Say goodbye to Blockbuster

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
Say goodbye to Blockbuster​

It looks like the bottom has finally fallen out of Blockbuster. After numerous failed attempts at attracting new customers, the company is finally spiraling out of control.

Sad as it is, the end is near for Blockbuster, and all that pressure it has been placing on Netflix will be lifted.

And in the end, Netflix will be left standing to fight another day.

Although Blockbuster tried everything it could to create a compelling reason for us to use the service, the company could not overcome its downfall. For years, it was hated by those people who saw it as a monolithic organization that enjoyed charging exorbitant late fees and had little or no care of what the customers wanted most. So when Netflix offered an entirely new service, the dynamics of the industry was inexorably changed, and Blockbuster was left playing catch up.

According to the company's third-quarter results released Thursday, Blockbuster's revenue slid 5.7 percent and the company harbored a net loss of $35 million. Worse, it has closed 526 stores in the past year, and the number of employees will be reduced to offset high overhead costs to the tune of $45 million. Blockbuster's injured stock price continues to fall and was priced at $5.06 at Thursday's close.

But if that's not enough to signal defeat, Blockbuster Chairman Jim Keyes admitted that his company's focus on Netflix was damaging and has decided to pull the plug on his demand for higher Total Access membership. Instead, he wants Blockbuster to focus on increasing overall membership.

Sorry, Jim, but I think you're out of luck.

Much like the print media and retail stores refusing to change, Blockbuster has been a victim on an online company finding new and inventive ways of bringing a product to a customer. And due to its size and outdated corporate culture, there really is no salvation for Blockbuster at this point. Try as it might, the future of Blockbuster is bleak, at best.

Sure, the company still enjoys revenue that climb into the billions of dollars, but with an ever-increasing net loss and a public refusal to focus on Total Access--the area where Netflix continues to dominate--what is the impetus for us to jump on the Blockbuster bandwagon?

Simply put, Blockbuster is doomed. And while many of us have known it for a while now, it's amazing to me that the chairman of the company admitted this in a not-so subtle way, as well.

For Blockbuster, there is currently no prospect for growth. Not only is it incapable of breaking the Netflix shell, the brick-and-mortar stores are failing, and there is little chance it will be able to capitalize on the future of movie rentals--downloading.

The way I see it, Blockbuster has two options: sell off the company as soon as possible or spend huge sums of cash on research and development and strategic partnerships with distribution companies to make downloading movies a viable alternative to Netflix.

But unfortunately, I simply don't see this happening. I think Blockbuster will try to stay the course in the hopes it can find a way out. It won't.

I'll give it two years before this company goes under.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9809950-1.html

Radeon

Star
Registered
Hell nah, was having alot of fun with these free 1 month rentals. :lol: We have Blockbuster & Hollywood video (closed down about a 2-weeks ago) around here.

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
WHY PAY TO DOWNLOAD FROM BLOCKBUSTER, WHEN YOU CAN ALWAYS DOWNLOAD FOR FREE.
ALSO...IM NOT PAYING COMCAST 120+ DOLLARS A MONTH FOR NOTHING.
SINCE I GOT MY COMPUTER AND VIDEO CARD...I DONT RENT ANYMORE ANYWAYS.
THE ONLY TIME I WOULD RENT IS IF IT WAS SOMETHING REAL OLD THAT I COULDNT FIND ONLINE.
AND USUALLY I HAVE TO GO TO THE MOM AND POP VIDEO STORES TO FIND THAT
...YEP ITS OVER FOR EM

All they had to do was allow downloadable movies.

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
WHY PAY TO DOWNLOAD FROM BLOCKBUSTER, WHEN YOU CAN ALWAYS DOWNLOAD FOR FREE.
ALSO...IM NOT PAYING COMCAST 120+ DOLLARS A MONTH FOR NOTHING.
SINCE I GOT MY COMPUTER AND VIDEO CARD...I DONT RENT ANYMORE ANYWAYS.
THE ONLY TIME I WOULD RENT IS IF IT WAS SOMETHING REAL OLD THAT I COULDNT FIND ONLINE.
AND USUALLY I HAVE TO GO TO THE MOM AND POP VIDEO STORES TO FIND THAT
...YEP ITS OVER FOR EM

Well there are lots of people who are against piracy. There are also lots of people that only have basic cable so they rent movies when they want.

I've been using movielink.com for years watching movies at my job.

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
Well there are lots of people who are against piracy. There are also lots of people that only have basic cable so they rent movies when they want.

I've been using movielink.com for years watching movies at my job.

that is the true

lots of people at work are the same way, trying to instill values in their kids stopped pirating completely

some have no cable

O.Red

Star
Registered
I know its not just Netflix, because I stay at that RedBox
img5e7c7a14zik2zj.jpeg

SuperBoy

Star
Registered
Knock Knock,

Who's there?

Net Flix

NetFlix who?

The Net fixed your ass... Bitch -we don't rent shit we download it...
:lol:

Bye Bye Blockbuster
blockbuster.gif

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
i stopped using netflix in 05 fuck vid rentals that what i pay my isp for - to be able to download bootleg shit fo free

blockbuster shouldnt be sad afterall they copped that $50 in late fees from me in the late 90s :hmm:

fuck em

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i stopped using netflix in 05 fuck vid rentals that what i pay my isp for - to be able to download bootleg shit fo free

blockbuster shouldnt be sad afterall they copped that $50 in late fees from me in the late 90s :hmm:

fuck em

The next moves for them should be to consolidate all of there movies from their closed stores, re-tool, re-organize, ad put more emphasis on coping Netflixs' business model.

Blockbuster lost me years ago after charging me $20 bucks because I was not kind and forgot to rewind. Damn who remembers that.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I havent rented a movie since like 02. People still do that, I go to the movies at least 3 times a month, and all I want to see Ive already seen once they hit dvd, and if I like em, Ill just buy em. Between me buyin the ones I want and my roommate still hitten up Juan the dvd man, I dont even notice Blockbuster anymore. Ohhwell fuck em, even back in the day, I was basically buying the movies if I was late a week anyway, so one day I said fuck and just cut out the middle man.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
The next moves for them should be to consolidate all of there movies from their closed stores, re-tool, re-organize, ad put more emphasis on coping Netflixs' business model.

Blockbuster lost me years ago after charging me $20 bucks because I was not kind and forgot to rewind. Damn who remembers that.
fuck bb they put countless small vid stores out of business and now theyre a dinosaur

9Fan

Potential Star
Registered
Fuck Blockbuster.

After screwing my ass over on late charges for movies I took back long before they were due, I told them to kiss my ass and went straight to Hollywood Video and never looked back.

3sacrowd

Support BGOL
Registered
No sadness here (except for employees out of a job).
Not many companies have been able to screw consumers as
royally as has bb.

heiesuke

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fuck em! When u fail to adapt u get left in the wake of evolution. Stupid fuckers coulda went down the online path eons b4 it did.

Andeyhollawho

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hate blockbuster. I always have. Too big and too damn unuseful. I got a little mom and pop I go too. The thing is...it's too damn far. Late charges out the ass. They have a deal where they start renting movies that come out on Tuesday like that Friday before release. They don't even rent me them shits! :lol:

SYDNEYSTREETZ

Star
Registered
FUK MAN...normally take my 2 date nite females too...fuk im goin to do now to kill time...

or burn my favorite flick...

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Naw, I don't think so (or I hope not). I've been using Netflix. Awesome service since they rent HD-DVD movies and also have streaming online movies.

Co-sign. Netflix has a winning formula as it found out that people can wait for a day to get a movie. We don't have to have the convenience of running out to grab a movie. People adjust to getting the movie mailed to em. I did. And we don't have to pay those stupid late fees.

-VG

Smakk

Star
Registered
I rent movies from blockbuster online.They should close down all of their stores or the ones that not doing so well and focus on the online rental program along with download able movies over the net.They would also make money if they came out with a hollywood/adult movie/games online rental program for a cheap monthly fee.They wouldn't have any competition.The people who run that company are stupid.