'Shaft' Reboot Casts 'Independence Day' Actor Jessie T. Usher

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shit man tell Rihanna team that because she stay getting put in flops lol.

Rihanna gets roles because she's Rihanna, not because she can act. She gets just enough screen time to lure in her fans. Nobody has made her the star of a movie yet.

You dont know that. Either way... im glad to see him get a job.

I don't know but I know Black actors rarely get multiple opportunities to prove themselves like white actors. I'm not against the dude, hopefully they'll come up with a better script than last time.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rihanna gets roles because she's Rihanna, not because she can act. She gets just enough screen time to lure in her fans. Nobody has made her the star of a movie yet.

I don't know but I know Black actors rarely get multiple opportunities to prove themselves like white actors. I'm not against the dude, hopefully they'll come up with a better script than last time.

I know why she gets roles.....i'm saying tell her because she stay in flops. Every movie she been in has been a flop.

shamone

Rising Star
OG Investor
Damn....:lol:

Yeah from the previews.....I didn't see him doing much. He doesnt' do much on Survivors Remorse....he does a good enough job.
mike epps was funny on that show. come to think of it, the whole family was more interesting on the show than him.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know why she gets roles.....i'm saying tell her because she stay in flops. Every movie she been in has been a flop.

Battleship and Valerian are huge flops but Rihanna really hasn't been in that many movies. I get what you're saying though. She probably could have gotten parts in some of the bigger movies this year, but I'm guessing her screen time would have been a lot smaller than what she got in Valerian. I actually think this Shaft movie would be a good fit for her. They could do some type of Bodyguard story. A pop star in trouble needs a private eye's help with blackmailers or whatever.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is kind of a big deal. Netflix keeps its metrics private, but this suggests there's demand for Black content and not just in the United States. :yes::yes::yes:

https://deadline.com/2017/10/shaft-...-roundtree-tim-story-kenya-barris-1202180532/

Netflix Makes ‘Shaft’ Reboot Deal That Could Change The Model For Urban-Themed Films

EXCLUSIVE: Leave it to the franchise featuring the coolest private eye to come up with an inventive way of potentially changing the model for how certain urban-themed movie get financed and distributed. Sources say that New Line and Netflix are nearly closed on the untitled Shaft reboot. Netflix will pay more than half the film’s high $30 million budget, in exchange for international rights and the ability to put the film on its streaming outside the U.S. two weeks after New Line releases theatrically in the United States. The film will begin production in December.

New Line and Netflix were not commenting, but sources said the film will follow a traditional domestic roll out from theatrical to SVOD and DVD through the Warner Bros machine. That ought to spare the film from becoming an issue for theater chains that try to make the film wait 90 days to exploit ancillary markets. But the acceleration of availability to ancillary overseas is a major wrinkle in the back and forth as film companies try to shrink theatrical windows.

The deal, which has been in the works for the past several weeks, can be a useful template for makers of urban-themed or genre fare that normally does most of its theatrical business in the United States. What the deal does in particular for the untitled movie is, it gives director Tim Story more money to make the film than he otherwise would have gotten from New Line.

For Netflix, the deal will give its international membership a film that is still hot in the U.S. While there are exceptions, urban themed films turn the bulk of profit in the U.S. The recent summer sleeper, the $19 million Girls Trip, grossed a robust $115 million domestic, and has generated an extra $20 million offshore. This despite the fact that many movies rely on overseas for 75% of their global box office gross.

The Shaft reboot has a script by black-ish creator Kenya Barris, and will star Samuel L. Jackson in the role of John Shaft, who in 2000 played the nephew of the New York City private eye first seen in the Gordon Parks-directed 1971 action classic. Independence Day: Resurgence and Staz’ Survivor’s Remorse star Jessie T. Usher is set to play Shaft’s son, this after a long search to fill a potential star making role. He will play a young cyber expert FBI agent who, despite being estranged from his father, is forced to work with him on a case. It becomes a collision between old school and new school. Richard Roundtree is also expected to reprise his iconic role, as he did in the John Singleton-directed 2000 film.

The Shaft reboot is produced by Davis Entertainment’s John Davis and Barris.

CAA and MGMT Entertainment rep Usher; Story is repped by UTA and Barris by CAA and Principato-Young. Jackson is ICM Partners and Anonymous Content and Stone Manners Salsners Agency and Patrick McMinn Management rep Roundtree.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ks-join-samuel-l-jackson-shaft-reboot-1060451

gettyimages-861974658_copy_-_h_2017.jpg

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Why do we need another Shaft? :confused:

Goddamn I hate hollywood.... lazy, unimaginative fucks smh. Tired of all these reboots. Make something new bitches

smz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This kid is a TERRIBLE actor. Cringeworthy. Atrocious. Laughably bad.

But props to his agent though for the repeated bookings :lol:

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How many remakes ever come close to being as good as the original? Some movies should never be remade. Richard Roundtree's Shaft is one. :hmm:

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
They already fucked up the remake once, just leave it alone.

That was NOT a remake, it was another sequel. The original Shaft was in there. Sam was Shaft's nephew.

He is NOT good on Survivor's Remorse. The show is only good because they have good actors all around him carrying him. He is by far the weakest actor on there.

True. But he is young, tall, handsome and light skinned enough for them to keep the camera on. I hate to say it but that's all they care about. If he would eat some damn food and bulk up, his career would have another leg to stand on. And possibly some more token roles in action adventure flicks.

It says Sam Jackson is in negotiations for the role and the guy Jessie will be his son. So don't see nothing wrong with that. Don't think Jessie could carry the lead but of course Sam J can.

I just don't see it. I'm trying. I liked the Shaft 2000. The script was shoddy at times but it was fun and retro and Singleton filmed some good scenes to carry the thin plot. I really like Peoples Hernandez though, he just totally stole any screentime he had, even against the young Bale.

I just don't see this going down right ANY which way they are trying to head.

It also says the story will center around his son......that is not a good idea at all.

This shit has Hollywood written all over it. Some rich idiot was just sitting around the house one day and came up with this story. Nobody asked for no damn story about Shafts son. You would've done better rebooting the story or just making a sequel around Shaft.

Yup. This is STILL a sequel I'm assuming. They are not recasting the original Shaft role for anyone else.

How many remakes ever come close to being as good as the original? Some movies should never be remade. Richard Roundtree's Shaft is one. :hmm:

Not a remake. I don't think.

And you're still right. There are two remakes better than the original - The Thing and Scarface. That's it.

oNE

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
True. But he is young, tall, handsome and light skinned enough for them to keep the camera on. I hate to say it but that's all they care about. If he would eat some damn food and bulk up, his career would have another leg to stand on. And possibly some more token roles in action adventure flicks.

And you're still right. There are two remakes better than the original - The Thing and Scarface. That's it.

oNE

You're right.... And I hate it.... He's the only one of us in Hollywood with the look.... Which is more than we can say for white people.... They gotta import their guys from Australia and the U.K. now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum was hot shit, my dude.... don't forget that one.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That was NOT a remake, it was another sequel. The original Shaft was in there. Sam was Shaft's nephew.

I just don't see it. I'm trying. I liked the Shaft 2000. The script was shoddy at times but it was fun and retro and Singleton filmed some good scenes to carry the thin plot. I really like Peoples Hernandez though, he just totally stole any screentime he had, even against the young Bale.

I just don't see this going down right ANY which way they are trying to head.

Yup. This is STILL a sequel I'm assuming. They are not recasting the original Shaft role for anyone else.

Not a remake. I don't think.

oNE

Forgot The Departed and Ocean's Eleven.... if we're being thorough.

hocjo2626

Horace C. Jones II
Registered
Fuck the negative criticism, any black joints that don't feed into the typical black stereotypes has my support 100%. Especially if it's a powerful role.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
You're right.... And I hate it.... He's the only one of us in Hollywood with the look.... Which is more than we can say for white people.... They gotta import their guys from Australia and the U.K. now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum was hot shit, my dude.... don't forget that one.

Forgot The Departed and Ocean's Eleven.... if we're being thorough.

SHIT. You're right. I dunno what I was thinking about Infernal Affairs was my shit, but when I seen The Departed and the changes they made, I fell in love with that film. The script is badass too. One of my other favorite remakes is The Fly and The Thing.

Sometimes it does work, as I say, it depends on who the main talent is surrounded by.

oNE