RIP Chucky Thompson.. Icon Legend Producer

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chucky Thompson, producer behind hits by Usher, Mary J. Blige, and the Notorious B.I.G., dies

"Both the music industry and the world has lost a titan," his representative said in a statement.
By Jolie Lash
August 09, 2021 at 04:49 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:48
10:10

Chucky Thompson, one of the producers who was part of Bad Boy Entertainment's in-house team in the 1990s (also known as Puffy's Bad Boy Hitmen), has died.
"It is with a very heavy heart that I can confirm the passing of Chucky Thompson," his representative Tamar Juda confirmed to EW in a statement on Monday.
"To anyone in his orbit, you know how generous he was with his energy, creativity, and love. Both the music industry and the world has lost a titan," the statement concluded.
Producer Chucky Thompson has died.

| CREDIT: KRIS CONNOR/GETTY IMAGES
Thompson had a hand in records from countless R&B and hip-hop acts such as Mary J. Blige, Faith Evans, the Notorious B.I.G., Usher, New Edition, TLC, Jennifer Lopez, SWV, Color Me Badd, Mya, and more, earning credits as either a producer or composer. His hits included the Notorious B.I.G.'s "Big Poppa," Faith Evans' "You Used to Love Me," and Nas' "One Mic."

Born in Washington, D.C., Thompson helped influence and create the distinctive sound of '90s hip-hop while working for Sean Puffy/Diddy/Love Combs' Bad Boy Records.
At 24, he got the green light to serve as a producer on Blige's 1994 album, My Life, thanks to Combs, and he recently appeared in the Amazon Prime Video documentary Mary J. Blige's My Life.
"I give lots of thanks to Puff and Mary for even trusting me because it was a brand-new situation," Thompson told Grammy.com in an interview shared on the website last month. "I didn't know Puff or Mary like that, but that one session for 'Be With You' allowed us to feel the energy. She came to me and Puff to ask if I'd like to do the full My Life album. Man, I wanted to do backflips when I heard her say that. It just lined up. Certain things are just life and God; that situation came from me being in the right place at the right time."
Thompson was nominated for a Grammy for Best R&B Album for My Life at the 38th annual Grammy Awards in 1996, and in the interview he reflected on how that nod deeply affected him.
"I'd just signed my deal at 24 years old," he recalled. "At that particular time for everybody, it was crazy energy around. We were working on B.I.G.'s next project, Mary's project, and not quite Faith Evans just yet, but she was in the room. Getting that Grammy nomination almost made me feel like anything was possible. It just solidified all of the things that were happening to me."

Young Guru, a producer, DJ, and record exec, mourned Thompson's loss on Instagram on Monday.
"There is nothing I can write that will take away this pain. I have to say RIP to my mentor, my big brother, the man who changed my life forever," he wrote. "You were the kindest person the world has ever seen. You were the most gifted musician I have ever been around. You treated me like family from day one. You made a point to the labels that I had to fly to New York with you on every session. You put me in rooms with Biggie. I will forever be in your debt and I will forever be your little brother. This one hurts so bad I can't even explain it. RIP @chucklife365 there will never be another you!!!! "

Thompson was reportedly enlisted to produce tracks for Diddy's upcoming album Off The Grid Volume 1, the rapper's first full-length album in 11 years, set for release this fall.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn.....underrated legend.....I use to see his name back when CD's was popping and in linear notes you'd see Chucky Thompson produced it...he rarely had a miss. Damn....REST IN PARADISE KING

I know people die everyday.......but its getting rough seeing people you grew up watching and listening to pass it seems like every week.

vandamation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I used to see Chucky at the Roosevelt Hotel Record Shows every month shopping for old vinyl back in the days. That dude was real humble for such a GIANT in the game.... and I do mean GIANT because Chucky was a big guy. Dude was a real cool person. May GoD BLeSsEd his soul... Rest in Paradise, CHUCKY

Salute

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Man that My Life Album was on rotation in every black household for a solid three straight years.

Hell, that album is still consistently played in my crib/car right now

Indeed. Straight R&B classic. There were NO misses on that album.

TitleProducer(s)
"Intro"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"Mary Jane (All Night Long)"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"You Bring Me Joy"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"Marvin Interlude"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"I'm the Only Woman"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"K. Murray Interlude"Nashiem Myrick, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"My Life"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"You Gotta Believe"Herb Middleton, Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"I Never Wanna Live Without You"Herb Middleton, Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"I'm Goin' Down"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs, Mark Ledford, Prince Charles Alexander
"My Life Interlude"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"Be with You"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"Mary's Joint"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"Don't Go"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"I Love You"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"No One Else"Mr. Dalvin
"Be Happy"Sean "Puffy" Combs, Poke

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

TitleProducer(s)
"I Never Wanna Live Without You"Herb Middleton, Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs
"I'm Goin' Down"Chucky Thompson, Sean "Puffy" Combs, Mark Ledford, Prince Charles Alexander
"No One Else"Mr. Dalvin

:smh: @ Puff bitch ass throwing his name on every got dam track for producer credits.

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

TitleProducer(s)
"No One Else"Mr. Dalvin

Straight up. All bangers

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Guru was actually my professor for a stint at Omega Studios back in the day (2001). He spoke so highly of Chucky and always said he was the one. He had him swing by the studio one day and Chucky was showing Lil Mo how it was done behind the mic.

I know Guru hurting like all of us in the DMV are.

Legend lost.

RIP King.

Yeah a lot of folks in the area is hurting over this one, dude was always cool as hell.

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
so this was the brother in the MJB documentary....damn....seemed so relaxed and a genius of a mind and creative influence in this game and could sing too...was background and on duet on a song on My Life album he produced...WOW.....rest easy brother...rest easy

Last edited:

kefta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is there a tribute link for him somewhere with all his production work compiled in one music file? That would be good.

smz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So sad, rest in peace brother. He also had a LOT of credits on tracks where he wasnt the main listed producer, esp playing keys on a lot of Puffy produced tracks.