Question for the atheist?

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered
Very good points. But I have a few questions:

1) Who/what defines universal truth?
2) I don't think QM is 'made up'. Maybe some of the different interpretations of the consequences of the results of observation and the mathematics. Unless, however, you're saying the math is made up?
3) What do you mean by "relatively objective?"

And thanks for chiming in man.

1) That's a good catch. I might be better to not have presumed a standard by saying "redefining truth" rather than "defining truth." But to the point, I have no clue who or what defines universal or absolute truth, as all beings I am acquainted with are finite. I think we do the best we can in the direction of truth by reference to things and concepts that can demonstrated outside our individual minds, checked by other conscious beings. I'm hesitant to reduce truth to the product of subjective consensus, but it does seem difficult to demonstrate truth as much more than that.

2) I wasn't calling QM made up. That was a reference to the use of uncertainties produced by QM to cloak otherwise made-up shit. (i.e. Deepak, The Secret gang, What the BLEEP Do We Know?, etc). Because we did not evolve in the quantum world, its seems silly to use elements of the uncertainty now observed there as in some way fundamental to our BIG truths and BIG lives.

3) I generally use "relatively objective" in this arena so that my use of "objective" does not suggest I think the methods or practitioners of science are perfectly objective.

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
1) That's a good catch. I might be better to not have presumed a standard by saying "redefining truth" rather than "defining truth." But to the point, I have no clue who or what defines universal or absolute truth, as all beings I am acquainted with are finite. I think we do the best we can in the direction of truth by reference to things and concepts that can demonstrated outside our individual minds, checked by other conscious beings. I'm hesitant to reduce truth to the product of subjective consensus, but it does seem difficult to demonstrate truth as much more than that.

I don't see how it's possible to define human "objectivity" as anything but subjective consensus. The same goes for things like truth and reality. Even the proofs in mathematics (considered by some as universal) and verifiability in science are based wholly on logical and empirical consistency, not on specific claims of reality.

This consistency is underscored in mathematics by "Hilbert's Second Problem" which asks for a proof that even the most basic arithmetic in math is consistent and non-contradictory. And the only way this can be done is based on set axioms or axiomatic systems "which contain an exact and COMPLETE description of the relations subsisting between the elementary ideas..." of the math, or science. Completeness being the essential criteria.
But, the second of Kurt Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems (which I already brought up in this thread but was waved off as "deep esoteric math theory") shows that you sacrifice completeness for consistency. In other words, you can never prove the consistency of an arithmetic within itself because that proof would be incomplete. You have to prove the axioms. The only way around this fundamental problem, some have argued, is by some meta-mathematics...that we're yet to know of, of course.

You see, this is basically the same problem of induction in science. And that's why falsifiability is required as a stronger validation of a theory. But even at that it's still based on consensus.

I personally think solipsism id bullshit and i'm not suggesting that consensus knowledge is worthless. My only intention in this whole thread was to expand the context in which discussions like this are had. That's all. At the end of the day, Science vs Religion is just a battle of the axioms. IMO.

2) I wasn't calling QM made up. That was a reference to the use of uncertainties produced by QM to cloak otherwise made-up shit. (i.e. Deepak, The Secret gang, What the BLEEP Do We Know?, etc). Because we did not evolve in the quantum world, its seems silly to use elements of the uncertainty now observed there as in some way fundamental to our BIG truths and BIG lives.

I agree. That documentary was just the Hollywood version of the implications of QM. Nothing more. I don't pay to much mind to QM sensationalists like Deepak and co. The mathematical formalisms of QM could care less of what philosophical interpretation people chose to make. If ones purpose is merely to provide some interpretation that sooths some philosophical predisposition, that's on them. How phenomena like the wave-particle duality and superposition of quantum states in the Double Slit Experiment is physically interpreted, nobody can say definitively. All we scientists can say is that formally (mathematically) QM is so far the broadest and empirically most successful theory in the history of all SCIENCE. That's it. But science isn't the only method of getting knowledge.
For me, WISDOM >>> KNOWLEDGE. But that's just me.

3) I generally use "relatively objective" in this arena so that my use of "objective" does not suggest I think the methods or practitioners of science are perfectly objective.

Cool. I wish more people could recognized and appreciate this too.

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
there is nothing "educated" about religion. it's a plain simple definition. "control"

you're arguing about how "controlled" you are.
i'm stating how i can think for myself without casper the friendly ghost guiding my hand.

if you really want to go back and forth let's discuss an actual "realistic" subject. like how about how one can create a self sustaining company with less then 500 bucks in 30 days. that's worth discussing/debating. talking about a zombie who rose from the dead who people psychically wish to at night before they goto sleep? :lol: i can only keep it at a simple level because that's what it is...."simple"

you and how you've been duped by the masses........hardly worth my time

and like i said before...you're trying to convince us, not the other way around:cool:

:rolleyes:

images

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
egzackly.
By the way, this was a hell of a thread. We had some pretty good discussions in here. I learnt some important stuff from JG's input too :yes:

Oh... and then there was this ....

the fact that he did all of that proves what i say all the time:

die hard jesus juice drinkers always resort to "trickery" or "parables" when they can't find a good enough answer to the question....

then again many nigerians are about the scam/con game....:rolleyes:

jakob-the-liar.jpg

:rolleyes:

:smh::smh::smh::smh:

GeeZnu

Rising Star
Registered
i still cant find anyone to answer this if u alls God is almighty all knowing Y did he create the devil ???

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
i still cant find anyone to answer this if u alls God is almighty all knowing Y did he create the devil ???
The devil?
Who do you mean by you alls? Christianity? Islam? Buddhism? Hinduism? Judaism? Voudou? Jainism? Sikhism? etc, etc, etc...

Count23

International
International Member
egzackly.
By the way, this was a hell of a thread. We had some pretty good discussions in here. I learnt some important stuff from JG's input too :yes:

word. appreciate the knowledge you dropped in here. shit I copped how brains think, and revolutions in science altho i dunno when I'ma get around to readin them :lol: btw did you ever get around to readin how the mind works?

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
word. appreciate the knowledge you dropped in here. shit I copped how brains think, and revolutions in science altho i dunno when I'ma get around to readin them :lol: btw did you ever get around to readin how the mind works?
Reading it right now... in between re-reading James Gleick's "Chaos" which I read as a teenager but it was abstract as fuck at the time .... but now ... :yes:

GeeZnu

Rising Star
Registered
The devil?
Who do you mean by you alls? Christianity? Islam? Buddhism? Hinduism? Judaism? Voudou? Jainism? Sikhism? etc, etc, etc...

to anyone that believes there is a heaven and hell Y would god create his exact opposite in a sense :confused::confused:

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
to anyone that believes there is a heaven and hell Y would god create his exact opposite in a sense :confused::confused:
Man created the concept of heaven and hell...right after he created the concept of a "God" ... along with every other bifurcation in nature ... including binary logic... and science. Based on our anthropology and psychology. Am I the only one that doesn't find this fascinating or remarkable?? :confused: :dunno:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Man created the concept of heaven and hell...right after he created the concept of a "God" ... along with every other bifurcation in nature ... including binary logic... and science. Based on our anthropology and psychology. Am I the only one that doesn't find this fascinating or remarkable?? :confused: :dunno:
I think it's awesome.

After seeing your perspective in not only this thread, I still have a few tiny nitpicks with you, but I actually agree, and have learned a bit from you. I think I mostly disagree with the fact that it came in THIS particular thread, so it misdrected me on where you were coming from, but whatever. I agree that science is a sort of abstraction as well.

I could be wrong but i think more folks are agnostic vs atheist.

I don't think the two are mutuaklly exclusive. Athiest is about lack of belief in a diety. Agnostic is lack of knowledge.

One can be an Athiest Agnostic. One could be a Theist Agnostic.

I would assume we are all agnostic, because no one knows anything, one way or the other, as it pertains to a creator or not, nahmean?

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
I think it's awesome.

After seeing your perspective in not only this thread, I still have a few tiny nitpicks with you, but I actually agree, and have learned a bit from you. I think I mostly disagree with the fact that it came in THIS particular thread, so it misdrected me on where you were coming from, but whatever. I agree that science is a sort of abstraction as well.
^^^
And this is all I've been trying to say from my very first post in page 3 of this thread of the "proof" that 1 + 1 = 0:

http://www.bgol.us/board/showpost.php?p=8352063&postcount=101

... which is a classic way to expose the fact that even the most fundamental mathematical logic is based on axioms, which themselves can't be proved and considered to be self-evident. A sort of presumed "consensus abstraction" ... so to speak. As ScorpDiesel showed when he stated this:

http://www.bgol.us/board/showpost.php?p=8372758&postcount=246

This apparently went way over the heads of pretty much everyone in this thread.

That being said, it shows character and "real" intelligence on your part for actually considering an angle that's 'seemingly' contradictory to what most would consider their hard-core immutable beliefs. I respect that.

Oh, and you can hit me with the "nit-picks". I'm curious ...

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
Hey atheists, just curious what you think about this talk by Sam Harris (fast forward past the first 4 minutes of gibberish)

Specifically, the last 20 minutes.

Deacs

Rising Star
Registered

From what I have been reading on the differences of European thought process and Eastern thought process, which includes African and Indian spirituality. With ETP placing their all on logic since Socrates and Plato stole the teachings of the Mystery schools of Egypt, planting the idea of pure logic and their ideal society, as well as the binary approach to their culture and beliefs [good/bad, monotheism/polytheism, civilized/savage, us/them, man/nature, oral traditions/written traditions]. The divisive strategy gained from the language and culture and activities.

Its simply hard to take the stance of observation of this, due to the fact that many of us are entrenched in the culture and unable to see how closed off our mind is to this environmental control.

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
From what I have been reading on the differences of European thought process and Eastern thought process, which includes African and Indian spirituality. With ETP placing their all on logic since Socrates and Plato stole the teachings of the Mystery schools of Egypt, planting the idea of pure logic and their ideal society, as well as the binary approach to their culture and beliefs [good/bad, monotheism/polytheism, civilized/savage, us/them, man/nature, oral traditions/written traditions]. The divisive strategy gained from the language and culture and activities.

Its simply hard to take the stance of observation of this, due to the fact that many of us are entrenched in the culture and unable to see how closed off our mind is to this environmental control.
Exactly what are you saying? Sorry, I don't quite get what you've said here. Observation of what?

Deacs

Rising Star
Registered
Exactly what are you saying? Sorry, I don't quite get what you've said here. Observation of what?

ok

[I]Man [/I]created the concept of heaven and hell...right after he created the concept of a "God" ... along with every other bifurcation in nature ... including binary logic... and science. Based on our anthropology and psychology. Am I the only one that doesn't find this fascinating or remarkable?? :confused: :dunno:

Socrates and Plato, who studied at the mystery schools of Egypt, gained knowledge and used it to create a new ideal through philosophy. They were also the first to document these teachings from the mystery schools which was considered sacrilege.. because they were supposed to be secret. Through their philosophy, as well as binary thought process concerning good and bad, ultimate morality through binary calculations, the ideal spread into other facets of life, but the contrast is one of the things readily seen in today's society and religions in association with western style thought... which are the 0/1 could be seen in our contrasting thought process when we look at our everyday themes

good vs bad, monotheism vs polytheism, civilized vs savage, us vs them, man vs nature, oral traditions vs written traditions, the synonyms for black and white.

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ok

Socrates and Plato, who studied at the mystery schools of Egypt, gained knowledge and used it to create a new ideal through philosophy. They were also the first to document these teachings from the mystery schools which was considered sacrilege.. because they were supposed to be secret. Through their philosophy, as well as binary thought process concerning good and bad, ultimate morality through binary calculations, the ideal spread into other facets of life, but the contrast is one of the things readily seen in today's society and religions in association with western style thought... which are the 0/1 could be seen in our contrasting thought process when we look at our everyday themes

good vs bad, monotheism vs polytheism, civilized vs savage, us vs them, man vs nature, oral traditions vs written traditions, the synonyms for black and white.

Honestly, the "mystery schools of Egypt" are a mystery.

JD Walker

Star
Registered
Hey atheists, just curious what you think about this talk by Sam Harris (fast forward past the first 4 minutes of gibberish)

Specifically, the last 20 minutes.

What a fuckin waste of time. I want my 5 minutes back. I don't give a fuck about a whiny crakkkas problems with labels. Don't you niggas have jobs? where in the fuck do you find time to watch this miscellaneous shit? The bottome line: You either believe in a delusion or you don't.

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
ok

OK. Gotcha. Remember this video: East vs West

Deacs

Rising Star
Registered
Honestly, the "mystery schools of Egypt" are a mystery.

Due to the oral tradition it maintained it's mystery and secrets... Until the foreigners started writing it down... Also, since their education was for the affluent and rich, it maintained it's secrecy from the dusty illiterate masses. Turned into a form of control... In another thread

let me take a look at the video

GeeZnu

Rising Star
Registered
To the Op , Is the bible your definition of a god ???

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk