Rare and very interesting photos

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Sara Forbes Bonetta Queen Victoria's goddaughter

Kl8J4HU.jpeg
Sara Forbes Bonetta, (born Omoba Aina; 1843 – 15 August 1880),[1] was a princess of the Egbado clan of the Yoruba people in West Africa who was orphaned during a war with the nearby Kingdom of Dahomey as a child, and later became enslaved to King Ghezo of Dahomey. In a remarkable twist of events, she was liberated from slavery by Captain Frederick E. Forbes of the British Royal Navy and became a goddaughter to Queen Victoria. She was married to Captain James Pinson Labulo Davies, a wealthy Lagos philanthropist.

Casca

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
81 years ago today, Benjamin O. Davis Sr. became the first African-American to rise to the rank of Brigadier General in the U.S.Army.

YWWR7QN.jpeg

He rose from a private after serving in the War with Spain in 1898 to eventually serve as a corporal, a squadron sergeant major, a second lieutenant, a lieutenant colonel in 1920, and colonel in 1930—all in military theaters and bases around the world. He earned the Bronze Star Medal and later, for four years, he taught as Professor of Military Science and Tactics at Tuskegee Institute in Alabama.

MyCW0V3.jpeg

During World War II, he worked as Assistant to The Inspector General for which he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal: “For exceptionally meritorious service to the Government in a duty of great responsibility from 1941–1944, as an Inspector of troop units in the field, and as special War Department consultant on matters pertaining to Negro troops.

vposUuZ.jpeg

The initiative, intelligence and sympathetic understanding displayed by him in conducting countless investigations concerning individual soldiers, troop units and other components of the War Department brought about a fair and equitable solution to many important problems which have since become the basis of far-reaching War Department policy. His wise advice and counsel have made a direct contribution to the maintenance of soldier morale and troop discipline and has been of material assistance to the War Department and to responsible commanders in the field of understanding personnel matters as they pertain to the individual soldier.”

EXd3cPT.jpeg

U0RN1SC.jpeg

He was the father of Air Force General Benjamin O. Davis Jr.
o6Wqs5i.jpeg

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
From right-to-left, Lloyd Bridges, Marlon Brando, Sammy Davis Jr., Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Joanne Woodward, Polly Bergen, Paul Newman, Reverend Ralph Abernathy & Anthony Franciosa. Photo taken at Burt Lancaster's home before a Civil Rights rally in June of 1963 in Los Angeles.

9lypf6so1zw71.jpg

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last edited:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
14682078_10154683048276204_2700913788250685630_o.jpg

Heather Hunter

Classic #TBT Muhammad Ali & I. When I was younger my step mother Marie use to take me to Ali training camp Deer Lake. She is dear friends with the family. My love for boxing and sports came from this incredible man. His words were always loving and inspiring. This pic was taking right before my birthday. He was about to have his is 3rd match with Joe Frazier October 1st, 1975. in Manila. I told him it was my birthday on October 1st, he says to me "I'm gonna whip his butt…