Euro Fairs Cup (4))

Biggest AFC away win in all Euro competitions
7-0 (Standard Liege (a) 3 Nov 93 Cup Winrs' Cup (2))

Biggest AFC home win in UEFA Champions League
5-1 (Rosenborg(h)7 Dec2004-UCL GrpStge)

Biggest AFC Wembley win in UEFA Champions League
3-1 (AIK Solna 22 Sept 1999 - UCL Group Stge 1)

Biggest AFC away win in UEFA Champions League
5-1 (Inter Milan (a) 25 Nov 2003-UCL Grp Stge1)
4-0 (PSV Eindhoven (a) 25 Sept 2002 - UCL Grp Stge1)

Biggest AFC home win in FA Cup
12-0 (Ashford United (h) 14 Oct 1893 -FA Cup (1))

Biggest AFC away win in FA Cup
7-1 (Burnley (a) 20 Feb 1937 - FA Cup 5)

Biggest AFC home win in League Cup
7-0 (Leeds Utd (h) 4 Sept 1979 - Lge Cup 2)

Biggest AFC away win in League Cup
6-1 (Scunthorpe Utd (a) 25 Sept 1968 - Lge Cup 2)
6-1 (Plymouth Argyle (a) 3 Oct 1989 - Lge Cup 2)

Biggest win under Ars¨¨ne Wenger
7-0 (Everton (h) 12 May 2005 - Premiership)
7-0 (Middlesbrough (h) 14 January 2006 - Premiership)

DEFEATS

Biggest AFC home defeat overall
0-6 (Derby County (h) 28 Jan 1899 FA Cup 1)

Biggest AFC away defeat overall
0-8 (Loughborough Town (a) 12 Dec 1896 Lge Div 2)

Biggest AFC home defeat in the League
0-5 (Liverpool (h) 28 Oct 1893 Div 2)

Biggest AFC home defeat in Top Division
0-5 (Huddersfield Town (h) 14 Feb 1925 Div 1)

Biggest AFC away defeat in the League
0-7 (West Ham Utd (a) 7 March 1927 Div 1)
0-7 (Newcastle Utd (a) 3 Oct 1925 - Div 1)
0-7 (West Brom (a) 14 Oct 1922 - Div 1)
0-7 (Blackburn (a) 2 Oct 1909 - Div 1)

Biggest AFC home defeat in Premiership
0-3 (Coventry City 14 Aug 1993)
0-3 (Middlesbrough 14 April 2001)
2-4 (Charlton Ath 4 Nov 2001)

Biggest AFC away defeat in the Premiership
1-6 (Manchester Utd 25 Feb 2001)

Biggest AFC home defeat in all Euro competitions
2-5 (Spartak Moscow 29 Sept 1982 - UEFA Cup (1))

Biggest AFC away defeat in all Euro competitions
0-3 (Shakhtar Donetsk 7 Nov 2000 - UCL Grp Stage 1)
1-4 (Spartak Moscow 22 Nov 2000 - UCL Grp Stge 2)

Biggest AFC home defeat in UEFA Champions League
0-3 (Inter Milan 17 September 2003 - UCL Group Stge 1)

Biggest AFC away defeat in UEFA Champions League
0-3 (Shakhtar Donetsk 7 Nov 2000 - UCL Grp Stage 1)
1-4 (Spartak Moscow 22 Nov 2000 - UCL Grp Stge 2)

Biggest AFC Wembley defeat in UEFA Champions League
2-4 (Barcelona 19 Oct 1999 - UCL Group Stge 1)

Biggest AFC home defeat in FA Cup
0-6 (Derby County (h) 28 Jan 1899 FA Cup 1)

Biggest AFC away defeat in FA Cup
1-6 (Burnley (a) 1 Feb 1896 FA Cup 1)

Biggest AFC home defeat in League Cup
0-5 (Chelsea (h) 11 Nov 1999 Lge Cup 4)

Biggest AFC away defeat in League Cup
0-4 (Blackburn (a) 11 Dec 2001 Lge Cup 5)

Biggest home defeat under Ars¨¨ne Wenger
0-5 (Chelsea (h) 11 Nov 1999 Lge Cup 4)

Biggest away defeat under Ars¨¨ne Wenger
1-6 (Manchester Utd (a) 25 Feb 2001 Lge)

DRAWS

Highest scoring home draw overall
4-4 on six occasions - Last v Tottenham H 15 Oct 1963

Highest scoring away draw overall
6-6 (Leicester City 21 April 1930 Lge)

Highest scoring home draw in the Premiership
3-3 (Chelsea 4 Sept 1996)
3-3 (Sheff Wed 9 May 2000)
3-3 (Blackburn Rovers 20 Oct 2001)

Highest scoring away draw in the Premiership
3-3 (Leicester City 27 Aug 1997)

Highest scoring home draw in all Euro competitions
2-2 (Brondby 3 Nov 1994 - Cup Winrs' Cup(2))
2-2 (Bayern Munich 5 Dec 2000- UCL Group Stge 2)

Highest scoring away draw in all Euro competitions
3-3 (Nantes 9 Dec 1999 - UEFA Cup (3))
2-2 (Magdeburg (Ger) 7 Nov 1979 - Cup Winrs' Cup(2))

Highest scoring home draw in UEFA C.League
2-2 (Bayern Munich 5 Dec 2000- UCL GroupStge 2)

Highest scoring away draw in UEFA C.League
1-1 (Last v Chelsea 24 March 2004 - UCL QF1)

Records against Tottenham

First competitive match against Spurs
Dec 4 1909 (League) Home (Manor Ground Plumstead) Won 1-0 (Walter Lawrence)

Biggest AFC home win over Spurs
5-1 (20 Oct 1934 - Lge. Ted Drake3, Pat Beasley, T.Evans (og))

Biggest AFC away win over Spurs
6-0 (6 March 1935-Lge. Alf Kirchen 2, Ted Drake 2, Peter Dougall, Cliff Bastin (p))

Biggest AFC home defeat to Spurs
0-3 (14 December 1912 - League)
0-3 (27 February 1954 - League)

Biggest AFC away defeat to Spurs
0-5 (25 December 1911 - League)
0-5 (4 April 1983 - League)

Last AFC win
5-4 (13 Nov 2004 - League. AFC Henry, Lauren, Vieira, Ljungberg, Pires. Spurs Naybet, Defoe, King, Kanoute)

Last Spurs win
1-2 (7 Nov 1999 - League. AFC Vieira. Spurs. Iversen, Sherwood)

Last AFC win at White Hart Lane
5-4 (13 Nov 2004 - League. AFC Henry, Lauren, Vieira, Ljungberg, Pires. Spurs Naybet, Defoe, King, Kanoute)

Last Spurs win at Highbury
1-3 (11 May 1993 - Lge - Last match of season.)
(AFC: Dickov. Spurs: John Hendry 2, Sheringham)

Sequences

Overall consecutive wins
14 (From 12 Sept 1987)
14 (From 10 Feb 2002)

Overall consecutive defeats
8 (From 12 Feb 1977)

Overall consecutive draws
6 (From 4 March 1961)

Consecutive League wins
10 (From 12 Sept 1987)

Consecutive Premiership wins
14 (From 10 Feb 2002)

Consecutive League wins at start of a season
8 (1903/04)
6 (1947/48)
4 (2003/2004)

Consecutive League defeats
7 (From 12 Feb 1977)

Consecutive Premiership defeats
4 (From 21 Nov 1992)
4 (From 5 March 1995)

Consecutive League draws
6 (From 4 March 1961)

Consecutive Premiership draws
5 (From 3 Jan 1994)

Consecutive matches unbeaten in all comps
24 (From 20 March 2002 - 19 Oct 2002)
22 (From 26 Oct 2003)

Consecutive League matches unbeaten
26 (From 28 April 1990)

Consecutive Premiership matches unbeaten
49 (From 7 May 2003 - 1 February 2005)
This is an overall record. Previously held by Man Utd (29 matches) 1998 - 1999.

Consecutive League matches unbeaten at start of a season
23 (From 25 Aug 1990 - 2 February 1991)

Consecutive Premiership matches unbeaten at start of a season
38 (All Season: 16 Aug 2003 - 15 May 2004)

Consecutive League home matches unbeaten
33 (From 1 Nov 1902)

Consecutive Premiership home matches unbeaten
32 (From 7 May 2003)

Consecutive matches without a win in all comps
19 (From 28 Sept 1912)

Consecutive League matches without a win
23 (From 28 Sept 1912)

Consecutive Premiership matches without a win
8 (From 21 Nov 1992)

Consecutive League home wins
15 (From 5 Sept 1903)

Consecutive Premiership home wins
12 (From 23 Feb 2001)

Consecutive League away wins
6 (From 22 Oct 1977)

Consecutive Premiership away wins
8 (From 23 Jan 2002)

Consecutive League home defeats
4 On three occasions (Last from 14 Nov 1959)

Consecutive Premiership home defeats
2 On four occasions (Last From 30 Dec 1995)

Consecutive League away defeats
13 (From 13 Dec 1924)

Consecutive Premiership away defeats
4 (From 21 Nov 1992)
4 (From 8 March 1995)

League consecutive home matches without a win
16 (From 27 April 1911)

Premiership consecutive home matches without a win
8 (From 6 Nov 1994)

Consecutive League away matches unbeaten
13 (From 5 May 1990)

Consecutive Premiership away matches unbeaten
23 (From 18 Aug 2001)
This is an overall English record. Previously held by Nottingham Forest (22 matches) in old Div 1 Nov 1977 - Dec 1978.

Consecutive League away matches without a win
15 (From 7 Jan 1928)

Consecutive Premiership away matches without a win
6 On four occasions (Last from 26 Dec 1999)

Consecutive League clean sheets
8 (From 10 April 1903)

Consecutive Premiership clean sheets
6 (From 26 Dec 1999)

Consecutive League matches without scoring
6 (From 25 Feb 1987)

Consecutive Premiership matches without scoring
4 (From 21 Nov 1992)

Consecutive League matches scoring
31 (From 3 May 1930)

Consecutive Premiership matches scoring
55 (19 May 2001 - 7 Dec 2002)
Overall English record. Previous record was held by Chesterfield (46 matches) achieved in Division Three North between 1929-1930.

League consecutive matches conceding
39 (From 2 April 1930)

Premiership consecutive matches conceding
11 (From 9 Dec 2001)

RECENT AFC 'WITHOUT SCORING' RECORDS

Last time AFC went two consecutive matches without scoring
17 Sept 2003 Inter Milan (h) (UCL Grp Stge) 0-3
20 Sept 2003 Manchester United (a) (LGE) 0-0

Last time AFC went two consecutive League matches without scoring
11 Nov 2000 Derby County (h) (LGE) 0-0
18 Nov 2000 Everton (a) (LGE) 0-2

Last time AFC went two consecutive 'home' matches without scoring
27 Oct 1999 Fiorentina (Wembley) (UCL Grp Stg) 0-1
30 Oct 1999 Newcastle United (h) (LGE) 0-0

Last time AFC went two consecutive matches at Highbury without scoring
11 Nov 1998 Chelsea (h) (Lge Cup 4) 0-5
14 Nov 1998 Tottenham Hotspur (h) (LGE) 0-0

Last time AFC went two consecutive League matches at Highbury without scoring
15 April 1996 Tottenham Hotpsur (h) (LGE) 0-0
1 May 1996 Liverpool (h) (LGE) 0-0

Last time AFC went three consecutive matches without scoring
7 Nov 2000 Shakhtar Donetsk (a) (UCL) 0-3
11 Nov 2000 Derby County (a) (LGE) 0-0
18 Nov 2000 Everton (a) (LGE) 0-2

Last time AFC went three consecutive League matches without scoring
22 Aug 1998 Liverpool (a) (LGE) 0-0
29 Aug 1998 Charlton (h) (LGE) 0-0
9 Sept 1998 Chelsea (a) (LGE) 0-0

The Unbeaten Record

UNBEATEN RECORDS

Unbeaten in League from the start of a season
38 (All Season) - Arsenal (FA Premier League) 2003/04
29 - Liverpool (Old Div 1) 1987/88
29 - Leeds United (Old Div 1) 1973/74

Unbeaten League sequence during a single season
38 - Arsenal (FA Premier League) 2003/04
30 - Burnley (Old Div 1) 1920/21

Unbeaten sequence in the FA Premier League
49 - Arsenal 2002/03 - 2003/04 - 2004/5

This is an all time unbeaten league sequence!

OTHER CURRENT RECORDS / LANDMARKS

* AFC went unbeaten in 49 Premiership matches. This in an overall record.
* The unbeaten run was ended on October 24, 2004 by Manchester United, who defeated Arsenal 2-0 at Old Trafford.
* AFC remained unbeaten at home in the Premiership until February 1, 2005.
* AFC went the entire 2003/4 Premiership season unbeaten. This an all time record.
* AFC only lost two Premiership matches in the year 2003. These were Blackburn(a) March 15, 2003 and Leeds(h) May 4, 2003.
* AFC only lost two Premiership matches in the year 2004. These were Manchester United (a) October 24, 2004 and Liverpool (a) November 28, 2004.
* AFC went the whole of the year 2004 unbeaten at home in the Premiership.
* During the 2003/4 Premiership season Arsenal failed to score on only four occassions, 0-0 draws with Birmingham, Newcastle, Fulham and Manchester United. Before the Fulham match, Arsenal had scored in 46 consecutive home league matches, stretching back to Middlesbrough (h) Sat 14 April 2001 (Lost 0-3).

Kit Design

For Arsenal¡¯s last season at Highbury, the Club¡¯s home since 1913, the players will wear, for home matches, a special commemorative strip.

The shirt, redcurrant in colour, matches the shade of the team¡¯s strip in the Club¡¯s first season at Highbury. Adorned with gold lettering and the Club crest the shirt is accompanied by white shorts and redcurrant socks. In addition, the strip is manufactured, despite its authentic look, from the latest ¡®breathable¡¯ lightweight sports fabric.

The away strip for 2005/06 consists of yellow shirts, black shorts and black socks with the 2004/05 all-blue change strip becoming the third kit. Once the Club completes the move to Emirates Stadium for the beginning of the 2006/07 season, the players will revert to wearing the famous Arsenal red and white strip, the origins of which tell a great story.

In 1895, two years before the Club became professional, a small group of Nottingham Forest players, Fred Beardsley, Bill Parr and Charlie Bates, joined Dial Square FC, (the Club¡¯s first name) and brought their old red kit along with them. Working to a tight budget, the Club decided the most inexpensive way of acquiring a strip was to kit out the team in the same colour as the ex-Forest players.

This original kit was a dark red, with long sleeves, a collar and three buttons down the front. The shirt was worn with white knee length shorts and heavy woollen socks with blue and white hoops. The goalkeeper wore the same attire apart from the shirt - which was a hand knitted cream woollen polo neck jumper. It was this dark red kit that the team wore during their first season at Highbury in 1913/14.

Beardsley, Parr and Bates¡¯ generosity in providing shirts and inspiring the Club to play in red encouraged several other teams to follow Arsenal¡¯s lead. One of the most famous examples is Sparta Prague whose president, Dr Petric, visited London in 1906. He returned home to Czechoslovakia after having watched Woolwich Arsenal and was so inspired by the kit that he demanded his team play in the same colours. Today, Sparta Prague continue to play in the same dark red kit, not disimilar to Arsenal¡¯s 2005/06 redcurrant.

kitshistory8zx.jpg

It was the arrival of manager Herbert Chapman in 1925 that launched the Arsenal kit as we know it today. Depending on which source you believe, Chapman either noticed someone at the ground wearing a red sleeveless sweater over a white shirt or played golf with famous cartoonist of the day Tom Webster who wore something similar. Either way the ¡®look¡¯ inspired the manager to create a new strip combining a red shirt with white collar and sleeves.

It also incorporated the Club badge, which was positioned on the left-hand side of the shirt. In the 1950s a second kit was developed to combat a clash of colours with opposing home teams with similar kits. And in 1960, the Club moved away from the woven rugby shirt style to a new knitted cotton jersey in around 1960.

The Club¡¯s famous cannon graphic appeared on the shirt for the first time in the early 1970s. It was this shirt that Arsenal won their first famous ¡®double¡¯, both the League Championship and the FA Cup in the 1970/71 season. In the late 1970s, the shirt featured a kit manufacturers logo for the first time, in this case ¡®Umbro¡¯.

And in 1982 ¡®JVC¡¯ became the Club¡¯s first shirt sponsor, which in turn made way for ¡®SEGA¡¯ in 1999. From the beginning of the 2002/03 season telecommunications company O2 took over as shirt sponsors and from the 2006/07 season this will change to Fly Emirates in a deal which lasts eight years.

The Crest

In 1888, just two years after the formation of the Club, Arsenal, who were then called Royal Arsenal, adopted its first crest (1). This was based largely on the coat of arms of the Borough of Woolwich. The Club was based in the Borough from its formation until 1913, playing at Plumstead Common; Sportsman Ground; Manor Ground; Invicta Ground and the Manor Ground again before heading across London to Highbury, Islington.

The original badge comprised three columns, which, although they look like chimneys, are in actual fact cannons. The significance of the cannons to the Borough of Woolwich derives from the long military history surrounding the area. The Royal Arsenal, Royal Artillery Regiment and various military hospitals - which still dot the landscape today - were all prominent in the Borough.

The cannons on the original crest were obviously a reference to the military influence in Woolwich and despite the Club's ties with the area being cut 89 years ago, the cannon theme has developed throughout the years and has remained prominent on the Gunners different crests down the years, including the new design.

In the early days the crest was not as significant a part of a football club's identity as it is today. Shirts remained plain, unless commemorating a significant match, an FA Cup Final for example, and the crest was generally reserved for official headed stationary, matchday programmes and handbooks.

arsenalcresta2hj.gif

Following Arsenal's move north to Highbury in 1913, it wasn't immediately apparent that the Club would embrace the Woolwich Arsenal legacy and keep the cannon as a recognisable motif. The Club soon became just 'Arsenal', the Great War affected football for four seasons and recommencing in 1919/20 ¡®normal¡¯ football took some time to settle. During all of this period there was no sign of a crest as such but, in the first matchday programme of the 1922/23 season, when the Gunners played Burnley, a new club crest (2) was revealed - a fearsome looking cannon, that would have sat proudly in the Royal Arsenal of Woolwich.

As can be seen the vertical cannons have gone with the new design featuring a single eastward pointing cannon. Whoever designed this robust looking weapon saw his handiwork used by the Club for just three seasons however, and for the start of the 1925/26 season, the Gunners changed to a westward pointing, narrower cannon (3) with the legend 'The Gunners' remaining next to it.

The derivation of the narrower cannon has never been officially confirmed, but the cannons on the crest of the Royal Arsenal Gatehouse in Woolwich (4) are uncannily similar to that used as the Gunners¡¯ symbol.

This cannon crest remained prominent in the Arsenal matchday programme and other publications for 17 seasons. It changed slightly through the years with the wording eventually disappearing, but, despite being usurped by the Victoria Concordia Crescit crest in 1949 it has remained a basic symbol of the Club ever since, featuring on official merchandise and stationary throughout the years right up until the present day.

The VCC crest (5), which the new crest replaces, has been Arsenal's symbol since appearing in the first new style magazine matchday programme of season 1949/50. It would appear to have been in the minds of the Gunners hierarchy for at least a year prior to this. In the final matchday programme of the 1947/48 League Championship winning season, 'Marksman' (aka Harry Homer), the programme editor of the day, wrote:

"...my mind seeks an apt quotation with which to close this season which has been such a glorious one for Tom Whittaker, Joe Mercer and all connected with The Gunners. Shall we turn for once to Latin? 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'. Translation: 'Victory grows out of harmony.'"

arsenalcrestb0sk.gif

Two seasons later and Arsenal unveiled its new crest which incorporated Marksman's latin maxim. Tom Whittaker explained in the 1949/50 handbook (which also included the new crest) that the Club had been impressed by Marksman's motto and it had now been officially adopted by the Club. The new crest also featured 'Arsenal' in a gothic style typeface, the westward facing cannon, the Borough of Islington's coat of arms and ermine.

For the past 53 years this crest has remained largely unchanged (6), though at the start of the 2001/02 season it was 'cleaned up' somewhat (7) for commercial reasons, with a solid yellow replacing the different tones of gold and Victoria Concordia Crescit written in a less ornate typeface.

The Club's identity has thus evolved over the years and the decision to formulate a new crest (8) in 2002 was two-fold. Firstly, as the VCC crest incorporated many separate elements introduced over a number of years, there was uncertainty surrounding its exact origination. Consequently, the Club was unable to copyright the VCC crest. Secondly, it had always been one of the Club's primary objectives to embrace the future and move forward. With a new stadium on the horizon and the Gunners consistently challenging for domestic and European honours, the Club believed that this was the ideal time to introduce a new crest.

Arsenal Facts

* Ars¨¨ne Wenger has won seven major honours at Arsenal (three league championships, four FA Cups) - more than any other Gunners boss.
* Arsenal has the longest unbroken run in the English top division, having been there since 1919. They were last relegated in season 1912/13 when they finished in 20th position.
* Thierry Henry has twice been named Football Writers¡¯ Association Player of the Year, and the PFA Players¡¯ Player of the Year in the same season, and is the only player ever to retain the awards.
* For the past two years Thierry Henry finished second in the FIFA World Player of the Year award, behind compatriot Zinedine Zidane in 2003 and Andriy Shevchenko in 2004.
* Arsenal share the record (with Man Utd) for most appearances in the FA Cup Final with 17, of which they have won ten.
* The 2001 FA Youth Cup victory was Arsenal¡¯s sixth in all, only Manchester United have won more.
* Arsenal have twice clinched the league title at White Hart Lane (1971 and 2004). In addition the Gunners have won the league at Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge (twice).
* In the 2001/2002 season 22 Arsenal players earned a Championship medal, including three different goalkeepers.
* Freddie Ljungberg scored in both the 2001 and 2002 FA Cup Finals, the first player to score in consecutive finals for 40 years.
* Gael Clichy is the youngest player ever to win a Premiership medal, at 18 years and ten months.
* Thierry Henry and Ashley Cole were both named in the PFA Premiership All-Star team last season.
* Francesc Fabregas is Arsenal¡¯s youngest ever player, making his debut at 16 years and 177 days against Rotherham in the Carling Cup Third Round on October 28, 2003. The Spaniard is also the Club¡¯s youngest scorer, netting against Wolves in the Carling Cup Fourth Round aged 16 years and 212 days.
* Ars¨¨ne Wenger was the first foreign manager to lead a team to the English League Championship.
* Arsenal are the only team to score in every game in a Premiership season, achieving the feat in the 2001/02 championship campaign.
* Arsenal¡¯s league record during the 2003/04 season was played 38, won 26, drawn 12, lost 0 - the only time in the modern era a side has remained unbeaten for the duration of a league season.
* Gilberto scored the fastest ever Champions League goal after just 20.07 seconds against PSV Eindhoven on September 25, 2002.
* Tony Adams lifted more trophies than any other Arsenal Captain - nine (four Championships, three FA Cups, one League Cup and the Cup Winners¡¯ Cup).
* Arsenal have appeared in a record 25 FA Cup Semi-Finals, one more than Manchester United.
* Thierry Henry, Robert Pires and Gilberto all have World Cup winner¡¯s medals.
* Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole¡¯s superb performances earned them selection to Euro 2004¡¯s All Star Team of the Tournament.
* Midfielder Gilberto played in every minute of Brazil¡¯s successful World Cup tournament in 2002.
* During 2003/04 Arsenal were unbeaten away from home in league fixtures, the second time in the space of three years that they managed this feat.
* Dennis Bergkamp has won the Cup Winners¡¯ Cup with Ajax and the UEFA Cup twice, once with Ajax and once with Inter Milan.
* Lauren is an Olympic gold medallist, he helped Cameroon to the title at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
* Arsenal¡¯s first ever game at Highbury was a 2-1 victory over Leicester Fosse in a Division Two fixture in September 1913.
* Current head of youth development, Liam Brady, was voted Arsenal¡¯s ¡®Player of the Season¡¯ three times before his move to Juventus.
* Former head youth coach and Under-19s coach, Don Howe, played for (1964-67), coached and managed (1983-86) Arsenal during his association with the Club.
* Assistant manager Pat Rice has been involved in all of Arsenal¡¯s ¡®double¡¯ successes, playing in 1971 and assisting Ars¨¨ne Wenger in 1998 and 2002.
* Ars¨¨ne Wenger was awarded France¡¯s highest civil medal, the Legion of Honour, in the summer of 2002. Thierry Henry and Robert Pires also picked up the honour after the 1998 World Cup. Mr Wenger was also awarded the O.B.E for his services to British football in 2003 and was given the Freedom of Islington in 2004.
* Arsenal¡¯s home UEFA Champions League fixtures in seasons 1998/99 and 1999/00 were held at Wembley. The Club¡¯s fixture against RC Lens at Wembley on November 25, 1998 was attended by 73,707 - a record crowd for an Arsenal ¡®home¡¯ game.
* Former captain Tony Adams made 669 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners, scoring 48 goals. He was at the Club for 22 years. Only David O¡¯Leary, with 722 appearances, played more times for Arsenal.
* Lauren has twice won the African Nations Cup with Cameroon, in 2000 and 2002.
* Arsenal beat Manchester United 3-1 to win the FA Community Shield in August 2004. Arsenal have won the trophy outright a record equalling 11 times, and have also shared it once.
* The Arsenal Ladies won the league title last season, for the seventh time in their history.
* The Arsenal Ladies will once again be representing England in European competition this year.
* In August 2002 Arsenal registered their 14th straight league win, breaking the all-time record in top flight football. The Club record for consecutive home victories in the Premiership (10) was set against Manchester City on September 10, 2002.
* Dennis Bergkamp¡¯s goal against Newcastle at St James¡¯ Park in the 2002/2003 season was named ITV¡¯s ¡®The Premiership¡¯ Goal of the Season and the second best Premiership goal ever.
* In January 2003 Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry both scored their 100th goals for the Club - taking the number of players who have reached three figures for Arsenal to 16.
* When Arsenal beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 on August 25, 2004, they set a new English record for consecutive unbeaten league matches, breaking Nottingham Forest¡¯s sequence of 42 from 1978. The run was eventually stretched to 49 matches.
* Thierry Henry won the European Golden Shoe last season as top scorer in European league football. He is the first player to win the award back-to-back.
* Arsenal¡¯s biggest ever league victory was a 12-0 win over Loughborough Town on March 12, 1900. Coincidentally, the Club¡¯s biggest league defeat was also against Loughborough Town ¡ª 8-0 in 1896.
* Arsenal¡¯s record for most league goals in a season is 127, set in the championship winning season of 1930/31. The least league goals Arsenal have conceded in a season is 18, in the 1990/91 season ¡ª another championship year.
* On December 14, 1935 Ted Drake scored all seven goals in Arsenal¡¯s 7-1 win over Aston Villa at Villa Park ¡ª it remains a record. Ted Drake also holds the record for most goals in a season for Arsenal with 42.
* The highest ever attendance at Highbury is 73,295, set against Sunderland on March 9, 1935.
* The oldest player ever to represent Arsenal is Jock Rutherford, who was 41 years and 236 days old when he appeared against Manchester City.
* Arsenal¡¯s first ever recognised fixture was a friendly against Eastern Wanderers on December 11, 1886. Arsenal were then known as Dial Square FC.
* Arsenal¡¯s most capped player is Patrick Vieira, who made 79 appearances for France while an Arsenal player.
* The Club¡¯s highest tally of league points for a season is 90, set in 2003/2004.
* Arsenal have made nine appearances at the Millennium Stadium.
* Arsenal beat Manchester United 5-4 on penalties in the 2005 FA Cup Final, the first time the Cup has been decided that way in its 133-year history.
* Ars¨¨ne Wenger is the only Arsenal manager to have won the FA Cup four times, and is the second most successful manager in the history of the competition.
* Cesc Fabregas scored against Blackburn at Highbury last season, making him the Club¡¯s youngest ever scorer in league football at 17 years and 113 days.
* Between May 19, 2001 and November 30, 2002 Arsenal scored in 55 consecutive league matches ¡ª an English record.
* Arsenal competed in, and won, the first ever ¡®indoor¡¯ FA Cup Final. Due to heavy rain, the roof on the Millennium Stadium was closed for the entire 2003 Final against Southampton.
* Arsenal remained unbeaten for 18 consecutive FA Cup matches between 2001 and 2004 - a post-war record.
* Pat Rice, either as a player or Assistant Manager, has been to ten FA Cup Finals with Arsenal.
* In 1950 Arsenal became the first Club to win the FA Cup without leaving London during the entire run.

10/11 Away Kit
312h3dd.jpg

10/11 Home Kit
article-1290927-0A457240000005DC-399_634x519.jpg

Last edited:

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

FC Barcelona - Mes Que Un Club

barcathreadheadersv7.jpg

2006teamposelo2.png

Tot el camp
és un clam
som la gent blaugrana
Tant se val d'on venim
si del sud o del nord
ara estem d'acord, ara estem d'acord,
una bandera ens agermana.
Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom el sap tothom:
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

Jugadors, seguidors,
tots units fem força.
Son molt anys plens d'afanys,
son molts gols que hem cridat
i s'ha demostrat, i s'ha demostrat,
que mai ningu no ens podrà torcer.
Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom el sap tothom:
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

A thread where all Culés and admirers can discuss the greatness that is this club.

Cul%C3%A9s.jpg

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////​

Futbol Club Barcelona, is a Catalan sports club based in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It is best known for its football team. It was founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English, and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper. The club has become a Catalan institution, hence the motto Més que un club (More than a club). They were founding members of La Liga in 1928, and, together with Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao, they have never been relegated from the Primera División. The club were also the first La Liga champions and they are the current champions of both Spain and Europe (as of the beginning of the 2006/07 season).

The club's main stadium is the Camp Nou and the fans of FC Barcelona are known as culers or culés. In September 2006, the number of socis (club members/owners) reached 151,127, while in June 2006 the number of penyes (officially-registered supporter clubs) reached 1782 worldwide.

The club also operates a reserve football team, FC Barcelona B and four other professional sports teams, Winterthur FCB, FC Barcelona-Cifec, FC Barcelona Futsal and FC Barcelona Sorli Discau that compete at basketball, handball, futsal and rink hockey respectively. There are also a number of prominent amateur sports teams that compete at rugby union, women's basketball, women's football and wheelchair basketball. These include FCB Rugby, UB-Barça and FC Barcelona-Institut Guttman. Other amateur teams represent the club at ice hockey, athletics, baseball, cycling, field hockey, figure skating, and volleyball.

Since 2005 the club has worn the TV3 logo of Televisió de Catalunya on the left arm, . On July 14 2006 the club announced a five year agreement with UNICEF, which includes having the UNICEF logo on their shirts. The agreement will see FC Barcelona donating US$1.9 million per year to UNICEF.

Early Years (1899-1908)

On 22 October 1899 Joan Gamper placed an advert in Los Deportes declaring his wish to form a football club. A positive response resulted in a meeting at the Gimnasio Sole on November 29. Eleven players attended: Gualteri Wild, Lluís d'Ossó, Bartomeu Terradas, Otto Kunzle, Otto Maier, Enric Ducal, Pere Cabot, Carles Pujol, Josep Llobet, John Parsons, and William Parsons. As a result Foot-Ball Club Barcelona was born. Several other Spanish football clubs, most notably Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao, also had British founders, and as a result they initially adopted English-style names.

FC Barcelona quickly emerged as one of the leading clubs both Catalonia and Spain as they competed in both the Campionat de Catalunya and the Copa del Rey. In 1901 they won their first trophy when they won the Copa Macaya and in 1902 they also played in the first Copa del Rey final, losing 2-1 to Club Vizcaya.

The Gamper years (1908-1925)

In 1908 Joan Gamper became club president for the first time. Gamper took over the presidency as the club was on the verge of folding. The club had not won anything since the Campionat de Catalunya of 1905 and its finances suffered as a result. Gamper was subsequently club president on five separate occasions between 1908 and 1925 and spent 25 years at the helm. One of his main achievements was to help Barça acquire its own stadium. On March 14 1909, it moved into the Carrer Industria, a stadium with a capacity of 6,000. Gamper also launched a campaign to recruit more club members and by 1922 the club had over 10,000. This led to the club moving again, this time to Les Corts. This stadium had an initial capacity of 20,000, later expanded to an impressive 60,000.

Gamper also recruited Paulino Alcántara, the club's all time top-scorer with 356 goals, and in 1917 appointed Jack Greenwell as manager. This saw the club's fortunes begin to improve on the field. During the Gamper era FC Barcelona won eleven Campionat de Catalunya, six Copa del Rey and four Coupe de Pyrenées and enjoyed its first golden age. As well as Alcántara the Barça team under Greenwall also included Sagibarbá, Ricardo Zamora, Josep Samitier, Félix Sesúmaga and Franz Platko.

Rivalry with Real Madrid

There is often a fierce rivalry between the two strongest teams (Real Madrid is some more bad) in a national league and this is particularly the case in La Liga, between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. From the start the clubs were seen as representatives of the two rival regions of Spain, Catalonia and Castile, as well as of the two cities themselves. However the rivalry reached a new level during the Franco years when Real Madrid was widely considered to be the "regime team" while FC Barcelona was often regarded as the team of the opposition.

Although following the Spanish Civil War Real Madrid received considerable institutional assistance from the Franco regime, as he saw the club as the sporting embodiment of the Spain he wanted to create, during the war itself members of both clubs suffered at the hands of Franco supporters. FC Barcelona president Josep Sunyol was murdered while Real Madrid president Rafael Sánchez Guerra, a prominent Republican, was imprisoned and tortured. They also arrested and murdered a Madrid vice-president and club treasurer and an acting president disappeared. In 1940 Enric Pineyro, a Franco collaborator, was appointed FC Barcelona president. The rivalry with Madrid intensified further after the 1943 Copa del Generalísimo semi-final between the two clubs. The first leg at Les Corts ended in a 3-0 victory to Barça, but the return leg saw them defeated 11-1. It has been alleged by some that the FC Barcelona players were pressured into losing the game and even Pineyro resigned in protest. The rivalry with Madrid was exacerbated significantly in the 1950s by the dispute over Alfredo Di Stéfano.

After the Spanish Civil War, the Catalan language and flag were banned and football clubs were prohibited from using non-Spanish names. These measures led to the club having its name forcibly changed to Club de Fútbol Barcelona and the removal of the Catalan flag from the club shield. During the Franco era one of the few places that Catalan could be spoken freely was within the club's stadium. Despite these restrictions, CF Barcelona enjoyed considerable success during the 1940s and 1950s.

In 1945, with Josep Samitier as coach and players like César, Ramallets and Velasco, they won La Liga for first time since 1929. They added two more titles in 1948 and 1949. In 1949 they also won the first Copa Latina. Coach Fernando Daucik and Ladislao Kubala, regarded by many as the club's best ever player, inspired the team to five different trophies including La Liga, the Copa del General*****, the Copa Latina and the Copa Eva Duarte in 1952. In 1953 they helped the club win La Liga and the Copa del General***** again. The club also won the Copa del General***** in 1957 and the Fairs Cup in 1958.

With Helenio Herrera as coach, a young Luis Suárez, the European Footballer of the Year in 1960, and two influential Hungarians recommended by Kubala, Sándor Kocsis and Zoltán Czibor, the team won another national double in 1959 and a La Liga/Fairs Cup double in 1960. In 1961 they became the first club to beat Real Madrid in a European Cup game, thus ending their monopoly of the competition.

The 1960s were less successful for the club, with Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid monopolising La Liga. The completion of the Camp Nou, finished in 1957, meant the club had little money to spend on new players. However the decade also saw the emergence of Josep Fusté and Carles Rexach and the club winning the Copa del General***** in 1963 and the Fairs Cup in 1966. Barça restored some pride by beating Real Madrid 1-0 in the 1968 Copa del General***** final at the Bernabéu. The club changed its official name back to Futbol Club Barcelona in 1974.

The Arrival of Cruyff

The 1973/74 season saw the arrival of a new Barça legend – Johan Cruyff. Already an established player with Ajax, Cruyff quickly won over the Barça fans when he told the European press he chose Barça over Real Madrid because he could not play for a club associated with Franco. He further endeared himself when he chose a Catalan name, Jordi, for his son. He helped the club win La Liga for the first time since 1960, along the way defeating Real Madrid 5-0 at the Bernabéu. He was also crowned European Footballer of the Year twice in a row while at club.

The Nuñez years

1978-1988

Josep Lluís Nuñez was elected president of FC Barcelona in 1978. His main objectives were to establish Barça as a world-class sports club and to give the club financial stability.

In 1979 and 1982 the club won two of four European Cup Winners' Cups won in the Nuñez era. In 1982 Diego Maradona was signed for a world record fee from Boca Juniors. However his time with Barça was short-lived and unsuccessful and he soon left for Napoli. In 1985 under Terry Venables Barça won La Liga and in 1986 he took the team to their second European Cup final, only to lose on penalties to Steaua Bucuresti.

The Dream Team

In 1988 Johan Cruyff returned to the club as manager, assembling the so-called Dream Team, named after the US basketball team that played at the 1992 Summer Olympics hosted by Barcelona. He introduced players like Josep Guardiola, José Mari Bakero, Txiki Beguiristáin, Goikoetxea, Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Romário and Hristo Stoichkov. This team won La Liga four times between 1991 and 1994 and beat Sampdoria in both the 1989 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final and the 1992 European Cup final at Wembley. They also won a Copa del Rey in 1990, the European Super Cup in 1992 and three Supercopa de España. With 11 trophies, Cruyff has been the club's most successful manager to date. He is also the club's longest serving manager. However, in his final two seasons, he failed to win any trophies and fell out with Josep Lluís Nuñez. This resulted in his departure.

1996-2000

Cryuff was briefly replaced by Bobby Robson who took charge of the club for a single season in 1996/97. He recruited Ronaldo from his previous club, PSV Eindhoven and delivered a cup treble winning the Copa del Rey, UEFA Cup Winners Cup and the Supercopa de España. Among Robson’s non-playing staff was José Mourinho, who assisted with training and acted as translator.

Despite his success, Robson was only ever seen as a short-term solution while the club waited for Louis van Gaal to become available. Like Maradona, Ronaldo only stayed a short time and he left for Internazionale. However, new heroes such as Luís Figo, Luis Enrique and Rivaldo emerged and the team won a Copa del Rey/La Liga double in 1998. In 1999 they retained the La Liga title and Rivaldo became the fourth Barça player to be awarded European Footballer of the Year. Despite this domestic success, the failure to emulate Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League led to Van Gaal and Nuñez resigning in 2000.

Gaspart Years (2000-2003)

The departures of Nuñez and Van Gaal were nothing compared to that of Luís Figo. As well as club captain, Figo had become a cult hero and was considered by Catalans to be one of their own. It is widely believed that his dislike of the new president, Joan Gaspart, triggered his departure for arch-rivals Real Madrid. The Barça fans were distraught by Figo’s decision to join Real and during subsequent visits to the Camp Nou Figo was given an extremely hostile reception, including one occasion when a pig's head was thrown at him from the crowd. The next three years saw the club in decline and managers came and went, including a short second spell by Louis van Gaal. Gaspart did not inspire confidence off the field either and in 2003 he and Van Gaal resigned.

The Current Era

After the disappointment of the Gaspart era, a combination of a new young president Joan Laporta and a relatively young new manager Frank Rijkaard saw the club bounce back. On the field an influx of talented players, such as Ronaldinho, Deco, Ludovic Giuly, and Samuel Eto'o, and experienced professionals, such as Henrik Larsson, Rafael Márquez and Giovanni van Bronckhorst combined with a nucleus of home grown players, Carles Puyol, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi, Lionel Messi and Víctor Valdés saw the club return to success. Barça won La Liga/Supercopa de España doubles in both 2005 and 2006. In 2006 they also won the UEFA Champions League.

For the 2006/07 season the Barça team has been reinforced with the arrival of Eidur Gudjohnsen, Gianluca Zambrotta, Lilian Thuram and the returning Javier Saviola.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

International trophies

* UEFA Champions League: 3
o 1992, 2006, 2009

* UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 4
o 1979, 1982, 1989, 1997

* European Super Cup: 2
o 1992, 1997

* Inter-Cities Fairs Cup: 3
o 1958, 1960, 1966

Spanish trophies

* La Liga Champions: 19
o 1929, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1959, 1960, 1974, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2009

* Copa del Rey: 25
o 1910, 1912, 1913, 1920, 1922, 1925, 1926, 1928, 1942, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1957, 1959, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1997, 1998, 2009

* Supercopa de España: 7
o 1983, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2006

Catalan trophies

* Copa Macaya/Catalan Champions: 22
o 1902, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1913, 1916, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938

* Copa Catalunya: 5
o 1991, 1993, 2000, 2004, 2005

Others

* Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Trophy Play-Off: 1
o 1971

* La Liga del Mediterráneo: 1
o 1937

* Copa Latina: 2
o 1949, 1952

* Copa de la Liga: 2
o 1983, 1986

PinoleroNicoya

Potential Star
Registered
This is extremely Euro-centric, don't forget the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues. Where do you think all these South American players who play in Europe come from?

Copa Libertadores(Champions League of South America):

maradona.jpg

Maradona with Boca Juniors

ronaldo_psv-205.jpg

Ronaldo with Cruzeiro

ronaldinho(gremio).jpg

Ronaldinho with Gremio

Gye78

International
International Member
Man Fuck Soccer... Pussy ass sport

Why's it a pussy ass sport you fat fuck? Do you reckon you could play for 90 minutes, without coughing up you guts. Fuck me ignorance really is bliss.

Its a football thread, dont like it piss off out you wanker.