Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
EdmontonCrown seeks 15-year prison term for Edmonton father who sexually abused 3 children
Social Sharing
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Reddit
  • LinkedIn
Retired lawyer Helmut Berndt to be sentenced next week

janice-johnston.jpg

Janice Johnston · CBC News · Posted: Jun 03, 2022 4:02 PM MT | Last Updated: June 3

helmut-berndt.jpg

Convicted sex abuser Helmut Berndt in undated photos. (Submitted by Juanita Falkingham)
Retired Edmonton lawyer Helmut Berndt will be sentenced next week for sexually abusing his three children over a 15-year period.
In April, a jury found Berndt, 73, guilty on five sex-related charges, including sexual assault, sexual interference and sexual exploitation. Berndt abused his two daughters and one son between 1986 and 2001.
Crown prosecutor Mark Huyser-Wierenga is seeking a 15-year prison term for what he described in court Friday as "the selfish criminality of the accused to sexually gratify himself."
He said Berndt victimized his innocent children "hundreds of times."
Defence lawyer Brian Beresh urged the court to impose a sentence of no more than eight years, taking into consideration his client's advanced age.
"The sentence proposed by the prosecution … would exceed my client's normal life expectancy or come very close to it," Beresh said.
Court of Queen's Bench Justice Earl Wilson will deliver his sentence June 9.
Before the trial began, Berndt's victims successfully applied to have a mandatory publication ban lifted.
On Friday, all three delivered their victim impact statements.

children-of-helmut-berndt.jpeg

From left to right, Juanita, Cedric and Lavinia in an undated family photo. (Submitted by Juanita Falkingham)
"This is not my shame to bear," Juanita Falkingham, 40, told the court. "I did nothing wrong but have my childhood and innocence stolen. This shame is now for Helmut to bear."
Her younger brother delivered his victim impact statement via WebEx from Toronto.
"What he did to me destroyed my entire life," Cedric Shui said. "The fact that I survived and moved on is entirely in spite of what he did to me and is a matter of luck more than anything else."
Shui, 38, told the court that he used to worry he would turn out like his father and hurt someone, so he stayed away from his nieces and nephews.
Berndt's youngest child, Lavinia Perreault, 36, had difficulty composing herself on the witness stand as she prepared to deliver her victim impact statement.
Outside court, she told CBC News that she almost lost control when she made a point of looking her father in the eye.
"I just wanted him to know from my expression and my eyes, I just wanted him to know, 'I'm not afraid of you and I want you to hear my words,'" Perreault said.
In her victim impact statement, Perreault revealed that as a teenager she kept a bread knife beside her bed and began to cut herself. "He finally left the house and I stopped cutting."

helmut-berdnt-s-children-in-teen-years.jpeg

Helmut Berndt's three children as teenagers. (Submitted by Lavinia Perreault)
Both sisters told CBC News their father showed no expression while he listened to their victim impact statements.
No apology for daughters in court
Beresh told the judge that his client was not a threat.
"Why would I work on the assumption he's not a threat?" Wilson responded. "He's debauched his three children, for God's sakes."
Beresh clarified there was no evidence of continuing threats and the judge agreed.
Berndt addressed the court after an invitation from the judge.
"In the last few years, I learned how much [my children] hate me and despise me," Berndt said. "I was devastated, and still am, by that knowledge.
"I was even more devastated by the realization that my dear wife Rosalind, who has loved them as only a mother can …is now caught in that circle as well."

mom-with-daughters.jpeg

From left to right, Lavinia Perrault, Rosalind Berndt and Juanita Falkingham in happier days. (Supplied by Juanita Falkingham)
Berndt begged his children to take care of their mother while he is behind bars.
Both his daughters noted that Berndt did not apologize.
"I was shocked that he even spoke and said something," Perreault told CBC News. "Half of me is waiting for that acknowledgement and apology that will never come."
Wilson ordered that Berndt be taken into custody.
Both women remained in the courtroom to see a sheriff take their father away.
They said he made eye contact and glared at them as he was led away to cells.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
Man suspected of killing retired Wisconsin judge identified as Douglas K. Uhde; had been sentenced by Roemer in 2005

Mary Spicuzza, Daniel Bice and Elliot Hughes, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Sat, June 4, 2022 at 10:58 PM

50644dc27b842b059464a85c183c9a8b

Douglas K. Uhde
The Wisconsin Department of Justice on Saturday identified Douglas K. Uhde, 56, as the man suspected of killing retired Judge John Roemer on Friday.
Roemer had sentenced Uhde to six years of prison on a burglary charge in 2005, court records show.
According to a release, law enforcement entered Roemer's home around 10:17 a.m. Friday after "failed attempts" to negotiate with Uhde.
Roemer, 68, was dead. Uhde was found in the basement with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was transported to a hospital and was in critical condition as of Saturday.
Law enforcement recovered a firearm at the scene.
Anyone with information about Uhde should contact the Wisconsin Department of Justice at (608) 266-1221.
John Roemer was second judge to sentence Douglas Uhde in burglary case
In 2002, Uhde was sentenced in Adams County Circuit Court to 10 years in prison and seven years extended supervision, in connection with an August 2001 armed burglary of a township of Quincy home.
Columbia County Circuit Court Judge James Miller also ordered Uhde to undergo psychiatric treatment, have no contact with his victims, and undergo DNA testing.
Uhde entered a no contest plea and was found guilty of burglary, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a short-barreled shotgun, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
More: New Lisbon community grapples with the killing of Wisconsin Judge John Roemer
More: Here's what we know about the targeted killing of retired Wisconsin Judge John Roemer in the town of New Lisbon
There was no shortage of evidence in the case. When officers searched Uhde's car, they found evidence of the burglary, including a short-barreled shotgun and a small pry bar. Officers also were able to match the soles of Uhde's tennis shoes with footprints left in the yard of the residence, the criminal complaint said.
But Uhde then won an appeal and was allowed to withdraw his plea after the 4th District Appellate Court ruled the judge in the case should have explained the state's truth in sentencing rules during the plea hearing. The appellate court decision was later reversed by the state Supreme Court.
The case was reopened and went before Roemer, who in 2005 sentenced Uhde to six years of prison and nine years of extended supervision.
Uhde was released from prison in 2020
Uhde escaped from the Fox Lake Correctional Institution, a minimum-security prison, in 2006, according to online Wisconsin Department of Corrections records. According to authorities, he walked away from custody while painting the inside of a house on the Baraboo Circus World Museum grounds.
He was captured about three weeks later.
Uhde also filed federal and state civil suits over the case, arguing that his right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures was violated when he was arrested in August 2001. Those cases were dismissed.
In April 2020, Uhde was released from Stanley Correctional Institution, a medium-security prison.
Friend in Michigan surprised by allegations against Uhde
The news of Uhde’s alleged involvement came as a shock to a family in Michigan that he was close with for a number of years.
A member of that family, who asked to be identified only by his first name, Joshua, said Uhde had known the family for decades after growing up with Joshua’s father-in-law.
He said he was always aware of Uhde’s past legal troubles but never personally knew him to be a bad presence around his family. He said Uhde “would cherish anyone who was a friend,” and never missed a chance to celebrate a birthday or holiday.
“I’m still kind of expecting someone to say it wasn’t him,” he said.
Uhde stayed with the family in Michigan for a brief period after he was released from prison. Joshua said Uhde collected his belongings and moved south to reunite with family in either Tennessee or Kentucky and start over.
He mostly lost touch with Joshua’s family from there, save for the occasional phone call. Joshua said Uhde had never demonstrated an interest in violence against public officials and he never knew him to be part of a militia, as some news outlets have reported.
“The fact that I’m being told that he did this, it’s gut-wrenching,” Joshua said.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

CAPTURED: Fugitive Child Rape Suspect Jacob Scott Caught In Oklahoma

January 30, 2020 at 5:19 pm
Filed Under:Colorado News

(CBS4) — A fugitive suspected of raping and impregnating his 14-year-old stepdaughter, who investigators thought might be hiding in Colorado, has been captured in Oklahoma. The United States Marshal’s Service recently added 43-year-old Jacob Blair Scott to their Top 15 Most Wanted List.
Jacob-Scott-2.jpg

Jacob Scott (credit: U.S. Marshal’s Service)
Investigators believed Scott faked his own death by launching a boat with a suicide note and a gun off the coast of Orange Beach, Alabama, in July 2018. Investigators found his abandoned dinghy, but “little forensic evidence indicating a suicide.” His remains were never recovered — and authorities later discovered Scott had withdrawn $45,000 from a bank account before his disappearance.
“His military background and knowledge of the outdoors may enable him to live off the grid,” the Marshal’s Service warned.
Jacob-Scott-1.jpg

Jacob Scott (credit: U.S. Marshal’s Service)
“Within hours of our announcement and our plea to the public for information, a tipster called the Pushamataha Sheriff’s Office in Oklahoma and said a man fitting the description of Jacob Scott was staying in an RV park,” Inspector Jeremy Stilwell, the lead investigator on the case for the U.S. Marshals, stated. “We then worked with the local authorities to develop a plan for his arrest.”
“This all-out media blitz led to a critical citizen tip that ultimately resulted in the fastest apprehension of a fugitive in the 37-year history of the 15 Most Wanted program,” said U.S. Marshals Assistant Director for Investigative Operations Jeff Tyler.
“They let me know early, early that they caught him,” the Sun Herald quoted the mother of the child victim as saying. “They said he was living in a camper. We are happy. We are very happy and my daughter just cried. She feels safe now.”
Scott is currently being held at the Pittsburg County Jail in Oklahoma awaiting extradition back to Mississippi. He faces a 14-count indictment charging him with sexual battery, touching a child for lustful purposes, and exploitation of a child.
There had been reported possible sightings of Scott in Mississippi, Colorado, Nevada, and Louisiana.
Authorities are now working to determine if anyone helped Scott in his attempt to fake his own death and avoid capture, the Sun Herald reported.

Jacob Scott, accused child rapist who faked suicide, sentenced to 85 years

A Mississippi man who faked his own suicide in an attempt to avoid criminal charges for child rape has been sentenced to 85 years in prison.

Jacob Blair Scott, 44, was found guilty of one count of child exploitation, four counts of touching a child for lustful purposes, and nine counts of sexual battery.

Jackson County Circuit Judge Kathy King Jackson sentenced Scott to 85 years in prison, plus $10,000 in fines. She said that Scott will essentially be serving a life sentence.

Investigators found Scott’s small boat off the coast of Orange Beach, Alabama, in July 2018. Officials found a gun and a note on the boat, but little forensic evidence indicated that a suicide occurred.

According to the U.S. Marshals, a weeks-long search effort by authorities for Scott’s body failed to find his remains.

When Scott faked his own suicide, he was out on bond and had a scheduled court hearing, but failed to appear. Officials also discovered that Scott took out $45,000 from a bank account before disappearing.

Scott was added to the U.S. Marshals 15 Most Wanted Fugitive List in January 2020 before he was arrested.

Scott was arrested by authorities in 2020 in an Oklahoma RV park and was living under someone else’s name.

Jacob Blair Scott cries while testifying about his family relationships during his sentencing trial in Jackson County Circuit Court in Pascagoula, Mississippi.Hannah Ruhoff/The Sun Herald via AP
Judge Jackson described the evidence in the case as “overwhelming.”

“The evidence is overwhelming,” Jackson said. “It’s more evidence than I’ve probably ever seen.”

The victim testified during the trial, stating that Scott had sexually assaulted her at least 30 times between 2016 and 2017, which stopped when she became pregnant. She gave birth to the baby, according to her testimony.

Jacob Blair Scott is accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old at least 30 times and impregnating her.Hannah Ruhoff/The Sun Herald via AP
District Attorney Angel Myers McIlrath said that the crime was “brazen and so vile.”

“This is the first time in my 18 years I have ever seen anything so brazen and so vile,” McIlrath said. “This is about blaming the 14-year-old. This whole trial was about humiliating the 14-year-old who had no choice.”

Scott said during the trial that mental issues such as post-traumatic stress affected his mental state when the crimes were committed. Scott also pleaded with Jackson to take his mental health into consideration, stating that he was suffering from depression, was heavily medicated, and had relationship issues at the time of the crime that clouded his judgment.

Jackson County Circuit Judge Kathy King Jackson gave Jacob Blair Scott an 85-year prison sentence.Hannah Ruhoff/The Sun Herald via AP
Scott is a military veteran and was awarded a Purple Heart for his service in Iraq, where he was injured, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

A Mercer County woman accused of participating in the 6 January Capitol riot had left behind her six minor children unattended at home to participate in the insurrection, showed court documents.
Rachel Powell had in 2021 “shared custody of six minor children with her ex-husband. When the defendant [Ms Powell] left for Washington DC to attend the events of 6 January, 2021, she left her minor children at home, unattended,” prosecutors said in the court filing on Monday.

The lawyers also pointed to a social media post of the accused from October 2020 about “surveillance of a public official’s home and questioned how to confirm, without entering a courthouse to seek records, that she had the official’s correct address,” according to the court filing posted by Scott MacFarlane, Congressional correspondent with CBS News.

In her post, Ms Powell had said: “I agree with the possibility of civil war happening. I can see that too. Unfortunately, the only way this is probably capable of being fixed is bloodshed because I’m not so sure our government can be fixed the political way anymore...”
Accused of taking part in the demonstration and directing rioters with a bullhorn, Ms Powell has asked the court to lift home detention orders as she awaits a trial. She has also asked for her ankle bracelet for electronic monitoring to be removed, contesting the court’s order and stating that they are burdensome and hurt both her family and work obligations.

She has told the court that in order to pay her defence attorney, she had to sell her home and rent a house near her current employer to keep working, according to a report.

But the house is not enough to raise her three teenage sons, Ms Powell said in her motion, adding that her problem is compounded by her current living situation which she claimed is dangerous, citing an episode in which her son fell into a nearby lake while fishing.

She said in court that she could not help rescue the boy due to her ankle bracelet and the curfew.
She also cited the “inherent mischief-making capacity of teenage boys” and said her children are missing out on extracurricular school activities as she cannot drive them to school and for sports activities, the report added.
Ms Powell also told the court that she will end up missing the marriage of an older child and her grandchild’s birth due to the curfew.

The pro-Trump supporter has been accused of rioting and was charged on eight counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, destruction of government property, remaining in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct in a Capitol building and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building.
She has pleaded not guilty on all the charges in the hearings.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
Documentary filmmaker who followed the Proud Boys during the attack on the Capitol will show new, never before seen footage from January 6 during the hearings tonight.