May 16, 2022 7:08pm
Updated

2022 ‘Sports Illustrated Swimsuit' Covers

0:06
/
1:30

play-button.png

MORE ON:SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
A controversial clinical psychologist and YouTuber has some thoughts on model Yumi Nu’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover.
Dr. Jordan Peterson quote-tweeted The Post’s story on the plus-size model’s cover debut Monday, writing, “Sorry. Not beautiful. And no amount of authoritarian tolerance is going to change that.”
“’Authoritarian’? Chunky women on magazine covers? You sound like a parody of you,” one Twitter user — of many — challenged the best-selling author.
“It’s a conscious progressive attempt to manipulate & retool the notion of beauty, reliant on the idiot philosophy that such preferences are learned & properly changed by those who know better,” Peterson responded, with two links to scientific studies on attractiveness.
00:0201:30

1_th.jpg
Dr. Jordan Peterson and Yumi Nu Dr. Jordan Peterson deemed curvy model Yumi Nu’s Sports Illustrated Swim cover “not beautiful” in a tweet on Monday.Toronto Star via Getty Images; James Macari/SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
“But don’t let the facts stop you,” he finished.
The Canadian best-selling author of “12 Rules For Life” is known to his nearly 5 million YouTube subscribers as a conservative intellectual who shared his views on cultural and political issues.
The Post has reached out to Peterson’s attorney for comment.

Social media commenters strongly reacted to his comments, with some telling the intellectual to read up on the history of beauty standards.
“Standards of beauty change over time. Plus you posted two studies that don’t substantiate your point,” one user wrote.
“He’s always been a parody of an ‘intellectual’ psychologist, dummies,” another said.

“These authoritarians are forcing us to accept people as they are… What a hellscape,” another user commented.

Still, some seemed to agree with at least some of Peterson’s criticism by honing in on Nu’s plus-size physique.
“Lets be honest. She is beautiful. Heavy set.. but still beautiful,” another chimed in.
“On the real bros… if she dropped the extra pounds, she’d be a 10,” one said.
“She is beautiful, but I’d prefer being in a little bit better shape, especially being on a cover of a mag in a swimsuit. But no doubt beautiful & decent proportions,” another wrote.

Twitch streamer HasanAbi responded with a less-than-flattering picture of Peterson alongside the psychologist’s caption. Users blasted him for the photo, however, saying it was taken at a low point in Peterson’s life.

What do you think? Post a comment.
Nu, a curvy Asian model, told The Post that she thought she was walking into a weekly meeting with her agent when a camera crew surprised her with the cover.
“I could not speak. I had full-body chills. I was shaking, I was crying. They really got me good,” said Nu.
“It’s amazing. I’m on cloud nine. This is nothing I could prepare for. It’s unexpected,” she continued. “I feel like we’re in a place right now where people are making space for more diversity on magazine covers. It’s a big time for Asian American people in media. I know I play a big role in representation in body diversity and race diversity, and I love to be a role model and representative of the plus-size Asian community.”

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Notice how the right is equating authoritarianism with tolerance. We know the right are the ones marching toward totalitarianism and tolerance is one of the words they lump in with woke. They're turning the narrative around and attempting to accuse people of exactly what they're doing.

BTW, she's no great beauty but it seems SI is dedicated to putting all types of people on their swimsuit issue, so whatever.

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
So, this’s BGOL. The only question is would you invest the time to help her explore for her “G Spot”?

parisian

International
International Member
Notice how the right is equating authoritarianism with tolerance. We know the right are the ones marching toward totalitarianism and tolerance is one of the words they lump in with woke. They're turning the narrative around and attempting to accuse people of exactly what they're doing.

BTW, she's no great beauty but it seems SI is dedicated to putting all types of people on their swimsuit issue, so whatever.

listen to this man

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Another reason why we can't quite "trust" the Right either. "Woke" - that word is like nails raking across a chalk board to me now.

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The crazy thing is, the woke crowd would never put some beer belly dude on the front of a magazine cover with his swimsuit on, and then argue that he is a handsome man.

This world is getting crazier and crazier.
Hmm... :hmm: :hmm: That maybe true too.

tebriel69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She's fat, and that's cool, but shit like this reminds me of that whole Oprah "I love myself as I am!" bullshit. It gives people an excuse not to take care of themselves.
Yea that’s the only issue I have with it. Body acceptance is great. But carrying too much weight on your body isn’t good for u. It’s just science. But society only follows science when they feel like it. Good for her tho.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
SI Swimsuit cover model critic Jordan Peterson quits Twitter after backlash: ‘Bye for now’
By
Samantha Ibrahim
May 17, 2022 8:44am
Updated

SI Swimsuit cover model critic Jordan Peterson quits Twitter after backlash: ‘Bye for now’

play-button.png

Close
“Bye for now.”
Dr. Jordan Peterson — who was called out for shaming the newest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model, Yumi Nu, in controversial tweets on Monday — has bailed on Twitter.
The University of Toronto professor emeritus announced he was leaving the social media platform, where he has nearly 3 million followers — just hours after the uproar.
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE - NOVEMBER 02: Portrait of Jordan Peterson at The Cambridge Union on November 02, 2018 in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. (Photo by Chris Williamson/Getty Images) Author Jordan Peterson decided to bail on Twitter after receiving hate for criticizing model Yumi Nu.Getty Images
While his account is still active, the 59-year-old wrote he will be “departing” the Twitterverse following the backlash he got for hating on Nu’s magazine photo shoot.
00:1301:39

1_th.jpg

“The endless flood of vicious insult is really not something that can be experienced anywhere else,” the “12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos” author tweeted Monday night. “I like to follow the people I know but I think the incentive structure of the platform makes it intrinsically and dangerously insane.”
While his account is still active, Peterson said he has instructed his staff to keep him off social media.
“I told my staff to change my password, to keep me from temptation and am departing once again,” he added. “If I have something to say I’ll write an article or make a video. If the issue is not important enough to justify that then perhaps it would be best to just let it go.”
In his last tweet, Peterson concluded that he plans “to write an article on the technical reasons that Twitter is maddening us all very soon. Bye for now.”

On Monday, fans came at Peterson after he quote-tweeted The Post’s story on Nu’s cover debut, penning, “Sorry. Not beautiful. And no amount of authoritarian tolerance is going to change that.”
“’Authoritarian’? Chunky women on magazine covers? You sound like a parody of you,” one Twitter user responded to the Canadian native.
“It’s a conscious progressive attempt to manipulate & retool the notion of beauty, reliant on the idiot philosophy that such preferences are learned & properly changed by those who know better,” the father of two shot back, alongside two articles about scientific studies on attractiveness. “But don’t let the facts stop you,” he said.
Other users were unhappy with his comments and told him to immerse himself in the history of beauty standards.
2022 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue only, Nu graces the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, out on newsstands on May 19.James Macari/SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
What do you think? Post a comment.
“Standards of beauty change over time. Plus you posted two studies that don’t substantiate your point,” one commenter explained.
“He’s always been a parody of an ‘intellectual’ psychologist, dummies,” another said.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Yumi Nu Shares How She Embraces Her Body and Culture As An Asian American Woman

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit

1.46M subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
Yumi Nu talks about how beauty is really how you make other people feel. As a mixed race woman, Yumi has struggled with cultural identity and body image. When she was growing up she had shame about being Asian and being plus sized, however as she got older she began to accept herself. Now as a plus size model, she is working to represent girls and women who see themselves in her. Watch this episode of our “Beauty Evolution” series to hear from Yumi on her body image journey. See more of Yumi here: https://swimsuit.si.com/swimsuit/mode...

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
People are outraged for recreational purposes, who really gives a fuck? I've never cared who's on the cover of SI, no one buys it anymore. This feels like a manufactured controversy to attract more eyes to an aging magazine. Next year it'll be an autistic lady with triple Ds that identifies as a donkey.