Official NBA 2016-2017 Thread - 30 teams, 1 goal. 2 weeks left, so much can happen!!

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Monday night doubleheaders coming to TNT next season
557f72c31f867.image_.jpg

Despite showing less games, TNT has cemented its place on top of the NBA media ladder alongside ESPN, providing excellent coverage and commentary from their Inside the NBA crew. Next season, basketball fans will get more of TNT basketball as their coverage will extend to include Monday night doubleheaders.

The new coverage will begin on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which is January 16. First, TNT will air the NBA Finals rematch between theCavaliers and Warriors in Oakland, followed by the Thunder visiting the Clippers in Los Angeles.

Other top games include Kevin Durant and the Warriors playing his former Thunder team on March 20 and the Cavs taking on theSpurs on March 27.

Overall, TNT will host 64 televised games next season, including the season opener between the Cavs and Knicks on October 25. The Monday night doubleheaders will occur 10 times on TNT.

Below is the full doubleheader schedule, via Turner’s official press release:

Jan. 16
Cleveland Cavaliers at Golden State Warriors, 8 p.m. ET
Oklahoma City Thunder at Los Angeles Clippers, 10:30 p.m. ET

Jan. 23
New York Knicks at Indiana Pacers, 8 p.m. ET
Oklahoma City Thunder at Los Angeles Clippers

Jan. 30
Detroit Pistons at Boston Celtics, 8 p.m. ET
Memphis Grizzlies at Phoenix Suns, 10:30 p.m. ET

Feb. 6
Los Angeles Lakers at New York Knicks, 7 p.m. ET
San Antonio Spurs at Memphis Grizzlies, 9:30 p.m. ET

Feb. 13
San Antonio Spurs at Indiana Pacers, 8 p.m. ET
Atlanta Hawks at Portland Trail Blazers, 10:30 p.m. ET

Feb. 27
Toronto Raptors at New York Knicks, 7 p.m. ET
Miami Heat at Dallas Mavericks, 9:30 p.m. ET

March 6
Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Hornets, 8 p.m. ET
Boston Celtics at Los Angeles Clippers, 10:30 p.m. ET

March 13
Atlanta Hawks at San Antonio Spurs, 8 p.m. ET
Los Angeles Lakers at Denver Nuggets, 10:30 p.m. ET

March 20
Golden State Warriors at Oklahoma City Thunder, 8 p.m. ET
New York Knicks at Los Angeles Clippers, 10:30 p.m. ET

March 27
Cleveland Cavaliers at San Antonio Spurs, 8 p.m. ET
New Orleans Pelicans at Utah Jazz, 10:30 p.m. ET

April 10
Washington Wizards at Detroit Pistons, 8 p.m. ET
Houston Rockets at Los Angeles Clippers, 10:30 p.m. ET

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Carmelo Anthony doesn’t understand how J.R. Smith is still unsigned
Carmelo-Anthony-Cavs-J.R.-Smith.png

Jason Miller | Getty Images

The Cleveland Cavaliers have still not re-signed free agent J.R. Smith to a contract despite a week of training camp having passed by. Cavs players have been hanging out with Smith outside of basketball at the movies and even at the Kanye West “Saint Pablo” Tour at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday night.

Both Smith and the Cavs have been trying to come to an agreement on a deal before training camp, but now this situation doesn’t look like it will be resolved until the NBA season draws much closer. Cleveland will be receiving it’s 2016 NBA Championship rings while seeing the banner go up in the rafters on October 25th. J.R. Smith more than deserves to be there, and the Cavs aren’t the only ones that think so.

During this past week’s training camp, a former teammate of Smith’s, Carmelo Anthony, came out and publicly questioned why the Cavs have not re-signed their starting shooting guard. Per Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“I don’t know what’s going on over there with that. I hope they don’t prolong the situation. He helped them win that championship. He was a major part of that team, and I hope they can get something done. If not, we’ll see him somewhere else.”

Smith spent three-and-a-half seasons with the New York Knicks from 2011 to January of 2015 when he was traded to the Cavs. All of those years, including his Sixth Man of the Year award in 2012-13, were spent with Anthony.

When asked about the chance of seeing his good friend J.R. Smith receiving a ring in person on opening night, Anthony said he hopes he can.

Smith is looking for around $15 million per season and about three years on the deal. So far, the Cavs have failed to offer him a significant deal he sees respectable enough to accept, but one would have to think that dragging this further into the preseason and possibly even the regular season would be detrimental to what the Cavs are trying to accomplish this season.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Kevin Love is tired of all the trade talk involving his name
kev-jersey.jpeg

Steve Mitchell | USA Today Sports

Since its creation, Kevin Love has always been the odd man in the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Big Three. No matter how management and teammates vouch for his importance to the team, the chatter about him not fitting in always find its way to the news wire.

His defense will always be suspect and it essentially takes him out against most small ball lineups. But the East playoffs was a good stage for Love to show everyone how important he is to the Cavs’ scheme of things.

Against traditional teams, which is almost every team except for the Golden State Warriors, Kevin Love is such an asset. He is the East’s best shooting big man after all, and that is a privilege that Kyrie Irving and LeBron James have enjoyed.

Still, his name gets thrown out in trade rumors. That’s not going to matter anymore, it seems, and Love simply doesn’t pay attention to all those talk.

He just won a championship. He also made the biggest defensive stop in franchise history, over the first unanimous MVP of the league whom he had no business guarding. Yet, people see him as a tradeable piece?

As good as the Warriors are, they are still not exempted from being on the receiving end of an upset. The Cavs aren’t playing their season for Golden State, rather, this team will make opponents react to their play. And Kevin Love will be a big part of it.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
checking in... okc got 22 televised games, we good. guess we competing with portland for that 4-5 seed in the west . the sixers are cursed

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Kanye West congratulates Cleveland championship during trophy set
kanye-lebron.jpg

Larry Busacca | Getty Images

What a time to be in the Land. Counting down the days before an Indians playoff run and the Cavaliers championship defense, Ohio’s mistake on the lake is now swelling in the spotlight with the arrival of attention. Before the Cavs’ season opening Wine and Gold scrimmage on Sunday, Kanye West gave Cleveland another taste of fame.

West supposedly sent a signal of congratulations with his magical floating stage using an alignment familiar to the higher order outcome of June. While maniacs in the mosh like LeBron James, Tristan Thompson, Richard Jefferson and Dahntay Jones couldn’t make out the Larry O’Brien, it does appear like a pleasant coincidence for America’s newest city of champions.

West did vocally congratulate the Cavs after a couple opening songs to his Life of Pablo tour. With tens of thousands in witness, he gave Cleveland a special and surprisingly emotional night. However, it wasn’t the first time Yeezy cracked a smile for the Cavs…

Last edited:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Cavs Nation ‏@CavsNationNet
Baseline preview of the Q's new hardwood!

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Robert Horry reveals how many NBA Championships he thinks LeBron James can win
LeBron-Scream-Records.png

USA TODAY Sports

Hall of fame and seven time NBA world champion Robert Horry has stated he believes LeBron James can pass some of the all-time greats, and end up with perhaps the second most championships of all time.

Horry collected seven historic championships during his time with the Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, and the Los Angeles Lakers. In NBA history, he only trails Tom Sanders, K.C. Jones, Tom Heinsohn, John Havlicek with eight, Sam Jones with ten, and the legendary Bill Russell with eleven total NBA Championshipd. Many NBA fans see Horry’s achievements as perhaps the most impressive, as he won championships in a more competitive and advanced era, but “big shot Rob” thinks the King can be right up there with the other historic names for total number of championship rings.

In an interview with Max Resetar of SLAM Magazine, Horry claimed LeBron could be the one to surpass his achievements, and believes his best basketball is still ahead of him.

Resetar: Do you think we’ll ever see someone win seven championships again?

Horry: I look at LeBron James, the fact that he started out so young. He’s somebody that can do a lot of things. He’s probably going to play about six more years, the way he keeps his body up, the machine that he is,” says Horry. “He could have the opportunity to bypass me and get close to, I’m not going to say Bill, but I’d say Sam Jones. Sam had 10. I think he’d be close to that range, if he’s able to stay healthy and he stays in the right situation.”

If Horry is correct in his statement, it would leave little doubt who the greatest player of all time truly is. There would be no argument, as the three-to-six ring comparison is the only ammunition people have to discredit his greatness or not label him as the greatest of all time (or ‘GOAT’) already. James has always possessed the talent to be on the NBA’s Mount Rushmore, and now he’s added three championships as well as another Finals MVP to further solidify his case.

James recently signed a three-year deal with the Cavaliers, which only further indicates his happiness with the situation he’s in to not only continue to be successful and compete for championships, but also be at home where he truly belongs. With the main core of the team in Kyrie Irving (24 years old), Kevin Love (28 years old), and Tristan Thompson (25 years old) being relatively young, there is no reason the Cavs shouldn’t be on the doorstep of the NBA Finals every season. Furthermore, all three of those players still have their best basketball ahead of them under head coach Tyronn Lue. Along with other promising young talent, if the Cavaliers continue to surround LeBron with savvy veterans and productive pieces, the Cavs should be competing for championships for the foreseeable future.

With James continuing to convey his message of winning and chasing greatness this summer, Cavs fans as well as NBA fans in general should be excited about what the King can achieve next. Buckle those seatbelts, sit back, and enjoy the ride, because the King isn’t done yet.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Stephen Curry and the Warriors take control of their own narrative

Recently, near the beginning of training camp, Stephen Curry sat down and addressed the media while sitting court-side in the Warriors’ practice facility. A reporter asked him a seemingly innocuous question, and Steph’s answer got me thinking.

Question: “How would compare the motivation, coming off of, you know, a year ago where people were detractors, saying you guys were lucky, or it was kind of a fluke run. And then this year, you’re actually coming off a year where you didn’t accomplish your goals. Was the motivation different this summer?”

Answer: [Steph grits his teeth, looks around] “Yeah, this is more ... real for us because we felt, you know, what we felt after Game 7 and all summer. Weexperienced that, it wasn’t something that was coming at us. So that’s—it’s better when you’re motivated from how you feel and what experiences you’ve had, versus how other people see your team and your journey and whatnot. So that’s, this is more real for us. Coming off a loss.”

You can watch his whole response right here:

Beyond his candid demeanor and refreshingly honest assessment of his own game and of his team’s position, Curry’s answer struck me in a number of ways.

For one, he’s right. Experience is the greatest professor of them all. You can’t teach disappointment, just as you can’t teach glory and pure joy. You can tell your kid not to run around, tell them that they’re gonna trip and fall and get hurt, but there’s no way they’re gonna listen to you until they’ve run headlong into the corner of a door and gotten a black eye. This analogy is also true for coming of age, figuring out how not to die as an adult, and making (relatively) sound decisions. [My mother sagely nods her head, reminiscing about my life between age 19 to 22...okay, let’s say 27].

The Warriors are no fluke. They are not some flash in the pan team, only destined to make it to a single Finals and eventually disband (taking a hard look at you, OKC Thunder. Lol at that Harden trade, you bunch of dumby dumb dumbs). The Warriors’ style of play—the freedom with which they approach floor spacing, outside shooting, and ball movement—has revolutionized the game. Long gone are the days of iso ball, action solely dominated by a big man in the post, and Kobe-stan-level arrogant solo heroics.

The Warriors have proven that chemistry, teamwork, and flow are the most important elements of play in this new NBA.

And yet, yes...

Man, I hate even typing these words.

Maybe I’ll go find some stupid gif or something instead so I don’t have to type the words.

Hold up, I’ll be right back.

[...]

Oh, this will do nicely.

Ugh.

Yeah, so that happened. And, no, I don’t want to talk about it. But I do have to talk about it.

The Warriors’ sense of pride took a serious f’ing beating last summer. Yes, they went 73-9. Yes, Curry got injured in the playoffs. Yes, he returned and somehow lead them back from their own 3-1 hole in the Western Conference Finals against Durant’s OKC team. And, then, yes, they blew a 3-1 lead against the Cleveland Cavaliers, becoming the first team in history to do so in the NBA finals.

Damn it all.

But, we know how the story goes. The team immediately rebounded by signing the most important free agent acquisition in team history. In the process they jettisoned Harrison Barnes (Ivan was happy) and Andrew Bogut (Ivan was sad). They’ve been through the fire. They have faced andcontinue to face a barrage of criticism from every imaginable corner.

I mean, come on. This isn’t even fair.

Lol, okay, I did laugh at that a little bit. But this whole “Warriors blew a ...” wait, no no no, I promised I wouldn’t and I won’t. The whole meme has taken on a life of its own. If aliens were to check in on our internetting habits right now, they’d figure it was a good time to attack because apparently our best fighters are currently crippled by insecurity and self doubt due to some ignominious defeat in the Finals (whatever those are). Aliens, if you are reading this, please do not attack us. I’m having too much fun down here and I’m not ready to be conscripted onto some hellish post-world battlefield. Noooooo thank you. Anyways, like I was saying, it’s the meme that won’t die.

But, getting back to my initial point: Beyond an annoying meme and a torrent of backlash following the Durant signing, Curry addressed something in his response that I found very true.

“It’s better when you’re motivated from how you feel and what experiences you’ve had, versus how other people see your team and your journey and whatnot. So that’s, this is more real for us. Coming off a loss.”

Experience vs. perception is a long running battle that each and every human being has encountered. People perceive you to be one thing, but your own experiences often paint a vastly different internal landscape. For example, y’all perceive me as a witty, talented sportswriter with untold riches and a wily sense of humor, but in reality I’ve been crushed by the unexpected onslaught of the end of my twenties, and have only very recently begun to make any sort of sane, rational decisions in regards to my health, well being, and financial longevity.

See how that works?

Perception and reality are almost always completely different animals. In the case of the Warriors, they began as a total underdog. They were the laughingstock of the league. [[Note: Longtime fans are still reeling in the surreality of the fact that the Warriors are good, and will continue to be good for some time. A championship? We’re talking about achampionship?! (I’m saying this currently to myself in the Iverson voice) Yes, a championship.]] But, initially, the perception of the Warriors was that they were garbage (and they were). Then, Curry came along, and the perception was of a fun team with too many short guards. Then Monta got traded, Lacob got booed, and the perception was of a team that could potentially be good, but most definitely never would be. Then the team beat the Nuggets in the playoffs, and the perception was of an exciting, upwardsly-mobile franchise with no hope of a ring. Then, Mark Jackson got fired and Steve Kerr came in and —whoaaaaaaaaa what just happened?! They went on a tear, Kerr’s new offense ripped apart the league’s defenses, and the Warriors won a championship against a depleted Cavaliers squad. The perception outside of the Bay Area was then that they were either, a.) extremely lucky, or, b.) a fluke.

But the reality of the situation was that, at each and every moment in their journey, the team was something much deeper than any of our perceived notions. As Curry said, they’ve taken control of their own narrative. You can see the resolve in his eyes. No one outside that locker room knows the true nature of this Warriors team. How could we? We aren’t living and breathing their reality. Sure, we all felt pretty shitty after Game 7, but we definitely didn’t feel as shitty as any of the dudes who actually played or coached in that game. It’s not our journey to own, it’s theirs. It’s not our life to live, it’s theirs.

How our perception of this team—not just this specific team but their legacy within the fabric of the history of the NBA—gets framed this season will be interesting to observe. Will they continue to be the NBA’s villains? Also, how can Steph and Durant be villainous? They’re so darn polite (most of the time). What will be the narrative at season’s end? Will they win a ring? Will they blow another lead? Will people jump down their throats every time something bad happens on court?

Who knows.

Either way, I get the feeling that Steph and the rest of the team doesn’t care. Not even a little bit. They’re making their own narrative within the safe confines of that locker room. For us, all we can do is sit back, crack a drink, and watch the fireworks.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors - Full Game Highlights
| Oct 1, 2016
| 2016 NBA Preseason

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Houston Rockets vs Shanghai Sharks - Full Game Highlights
| October 2, 2016
| 2016-17 NBA Preseason

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Cleveland Cavaliers - Real Training Camp
| September 28, 2016
| 2016-17 NBA Season

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
First Take - Is Lebron James still in his Prime Years or is he Close to Retiring?

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Breaking: The Cavs have signed Toney Douglas to a non-guaranteed contract. Adding some much needed PG depth.

JR Smith tweeted this shortly after the Cavs signed Toney Douglas.

Cavs fan should be worried at this point that JR Smith is not signed. A man can only take so much disrespect before he up and leaves.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Sacramento Kings’ new arena will have all-gender bathrooms

The Charlotte Hornets lost the 2017 All-Star game largely because of the controversial “bathroom law” in North Carolina in July. Less than three months later, a different NBA team announced it will have transgender bathrooms in its new arena.

Golden 1 Center is slated to open in October as the new home arena of the Sacramento Kings. When it opens, fans will be treated to more than the usual male and female bathroom options.

There will be 23 bathrooms at Golden Center that will be labeled as “All Gender.” On top of that, a team spokesman told reporters that all 54 of the multiple occupancy restrooms will be open for fans regardless of gender.

“The Sacramento Kings are leading not only the NBA, but sports worldwide in building the first arena to ensure transgender fans are fully respected and welcomed,” Rick Zbur, the executive director of Equality California,told the Sacramento Bee.

“(The Kings) wanted to ensure the very best fan experience for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity,” Kings Chairman Vivek Ranadive said in a statement.

Once again, this is nearly the complete opposite of the situation in North Carolina that caused the NBA to move the 2017 NBA All-Star Game from Charlotte to New Orleans.

In North Carolina, the NC House recently passed legislation prohibiting people from using restrooms that don’t align with the gender on their birth certificate. In Sacramento, fans will be able to use whatever bathroom they choose, regardless of their birth certificate.

According to the Sacramento Bee, transgender-rights advocates believe Golden 1 Center will be the first sporting arena in the world with all-gender restrooms. While family-friendly restrooms have been in arenas and stadiums for years, Golden 1’s restroom policy is a big step forward.

The arena isn’t even open yet, but fans have already started to praise Golden 1 Center for its big step forward.

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
Ok look, i'm not homophobic at all and I haven't really been paying attention but this "all gender" bathroom idea is trash. They're trying to make a way for transgenders but doesn't that also mean a co-ed bathroom? Like a %100 straight dude can go in that bathroom with a %100 female and be good? Am I reaching?

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Ok look, i'm not homophobic at all and I haven't really been paying attention but this "all gender" bathroom idea is trash. They're trying to make a way for transgenders but doesn't that also mean a co-ed bathroom? Like a %100 straight dude can go in that bathroom with a %100 female and be good? Am I reaching?

Nope you ain't reaching and really don't have to pay attention the latest happening to know that fuck shit.

Motherfucker u ain't that confused to not know what restroom you should go in.
Wanting to be something and the reality of what you exactly is are two completely different things

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
Man...........my Nuggets looked good last night. But I hate preseason basketball so i'm not really hype. Just glad to see basketball back.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Man...........my Nuggets looked good last night. But I hate preseason basketball so i'm not really hype. Just glad to see basketball back.

Man I think I saw this exact post last year

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
Man I think I saw this exact post last year

Probably. RR wasn't lying. I get hype every year only to be let down a month or so into the season.(post George Karl era) Shit goes downhill fast now. BUT i will never not get hype to see my boys play.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Probably. RR wasn't lying. I get hype every year only to be let down a month or so into the season.(post George Karl era) Shit goes downhill fast now. BUT i will never not get hype to see my boys play.

I can dig that....

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Damian Lillard on the thought of joining a super team: "I might have too much pride to join a super team".

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

i still think yall have a lot of softies nobody really scares me on your team.

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
i still think yall have a lot of softies nobody really scares me on your team.

Yo that dude Nurkic bodies dudes. He the only one though. Look him up. Wilson Chandler could do some damage if he can stay healthy.

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yo that dude Nurkic bodies dudes. He the only one though. Look him up. Wilson Chandler could do some damage if he can stay healthy.

is it me or Wilson chandler has been in the league for a min ...Nurkic is not athletic but the dude can pass and his foot work is good...the point guard yall drafted last year is ok... Murray looks like he will struggle with the speed in the league.