Say goodbye to Blockbuster

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
I can't bust on Blockbuster for being TOO generous. They dug a hole for themselves by offering FREE rentals with the in-store return of mailed rentals. That was an EXCEPTIONAL 2-for-1 deal (especially early on when they charged extremely low monthly prices for it, which they're now finally catching-up on), but they clearly shot themselves in the foot with it profit-wise long-term. But anyone who rents a lot is still making-out extremely well in the deal.

regulus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i live in a college neighborhood and blockbuster is so popular that we have two literall across the street from each other. They should scale down instead of shuting down.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Its a scenario of the incumbent not being able to adapt.

When a company becomes large, the focus is on being better incrementally in all the functions of the organization.

Little attention is paid to disruptive technologies.

An example of a company that was able to re-invent itself is Apple and its itunes product.

A good book that describes that scenario is "The Innovator's Dilemma".

It crosses all industries.

51MCARWGJ2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business

At the heart of The Innovator's Dilemma is how a successful company with established products keeps from being pushed aside by newer, cheaper products that will, over time, get better and become a serious threat.
Christensen writes that even the best-managed companies, in spite of their attention to customers and continual investment in new technology, are susceptible to failure no matter what the industry, be it hard drives or consumer retailing.
Succinct and clearly written, The Innovator's Dilemma is an important book that belongs on every manager's bookshelf. Highly recommended. --Harry C. Edwards --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

A good book to help in managing your career across companies by staying ahead of the loop................

and of course for the entrepreneurs

:yes::yes::yes:

Mr MajestiK

Rising Star
Registered
Hell nah, was having alot of fun with these free 1 month rentals. :lol: We have Blockbuster & Hollywood video (closed down about a 2-weeks ago) around here.

^^^I only feel sorry for all the in-store customer service staff who'll lose their jobs.:smh:

Blockbuster should've changed with the times.:smh:

Dude, what movie did your avvy come from? That Ass is crucial!:yes:

dlow

Rising Star
Registered
You do realize that this is a blog from some CNET site. No investment magazine has said sell no news stories have come out in support on this. Why are people so gullable?

BVF

Star
Registered
Me: You have The Mack?
BB: No
Me: Can you order it for me?
Me: Can I request to have it in the store?

OR

Me: The box for so and so is on the shelf but the movie hasn't been in for months
BB: It was rented and never returned
Me: Well can you get another one?
BB: No.....Can you bring the box to the counter for me?

I don't even live near that blockbuster anymore and I only kept the unlimited rental because my parents don't have cable and they use it....Both me and my mother has a netflix membership....She has the cheap one so she uses my online time to watch movies at work...

Blockbuster is done...

TREES

O.G.
BGOL Investor
THE E-MAIL

Hi ,

As a BLOCKBUSTER Total Accessâ„¢ subscriber, it's always easy to have the right movie during this holiday season with more than 75,000 titles, including great new releases like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

We know that during this busy time of year the convenience of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is especially important to you. Have your movies delivered right to your door. If you want new movies right away, exchange in-store*. And with free shipping both ways and no late fees, it's easy to enjoy all the movies you want for as long as you want.

To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment†will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your subscription plan will remain the same.

And now check out blockbuster.com where you can view exclusive footage from The Great Debaters, the much anticipated new movie starring Denzel Washington that opens in theaters on Christmas Day. This is just another example of how BLOCKBUSTER® is working to bring you exciting new entertainment features.

There are plenty of long winter nights ahead, so make sure that your Queue is filled with all the movies you want to watch next including new movie releases coming in January 2008, such as 3:10 to Yuma, The Game Plan and Saw IV.

Thanks for continuing to be a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscriber. It truly is the best entertainment value out there.

BLOCKBUSTER

Add these movies to your Queue or exchange for them at your participating neighborhood BLOCKBUSTER store.

Second increase in 6 months:angry::angry:, but I am killin em on the burning and returning 3 and getting 3 more in the store!!!! I got a ILL movie collection!! 6 extra large cd cases worth;)!