R.I.P. Virgil Abloh. Off-White founder and longtime Ye and Drake collaborator dies of Cancer at age 41

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The day he died. The off white website was locked. You couldn’t buy anything. All you could do was look at tribute. I love that.

Hermes is the only major fashion house not to give condolences. I will remember that.

You know you made it when Gucci and Prada show love to a Louis Vuitton designer.

Even Mercedes Benz gave a tribute. He did a collab with them but still.

jhold0u

Rising Star
Registered
The day he died. The off white website was locked. You couldn’t buy anything. All you could do was look at tribute. I love that.

Hermes is the only major fashion house not to give condolences. I will remember that.

You know you made it when Gucci and Prada show love to a Louis Vuitton designer.

Even Mercedes Benz gave a tribute. He did a collab with them but still.
#BOYCOTTHERMES

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
I hadn't heard of this brother. When I heard that he was a designer I thought... well you know. Then I saw he had a wife and family.

RIP young brother.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R.I.P to this extremely talented and influential brotha...

My wife and I spent our anniversary in Montreal one year. We stayed in Old Montreal, went out shopping one day and stopped at one of our favorite boutiques SSENSE - (about a 5 minute walk from our hotel)

we walked in and noticed that all three floors were bare with barely any merch on the shelves so we asked one of the associates "what was going on?". she mentioned to us that Virgil was gonna be there tomorrow DJ'ing, selling merch and they were recreating the whole store to mimic his design space in his old apartment. there was gonna be an afterparty and she gave us invites...said it was gonna start around 3pm. Sounded cool to us...I was kinda familiar with him at the time, my wife has a fashion background but wasn't really dialed into streetwear so she was less familiar...nevertheless we put it in the agenda for tomorrow.

Some of our friends came to visit us at the hotel for brunch early and after they left we decided to head down to see this Virgil exhibit at about 2:20 to beat the lineup.
As soon as we walk outside we feel this buzz and notice maad activity and a lineup of people about 3 rows deep going down the street....
We look at each other like "wtf?"
We turn the corner and see the lineup continued down the street going towards the Store (remember this shit's about a 5 min walk away)
shit was madness...
A car pulled up and Daniel ceaser and some other artist jumped out. My wife bumped into some fashionista chick she knew from NYC that flew down..all types of people ages, races, sizes, demographics....Sneakerheads, Fashionistas, Parents, aspiring rappers, Hipsters, Corporate professionals, groupies, Asians, french canadians, Sistas, Arabs, skater kids.....just a wide array of diverse people waiting in the sweltering heat in July during a heatwave just to catch a glimpse of this brotha.
At the end of the day we said fuck waiting in line for this shit...but in retrospect I wish we circled back and made another attempt to see him before he became an ancestor.

Rest In Power King

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
RIP

Y'all brothers make sure y'all got life insurance (not just through your job)

I know of three cats who died over the last two months including Charlie Murphy's son yesterday
what thats crazy what happened
his mom, then charlie and now his son that is crazy

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are you saying Virgil is minimalist?
He is anything but minimal.
Avante garde, disruptor, deconstructionist... anything but minimal.
His designs are in your face and over the top.

Nothing about him is "clean".

Off Court 3.0
The Ten
Off-White 1's
Converse Chuck's

It's just the clean look - the minimalistic play on the obvious is my design aesthetic and he made them.

Def going to go all Off-White December.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Are you saying Virgil is minimalist?
He is anything but minimal.
Avante garde, disruptor, deconstructionist... anything but minimal.
His designs are in your face and over the top.

Nothing about him is "clean".

We completely disagree.
And see his designs differently
And specifically I was talking about his shoes only nothing else.

When a shoe says "For walking" on it with a clean black silhouette that's clean to me. Not over the top

But that's just me.