'Shaft' Reboot Casts 'Independence Day' Actor Jessie T. Usher

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Despite some great performances from Christian Bale and Jeffery Wright, the first season of Luke Cage was more like Shaft than the 2000 movie. :smh:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...independence-day-actor-jessie-t-usher-1029843

Independence Day star Jessie T. Usher is in talks to star in New Line's Shaft sequel, Son of Shaft.

Tim Story, director of Kevin Hart: What Now? and Ride Along 2, will helm the new film. Sources say the story will center on Usher's character, who is the son of John Shaft. Samuel L. Jackson is in negotiations to return for the new film.

Kenya Barris and Alex Barnow wrote the script, and Barris is producing with John Davis and Ira Napoliello.

The first Shaft movie hit theaters in 1971 and starred Richard Roundtree as the private detective who is hired to rescue a Harlem mobster’s kidnapped daughter. The film was a box office hit for MGM, earning $13 million, and the theme song won the Oscar for best original score. The film was added to the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2000.

There were two sequels, Shaft’s Big Score (1972) and Shaft in Africa (1973), along with the 2000 sequel, also called Shaft, which starred Samuel L. Jackson as the nephew of the original John Shaft.

Usher, who stars on the TV series Survivor's Remorse (the fourth season will premiere Aug. 20), is a rising star who was most recently seen in the reboot Independence Day: Resurgence (playing the son of Will Smith’s character) and hit ensemble comedy Almost Christmas. He’s wrapped work on thriller Ride with Bella Thorne and the indie drama Stronghold, which he also produced. He’s repped by CAA and MGMT Entertainment.

Last edited:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
original.gif

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
It says Sam Jackson is in negotiations for the role and the guy Jessie will be his son. So don't see nothing wrong with that. Don't think Jessie could carry the lead but of course Sam J can.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think dude is a good actor....I think with this role you expect someone older and who looks the part. Not some CW version of Shaft. But I'm gonna see how this plays out. Wish them the best but I don't think this ends well.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
The Survivors Remorse cat??? I like to support my folks (I DVR "Marlon"), but this dude can't act to me.

Reactions: smz

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It says Sam Jackson is in negotiations for the role and the guy Jessie will be his son. So don't see nothing wrong with that. Don't think Jessie could carry the lead but of course Sam J can.
It also says the story will center around his son......that is not a good idea at all.

This shit has Hollywood written all over it. Some rich idiot was just sitting around the house one day and came up with this story. Nobody asked for no damn story about Shafts son. You would've done better rebooting the story or just making a sequel around Shaft.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Survivors Remorse cat??? I like to support my folks (I DVR "Marlon"), but this dude can't act to me.
I think he can act he just comes off as a 16 year old to me. I can't see him acting in shit other than being someone kid. I didn't see Independence Day though so maybe he killed it there.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
It also says the story will center around his son......that is not a good idea at all.

This shit has Hollywood written all over it. Some rich idiot was just sitting around the house one day and came up with this story. Nobody asked for no damn story about Shafts son. You would've done better rebooting the story or just making a sequel around Shaft.
Let's hope someone kidnaps his son and Shaft is getting him like another Taken.

Crossing fingers, lol